Mark Watkins 17-Jul-15
SteveB 18-Jul-15
SteveB 18-Jul-15
Alpinehunter 19-Jul-15
Mark Watkins 25-Jul-15
TD 26-Jul-15
Landshark Launcher 26-Jul-15
14-Jul-15
I've been renting SAT phones for the past 5-6 years and am now thinking I am going to buy one before my next trip. Most recently (last couple of years) I have rented the Iridium 9555 (from Roadpost) and have been happy with it. It hasn't really changed in that time.

Is there anything that has come out that is lighter, smaller and "better" before I go out there and buy a 9555?

I just got a flip phone last week, so I am not very tech savy.

Mark

14-Jul-15
I saw a sat phone at Cabela's the other day for $499.00 I believe. It was not a whole lot larger than a cell phone. It was on display near the optics section. Sorry I cannot give you more information as I was just browsing.

14-Jul-15
The Iridium 9575 is the latest. Overall it is a little smaller than the 9555 and just a bit lighter at about 8.7 ounces.

14-Jul-15
You already know where I stand! 9575 all the way if you are gonna buy.

14-Jul-15
I have been "swapped out" to many times at the last minute on rentals. I am ready to buy a 9575 and was looking for a vendor. I want to buy only the prepaid cards because I will only need for September each year. Seems like everyone wants to sell you an annual plan. Anyone buy one with prepaid cards that they would recommend?

14-Jul-15
This year I bought the "Northern Lights" Plan...300 minutes in AK and Canada. Other years I've just bought the least expensive use'em or lose'm plans. I've always dealt with Explorer Satellite communications and they've always treated me right.

14-Jul-15
$1300 for the phone equates to a lot of rentals.

14-Jul-15
Where can you rent them and how much? Thanks. Mike

14-Jul-15
I have paid about $400 for a rental in the past. If I buy one it will cost me $200 for airtime. It will take me about 6 years more or less to break even. I plan on living more than 6 years so I am willing to buy.

Dollars are not my motivation to buy though I am most worried about the quality of the phones and being "swapped out" for a piece of crap at the last minute. One year my phone did not work at all. They told me they would overnight me another one the next day but UPS would not deliver to an address that included a trailhead number. Poor guy got an ear full from my wife. No way was I going to miss a day of hunting to sit around and wait for another phone.

Thanks kota I will try calling explorer.

14-Jul-15
eBay. Half price deals. I love my 9555.

14-Jul-15

TD's Link
If you already had a smart phone the Iridium Go might make sense at a lower price. Looks to be a good deal more versatile than just a phone.

Adding the cost of upgrading from a flip phone it might be a wash.

Been watching it, maybe in a couple years something like this can buy me some time in the field as well....

14-Jul-15
C'mon 'bou, it's a "business" expense...

14-Jul-15
am I the only one using Global Star ?

14-Jul-15
I was with a guy who cut his foot off in a snowmobile accident many years ago. I really don't care what they cost, you only need to have to use a sat phone once and its worth every penny regardless of what you paid.

14-Jul-15
I know two guys that have been airlifted. One would have died due to a ruptured colon. Both snowmobiling in SW MT.

In terms of renting...I have had very good experiences for the past 5+ years from Roadposts.

Bou, you bring up a valid point (as you often do)...mine will get used about 3-4 times in the average year. So, the financial guy in me says the "break even" at an all in cost of $200/ rental will be about 1.5 years.

Thanks for all the feedback on this topic...I appreciate it

Mark

15-Jul-15
I can tell you first hand that the new InReach SE is an amazing product and works from anywhere and has unlimited texting. For $250 it's incredible.

17-Jul-15
I love my IridiumGo, its way easier and nicer to use than my Iridium handheld. You use your smart phone for calls and texting from the comfort of your sleeping bag/tent and no tilting your head to get the antenna just right!

17-Jul-15
I just picked up the 9575.. I too will be on the Northern Lights 200mins per 6 months plan. I could easily get by renting for my extended hunts only but for essentially the same cost per year (ignoring the upfront expense) I can now carry one with me EVERYWHERE including day hikes, fishing trips, drives without cell service, etc... I can't put a price on that insurance policy.

17-Jul-15
+2 TEmbry!

Primitive, good feedback on the Iridium GO....I checked out the link that TD provided.

I realize the technology in the Iridium Go isn't new, but I've never been a cutting edge product guy, so the conservative in me says stick with the "proven" 9555 or the 9575.

Anybody else have experience (good, bad or ugly) in using the Iridium Go?

Mark

18-Jul-15
The Iridium GO looks great. But isn't it pricey to use?

The InReach SE doesn't have phone but texts or emails from anywhere for one fixed price per month.

18-Jul-15
Buy one on eBay that has minutes, then sell the phone on ebay when you return. I've always done well doing that and at times even made money. Just watch for a good deal.....

19-Jul-15
I'm switching from Sat phone rentals to the InReach purchase for my future hunts. As others have said, a purchase will allow for to having it along whenever I'm out of cell phone coverage for safety and important communications. I don't need it for business so voice isn't important. Seems like a lot of capability for less than 300 bucks and reasonable monthly fees.

25-Jul-15
As a follow up.....old habits die hard. I rented an Iridium again from Roadposts who I have had good luck with in the past

Thanks for all the insight!

Mark

26-Jul-15
Too cool!

Fully expect you to make use of it for some blow by blow updates.... You know.... just so we know you're safe and sound.... =D

26-Jul-15
SteveB Sent pm.

• Sitka Gear