r-man 23-Jul-15
CAS_HNTR 23-Jul-15
Hawkeye 23-Jul-15
RutNut@work 23-Jul-15
deadeye 23-Jul-15
Cheesehead Mike 27-Jul-15
BigRed 27-Jul-15
14-Jul-15
I need a different atv and I'm looking at a new 2014 Yamaha Grizzly 550. I have two, one acre plots. I have an atv 4' disc and a drag that I use (used separately).

Are there any know issues with the 2014 Grizzly 550?

Will the Grizzly 550 be enough for food plot work?

15-Jul-15
I have a friend who had one of the big Ranger 900s burn up (like flames and to the ground) just towing the cultipacker. For tillage I would only recommend a tractor. You can get a ford 8N for under $3000 and get a less expensive atv (I use a honda rancher 420 PS/AT) and spend the same or less money and have better luck. IMHO spraying is the only ag task an atv can do properly.

15-Jul-15
Logistically a tractor is not a consideration. I don't have a place to store it. I don't live on the land and I've had one theft so far in the five years that I've owned the land. I don't have the patience, knowledge, etc to be wrenching on a tractor. I know it will break. If an atv breaks I can just push it onto my trailer and bring it to the fix it man. A tractor is a different story, at least for me.

I use a atv for bear hunting anyway, so it will be used for plots as well.

15-Jul-15
I was pulling a heavy DR Brush mower behind a 2007 660 Grizzly. Damn thing overheated a lot...

I now have a new CanAm Outlander 650 v-twin, and it has a lot more torque and does not overheat... I would not want to use it for heavy tilling though, unless a very small area...

15-Jul-15
For the price of a Grizzly 550 you can buy a new sub compact 20 some horse tractor (MF, mahindra etc) that can ride on the same trailer, and retain alot more resale value for future changes, plus have a real tractor and do real tractor stuff. Price without a loader for comparison, unless the Yamaha comes with a loader.....

15-Jul-15
A Kubota B2630 is 26 HP and with 4WD and no loader is very close to the same price, and can be hauled on the same trailer. MF and Mahindra are considerably cheaper. My dad just bought a new 34 HP (a compact, which is the next size up from sub compactt) Massey 1734e with the upgraded loader for $16k and 0% finance for 6 years.

15-Jul-15
With a loader you can just scoop up the bear and down the road you go, and if baiting think 800-1000# per bucket load.....A tractor in road gear is near 20 MPH......

15-Jul-15
If you are dead set on an ATV, I'd suggest getting a machine over 550cc.

You'd be much better to get something close to or over 700cc.

I have a 2004 Kawasaki Praire 700 and that thing is a work horse. Solid rear axle and I've pulled a big disk with it and never had it over heat.

I replaced the belt 2 years ago with a better aftermarket type, but the tech said it really wasn't necessary. Said it was in good shape and that I keep it for a backup.

Go big or get a tractor.

15-Jul-15
I also have two one acre plots. I used to use a tractor , but it was a little too large. I switched to a Honda Rubicon. Transmission , I thought , was my top priority over engine size.

I pull the Kunz Till Ease with it. The tractor was too much torque and would break plow blades on the Kunz. Solved that problem with the ATV. Don't overdo it and the ATV will do the job. I've been using the Honda for the last 4 years without issue. I think foodplots are hard on the ATV s . Ideally , for me , a smaller tractor would be the solution . But I don't think I have to make that change any time soon.

15-Jul-15

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
I have a 700 but for $270. I can rent a 4x4 tractor with a bucket and tiller. I get my plots done in 3 hours.

15-Jul-15

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo

15-Jul-15
Do as Michael stated. I have tried working plots with ATV's. It is a waste of time short of broadcast fertilizing, seeding, raking seed beds, and spraying. All of which can be done just as well on a tractor. However, the atv leaves a lot to be desired for breaking ground or, even disking tilled ground. The disk's don't weigh enough, the machine isn't capable enough, none of the attachments work a 1/10th as well as tractor attachments for the intended jobs. The deficiencies are endless when comparing to a tractor for food plot work. God Bless

15-Jul-15
rent one for large areas. I get buy with my set up, but its more work then its worth, next I'll invest in a tow behind tiller.

16-Jul-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I use an Arctic Cat 700 EFI on some of my plots for pulling the disk, harrow and old truck hood to pack the seed bed.

I don't think I'd want to go much smaller than the 700 for pulling the disk. The 700 never overheats and it has a lot of power but it is working pretty hard sometimes and I get it stuck once in awhile pulling the disk in heavy soil. I'm thinking it's pretty hard on it and eventually I'd like to get a tractor... hopefully before I wreck the ATV.

16-Jul-15

The old '87 GMC works better for the heavy disk work...

16-Jul-15

Hawkeye's Link
I have been using this Tarter product on a friends recommendation since May and works pretty slick. I have a Ranger UTV and does pretty well with it. Granted a tractor would be better but I cant justify the cost for a few times a year. I can use the UTV for family, cams, hauling etc.

It does get "hot" but I run it in Low and 4x4 and our soil in SE Iowa is pretty "loamy". Not sure if Ill destroy my UTV but its working really well so far :)

I think this tool is worth the cost.

16-Jul-15
Tractor is key you would be shocked how much work u can get done with a machine and just a few implements I towed my machine over 1200 one way well worth it stolen thats what ins is for , plus atv is more likely to get lifted . Older tractors are basic mechs easy to work on .

16-Jul-15
hawkeye, that's a nifty looking contraption. how $ ?

16-Jul-15
I got a good deal on mine with $35 shipping as long as picked up at Theisens. Total after tax and shipping was $1800. Cabelas has them on sale BUT shipping is $400-600 from what the girl said:0

You can likely get for $1800 ish. Works really well. Almost too well so have to be careful not to disc too deep. Weights 750 lbs and very back heavy. Almost lost a few teeth when let tongue go for a second. Now I hook a 50lbs dumbbell to the front so can maneuver onto UTV hitch. I drive it from my utility garage to farm (6 miles). I owned a tractor for 5 years but disntbuse as often as ATV and storage was $$. Each case is unique but this works for a weekend warrior like myself:)

17-Jul-15
Mike i did the same this spring got a flat on the tractor tire was two days out so my dodge pulled a disc till tire was in .

17-Jul-15
Didn't mean to offend you Pat ;^)

City, I thought the old wood-hauler worked pretty well!

18-Jul-15
'88 S-10 Blazer, no title, $200. Old disc from neighbor, $200. Has worked for at least 10 years.

Blazer needs a battery.

-Joe

18-Jul-15
Mike, I think Pat was just bothered that an old square body could do as well as the fancy equipment he has;)

23-Jul-15

Hawkeye's DeerBuilder embedded Photo
Hawkeye's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

OK...I'm ready to eat crow: (

This is a BRAND NEW Polaris Ranger 570. I called dealer and told them ran 'hot'. But was told that is normal and just drive it. I only had out about a dozen ties and for just an hour or so. Yesterday I was mowing with a really small swisher. Can even load it by hand so light.

After an hour I left for another field and noticed that the mower had quit cutting. I made a note to engage it once I got to the second field.

Once I got there I stopped. Took head set off and went to undo belt buckle. I liked down and from between the front seat and bucket was nothing but flames. It was climbing the passenger seatbelt and seat. I jumped out and ran. Made it to about 50 yards and turned around. Within 1 minute in EXPLODED!!!!!!

I jumped and just put hands over ears. Few blasts later (tires I assume) it was toast. If the blades hadn't stopped I wouldn't have got off and it would have either BURNED me bad or would have exploded as I drove. Still shook up a bit. Happened yesterday.

It did burn my field though before fire department got there so have good seed bed now.....

23-Jul-15
glad your ok, a tractor is looking better every day. the good thing is insurance is for things just like this. the manufacturer is most likely at fault, loose fuel or leaking can burst in to a firey blaze in seconds

23-Jul-15
WOW!

23-Jul-15
Yeah, I'm not sure I have the guts to get another one. Scared the h*ll outta me.

May have to just rent tractors and use my little ATV to puddle around.

23-Jul-15
Hawkeye, glad you are ok. I have heard of a lot of the newer Rangers running hot. A friends mom just bought a brand new one and it runs hot and shuts down. Not to turn this into a brand war. But I've never been fond of Polaris for doing any hard work. If I was going to rely on an ATV for plots/work it would be Honda or Yamaha.

23-Jul-15
Hawkeye,I have a swisher 11 horse trail mower just like that and I have mowed my property with it behind my Honda Rancher 350 since 2003.I've mowed 3 foot grass and 3 foot brush for food plots with no problems with either one except for changing the belt on the mower every couple years.Both are work horses.

27-Jul-15
Holy crap Hawkeye! Glad you got off in time!

27-Jul-15
I have the Yamaha 700 Grizzly. It's my baby, and I wouldn't dream of doing any discing with it. I do pull a harrow on occasion to cover seed, but that's it. And only after the ground has already been worked.

For heavy field work, do as others have suggested. Rent a tractor. You'll do the work in a third the time and have much better results.

• Sitka Gear