Topgun 30-06 04-Jul-15
Charlie Rehor 05-Jul-15
78cj5 06-Jul-15
onXmaps 07-Jul-15
Turk 07-Jul-15
onXmaps 08-Jul-15
thomas 08-Jul-15
03-Jul-15
I am trying to figure out what GPS to go with for my first elk hunt this fall in Montana. I have decided to go with the Garmin Oregon 600 but can't figure out if I should spend the extra money on the "t" model. I plan on using OnX maps with it but didn't know 100k maps would be useful in any other applications. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

03-Jul-15
I have never had garmin maps. The onx works just fine.

03-Jul-15
If you go without the topo and want 650 camera model for the price of most 600 I have a new one on the classifieds for sale

03-Jul-15
I have the Oregon 600. My choice was to save the money to buy chips. They are great, I see no real use for the 100k maps. I always carry paper maps anyway.

03-Jul-15
What chips does everyone use? I noticed with the OnX there is a regional 3 state map without landowner names and a single state map with landowner names for the same price. Anyone have any input on this? I plan on hunting mostly public but could see where having the names could come in to play.

03-Jul-15
if you hunt who you'd better go larger scale with land ownership - no fences, no signs, and they feast on trespassers. other areas- it comes down to your need for detailed contour info. 100kmaps have a lot of info holes. you decide whether the $100/state price is worth it. good usgs maps are just as accurate and a lot cheaper if you know where you are hunting.

03-Jul-15
I have the state onx maps for WY and CO- I never have to worry about where I am at public vs private. Plus i can mark everything I want. Bring it home and put it on my lap top or scout from home and enter the way points for the places I want to check out when I get out there.

04-Jul-15
Bou?

You still haven't sold that gps?

=D

04-Jul-15
I used the Wyo OnXmaps last year and it worked incredible.

04-Jul-15
Sorry jst I don't want to steal your thread but I think the question I have is relevant to this thread. To Dave and any others who have downloaded the free maps is there a secret to viewing them on Garmin gps. I downloaded a free AK map from GPS file depot. It says on basecamp that the map is installed and we have enabled it on our 650 unit but can not bring up to view. What am I missing. Garmin support will not help because it we did not purchase one of there maps.

Mike

04-Jul-15
Are the onXmaps the same as hunting gps maps .com? I've had really good luck with those in WY in the past

04-Jul-15
Are the onXmaps the same as hunting gps maps .com? I've had really good luck with those in WY in the past

Yep, same maps. They just changed the company name, but kept the website addy intact.

05-Jul-15
The confidence I have with the OnXmap Chip is reassuring when roaming. I'll get to some neat places with confidence. I used $100 dollars of Cabelas points and bought the Colorado State Chip! C

06-Jul-15
I have the Garmin Rhino and I bought Topo 2008. I hunt forest so private is not a problem and I love the fact I can load any of the lower 48 states into my Rhino for where I am hunting. I also load waypoints from the computer into the Rhino and from the Rhino into the computer.

I always have backups so I don't lose any information. I like it and it works for me.

07-Jul-15
I would suggest not spending the extra money on the "t" models. As said before that will get you a 1:100K topo map. Our chips give you a 1:24K topo map which gives you better detail. These numbers are a ratio so 1:100k represents 1 unit on the map is 100,000 units on the ground. This can be an inch, foot, or whatever. The 1:24K represents 1 unit on the map is 24,000 units on the ground.

1:100K will be about 100 foot contour intervals where the 1:24K will be 40 foot contour intervals. Most USGS maps (standart 7.5 minute quads) will be the 1:24K.

Our chips are $99.99 and you will have free updates until the end of the year, after that the updates are $30 for another year. Please feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

Happy hunting!!!

07-Jul-15
onXmaps

PM Sent

08-Jul-15
Sent you one back Turk!

08-Jul-15
I agree. I have hunting GPS maps and I have the regional map. Which I've used in CO and NM. And Ill use it this yr in AZ. one chip-4 states. I see no reason to buy the state version just to know the name of the landowner? I would have to have bought 3 chips if I went that route. It really works incredible and I knew more about the area we were hunting with trails,water,rds,etc than a local friend I hunted with in CO that had hunted the area previously, simply due to the chip having very good detail.

• Sitka Gear