Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
mattfish7 03-Jul-15
jims 04-Jul-15
orionsbrother 04-Jul-15
Skullwerx 04-Jul-15
huntingbob 05-Jul-15
03-Jul-15
Ok here's the question, has any of you guys had a problem with pain on top of your foot, like 3/4 of the way up? Does anyone know of a insert for the top of the foot to protect this area? Did a 9 mile hike in my old well worn boots, pain in top on foot, I did tighten them pretty tight to help keep my foot seated,the following weekend I did another hike in my new Solomon Boots, same problem, even worse, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Mattfish7

04-Jul-15
The only time I've had problems with the top of my foot is if the tongue isn't sitting right or there is something similar to cheatgrass seed lodged on the tongue. You could always buy a pair of socks similar to Thorlos that have padding on the top of the sock. If it's a small area you may also be able to cut a small piece of moleskin and place it in the spot? You may also try not tightening your boot laces so tight? Obviously some boots have more padding in the tongue so you may want to buy a padded tongue in your next boots?

04-Jul-15
I had a buddy who sold boots for a living. He told me that the bulk of foot pain, blisters etc. stems from people lacing the "foot" portion of the boot too tight. He told me that a boot should be a little looser in the foot, tightened at the "ankle cleat" and higher.

You might've tightened the top of the "foot" too much. Maybe try the lacing as my buddy used to recommend.

But this is second hand info. I'm a guy who wears boots, not a boot guy. My boot guy passed away.

04-Jul-15
The only time I've had that is when I've cinched up the laces to tight.

05-Jul-15
Lace them loose and tighten them when your feet slip. I have so many boot problems I always tinker around with them. However I will say the Kennetreks are a boot I have never fit my foot unless the were wet after crossing a river. Asolo are my new ones and they are good and lightweight and I still add high volume socks and lace them tight. Good insoles do matter!

• Sitka Gear