bulldancer 04-Jul-15
Wayne Helmick 04-Jul-15
TD 04-Jul-15
Wayne Helmick 04-Jul-15
Tonybear61 04-Jul-15
Medicare Bhtr 04-Jul-15
12yards 06-Jul-15
03-Jul-15
I was a fingers shooter up until about 15 minutes ago and have a archery elk hunt Sept 15th in the Gila. I will be going to the archery shop Monday to shoot new bows and accessories. I was thinking of a new Hoyt. What would be your ideal setup including site, release, rest, and arrows? I have a 31" draw and have never shot release, if this makes any difference. Feel free to add anything I left out.

Thanks, Bulldancer

03-Jul-15
Bull Your draw will end up being shorter Hoyt Is a good Bow Just Let the Pro Set Up your Bow.

03-Jul-15
Hoyt Carbon Spyder ZT Turbo, Spot Hogg Hogg It wrapped, QAD HDX, 8" B Stinger, Carter Like Mike release, and Easton FMJ's tipped with 125 gr vented VPA's loaded into a Tight Spot Quiver.....some day dreams may come true! Ha!

Going to a release you may end up an inch shorter on draw length, especially when using a D loop.

03-Jul-15
Switching to release will be a change but, you will adapt fast and notice a big difference. Scoot makes a great release but now I shoot the Truefire hardcore. I have a 30.5" draw and ended up going with the Hoyt Matrix. Smooth bow but pricey.

A lot of what you are asking is personal preference. Make sure the bow feels good in yer hand, then have fun!

03-Jul-15
A lot of good information, but personal preferences make all the difference in the world and you have to be happy with YOUR set up. Find a bow that is comfortable for you to shoot, and do as Bigdan said.

03-Jul-15
site ?

03-Jul-15
BigdanX3

try a few, pick one and let the shop set it up, shoot a few before you leave, bring up any problems (like instant robinhoods)and practice a bunch between now and sept15th

hopefully you've got a good shop!

good luck

03-Jul-15
Instant robinhoods ? Now that's a problem I could learn to love !

03-Jul-15
I shot fingers 20+years before I switched to a release... You'll love it and your accuracy will improve.

03-Jul-15
I switched to Hoyt this year as well. They have a good bow as well as other companies. I am very impressed with the Nitrum series. Like Bigdan said your draw will be shorter with a release and a D Loop. When I shot fingers I was a 31" draw, with a release I am 30". I do like a tad longer D Loop as well.

03-Jul-15
" If you were me ?"

We talking your credit card as well??? That opens up all kinds of options..... =D

Yeah, what they said. A good shop should set you up, help dial it in, and be there for any questions or problems that may come up.

Be stackin' arrows in no time, have a great season!

03-Jul-15
Bad time to be completely changing the way u shoot, imo, when i switched to a release it took awhile and a couple of blowed shots before it was good. But every ones different.

03-Jul-15
Why change from what you were doing?

03-Jul-15
I shot fingers from the summer of 1983 until early 2010.

Why the change?

My wife took up archery and Robin Hooded three arrows in the span of a few months. I had Robin Hooded zero in the preceding 27 years.

I shoot much better with a release.

Good luck.

04-Jul-15
I agree with birdman, I switched from fingers to release and it took awhile to get used to it. I would make the switch after the elk hunt. He may catch on quick but if he doesnt hes in trouble. I even developed target panic soon after the switch.

04-Jul-15
Thank you for all of your replies. Everybody had a lot of great advice and I will be spending my weekend researching.

As for the why...I have shot fingers since 1980 and I currently shoot a Hoyt Protec 4000. Unfortunately, I busted my SpiGua arrow rest and called the only person I trust with my bow, Bob Fromme. Bob said there would be no easy fix. Combine this with the fact I will have to replace my Black Hawk Vapor arrows (that are no longer made) and there is a 600 mile round trip from where I live.

I have never been that great of a shot, but have killed my share of bulls. I have an 80-yard range set up at my house and can commit to practicing everyday. And as my buddy says, "Call them in to the top pin and get it done." :)

I will update after the shop visit next week.

04-Jul-15
What happened "15 minutes ago"? I was expecting that to be followed up by some accident description or something. Seems a little late in the game to do a drastic change.

04-Jul-15
I shot fingers up until 2006 or so. Arthritis etc. I went to release, d-loop and changed my rest.

It was a change. Certainly not "drastic". A week or two and it becomes second nature. He has months.

Main thing you have to figure out is a way to make sure you don't accidentally bump the trigger.... all gravy from there.

04-Jul-15
You are correct TD. I guess it really isn't drastic but the way he said it seemed like there was some compelling reason for the switch. Just wondering why. I think the biggest challenge he'll have is making sure he has his release with him when he needs it. Bulldancer, once you get all dialed in and are satisfied with your setup take a few shots with fingers if you can just to see where it hits. Just in case you lose or forget your release and you are 3 miles from camp.

04-Jul-15
Practice a lot with the release, they are not foolproof. You can develop target panic as mentioned above. I have had my nose smashed in several times since I started using them 20 years ago. Scott makes a good release. Buy two because you may forget it at home or it can break, foul, get sand, dirt or snow in it(any mechanical device can do that while hunting).

As an alternative maybe try the simple hook, leather tab releases that have been around for may years...

04-Jul-15
If Bob is your trusted archery tech the 600 mile trip will be worth it!

06-Jul-15
A Nitrum 34 or Carbon Spyder 34 would be an awesome setup for you.

• Sitka Gear