Shug 08-Jul-15
TSI 08-Jul-15
Rob Nye 08-Jul-15
Zbone 09-Jul-15
buc i 313 09-Jul-15
NJ_Bowhntr 09-Jul-15
Ollie 09-Jul-15
30-Jun-15
I've heard a shed was found in Illinois that would have been a potential new world record typical. What state or province is your bet for where the next new world record will come from?

Typical and Nontypical...?

30-Jun-15
Where in IL? :)

30-Jun-15
bow or gun world record?

30-Jun-15
Mel Johnson's Typical, Whitetail record has stood since 1965 and is currently the longest standing record of the 29 North American specie. The reason this record will be tough to beat is once a deer reaches maturity (4.5+) the rack develops some sort of abnormal points which either lead to deductions or qualify the rack as Non-Typical.

To answer your question there are many places where a new record could come from but my guess is where I'm not:)

30-Jun-15
West Virginia bow only zone...

30-Jun-15
Wow! Didn't know that about the Johnson buck

30-Jun-15

Cottonwood88's embedded Photo
Cottonwood88's embedded Photo
I'd say the usual places, central Illinois or Iowa. Kansas, Kentucky, and Ohio are real sleepers. With Rifle you have to throw Saskawan in the mix.

30-Jun-15
It's going to come from Kansas... Everyone go hunt there. :)

30-Jun-15
If iowa was a 1 buck state it would get my vote. They finally did away with the late doe season. If we have a couple of wet falls any Midwest state that has lots of corn could produce a big buck. In 2009 it was very wet that fall. Lots of standing corn during gun season. The following year there was some very good bucks shot. It could come from Canada as well.

Charlie is spot on about the 4.5 year old and abnormal points after that age.

30-Jun-15
Speaking of 4.5 year olds and abnormal points, once read where although they never saved the jaw bone and had it analyzed, they think the Milo Hansen buck was only 3.5 years old... Had he reached 4.5 or older, would he have stayed clean of stickers and still grew a WR rack... Food for thought....

30-Jun-15
I'd go Alberta..

30-Jun-15
Thoughts on a typical record deer.

WI would be my first guess.

Nebraska is high on the list.

Iowa produces great deer but has not been a producer of the best typicals. No idea why. Still could be a decent chance.

Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois and even Missouri warrant strong consideration.

Kansas, which I am most familiar with is not really much of a contender today. Most of the state has sparse cover and vulnerable deer. We no longer manage for anything except the NR dollar.

30-Jun-15
If its quality vs numbers, then yes Wisconsin should be right up there. There is just more deer in Wis than other states like Ill. and IA. Resent Pope and Young entries strongly favor Wis as well. The King Buck came very close. With that said, I have seen footage from a live Iowa deer that most certainly would break the P&Y and potentially the BC mark. I have also seen some great sheds from my home sate of Ill that would have surpassed the WR. Fun to dream about huge typicals! Ha!

30-Jun-15
WI would be my bet, or a Canadian province

But like others have said, it could come from about anywhere.

I wouldn't rule out Eastern CO either

30-Jun-15
New Jersey, maybe Connecticut.

30-Jun-15
Statistical probability will need alot of habitat and thus alot of deer.WI/IL will have more 4.5+ year old deer in it than other states.

Based on that I will choose Iowa on a best typical genetics hunch (12 point frames) :)

Kansas simply doesn't put enough fawns on the ground to warrant consideration.

30-Jun-15
WI needs to increase it's NR license to match IA's!

30-Jun-15
British Columbia.

30-Jun-15
Grand Traverse County, Michigan. They manufacture some giant typicals there!

30-Jun-15
Alabarkansas by TBM

30-Jun-15
According to the old TBM, T-Mac, he's killed a couple equivalent WR bucks in Alabama. Using his odd scale, of course.

30-Jun-15
What about nontypical WR? Don't forget the other half of the question!

30-Jun-15
It will NOT be WI. We have an extremely greedy DNR that manages for money and doesn't give a crap about quality or quality of the hunt. Don't get me wrong, it's a great state and we have some awesome deer hunting. But that's in spite of the WI DNR, not due to them.

30-Jun-15
Iowa

30-Jun-15
When I think of WR, I think size, not method.

NT WR is far harder to pinpoint that typical. It could come from any area that can grow bone quantity. No huge typical frame or good genetics required. (Though it would help.) I would say that any state that has a few 250+ NT bucks could do it. Or, even a state that does not have one still has a chance.

The situation today is that with the common use of trail cameras, excessively long seasons, unlimited buck harvest and generally high pressure, bucks with lots of bone are targeted and killed before they get a chance to reach the age that produces record animals. Some bucks do reach the age but they are seldom the prime specimens. Too many people looking year round. Shed hunting, shining etc. Just going to be tough to best the present records. Record animals are by definition rare. They are also a product of excess production and under utilization. Where in the whitetail world today do we find great genetics, great forage and significant under harvest over a broad area? The answer is very close to nowhere. So, the answer to where will the next WR come from is about the same. Likely nowhere.

30-Jun-15
Please, anywhere but Kansas.

Charlie is right. Both our whitetails and mule deer tend to develop too many "treasure' points for a high net score.

If it happens, will probably be on some ultra-private land that's managed for trophy hunting.

Interesting how many very nice bucks on the new Realtree Monster Bucks videos. More from Kansas than anywhere, again.

Some nice gross scores, but not net because of deductions.

30-Jun-15
I'd wager either Iowa or Wisconsin.

Gotta love that pic of Mel Johnson and his buck. Plaid shirt, buzz cut, recurve and a Bear quiver full of woodies. What a monster deer.

30-Jun-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Ghost: Mel Johnson was 31 when he shot his "bean field" buck. He is now 80 and has held the world record for almost 50 years. This picture was taken at the Rochester P&Y Convention in 2011. Such a nice man to patiently answer my many questions!! C

30-Jun-15
My prediction, as said above, whether typical or nontypical, if it happens, the next WR with archery equipment, will likely come out of the WV bow only zone, but here is a trivia question - With the records books changing throughout the years, how my P&Y WR whitetails have been killed with compound bows?

30-Jun-15
I'm going with Saskatchewan. Habitat is all there for them to often grow to full potential. Now with technology we are able to hold out a little better than 20 years ago and it seems that a lot of hunters in sask are into letting them grow to full potential. That also helps

30-Jun-15
Mel Johnson also loves turkey hunting and years back elk hunting !

30-Jun-15
Anyone of the the states mentioned could produce a world record typical. A certain of conditions have to exist with the correct genetics, ample food sources throughout the year, good rainfall, and the ability to live possibly 5+ years.

Iowa, Illinois, Kansas, Saskatchewan, and Wisconsin could all have the propensity to put out a world record due to strong numbers in the record books.

Maybe, WV like Zbone stated but I think that DNA is in the develoment stage even though 190ish buck was killed there this year. Those hillbillies may not let a world record survive if they knew about it. Oh, by the way am originally from WV.

I think the world record may be home grown on some QDM land.

A world record will eventually show up if the right set of circumstances all line up.

Minnesota management practices do not support growing huge bucks but it has produced several that push the limit.

My guess would be a Midwest state that was hit hard with EHD and is on the rebound. Lower deer densities mean more food which is critical to overall development. Areas that traditionally had great DNA which had fallen below the radar due to EHD with someone practicing QDM would facilitate the occurrence.

30-Jun-15
Illinois! Within 50 miles of Peoria County, this area is still arguably some of the best whitetail hunting there is.

30-Jun-15
Edmonton bow only zone

30-Jun-15
A lot of talk about age structure, but some huge deer have been pretty young.

R., were you on the panel that scored the Hanson buck?

30-Jun-15

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
The antler world and record books are severely diluted in my opinion since most of us are not on equal footing. Those who lease land and have exclusive rights to managed deer are not on the same footing as guys hunting community spots and public land. The level of management is light years ahead of typical private land even 20 years ago.

Here's a Kansas collector with a world record breaker that was grown on a game farm. They are fed well, allowed to mature and monitored with cameras and microchips. I have a shed antler most probably from the Kansas King that scores 98 inches clean. It was most likely from the buck when he was only 3.5 years old. It should be featured in an upcoming North American Whitetail issue this fall.

My point is that the typical record may be vulnerable to a young deer with super genetics that has not yet developed non-typical points to lower the net score.

30-Jun-15
Which Kansas King? We've had several in the past and will have several more in the future.

30-Jun-15
Colorado or Texas

30-Jun-15
I hunted near the Alberta Bow Zone last year and my outfitter seemed to think the Bow Zone hit it's peak years ago and is somewhat on a decline due to habitat issues and too much hunting pressure.

30-Jun-15
The original Kansas King matching sheds that were picked up in early 90's that netted 217 typical and is currently owned by Bass Pro Shops.

30-Jun-15
I'm hoping Missouri, say out side of LaPlata:). Not likely, but I can dream right.

30-Jun-15
I think the original Kansas King sheds also had a broken tine that was fixed by a Missouri minister, and he had them for sale, fixed...and kinda wasn't telling at least one prospective buyer the whole story. :-)

30-Jun-15
Ohio is as good a guess as any.

30-Jun-15
Some metropolitan suburb/area that opens up for archery only hunting for the first time.

30-Jun-15
micro chips are you talking hifence deer

30-Jun-15
Some place where deer can eat a lot of corn and/or soybeans and have ample water.

30-Jun-15
I know where and when it will be. If you wire my bank in the Cayman Islands $5000.00 I will send you a map and provide date and time to be there.

30-Jun-15
Ohio

30-Jun-15
Frankly for all the land the Drury's, the Lakoski's, and other heavily managed large parcels, I'm surprised it hasn't been beat yet.

30-Jun-15
Agriculture sure helps. What hasn't been taken into account in this discussion is the fact that the subspecies of deer that live in the midwest require more nutrition to notice their potential. (Bigger bodied deer.) So, age becomes the factor they lack to become all they can be. With age comes abnormal growth. Which is what makes typical deer that big nearly impossible to achieve.

While the bow only zone in WV produces some monster deer every year, those deer get age on them. So, typical probably isn't in it for this area. Neither is nontypical due to the lack of agriculture to fuel the abnormal growth that comes with age. I simply don't see it. The glory days are gone for this area. Believe me, you may just now be hearing about it but, take it from a guy that has aged with the changes, there are far fewer big deer in this area right now than a decade ago. However, timber harvest has been aggressive, as has mountain top mining, so nutrition won't be the limiting factor it has been in the past. So, time will tell.

I really do look for the New Typical Bow Record to come from Ohio or Kentucky. They have decreased the herd, improving the conditions for the deer. If not from there, Eastern VA. Best kept secret in Whitetail hunting. Soybeans, peanuts, tobacco, wheat, corn, etc.. Everything needed to feed them and the cover to hide them. If dog hunting were to be outlawed, there is enough of what the deer need, after recently stopping a decade of endless buck harvest, to make it happen. The way deer management is becoming paramount, hound hunting is quickly dying anyway. So, time will tell the potential a less stressed, older buck herd has in this otherwise mild climate, to re-write the record books. It's a lot like the WV bow zone in the fact the deer are kinda a well kept secret. But, they kill some huge deer in Eastern VA every year and, have the resources to maximize their potential. It's a real-deal sleeper area for sure.

I look for the next Non typical World Record to come from Saskatchewan. Good range to get the age and the feed necessary to maximize it. God Bless

30-Jun-15
You guys have a point. It will undoubtedly be in a state or area that has great genetics, but as has been mentioned, with all of the extreme qdm practices by so many and even especially so by those in the "business" you would think it would have been done already, if it were that simple.

What I mean by that is, we can grow extremely nice bucks, absolute eye poppers, but we cannot seem to be able to just grow a world record, other than in high fenced and ultra-heavily controlled conditions.

I guess what I am saying is, any of these places mentioned, have the potential to grow a new world record, but that is all they have, the possible potential. Meaning that finding a new world record, will be like winning the lottery. Everything, absolutely everything must align perfectly, then it will happen. But if the situation isn't absolutely perfect, and I mean planet aligning perfect, it just won't happen. Easily every year, a possible world record contender, could be shot at the age of 2, or die from an automobile collision or from EHD. So what I am getting at, is that I would speculate that out of the hundreds of thousands of deer born each year, maybe only one or two will have the earnest potential of breaking records, but we will never know, until it happens.

Sorry if this sounds loofy to you guys, I am simply trying to say that all aspects must become absolutely perfect, and even then, a hunter must have an opportunity at that animal. And we all know that once a buck gets around 3.5, with each passing year, he will get more and more elusive. That is what is so great to me about hunting mature bucks, it is almost like Christmas each fall as we watch - if we get the opportunity - our area bucks grow.

Good luck to everyone, maybe you will get a chance at a new world record this year.

01-Jul-15
Dang, Todd and WV are getting me all fired up. Good points, fellas. I think it would be awesome for a fella bowsiter to kill it. That would be awesome!

01-Jul-15
I hope Mel's deer is never beat!.... besides The Del Austin Buck and Mel's Buck were "recurve kills" and I don't think either one of them could ever be topped by another 'recurve shooter' .... I've been lucky to be close friends with both men and .... The Rompola Buck from Michigan was a close contender over Mel's buck (even some don't think it was real .... but it was real!)

The Beatty Buck from Ohio is the highest COMPOUND non-typical taken to date. (no gun kills count in bow hunting) so The Jordan Buck and The Hanson Buck from Canada do not count either.

If I had taken a WR Whitetail, only about 10 people would of ever known....IF I had to guess on a New World Record though ....by 'bow' .... scoring above Del's or Mel's .... I'd say Alberta and Iowa / Kansas! We now have 100,000 times more people hunting with a bow now than back when and Mel's has never been beat and it will be 50 years standing this fall! ....I hope it is never beat while Mel is still here .....

01-Jul-15
Huh.... I'd have thought MI and a touch of bondo..... heheheh....

01-Jul-15
"I hope Mel's deer is never beat!.... besides The Del Austin Buck and Mel's Buck were "recurve kills" and I don't think either one of them could ever be topped by another 'recurve shooter' .... "

Well, I'm asking and I'm using a 54' recurve, haha.

01-Jul-15
and I'm hunting Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. Maybe Montana, but just for fun.

01-Jul-15
I tried to hunt Kansas this year instead but an outfitter and sponsor here has broken my trust with him. I am waiting for remedy otherwise I will reveal his name and what happened. Can't stand dishonesty. That said, I have taken all of my bucks so far on my own and that's how I would prefer to hunt.

01-Jul-15
HH, yes it would take away some of Mel's fun but he has been enjoying things for a long time and it would make another fella happy. I'm only joking about my chances, although I'm hunting big deer which to me is 150 and up. I passed on a nice 140 class buck last year at less than 20 yds. so far I have zip for big deer (other than some mulies) and I guess the odds are one in a million. What is fun is the challenge...

01-Jul-15
When was the last time you saw a 7' 6" human? Even with prime food, genetics and time it is still a huge "one in a million"!

Thankfully we are not talking about Genetically altering pen reared whitetails.

01-Jul-15
We already had a new world record, in Wisconsin shot in Grant County and better than the Jordon Buck and Milo Hansens buck...

However, the young guy sold it, the owner, did not have it scored in Wis and then the controversy started......

Finally scored as a non typical....... that's a shame, I was able to look at the buck, I just shook my head, ,,,,,,,,,,,

With all due respect to the B&C scorers, I will keep my opinion to myself, rules are rules.....

But I will say, I use to believe in the scorers, and in integrity, but I do not anymore.........

That King buck is the real deal,,,,,, its too bad....

01-Jul-15
Answer to the trivia, is 1... The nontypical Beatty Buck...

Since the establishment of the P&Y records keeping and the WR whitetails both typical and nontypical being surpassed many times through the years, only the Beatty Buck was killed with a compound, all the rest were taken with traditional equipment...

01-Jul-15
Herm i need to adorn Mels Flanel colored shirt and a pipe while chasing deer, Millions of Millions of whitetils have been killed since 65 . Many awseome bucks killed at 3 years old . id say 90% of all deer killed a less then 2 .

David i have seen HH pass on bucks i wish i had in bow range im talking 170 plus all before the days of micro managed farms. The last buck HH killed that i know of is close to 180 with less then 15 inch inside Herm and Judy are two of the best whitetail hunters and great folks.

01-Jul-15
Charlie, in ten years we will really have a mess sorting out what is a natural deer and what isn't. A lot of the genetically bred deer today are big antlered freaks. But some breeders are now going for typical racks. What happens when some mega typically bucks are released in a large ranch and several generations later one of their now wild offspring is a 230" typical?

01-Jul-15
"David A." get out there and chase them big animals. FUN is what it is all about and your own personal satisfaction. The challenge is everything too. Fame & Fortune is way over rated and to me personally don't mean anything.

Alberta would be my #1 choice and I think that a serious bow hunter should spend the whole bow season there chasing his / her personal dream. (some fantastic Muley's there too) ... my one regret in life is that I never took the time for Alberta!

01-Jul-15
David it is happening as we speak folks raising deer often have too many to feed , not allowed to be sold as meat, open the gates is a lot easier. A Doe is just as important to giant antlers

In fall of 1939 NY Allegeny county two giants were killed a 198 typ and 220s plus non typ I still think these hold as our record deer. Thats a long time ago, also shows genetics can be wiped out of any given area just cause one area has produced giants yrs ago ,disease,hunting pressure nd land loss can and will alter the final picture.

In 1950s i believe Illinois deer herd was near wiped out , Deer we brought in from Wis /Minn to restock .

01-Jul-15
"Illinois deer herd was near wiped out , Deer we brought in from Wis /Minn to restock"

Is there documentation on that somewhere?

Why I ask is I know in Ohio, the deer herd was thought to be exterminated by 1903 and non-existent until 1923 when limited stocking occurred, but read where only a couple dozen or so were brought in (can't remember) by either some hunt clubs and/or the division of wildlife, but was unable to find where these original restocked genetics came from... Anyhow, I don't believe today's Ohio genetics came from those few dozen deer, but more likely migrated in from neighboring states...

Ohio's first modern day deer-gun season opened in 1943 in only three counties where they killed 168 deer, and then didn't open statewide until 1956...

Ironically the Hole-in-the-Horn Buck was found dead along railroad tracks near Ravenna Ohio in 1940, three years before the first modern day deer season...

I know its list number 2 all time, but if ya ask me is more impressive than the WR nontypical Missouri Monarch. I've seen replicas side by side...

01-Jul-15

There have probably been 10 typical bucks grown on game farms that net over the typical world record. The record keeping organizations are going to have to address some situations like game farm deer being released or escaping. If they are killed outside of a game farm, there's no rules in place to my knowledge keeping them out of recognition. Rumors of several accepted Ohio record bucks float around already. One story is two Amish farmers that agreed to release a young buck and wait until he was mature to hunt him.

My friend's son in Alabama shot this game farm buck on a small property they had knocked on doors to hunt. It had escaped a local game farm over a year earlier over two miles away.....I believe he could enter the 170 class buck in the record book as the rules now stand, seeing it was fair chase at the time of kill. Someone at the game farm had left the gate open and one buck had escaped.......no one had seen him until the day he was killed by the youngster. This stuff may happen more and more with the proliferation of game farms.

01-Jul-15
Roughcountry sweet buck for the kid .

01-Jul-15

Here's a set of cut-off antlers I purchased through Ebay for 180.00 that I repaired, colored and attached to a full skull. They NET 201 typical with 30 and 31 inch main beams........I have no idea how big this deer eventually grew into.

When I say the record book will be diluted and muddied for multiple reasons relating to genetic altering, private sanctuaries, modern equipment etc.....it's mind boggling. I hope folks hunt for personal satisfaction and don't put too much stock in "chasing" the record books. The value of trophy antlers keeps pushing downward as they can be grown larger and larger as pedigrees are dialed in. In some skewed way, that may deter poaching. 180 inch gross whitetail bucks can now be grown at 1.5 years old consistently.....in the wild those same yearling bucks are fork-horns and basket racks.

01-Jul-15
ROUGHCOUNTRY - Don't get me started on the Amish...8^)

As far as I know Amish were not involved, but I know for a fact of 6 huge bucks escaping from a high fence operation near my hometown and were shot unfenced, because my buddy killed one... Guess a tree fell on the fence during a storm and they got out... My bud didn't know his came from the high fence operation and was bummed out when he found out... DOW got involved and turned into a fiasco...

BTW - Curious, why the plastic wrap around the skull, does it help keep in the peroxide?

01-Jul-15
I hope there is a new World Record someday. I hope it comes honestly to a deserving hunter, but if you say Kansas I doubt it will be that way with the amount of poaching that is going on. There was a super huge 6X6 taken here last year but again it was not done honestly and is still under investigation. Wish I knew more of it's current status.

01-Jul-15
Zbone, the cut off antlers were bleach white and my understanding is they cut them off as soon as velvet is shed when multiple bucks are in the same pen (keeps them from impaling each other)......The plastic wrap was to keep the skull from getting my oil and acrylic paints spilled on it during my painting process.

01-Jul-15
How do the Amish make it into so many fantastic stories?

01-Jul-15
Razorhead: The Johnny King buck was shot with a rifle (actually shot off an antler). Subsequently a point was ruled abnormal. I saw that point and it looks abnormal to me. David's question was about a bow killed world record.

ROUGHCOUNTRY: QDMA has been very active in exposing the dangers of genetic alteration in commercially raised whitetails. Go to their website if you want more info.

01-Jul-15
What about the Rampola buck?! LOL!!!! ;-)

01-Jul-15
My guess would be WI. but if it came from any of the Midwest states it wouldn't shock me. I think any of those states (WI, Iowa, Kansas, IL.)are all capable of turning out a WR.

01-Jul-15
Here's a different train of thought.

When I dream about elk or deer, I'm dreaming about mature, large racked animals, but I'm absolutely fine with the fact that the odds are infinitely small that I would have a shot at a world record.

It would be incredible to kill an animal like that, but what then? Even if you're inclined to not publicize it, word's going to spread. People would be crawling all over you and any area you hunt. Some of the magic of "What if?" would be lost for future hunts. You're not going to break your own record in later hunts.

Like I said, it's not a problem that I'm worrying about.

But you guys can have the world record and all of the attention that goes with it. I'll keep dreaming of a mentally challenged or suicidal number ten or twelve that wants to present me with the perfect shot.

02-Jul-15
Rough, that just shows how photos can fool you. I would have never guessed that buck would NET 201... looks to be too many deductions, cool set of antlers though.

Records are meant to be broken and with all the managing going on, it's bound to happen soon. I'm actually surprised that it hasn't happened yet. Like others said, I see it probably being a younger deer... I've seen too many old timers (5+) get trash or damaged pedicles... if they live that long.

Killing a record is not even on my radar and I definitely would not like the recognition.

02-Jul-15
orionsbrother........I agree with your thoughts and have heard that some people sour on hunting after shooting a really big animal becasue they are trying to "best it".......basically sucks the fun out of it for them as they are trying to win the lottery twice!

I shot my best deer last year, although not even close to a world record, and will try hard to shoot a nice one this year but in reality it will be hard to shoot a bigger deer as it would have to be a B&C caliber deer to best last years......not an easy task! Instead I will focus on enjoying the season and hope that I get a nice buck.....less pressure that way!

02-Jul-15
As to where it will come from.......could be anywhere, but clearly the odds are in areas with good food, cover/safety, and genetics......couple be any midwest state, canadian province, or even somones backyard in the suburbs.....just never know with a whitetail!

02-Jul-15
Yeah Charlie - There are a lot of "what if" bucks out there, like the Zaft and King bucks, and reason it makes these top typicals like Hansen's and Jordan's so unique and special to be so huge, clean, and symmetrical...

You guys bring up the future, technology, and genetic alterations. Surprised nobody brought up the black powder nontypical WR, Albia buck that was killed with a muzzleloader by a kid in early youth season after the adult relatives pattern this animal with 12 trailcams on exclusive hunting property... They knew where this animal was at 24 hours a day. This WR wasn't fairly hunted, it was executed and reason I have a problem with trailcams as cheating...

02-Jul-15
Orionsbrother.... You make a very good point. I hope I never kill a WR in Oklahoma. The attention brought to a hunting area would be tough to stomach. I hope it's on someone else's land in another state. :)

02-Jul-15
Razor: You are correct, my apologies. I have a serious archery bias problem but I'm working on it:)

02-Jul-15
I wonder if the issue of "high-fence escapees" will ultimately be akin to the baseball steroid issue. It becomes so common that there is really no good way to tell who is or has done them, so we will just let everyone into the hall of fame.

02-Jul-15
I think most "high fence escapes" end up just being normal sized big bucks in following years.....so much of their antler size is from food intake. Once in the wild, as assuming they aren't shot with a huge rack in the fall, they can't get the same amount of nutrition that they do in the pen....thus antler size goes down alot.

A guy on the QDMA forum shot a old buck with tags in both ears last year.....I guess there was a game farm that had some escapees a couple years prior. It was a nice buck, but he shot larger ones previoulsy that were free ranging deer......the lack of constant nutrition takes it toll on rack size for sure.

02-Jul-15

Herdbull's embedded Photo
The guy that bought the "King BucK" has been taking it around to the shows trying to drum up public support for re-ruling I guess. Here I am holding it and you can see the point in question on right side. Great looking deer and heavy mass either way. Mike

02-Jul-15

02-Jul-15
Cas i bet the buck u talk about was let loose on purpose due to its inferior antlers . Its not food but line breeding that produces 170 plus 1 1/2 year olds .

the albia buck a giant killed not far from my farm

02-Jul-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo
Cas i bet the buck u talk about was let loose on purpose due to its inferior antlers . Its not food but line breeding that produces 170 plus 1 1/2 year olds .

the albia buck a giant killed not far from my farm

02-Jul-15
Whitetail are so fascinating. I'm hunting a non-typical typical right now. By that I mean at 3 1/2 he was a basic 5x5 with 16 points. He usually carried forked G-3s. Now at 7 1/2 he has lost his forks and sticker tines and is a clean 5x5. Ha! Very heavy buck.

02-Jul-15
Surprised nobody mentions the fact that quite a few of the most accomplished WT hunters would never tell a soul if they killed a world record. I know a few low profile bowsiters who have killed a pile of giants and don't post or talk about it at all. I've got tremendous respect for these types. For all we know, the WR is hangin in some guy's house next to the next 2 biggest.

02-Jul-15
Being from the area, I know a few deer farmers, and agree with cityhunter, its much more about breeding and pedigrees than nutrition with these fenced deer....

As for truly a world record, I hope the fortunate hunter does share it with the world because in my view, it's not about the hunter, its about the tremendous animal that grew the bone... I could care less about who killed it, but would like to see it shared with the public... That's like the WR nontypical elk killed in UT a few years ago... I don't remember the wealthy hunter's name that bid and won the governor's tag and killed it, nor the outfitter's gang that tried to monitor 24x7, but I do remember the bull's name - "Spider"...8^)

Herdbull - Best of luck on your quest for the 5X5...

02-Jul-15
Zbone - That was an amazing bull! Only speaking for myself with my personal hypocrisies, I would not have felt right about that hunt.

I don't want to start turning this into another definition of DIY argument thread or attack anyone in any way. I'm just saying that level of help would diminish my satisfaction.

I wouldn't feel that the animal was "mine".

Yet working together with a good buddy or two on a hunt allows me to enjoy reliving both the hunt and the friendship while eating those elk with extreme satisfaction.

I recognize that those statements don't jibe well.

And I suspect that I'd feel a little disappointment if I found an old tag in the ear of a deer that I killed.

So, here's to hoping that one of you guys kills that world record somewhere other than where I hunt, that there are no tags in its ear, that the crazy attention is enjoyable for you and that jealous neighbors or nearby hunters don't resort to smearing your name.

02-Jul-15
It's ashame what people go through if they shoot a world class buck due to people trying to pass off behind-fence or poached kills as real.

My dad's neighbor shot a big buck in Ohio a few years ago (google Mark "buck" Owen) and he caught all kinds of hell for shooting it behind a fence. In reality, he just found a really good buck on a property he was able to get permission to hunt.....not really complicated, but man o'man did people "guarantee" it was a fenced deer.

I talked to him about it shortly after he shot it while looking it over in the driveway and you could tell he was a little upset at it all.....fortunately he knew what he was getting into! lol

03-Jul-15

03-Jul-15

03-Jul-15

03-Jul-15

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
This one came from Sedgwick County KS and was never entered in the record books. I personally know the guy that got it. I never could figure out if it was legit or he fabricated it. He never would let me take it off the wall in his dining room to look at it closely. When Outdoor Life ran the article online, he never let them see it in person or let anybody x-ray it.

03-Jul-15
I personally do not think there has to be a perfect atmosphere for a world record to survive. Having lived in Kansas my entire life, I have seen several bucks and know of several others that would score 200" or more and were never killed. These bucks roamed large expanses of land that was very open and heavily hunted.

03-Jul-15
Maybe a better question is, will a buck that scores better than current world records be killed legally?

Kansas has two poached bucks that probably would have eclipsed our best ever Boone and Crockett typicals.

Man, Thorton. Must be a great area. In several decades of hunting, and being paid to be outdoors, I've only seen one buck in Kansas I thought might even net 190 typical or better, and that was in the 1980s.

I've gone several years without seeing one I was sure would net Boone and Crockett typical or non-typical.

03-Jul-15
I think it could potentially happen in many of the areas previously mentioned but the odds are against it due to hunting pressure. Most states have implemented liberal seasons, more seasons etc. add that to the increase in hunters and the rapid rate of increased efficiency of weapons and the deer are under an aweful lot of pressure. Speaking of accomplished deer hunters who do not make themselves known, I know of a guy who has made the infamous "900 inch club" and who has done it all on his own with his recurve in a state that would surprise you. Very modest guy who is very good at what he does.

03-Jul-15
Alberta, Saskatchewan, or Manitoba....

I live near the border and get to talk to a lot of Canadian hunters. When it comes to big whitey's, let me tell you, it's a whole other world up there.

03-Jul-15
I say Oklahoma, Indiana or Nebraska, but Kentucky may be a sleeper as well. I hunted a lease in Indiana a few years back and as often happens the shooting light in the woods faded and I walked out and of course there was good light in a huge filed. I saw a buck at about 150 yards that I believe was close to 200"s as a typical. Out of the 6 guys in the lease one other hunter saw him and that was the only sightings ever. Shawn

04-Jul-15
Im going with a state that is hardly mentioned, Maine. It has such huge tracts of thick land that their are bucks never seen by hunters. They have a 200" typical on record that looks almost like the Hanson buck and its not registered along with the top 10 typicals in North America. Not to mention there buck weight record is 355 lbs dressed.

04-Jul-15
Any urban zone in the Midwest.

04-Jul-15
some smoke some funny stuff

05-Jul-15
"Kansas has two poached bucks that probably would have eclipsed our best ever Boone and Crockett typicals."

If that is the case, somebody would actually own them legal likely whomever confiscated them or currently possesses them, like maybe the fish and game department or some jurisdiction, then entered as a pickup...

I know a big Ohio nontypical killed back in the 70s was like number 4 or 5 B&C once upon a time, and was later confiscated after the guy was convicted of killing it illegally and is still listed in B&C with owners being the division of wildlife....

I think #1 B&C Missouri Monarch is owned and listed by their fish and game department too...

05-Jul-15
From the B&C website: " WORLD'S RECORDS NON-TYPICAL WHITETAIL DEER SCORE: 333 7/8 LOCATION: St. Louis County, MO HUNTER: Picked Up OWNER: MO Dept. of Cons. DATE: 1981 "

05-Jul-15
Hey Jon, I'm in the "900 inch Club". It just took 8 deer to get me there:). Seriously, what is that with 3 or 4 deer?

05-Jul-15
What's the big deal, Z?

Wildlife and Parks has them both, and they will not list them as the state record because they were taken illegally.

One is listed in Boone and Crockett, the other isn't.

Boone and Crockett has listed two poached bucks as the biggest in Kansas, but I'm sticking with the state to decide the state record.

05-Jul-15
writer - Your original statement suggests they would surpass the world record, that's the big deal...

If you're talking state records, no biggie...

I'd like to see one that tops 213-5/8" typical, as said I don't care how it died or who killed it, would just like to see the animal that grew the bone and believe it should be recognized...

05-Jul-15
I say Kentucky or iowa for typical. I've seen some giant typicals on hoof in both states I'd love to know what they scored. I've seen a couple that people killed in Kentucky that were 190+" clean 6x6s that were never entered.

Kentucky or Ohio for nontypical.

05-Jul-15

JW's embedded Photo
JW's embedded Photo
A friend found these sheds here in Ohio. With an estimated 17" spread, he was right at tthe 203" mark. Any midwestern state has the capability to produce a world record, the hard part is them avoiding the hunting pressure, cars, predators, etc. I really see habitat loss and increasing bowhunting pressure in most states making the typical record a very tall order to beat.

05-Jul-15
"Kansas has two poached bucks that probably would have eclipsed OUR best ever Boone and Crockett typicals."

Being a Kansan.... :-)

There's also a 207 net typical mule deer that would beat the existing record by about 20 inches in the mid-80, when it was shot. (Still 5" above current gun and bow records.)

The guy Cabela's credits with having killed the buck didn't have a permit that year, or the one before or after. Wide-spread rumor that year of a huge buck poached in the same county attributed to the record.

But it's only rumor, no proof, no foul.

05-Jul-15
My friends dad shot a 196 typical a few years ago. It looked like a young deer. Not a very big body....looked 3 1/2 to me. So a year or two he might have been somewhere close. But who really knows. 5 minutes from downtown of a good size city. Scored on garage floor, but its 196 or very close. I think that happens quite a bit. Not everybody is interested in all the fuss. An acquaintance shot a 240 something NT this year. I talked to him a couple days later and he said he was sick of the b.s. already. So there might be one out there and nobody is saying anything.

I also think most guys who see a 200" deer didn't really see a 200" deer. There just aren't that many of them. 180 looks enormous on the hoof...for that matter 160 looks enormous on the hoof. Especially if you are watching them run away.

The guys who commented about too much junk on older deer are right. I agree with R. Hale as well. The pressure is too hard on them. I Dont know anybody who is letting a booner go by. Even if its young. And who can blame them?

That said, I've seen some very big bucks over the years once or twice and then never again. They just seem to disappear. I'm almost certain I would've heard about it if they got shot. Makes it nice to dream about what's out there. :)

07-Jul-15
I know of a 200 inch set of clean 5 x 5 sheds picked up in NJ this year if they grow 10% and don't pick up any NT points....and it gets killed....that will shock the world.

08-Jul-15
200" NET, without guessimating a spread?

08-Jul-15
18" spread Z...and thats conservative.

08-Jul-15
Saskatchewan in Rob Nyes area.

08-Jul-15
Gee TSI I would have guessed you would say New Brunswick. Oh wait a minute you did say that but edited that out and changed your post. Hahaha too funny!

09-Jul-15
Grossing higher???... That's the whole point of the Hanson Buck and the typical world record, FEW deductions on a monstrous rack....

That's what makes him exceptional and unique, the best of all time...

Gross is for nontypicals...

09-Jul-15
Hopefully from under my stand in whatever state or province I'm hunting. :}

More probable;

The "Midwest Zone" of, Illinois, Western Ky, Missouri, Iowa, (northern section) Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Picking one state is tough however my guess is

#1 Iowa

#1 A Missouri

#1 Sleeper, Western Ky.

09-Jul-15
"I know of a 200 inch set of clean 5 x 5 sheds picked up in NJ this year if they grow 10% and don't pick up any NT points....and it gets killed....that will shock the world."

Shug, I'm guessing you hit your head ;-) There are no big bucks in NJ, maybe a few in the last 50 years but nothing recent. I mean, unless I see them in some kind of book, I will not believe there are anyway.

I would say the next Archery typical record has a good chance of coming from the Bow-only counties in W.Va., southern Ohio (wasn't there trail cam pics of some walking WR last year?) or maybe Kentucky. But some place like North Dakota could surprise, they put out some monsters. A mild winter and good spring and summer weather for growing could do it there.

09-Jul-15
Seems to me that the days of monster bucks, when there was a real chance of the standing records being surpassed, have come and gone. You just don't hear of as many monster bucks being taken these days. I suppose sooner or later a real freak will come along and break the record but it will be later rather than sooner. As to where, anywhere in the Midwest with good genetics, plenty of nutritious food, and age. Other possibility would be north Canada, either Saskatchewan or Alberta.

• Sitka Gear