T Mac 26-Mar-18
Mad Trapper 26-Mar-18
Kurt 26-Mar-18
PAstringking 27-Mar-18
BOWUNTR 07-Apr-18
Shug 08-Apr-18
Kurt 08-Apr-18
14-Jul-15
I met Joe Jakob at the P&Y convention this year. He seemed like a squared away guy. He donated a musk ox hunt for the auction. If anyone knows who bought that hunt, I'd love to talk to them.

I had been in contact with him after the convention to try and set up a Greenland musk ox hunt. At first he was petty on the ball with responses. But as things progressed, when I started asking for references and such, he kind of faded out on me.

I left him several messages and at this point it has been over a month since I have heard anything from him.

I understand sometimes bad stuff happens in peoples lives that can pull them away from business, but at this point I'm getting uncomfortable about the whole thing.

So my question, has anyone on here hunted with Joe and could give me any info, good or bad? He does mainly intentional stuff. Unfortunately, I'm ready to throw the towel in.

Any information I can get would be greatly appreciated.

15-Jul-15
I have seen his adds in various mags,but know nothing of his reputation. I always look it as a bad sign when the Outfitter takes a long time to respond , what if you needed help in the field ??? Unless he has had some kind of emergency?

15-Jul-15
Go with your gut....it usually won't steer you wrong. Sometimes we try to justify a questionable behavior because we really want to do something and end up with regret.

I speak from experience.

15-Jul-15
Steveb words are golden go with the Gut run run run dosent matter he was at PY !

16-Jul-15
Good point Steve B. I received a couple PMs as well from folks. I will look elsewhere.

Thanks everyone!

13-May-16
I bought the hunt at the P&Y convention. I go in August this year. I have been in contact with Joe many times since the convention. I was hoping to have some friends go along, but no one can commit this year. I'll let you guys know how it goes. He has sent me many photos of muskox taken recently. I know he is usually busy hunting, sometimes out of the country, but he keeps in touch better by email. He seems to think the bowhunt for muskox will be very close to 100% success, caribou tougher and depends on the condition of the hunter. I'm not on the bowsite very often, but you can email me if you'd like. Thanks Steve King

13-May-16
KING- I emailed P&Y asking them to put me in touch with you many months ago, but they didn't even respond to me(I'm a member).

I'd love to hear about how your hunt goes.

I ended up booking with Bowhunting Greenland simply because of the way Joe would disappear on me for weeks, sometimes months at a time(this includes answering emails). Seemed like a nice guy though.

I hope you have great hunt What are your dates? I'm hunting Aug 10-16 and will be in Iceland a few days on either side.

13-May-16
I have hunted with Joe, spent a whole week with him, and have nothing but good to report. Took a nice quebec bear with him. He knows his business and I would certainly hunt with him again. And I mean a whale of a good bear hunt. He does travel a lot and he's a one man show so you have to give that the weight it deserves. I plan on maybe getting hold of him again to go to Scotland. Joe's a great guide and outfitter, make no mistakes about that.

13-May-16
you also have to remember.....joe is an international hunter and has appeared to have a lot of repeat business. there are not many one man shows that are running hunts in 5 countries or so. most outfitters have their hands full operating 1000 acres for a 3 month season. most can't make a go of that for very long either. He hunts all season, and I don't believe he has any problems filling hunting spots, so if you are looking for the intimate long term exchanging of trail cam pics, call after call after call and someone courting you into spending your money there.....you probably won't get that.

13-May-16
It's all water under the bridge now. Hunt is booked.

Pat your stellar reviews when I emailed you about him is one reason I went with Frank. He has been top notch so far with communication and info.

Very excited for this hunt.

16-May-16
I arrive in Kangerlussuaq, Greenland on the evening of Aug. 15th and then straight out to camp. My overnight in Reykjavik is on the 22nd. We may cross paths in Greenland? Depending on flights and destination? I'll get back on the Bowsite and update when I return. Thanks

16-May-16
I'm also hunting in Greenland w/ Frank Feldman. Flying out on July 25th. The countdown is on, 69 days to go! I've been packed since January.

16-May-16
My dates are Iceland Aug 7-9. Greenland Aug 10-16. Then Iceland Aug 17-20. Anyone who will be around those dates let me know and maybe we can meet up.

King- I'll be flying into Narsarsuaq so I doubt we will cross paths in Greenland.

I'm looking fwd to your report Randy. I'll be right behind you!

16-May-16
I had a friend that just did that hunt with Joe, he took a nice musk-ox the 2nd day. Had nothing but good things to say about the trip.

17-Oct-16

KING's embedded Photo
KING's embedded Photo
The hunt I bought at Pope and Young turned out great. Karsten Lings (Lynx) runs a very organized camp. Muskox were very plentiful. Everyone in camp shot at least one bull, with most shooting two. Shot the first one at 22 yards and the second at 35 yards.

17-Oct-16

KING's embedded Photo
KING's embedded Photo

17-Oct-16

KING's embedded Photo
KING's embedded Photo
2nd muskox

17-Oct-16
Cool deal! Congrats!

17-Oct-16
Congrats!!

17-Oct-16
Congrats! Details on Joe's hunt please.

17-Oct-16
Congrats. Greenland is a awesome place.

02-Aug-17
Anyone else have any input on this hunt/outfitter. I have an invite to go the first week of April 2018. I'd like to hear some input from those who have gone early. Thanks. Ed F

26-Mar-18

HeavyHunter's embedded Photo
Musk ox
HeavyHunter's embedded Photo
Musk ox

HeavyHunter's Link
Attention mountain man You asked about who won the Greenland musk ox hunt. His name is Jeff Strong. Here is his experience in his own words: Most of us have seen it from the air at one point or another, whether on a business trip or a vacation to Europe, on a clear day it is a beautiful harsh and intimidating sight even from 35,000 feet. I clearly remember the first time I flew over it on a trip to Holland, there is an absolute stillness to it, like a giant jagged iceberg floating in the Atlantic. I didn’t know much about Greenland then, and would have never imagined that the there was much worth chasing on that big block of ice, but I will say; even then I thought it would be an interesting place to see from the ground. I was both right and wrong, it is most definitely an interesting place, but there is also plenty worth chasing, and it is far from one big block of ice. I guess it shouldn’t be to surprising that I eventually ended up in Greenland, there is something enticing to most of us that hunt about being in an area and knowing you can walk for miles in every direction without seeing another person, an area essentially untouched by modern day man, a place rich with game that makes you feel like you stepped back in time 100 years. Before we step back in time 100 years Let’s step back in time to 2016 MN/WI wild-sheep auction, that should make both you and I happy as that makes us at least a couple years younger ? The next name I am going to mention should not really be of too much surprise to anyone, and I don’t think he needs much introduction: Mr. Joe Jakab, Owner of Point Blank Hunts, a gentleman who does an awful lot for this industry, an awful lot for the Sheep foundation and has been donating hunts to this organization and many others for as long as I can remember, however although I had seen Joe around at the banquets every year, I really didn’t know him before that auction. I had reviewed the auction list prior to attending the banquet and knew Joe had donated a trip to Greenland; in all honesty I think I had decided that I was going before I ever showed up at the banquet, but after I was able to chat a bit with the guy who had taken the trip the previous year, it was decided. After a bit of going back and forth in the auction with several others who had also decided they were going to Greenland, I won the trip. Joe was busy talking to others, and while I talked to him briefly, we didn’t have a lot of time to chat, however somewhere during that conversation I must have mentioned I liked to fly fish. Fast forward to spring of 2017 – I guess I should have seen the flash in Joe’s eyes when I mentioned fly fishing. I called Joe in the spring just prior to the WI Brule river opener, and asked about upgrading the Musk OX hunt to include a Caribou, as well as adding several other guys I knew that wanted to go, during that conversation we somehow started to talk about fly fishing. Joe told me he had never caught a wild a steelhead on a fly rod, but it was on his bucket list. I quickly discovered that Joe is certifiably “trout crazy” which is something we both have in common. It certainly didn’t take much convincing to get Joe along with a couple of friends on the river where we made a very short mission of getting Joe his first Steelhead on a fly rod, after that first trip We spent several more weekends chasing steelhead on both the Brule and North shore rivers of Minnesota and Wisconsin, with some very productive days as well as some not so productive days- but if your fishing for steelhead to catch fish, you are doing it for the wrong reasons; at least in my opinion. I will say that I got to know Joe pretty well during all those steelhead runs, and am truly glad that I did, Joe is a great guy and a hell of a lot of fun. As September got closer we added several other friends to the trip, 4 in total: Myself, John Livingston, Chad Latvaho and Steve Theoney. Time seems to go so slow before hunting season or before any hunting trip, there were multiple trips to the local tavern to discuss our plans and the upcoming adventure: equipment discussions, what to bring, what not to bring, and to be honest September always seemed like it was forever away, but finally the day was here, we were going to Greenland. Getting to Greenland in itself is an interesting experience. If you go in August you have the option and easy flight to Iceland and then a 4 hour flight into Greenland, via Iceland air, if you go in September as we did, Iceland Air no longer fly’s to Kangerlussq (Greenland’s Main Hub) so your only alternative is Greenland Air, which means you must fly to Copenhagen Denmark and then back to the west side of Greenland. This sounds like a pain but really isn’t, and I would highly recommend doing the latter as Copenhagen is a beautiful city and well worth a couple day stay on its own. After spending several days in Copenhagen we left for Greenland where we were greeted at the Kangerlussq airport by Joe and Karsten Lings who runs the Greenland Camp, we took a short car ride to the beach of a glacial river which feeds the longest feord in the world, and then an hour ride by jet boat into camp – Camp is just off the river and was made up of several wall tents a main kitchen tent, as well as a smaller supply tent. The setting was absolutely breathtaking, and Karsten his wife Hanne as well as our guides Jan and Itonlock were all exceptional hosts during the entirety of our stay. The first night was spent getting settled, and meeting several other hunters who were on their way out in the morning, after a few adult beverages, a bit of caribou fat, some storytelling and a spectacular show of northern lights, sleep came quickly- and so did sunrise. We awoke to a very cold but beautiful morning, waited a bit for the ice to subside from the river and headed toward the icecap. After reaching our destination just short of a small hunting cabin, we unloaded the boats and headed up into the hills- we did not go far! Karsten spotted a good bull Caribou just across the other side of a small lake and also several good Musk Ox. Chad and Steve were up first with one stalking around the lake to the Caribou, and the other headed toward a large group of Musk Ox to the south. I think Jon and I were just content to watch the whole thing through binoculars, as both stalks were taking place simultaneously. Steve connected first with a beautiful bull Caribou and Chad followed shortly after taking a giant old musk ox with his bow. Day 2 concluded with several more animals taken, too say we were all having a great time would be an understatement, every evening was ended by great food great, great conversation and at least a couple nights a great show of northern lights. By day 3 Chad had filled out, Steve needed a Musk Ox, I was looking for a Caribou and Jon still had both tags open. We were all seeing a ton of animals, but being very selective about the maturity of the animals being taken. There were also several blown stalks in those first couple days, and honestly the hunting was moderately easy, I will only say it was a nice way to ease into what was coming. The nights were getting increasingly colder, by day 4 the river had decreased in flow and was down almost a foot. The boats were no longer able to get up the river as far, and getting up and hiking into the animals became our best option. The hunt quickly changed in difficulty and became equivent to that of a northern Montana elk hunt. We would start at 150 feet sea level and hike to 2800 to 3000 feet each morning, stopping to glass the surrounding hillsides for 20 min and then moving on. It was a lot more work, but afforded us the opportunity to really see the country we were hunting and also see a lot more animals. By day 5 and 6 we were hiking 10-14 miles a day – I honestly would not have had it any other way, there were several times when we belly crawled over the top of a ridge to see a sight that looked like something out of dances with wolves, but instead of buffalo, it was musk ox and caribou herds as far as the eye could see. This truly is a land where you have the ability to hunt as hard as you want too, if you want to walk 20 miles a day and look at every caribou or musk ox in that 20 miles before you take one; that is it a very viable option, alternatively if you are unable to do so Joe, Karsten and guides Jan and Itonlock will do everything in their power to make sure you have a successful trip and Hanne will make sure you don’t go hungry!!! In the end we all ended up taking spectacular animals with several making P&Y and a musk ox that could be very well one of the largest ever taken (score still pending) I can only say in closing, thank you so much to our hosts Karsten his wife Hanne and both guides Jan and Itonlock for giving us the opportunity to hunt such a great land, additionally a very special thanks to Joe Jakab for providing such a quality hunt and giving back so much every year to many different organizations –his passion for what he does and the wildlife around the world truly speaks for itself.

Jeff Strong

26-Mar-18
Heavy hunter-I did ask about it, albeit 3 years ago. I couldn't get enough information when it was needed. Water under the bridge at this point.

I had a great hunt with the outfit I chose. I'm glad everyone's hunts up there went well.

26-Mar-18
Oh my, we fly out on Saturday... Ed F

26-Mar-18
Good luck Ed!

26-Mar-18
Glad to hear everyone is having a great time, no matter the out fitter. ??

26-Mar-18
Good luck, Ed!

26-Mar-18
Sounds like a very target rich environment.

26-Mar-18
Good Luck!

26-Mar-18
Good luck Ed! Bet it will be cold as heck!

27-Mar-18
The only advice I will put out there is to be very careful when dealing direct with outfitters in Greenland. Frank obviously has a great reputation...so that is no worry.

But...there are a few guys building websites and charging low $$ for hunts in euros. Just be warned that you get what you pay for.

Concessions, quality equipment, and good food/lodging are NOT cheap in Greenland. So if you are paying $3500-4000 euros....you might only get one of the above expensive items.

07-Apr-18
Done.... bucket list hunt. 6 hunters, 9 nice muskox. This thread is spot on, Joe is busy and communication could have been better... but, Karstin and crew are top of the food chain in that part of Greenland. Joe is donating a hunt to the P&Y auction in Omaha next April.... Ed F

08-Apr-18
Gheeezzzz 9!?! Did ya save a few for other hunters?

08-Apr-18
Congratulations Ed! Do we need to raise the P&Y minimum on them or is it OK? Joke from the other thread!

• Sitka Gear