Thunderflight 27-Jul-15
Kevin Dill 28-Jul-15
md5252 28-Jul-15
Fuzzy 28-Jul-15
razorhead 28-Jul-15
r-man 28-Jul-15
deerman406 28-Jul-15
07-Jul-15
because of a recent injury, going to a let off compound, with a release, bought a Hoyt Carbon spyder at 34 inches........

how many have gone to the compound, recently,,,, love the beauty of the stick, but the rehab is so long,,,,,,,

anyone said, that the compound is easy, is an idiot, I mean if you want to be truly good at it.....

07-Jul-15
I had to do the same thing. Its only fair to shot better for the critter ?

07-Jul-15
razor,

I am not sure if you have ever shot compound before but if not I would seek out a good coach in your area to get you started. Proper DL, form and release activation are essential to good shooting. Learning correctly is worth the minimal cost over trying to correct a bad habit.

07-Jul-15
You will find you can shoot the wheeled bow about 1/10th of the time to sTay proficient so I'd keep that in mind.

I'd also note, avoid using fingers on a compound. It just isn't worth the hassle trying to find a decent rest.

Good luck, nothings changed for me, close shots, dead animals, and pot shots at the local 3d shoots.

07-Jul-15
Bowfreak+1

Learn to shoot correctly from the get-go and save yourself a ton of potential misery.

07-Jul-15
I did the opposite, went back to recurve because it doesn't have a hump at the back of the draw cycle . and never went back to wheels yet. nice to be able to draw only as much as I can when needed.

08-Jul-15
A compound is much easier, and I'm no idiot. You would be an idiot to believe it isn't. I can pick up a compound , and in a few shots shoot better than I ever could with a recurve.

08-Jul-15
Killing animals with a traditional bow or compound requires a different technique. Compound hunting is a series of operational checks then release while a trad bow is more natural to the way your mind thinks. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

I am shooting both. Recurve at 48 pounds and compound at 61! Have fun with what ever you feel good about! C

08-Jul-15
stagetek, razorhead claimed "anyone said, that the compound is easy, is an idiot, I mean if you want to be truly good at it..... " - notice the last words, "be truly good at it". It does not make sense to compare sighted compounds with traditional bows in terms of spot-shooting accuracy. With a compound you need to set your arrow grouping goal slightly more tight. And then a compound can become "indefinitely" difficult to master :-).

08-Jul-15
I guess I'm an idiot then because I think they're easy to shoot well with very little practice.

I went from the compound to longbows about 20 years ago... didnt touch a compound for 2 full years, grabbed it one day, made up 4 arrows because I only had 2 good ones, and stepped out back. I couldn't remember how the sight pins were set for yardage, but after a couple shots, I figured it out. My first group of arrows was shot at 40 yards and all were in the lungs tight enough I could wrap my hands around them. My second group was at 50 yards, and while most were in the lungs almost as nicely as the 40 yard group, I had a 'flyer' that was out near the edge of the vitals, but still in there. Easy. TOO easy. A lot like shooting a flintlock. Hold, squeeeeeze, follow through... it's in there. That's why I sold it and started making longbows. But hey, who knows, maybe compounds got more difficult to use in the last 20 years :^)

I doubt it though. I was talking to a guy I know yesterday, certainly not what I'd call a dedicated bowhunter by any stretch, who is going out west this year and has been shooting 80 yards in preparation. Hmmph.

08-Jul-15
thanks for the advice, sorry if I upset the trad police on the site.......

several weeks ago, I had an accident, and live in a remote section of the UP, so, there is no 911 call, unless you want to bleed out...........

my own knowledge and accessible emt tools, shut off the bleeding, and got myself into a hospital, a long drive

the recovery means, a long time to get back to a recurve, an want to hunt.......

I found the compound, a new discipline, with the peep and site and release etc....... I want to master it, like I mastered my recurve.

anyone can it a pie plate with a recurve at 20yards, but that does not mean you have mastered it, I mean be a really good shot......

the same is true I find with the compound, and as suggested from the above post, I am now working with a really good serious 3d shooter, and reading everything I can from Randy Ulmer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

thanks to all for the advice, and be careful in life, and be prepared.

08-Jul-15
Well said razorhead! As I posted above both methods are different and take practice to become proficient. Killing animals is why I shoot bows and shooting targets does nothing but confirm your needed steps to be a good shot. Actual hunting skills are what matter and fortunately I'm better at that than shooting so I get lots of chances:)

Good luck on your recovery! C

08-Jul-15
Razorhead, I did the same thing. A rollerblading injury, and broken shoulder, would cause my bow arm to unexpectedly collapse with the longbow. So, I went back to the compound. The animals deserve better than me shooting them in the belly when my bow arm collapses.

You'll be fine. Your willingness to work to be proficient tells me that. Good luck.

08-Jul-15
Torn tendon in my elbow....I will have to shoot my compound now for awhile...but its like riding a bike.

08-Jul-15
Mike, as someone who has been through similar rehab I'll be thinking of you this season and hope you have a speedy recovery! I'm sure of one thing and it is that the rehabilitation process is having an impact on your shooting ability with the compound and will surely improve.

Wishing you happy hunting! I hope you are able to fully recover and shoot what you like.

08-Jul-15
Please keep this in mind, if you're shooting deer sized animals (UP) you can drop way down on the draw weight.

I know a guy that had some shoulder issues (I believe from collegiate wrestling) that really caught up with him (still very young) and he was forced to shoot a compound or quit. His whole family shoots recurves etc and actually own one of the best tradional shops in the Mountain West. He shoots very low weight compounds and has killed some giants, and I mean giant bulls.

Good luck and once that shoulder feels better, or betterish, and you have that new bow set, I'd really focus on one and two shot days so you can recover.

08-Jul-15
Any legal weight selfbow will kill deer dead, and may be easier on the shoulder than rolling over a compound. I know a guy that did it with a 25 lb bow when we were kids. Shoot whatcha want. But it is what it is.

Trad police? Nah. Truth. Objectivity.

All the best in your pursuit.

08-Jul-15
Razor...trad police, no. I shoot both, and there has never been a time I've shot a recurve better than a compound (sad to say). Best to you on your recovery.

11-Jul-15
the 1 thing I can mention that hasn't been mentioned already is this based on my experience which may not be the same in other parts of the country ,,,,, if your totally new only buy a compound that whatever proshop is local to you actually sells and services,, I had a bowtech in Mathews country and nobody would help me or even change a string (Reedys Mass) , they where rude and right to my face would tell me they didn't even want them in their store, a month later a bought a new ross because they carried them then a month after that they dropped them and again I was unwelcome in the store with that Ross even though I bought it there..

the wheel shooters are very bias with their brands big time like ford vs Chevy or American made jap cars vs Mexican made American cars man I couldn't believe it! I gave away the bowtech because mailing it out to get a new string was pointless. I didn't have a bow press and that killed me when I got into compounds.

where you mentioned injury I broke my elbow in April and once I got out of therapy I just dropped 20lbs and shoot a 44# recurve....... I say this as a lifelong stickbow shooter that going to compound is they are super effective once they are sighted in and tuned but for a true stickbow shooter the first season hunting with a compound is they are very cumbersome almost to the point of being a real PIA, they are too heavy, they turn into an ice cube in cold weather which I just covered the whole thing in padded tape for hunting in cold, and when you change a string or cable now your back re-sighting it all back in, in the woods anything even touches the bow it makes that metallic cling sound, always needed a bow hook to hang it where a stickbow you just use a branch snipped back..

I got sick of lugging mine around and went back to sticks for 90% of my hunting but honestly it was because stickbows is all I ever really known and hunting wise I like to be very close to animals when I shoot them I like to be able to hear them sniffing or breathing before I shoot,, the compound my longest kill was 38yds so 25 to even 35yds was the norm but stickbow hunters need to think carefully about stand placement for a close as possible shot but with my compound just like gun hunting I just found a tree in the general area because I knew my compound was effective out to 35yds so for me the compound took that part of the hunt away out from me.

another way to look at it is with a stickbow you have to handle that buck fever a lot longer until the animal gets closer to your comfort zone for a shot so the heart pumping is much much more intense,, with the compound I noticed I got way over confident because of the sights and would take long 30 yd shots that I never would think of with a stickbow,,,and these deer to me where far enough away I wasn't all pumped up and excited yet,,, I could of waited that's my fault but when I had a compound my comfort zone with that is further away.

finally don't worry about picking a spot just put the pin there and don't move that pin until the arrow is long gone, stickbow you needed to focus hard or it wouldn't work.

compounds are great bows I think they are getting way too expensive now but the used there are killer deals,, I have selfbows to compounds I use them all the compound mostly for late season in spots the gun hunters stomped all over and have many good friends on both sides of that fence,, I have what I think is the best compound bow ever made a Mathews rival pro, 1 fixed pin that's set to 25yds, perfectly bare shaft tuned to 20yds, ACC's with 4" left wing helical fletch and thunderheads, me personally I really couldn't shoot any better with a 1700.00 compound and 300.00 arrows,,, same as a 2000.00 shafer vs a 200.00 1953 bear K14 I'll look good but still shoot the same.

11-Jul-15
with time to kill before leaving for work I wrote a lot up there but after re-reading everything again I want everyone to know I'm not dissing wheels I have a compound bow I will shoot till I die,, above is only my experience after shooting sticks my whole life then my first year with wheels.

I think I worded some things wrong,,, the intensity, and buck fever feelings is how I personally felt them only I don't want it to sound like other people don't or won't get equal satisfaction its all about the hunt using a 30-06 @ 300yds or a stickbow at 10 its a personal thing and why we do this, AND why we each choose to use whatever we enjoy.

11-Jul-15
Tajue, Im from western MA and never had a problem bringing bows into a shop that carries other brands. I had a shop owner joke and say your problem is that you dont shoot this bow but it was all in humor. I cant believe they would treat someone like that. I would take my business elsewhere. I guess they forget that we also buy arrows, heads, gear, etc and not just a bow.

11-Jul-15
I spent a couple years enjoying (I believed) my state-of-the-art round-wheel compound a long time ago. I quickly noticed my boredom and dissatisfaction levels rising the more I shot and hunted with it, so I made an easy decision to change back to a recurve. I've hunted with recurve or longbow ever since. Like Jeff, I picked up a compound (newer model) one time to see what it was like. It was heavy. The draw sequence felt awkward with the huge roll-over and letoff. The finger pinch was terrible. I had to focus on the sight pin instead of studying the target exclusively. Was the bow perfectly vertical? Was my bow hand relaxed...or gripping? I played with it for a couple hours and couldn't shoot it for a fiddler's damn. At the release (fingers) it felt like twenty things had to happen just right. I understood I wasn't missing anything by hunting with a stickbow. It was probably the least natural and most awkward thing I've tried to do in archery the past 30 years.

I look at a recurve or longbow as simply a tool to hurl an arrow at an animal...nothing more. Accuracy isn't in the bow...it's in the shooter. I am most comfortable when my bow is less of a device to manage/operate and more of a simple arrow-flinger...bad as that might sound. It no doubt helps that I wouldn't even remotely consider a 40 yard bow shot at a game animal, and the entire focus of my hunting is to get within 20 yards or less of every animal I shoot.

11-Jul-15
Learn the "RIGHT WAY" right now. Get someone that has the knowledge to set you straight, or you will end up trying to fix bad habits down the line. Much, much harder...

11-Jul-15
Kevin, well said and I agree about the shot sequence.... I much prefer the feel of a more 'natural flow', as effortless and subconsciously done as pointing a finger. It helps in that regard that I try to keep my bows as light as possible and precisely balanced to carry and draw. Most physically weigh no more than a pound but draw in excess of 60#. There have been times I forgot I was carrying them. Perfect :^) I've never had that feeling while carrying one of my compounds.

11-Jul-15
Razorhead, as others have mentioned it's more of a checklist with a compound. Yardage estimation plays a huge role, I can remember in pre-season preparation I would pace off yardage from my stand locations when I shot a compound. I shot a compound one time last year while at a 3-D shoot and haven't shot one other than that in 10 years but have been shopping for my girlfriend.

She is going to be a left-handed shooter so I wanted to try the equipment she was using in order to be a better teacher. I grabbed a BowTech with pink camo had them set it up for me at 45 pounds and proceeded to put five shots in a 4 inch ring at 30 yards. Albeit slightly to the right and low because it wasn't sighted in but still, that's consistency that even the finest traditional shooter would do well to match. I'm not saying that's a bad thing and I look forward to hunting with the love of my life this year but it's just not the same as hunting with traditional equipment.

11-Jul-15
I have hunted with a recurve or longbow for the past 15 years. I recently switched back to using a compound for reasons other than injury. I started hunting out west and I was presented with shots that were 35 to 50 yards. I can and have killed deer out to 50 yards with my stick bows but I like to keep my shots 30 yards and under. Ideally 20 yards and in. I was tired of having to pass some good bucks at 35 and 40 yards just because the shot did not feel right. I know for a fact a compound is much easier to shoot than a stick bow. Within 20 minutes of getting my compound set-up I was shooting 4-5" groups at 40 yards. I shot a compound before I started with stick bows and todays compounds are much easier to master than a recurve. I still hunt with my sticks pretty much half the time but there is no doubt beyond 25 yards most folks(90%) will shoot the compound better. Inside of that I can shoot almost as well with my stickbows as the average guy can with their compound as far as making killing shots on critters that is. Shawn

11-Jul-15
If compound guys can't acknowledge the difficulty of traditional bow hunting and trad guys don't acknowledge the difficulty of compound hunting it is usually because they haven't done both extensively!

My way or the highway is a turn off to the young guys. Many never try traditional bows because of that reality! Such a shame!

11-Jul-15
Once you get used to the let off the only thing difficult about them is carrying them.

Like Durnell, I can pick one up once every 2 years and put one in the vitals at 60 yards. Now if I want to Robin Hood then I need to work harder on it but I think we're talking hunting here. The amount of animals I am 50-70 yards from is astounding and with a weeks worth of diligent practice with a modern compound 50 yards is a chip shot.

I dont know what injury makes shooting a compound more comfortable than a moderate weight trad bow, I have heard people say this before but I dont find them easier to draw and the transition into the let off is generally pretty harsh on muscles and joints, not to mention holding one up with an out stretched arm after hanging a sight, rest, stabilizer, quiver full of arrows, peep sight, limbsavers, wrist sling, and such to an already 3.5 plus pound bow.

I have a couple of good bowhunting friends, compounds, one of them has been playing around with recurves for a few years but hunts with the compound so he can shoot further. The other just stays with compounds exclusively because he wants to shoot further and he doesnt have any interest in practicing. To each their own.

No I'm not trad police, just question the whats and why fors. Carry on with whatever floats your boat.

11-Jul-15
Such a shame Charlie. Yep.

12-Jul-15
Where's the 'my way or the highway' mentality? I must have missed it. I don't see anyone here trying to tell others what they have to use.

The level of difficulty realized while hunting with whatEVER weapon is relative to our abilities and experiences, and subjective. What is, or seems, easy for you might be very challenging for me, and so on for the next guy. That said, for many, challenge doesn't much concern them. For instance, many want to kill a big buck or bull and when any semblence of an opportunity presents itself, they want the 'best' legal weapon in their hand to facilitate it. Not a problem. None of my business... though I've had others offer such info unsolicited when they saw what I was carrying. Like the mere presence of a simple wooden bow caused them introspection, and then to justify themselves. Weird.

Personally, as things have gotten easier for me and personal rewards began to lose their luster, I've sought ways to heighten the challenges and rewards... still do. But my needs, values, priorities, and goals are my own and I expect them of nobody else. Shoot whatcha brung.

12-Jul-15
Several folks mentioned the increased distance with which they're effective with compounds and the additional opportunities it creates. Here is an interesting fact. Any difference in effective yardage while switching weapons is exponential because while we see it as linear, the distance that is our effective range is actually the radius of a circle... and that circle has area. Twice the distance (radius) mean 4 times the area... and 4 times the area means 4 times the potential shot opportunities. That's a big consideration, either way.

12-Jul-15
I'm a compound guy and always have been. With that being said I have shot a handful of longbows and recurves while at the range and have done fairly well with them out to 20 yrds. I actually had one guy who didn't believe me about two weeks ago when I told him that was the first time I'd shot a longbow in about 5 years. I still have never owned one but am considering the investment as it was quite fun and very natural feeling. My wife will be thrilled if I pick up a whole new archery hobby :)

I think some things just come natural to certain people and others... not so much. I certainly didn't expect to do as well as I did with the longbow. No clue how you'd get a quiver on that thing. It's like a toothpick ;)

12-Jul-15
Yeah, longbows are kind of petite. They do make bow quivers for them though.

27-Jul-15
I have bowhunted seriously since 1981. Most of my hunting for many years was with a compound. although I did shoot and hunt some with recurves off and on. I went to a recurve 7 years ago and have shot and hunted with it exclusively. I think sometimes about going back to a compound but I like the siplisity of the recurve. Most all of my kill shots were at less then 30 yards and most under 20 with a compound. So I didn't have to change my hunting style much when I started with the recurve. To me, bow hunting is about how close I can get to an animal. Not how far I can shoot one. I still have a lot to learn about hunting with trad equipment. But so far it has been an adventure. Shoot what you like and enjoy the hunt.

27-Jul-15
I see advantages and disadvantages to both compounds and recurves/longbows. And I believe it has to do with your preference in shooting style. Instinctive or sights, if your hunting opportunities are close range and quick in thick cover, or shooting anything flying or running or bowfishing your probably better off with instinctive shooting and a recurve/longbow. If your watching a waterhole or sitting in a tree or blind, shooting at animals that are standing still, or walking and you have to make longer shots over (30 yds)your probably better off with a compound.Compounds require longer set up time for the shot. I am 69 yrs old now and my first archery season was when I was 12 yrs old, I still hunt larger game and now a compound at 60lbs allows me to continue hunting. No more 75 lb recurves for me, just cant handle them. But, If you try to get as good as you can with any bow, you will soon be humbled. I practice just as much with my compounds as I did with my recurves. Just enjoy shooting your bows no matter what type you prefer and remember there will come a day when you see your last hunting season just around the corner. Just hunt,have fun, and make some bowhunting memories. Ron

27-Jul-15
Same ole, same ole.... I've read hundreds of these posts, and I'm truly amazed about how good most guys can shoot a compound!! I shoot both compound and recurve, and am not no dyed in the wool traditional shooter. Setting up and tuning a compound is a lot different then tuning a recurve. And it surely ain't easier then tuning a recurve. Most trad guys are happy with "good enough for 20 yards"... And yessir, most trad guys are extremely happy with pie plate groups at 20 yards. With the speed of today's compounds, they show everything, bad release, bad form, torqueing. Things you can get away with from a stickbow, you ain't getting away with on a compound. I love shooting a recurve, but if for some reason my accuracy isn't what it needs to be, I don't carry in into the woods until I'm completely happy and confident with my shooting. I'd rather kill an animal with my compound then make a bad shoot with my stickbow cause my shooting level was off with my stickbow...

27-Jul-15
Your call to make. Me, I would rather just be objective about my effective range with my sticks and wait until such an opportunity presented itself.

By the way, my longest shot with an osage selfbow was 26 yards... while my longest with a compound was 29 yards.

27-Jul-15
Just Enjoy your shooting your new bow and have fun.

I shoot both and had to switch to a compound but still really like my recurve or longbow. However, I just like shooting a bow and it doesn't matter which, I never get over the feeling of watching an arrow hit its mark and feeling the muscle tension waiting to release the string, its just addicting. I build recurve and longbows as well but would rather shoot a compound than have to quit archery.

27-Jul-15
I've killed a lot of game with a compounds and not as much but, plenty with a recurve and a longbow. Charlie Rehor said it best of everyone concerning the debate that always seems to arise between the extremes of the two camps. Each is different and, each has attributes and things that make them difficult. To different people that might be different. One thing that doesn't change is the mastering of either one. You'll get out of each what you put into each. Period.

I agree with Kevin Dill as well in most of his points. My average shot distance hasn't dropped one yard since switching back and staying with the traditional bows. And, for me they are just a better, deadlier tool. The shot sequence and, what goes into it for the compound, was just to complicated in comparison. I guess if I had started with one versus the trad bows, I'd likely never known that. Instead, I spent 18 years fighting the complicated, in comparison, shot sequence until I finally realized I had no need to.

Paper tuning can really help show torquing. So will long range shooting. And, do not set your draw too long. A 1/2 short shooting parallel is perfect and covers you out of the tree. This forces you to turn your grip hand like leaning against a wall almost, which forces the elbow bent out at a 45 degree angle, ensuring string clearance on all shot angles, and ensures you don't draw to the stop than creep off. Which makes you shoot HIGH every time. And, gripping the bow like this puts minimal palm into the grip, to eliminate torque, while forcing you to pull through the release which will increase accuracy tremendously. It sure worked for me.

One thing is for certain, as Buglim, Bowfreak, wybullshooter, and a few more pointed out, find you a coach. It can be a very easy thing to maintain but very hard to master alone. I'd suggest to implement the kisser, peep, all the tools to master the form needed on anchor to achieve the pin point accuracy they are capable of if shot correctly. They aren't as easy as some suggest for most people. As proper fit concerning the compound has just become mainstream in the last 1/2 decade or so. When fitted, tuned, and setup properly, what they offer over the trad bow is the tools that ensures you execute proper form repetitively every shot, and the bow is set up properly to deliver it. That is what kills trad shooters that blame their bow. They'll shoot with any compound ever made if the nut behind it can repeat anchor, release, and follow through like compound archers HAVE to do to be accurate. God Bless

27-Jul-15
I did the same thing this year. I just don't have the time or desire to shoot my recurve enough to ethically hunt with it.

28-Jul-15
Compounds weren't invented to make bowhunting harder. (That's not a bad thing by the way.)

I can't ever recall having a big game animal beyond my effective stickbow range, and wishing I had a compound or other longer-range weapon. Inside 50 yards the animals win most of the time, and I win a few times. That's the game as I learned it a long time ago.

There's no point arguing which weapon is best. Shoot your bow and learn to be a better hunter.

28-Jul-15
**I think people often confuse shooting vs hunting**

For the most part a compound is easier to shoot and requires less practice to stay proficient. However, that does not always carry over to the real world of hunting. People miss "chip shots" with all kinds of gear, including crossbows and rifles.

The average shot distance is pretty much the same for both trad and compounds. Shoot whatever you HUNT with best. You owe it to the animals we hunt.

I find trad more natural and fun and can shoot at game accurately to 30yds. However, due to shoulder/neck pain I will prob hunt with my compound this year and don't forsee any real change in my shot selection.

28-Jul-15
I haven't, but would in a heartbeat in the same situation

28-Jul-15
well I have learned this Hoyt real well. love this carbon spyder. my instructor from my club, big tournament shooter.....

learned about back tension etc, and shooting only at 7 feet, to work on form.....

I have now moved out to other distances, but I always work on form at 7 feet,,,,,,,,,

now getting set for the season, shooting fmjs and 125 grain ram cats,,,,,,,,,

I did notice the WB is not the rest I would want, if I shot really long distance, but at this time, it will be just fine, for spot and stalk,,,,,,,,,,

28-Jul-15
Razorhead have fun and ask what you will, they should not turn threads in to arguments. enjoy your bow and go kill something. Big difference for me having shot both for yrs is, nock height, and speed, sure don't change how many deer I take. and broad head choice for trad is always a CChead. I like both , but cant switch back and forth because such a diff. I noticed from going back to trad gear is I was able to get 3 bows and dozens of arrows for he price of one compound. also my targets last longer not being blown away. I did have deer duck the string last yr, but that's my fault for tacking shot over 20yds at a alert deer. I shot near 100 with stick, and close to 200 with wheels, I shot wheels from 1980 ish to 2013, that's the only reason for higher compound number. stick bow takes technique and time to get the feel for it, muscle memory is a big part of my game, I don't have to think to shoot , this gives me a much quicker shot ability from start of draw to death of buck, first month of hunting back with recurve I took a nice 6 for the freezer. Md5252 the main reason I stick with and went back to recurve is my neck fusion surgery, and shoulder pain.

28-Jul-15
Buglmin, read your post. That is your problem, you cannot get away with those things you mentioned with a recurve and be accurate either. I have hunted exrensively with both and am very proficient with both.(plenty of kills with both)I myself can not touch a compound for 2 years and go and pick it up and within 10 minutes be shooting baseball size groups at 30 yards and 4" groups at 40 within minutes. On the other hand If I lay my recurve down for 2 years I will be fine out to 20 yards in a few minutes but beyond it will take me quite a bit of time to feel hunting confident. Meaning paper plate at 40 yards. May take me days of shooting to get that feeling back. I will also say my last recurve which is my go too bow cost alot more than any compound I ever bought. Shawn

• Sitka Gear