Matt 24-Jul-15
TD 24-Jul-15
Teeton 24-Jul-15
Matt 24-Jul-15
Drnaln 24-Jul-15
cityhunter 25-Jul-15
Bigdan 25-Jul-15
19-Jul-15
When you refer to a "Pope and Young" animal are you referring to (A) the size of the animal only, or (B) the fact the animal was officially scored, the waiting period met, all fair chase conditions for that specific species complied with, all paperwork / documentation presented to the Club, all payments made, animal officially accepted by the Club, and all recognition provided back to the hunter confirming the animal is a clean entry in the book.

19-Jul-15
To me a P&Y animal means B. "P&Y Class" means i think it would make book if measured.

19-Jul-15
It's not Pope and Young until "B" happens. Otherwise I agree with Greg,

19-Jul-15
To me if its not scored and entered in P&Y its not P&Y Anyone can blow smoke claming they killed a P&Y animal. But if its not scored and entered its not.

19-Jul-15
It's not a "Pope and Young" animal until it's officially scored and all criteria has been met in order for it to be officially recognized by the Pope & Young Club.

19-Jul-15
PY adopted there scoring from the B.C club ! many bowhunters just use it as a gauge to determine what a animal looks like .. Many bowhunters /hunters dont enter there animals no matter what the score is . So if PY can use B.C score system i see no problem with a avg joe saying he killed a 130 py buck .

19-Jul-15
Lets reverse the question.

I tell you 'I shot a nice 10 point whitetail'. You ask me 'how big is it'. I tell you 'it weighed 210 lbs'. You say 'I'm talking about the antlers dummy'(I have not entered it/been accepted into P&Y).

How would you like me to answer the question when you are looking for a measurement equivalent??

19-Jul-15
Bill funny todays hunters first question is what did it score .

19-Jul-15
"How would you like me to answer the question when you are looking for a measurement equivalent??"

Personally, all I want is for them to tell me, "I shot a nice "x" point, then fill in any applicable adjectives. Big, dinky, wide, narrow, even, lots of kickers, or anything else that applies. Even if they tell me the "score", I take it with a grain of salt anyway. Funny how that "350 class" bull shrinks considerably when it's officially scored, or when you see it in person! ;-)

19-Jul-15
+1 Wyo. I don't believe anyone's supposed "P&Y" estimation anymore unless it has had a tape applied. That can be themselves if they've had some officially scored and know how to do it properly.

A P&Y animal is one that has been entered.

A "300 bull" that hasn't been taped is usually somewhere between 240 and 285 in real life.

19-Jul-15
An animal is not anything until it has been officially scored and entered into the record book by the scoring organization be B&C, P&Y, SCI, ROE , etc.

Otherwise it is just trash talk and a "PENDING world record!"

19-Jul-15
Most hunters will simply describe bucks as say, a "140 class 8-pt", or a "low 150's 10-pt", or a bull as a "300-class 6x6". As the most universally-accepted measuring system, we know they mean B&C/P&Y inches. Although they're usually talking "gross" braggin' inches, and not a real score.

Using the term "P&Y" should indicate that the trophy has been scored and entered as a legitimate fair chase archery kill.

19-Jul-15
An animal is not anything until its been scored and entered!!!! Buff are you for real ? Buff this is why 99.9% of bowhunters dont join PY club ! This is sad a animal only worth its net score !

I ask would you guys still enter your animals without hunter recognition ?

Yes most cant score correctly thats a fact, tapes get stretched thats also a fact. I once got a call 22 inch plus bear was killed i told my friend to tell his friends were they sure OHHH yes outfitter scored it , I green scored it 15 days after it was killed 19 inch plus A great bear but the hunter accused me of doing something wrong .Hunter then took his awesome blk bear skull and i heard tossed it away why cause in his mind he shot a giant ! bear turned out to be just another good one , Hunter put too much on the score. Same happened with a pair of whitetail hunters from iowa there 160 class netted upper 120s in there eyes once they knew the real score the bucks were junk lost total respect for the animal due to its lack of antlers .

So i ask would u still pay to enter a animal without hunters name next to the score .. In my opinion only the top 10 of each animal should have huters name next to it . who cares tony killed number 22,367 whitetail !!

Im sure we have all lied about measuments of some kind or another :>

19-Jul-15
B

19-Jul-15
The internet adds 30-50 inches to a bull.

19-Jul-15
City,

Shame on me. I was a member before I ever had a animal to enter.

I guess I'm weird as I just happened to believe in and support the core beliefs of P&Y, before record book entry ever entered the equation.

19-Jul-15
If I tell a buddy I just saw a P&Y class buck, he knows it will score 125" or more... What's the big deal anyway? Everyone knows it's not official - until it's official. If I was hunting with a gun (very rare) and said I saw a P&Y buck - same deal, 125 or better. To me, in the field, it represent a damn nice rack that will most likely make book or be close. My only issue is that I don't even see one but every 3-5 years so you don't have to worry about me uttering that phrase much :)

19-Jul-15
City: I think you measured the skull incorrectly! You may have caused that guy to throw away a perfectly good 20 + inch skull. Ha Ha Ha!!

19-Jul-15
Wapiti Bob-- the Internet AND television. Or else all that stuff about TV adding 10# must make antlers look a lot smaller than the score pasted across the screen...

B is the correct answer IMO Bou. I'm always amazed with yahoos who take all the "credit" of taking P&Y animals without going through the process.

19-Jul-15
I guess I can't play this game because I don't reference any animal as " P&Y ". I usually reference buck deer as a 3.5 year old, a 4.5 year old, etc. , everything else is referenced as fun to hunt and good to eat.

19-Jul-15

19-Jul-15
A Booner on the other hand...... =D

You can say "might have been P&Y" you can say I shot a toad. You can say lots of things.... it's just talk, words, our president says lots of things.....

I't not P&Y until entered and measured.

20-Jul-15
B

As sticksender said: "Most hunters will simply describe bucks as say, a "140 class 8-pt", or a "low 150's 10-pt", or a bull as a "300-class 6x6". As the most universally-accepted measuring system, we know they mean B&C/P&Y inches. Although they're usually talking "gross" braggin' inches, and not a real score.

Using the term "P&Y" should indicate that the trophy has been scored and entered as a legitimate fair chase archery kill."

20-Jul-15
It is ok to use the P&Y system to score the antlers without intending to submit the deer to P&Y or is that a crime of some sort?

20-Jul-15
Who cares. Just shoot what you like.

20-Jul-15
I have to agree with Bowfreak... Who cares? I'm a member of P&Y and proudly. It's a reference to some and I'm sure most aren't trying to pull the wool over anyone. Kind of petty in my opinion.

20-Jul-15
They just opened a new Field and Stream store in the Pittsburgh area. It is a nice store and the archery area has many whitetail mounts. They also have the "score" posted with each mount. My son and I laughed when we saw some of the scores. I would estimate that many of the scores are exaggerated by 20+ points.

20-Jul-15
Tom maybe they used a diff scoring method like SCI .

My point is dont let the final score tarnish the memory of the hunt .

20-Jul-15
Never had an animal scored and never will. Fortunately for me that's how I was brought up, and the same for my son. To many of us have all been struck by the BIG DICK SYNDROME. Too much TV I guess. Get in the woods, enjoy your time, and if your LUCKY, put meat on the table. Cheers.

20-Jul-15
I use inches on most guys and centimeters on blowhards...

20-Jul-15
"To many of us have all been struck by the BIG DICK SYNDROME."

Judging by your post, I'd say that's true.

20-Jul-15
Keywadin, my question is this...

If you have never had an animal scored and don't care about score, what prompted you to even open a thread titled "P&Y References"...much less respond to it?

20-Jul-15
Referring to an animal as a "P&Y ______" implies more than just size. It also means that it was killed with archery tackle in a legal manner and under fair-chase guidelines, thus, not in a high fence enclosure, etc. all of those stipulations are equally as important as the animal's size.

Additionally, although less important, is the fact that many people over estimate the size of their trophies when using the B&C/P&Y measuring system.

These two facts combined are why many people, as is evedenced by this thread, object to referring to any animal as a "P&Y _____" including animals that are still alive or have not been entered.

The fact is, though, that many people use the term only to convey a size that they believe any North American big game animal happens to be, whenever they reference the animal.

20-Jul-15
I get a kick out of guys who claim to have killed "X" number of big bucks that "would make book" but they're so cool they have no interest in entering any.

So why mention it at all? Is there some added level of coolness by being elevated above those who do choose to officially score and enter animals.

I don't always enter my animals, but when I do, I know they are Pope and Young.

20-Jul-15
I've entered some animals, if I were to take something exceeding the minimums would it need to be called an archery taken B&C _________?

20-Jul-15
LOU only a very small percent of big bucks make it into the record books esp whitetails ! Lou if hunters name was not listed with the animal would you still enter your critter? If the purpose is record keeping for the sake of the animal why include hunters name ? why not just the state, year, etc.

I support these clubs but only entered my first PY buck and a sheep the sheep i waited over a yr to score and was pressured by outfitter /guide to enter it. One can support these clubs without entering a critter a check is just fine!!!!

20-Jul-15
Louis whats going on have you went to the dark side?

20-Jul-15
The answer is B... I've only gone through the process once to have an exceptional bull entered but have unofficially scored many bulls.

20-Jul-15
At least scores are not separated in the book by general member class entries versus senior member entries. hmmm, but membership is divided. I think of a deer when referenced as P and Y to be just above 125 at least while on the hoof

20-Jul-15
Ed why didmt you join PY years ago ? Ed its not fair for all the members that have gone thru the reqirments to move ahead in the PY club . The Senior members have earned it I joined PY with full knowledge of all its rules /laws in place ,, Why join a club if one wants to change it.

20-Jul-15
Someone I trust judging animals:

A P&Y elk is likely to score over 260" and under 360"

A B&C elk is over 360"

Most people telling me a story:

A P&Y elk means 240" to 280"

A B&C elk means 280"+

20-Jul-15
My basic idea of PY records versus BC records is PY are bow kills and BC are rifle kills. The PY minimum score is what it takes to enter it into the record books, if one so desires.

20-Jul-15
Louis,

The Guiness Book of World Records also lists the name of the record holder. It's part of having a "record" at all: What was the record and who created the record?

Not posting the name of the record holder leaves the record incomplete and makes it no longer a record, but rather a statistic. Statistics are one of the positive aspects of keeping a record, but not the only one.

If you want to call into question the motivation for some people's entering animals as soley for the glory of men, then why do you trophy hunt? I've seen your pictures of mature animals on Bowsite.

For the experience of hunting them? That's what I'd guess. But then why post pictures?

Records are a part of trophy hunting, whether you like them or not. Some people don't agree with trophy hunting. In that case, disparage trophy hunting, not the records.

I don't understand being a trophy hunter, then disparaging the records thereof.

Everyone has their reasons for hunting how they like to do it. Just because someone enters their animal and someone else doesn't, doesn't take anything away from either hunter's experience afield, and thus, shouldn't imply anything about the hunter himself.

No one's a mind reader and no one walks even a single step in someone else's shoes.

20-Jul-15
pav, Didn't start the thread. Bou'bound did. (see top of page) My point (question, statement) was. I just don't know why there is so much emphasis on scoring everything. Like cityhunter said. "Todays hunters first question is what did it score". "Who cares Tony killed 22,637 whitetail". I thought it was about being in the woods with archery tackle and trying to get a shot off if possible. Everyone likes and wants to shoot something big, myself included, I get it. But scoring is not that important to ME. I DIDN'T SAY anyone else was wrong for doing it. I was just wondering.

Been hunting for over 30 yrs. when I can, and I bet I don't have half a dozen animals that would make Pope and Young.

Shot my first Elk this year (small one) and have no idea what he scored. Didn't care. It was the best hunt I've ever been a part of. That's my point.

Didn't mean to get everyone panties in a bunch.

20-Jul-15
I think the next time someone asks me what my animal scored I'll just answer, one point less than me. I won and he lost. That should clear it up.

20-Jul-15
I think it's cool to see the names - not necessarily of Johnny NoCam who killed number 22,346, but looking through I can see the names of legends no longer with us who killed great animals back in the day, or of those who are now unable to bowhunt but were giants among us at one time.

I am in favor of the proposal to list gross score as supplemental, because that's how much bone or horn the animal actually grew.

So yes, I am interested in seeing who killed what, where, and when. For those who don't want to play, that's cool too. Talk about scores when describing animals so we know how much you are exaggerating when we see the rack, and know not to trust your judgment in the future. Just please don't denigrate the record keeping system or claim to have killed a "P&Y" this or that unless it was scored and entered.

20-Jul-15
"I am in favor of the proposal to list gross score as supplemental, because that's how much bone or born the animal actually grew."

I am certainly for that.

20-Jul-15
Ike i kill cows i kill does i like to kill mature animals I dont consider them trophys , a trophy is what one gets when he wins a sporting event. Killing a animal is not a sport in my opinion.

Guiness book is all about folks trying to out perform the other so its bragging rights .

Ike we all as humans like to brag and show off our accomplishment some show pics of hot GFs some show pictures of there rides its human nature .

Ike im not saying dont enter a critter to anybody but as humans we all are guilty of bragging showing off at one point . Chuck Adams is my idol grew up on him i think Adams held the number of total entries in PY over a hundred I look at Chuck in Awe at his archery record. All i asked if hunters name was not included would u still enter it Im curious ?

Ike have you ever scored for PY or BC ? Its been my sad experience that most hunters were not happy with there final scores . These hunters based there whole hunt on that final number which in fact takes away from why i bowhunt . This is of course only my experience first hand! I was there when our famous Jack Harris had his first buck scored, by Marc ,Jack was all smiles ,and so was I !

lOU i killed a 332 6/8 type BC bull last year :>

Dan im old school PY to the core ask Herm !!!

20-Jul-15
Louis, if you killed one that measured 332 I trust you. You know how to measure and field judge.

If Johnny NoCam tells me that, but didnt have it officially scored, then I figure it was probably 295.

Like the guy I caribou hunted with who killed a nice, but not record-caliber bull. I was there and put my hands on the rack. He was later telling everyone he killed a "Pope and Young" bull. I asked if he had it scored and he said no, but some guy saw it at his house in CO and said so. That's what I'm talking about.

P&Y serves as a great B.S. detector.

20-Jul-15
Louis,

I see your point but don't agree.

Sure it's not a sport. And perhaps "trophy". Hunting is not the right term for what a lot of us do, but even many who would consider themselves meat hunters still wouldn't turn down a WR animal. Scoring animals can and does often times have nothing to do with dick waving.

There's guys out there that would enter the animals for their own satisfaction.

Keywadin, pav didn't say you started the thread. He said you opened it.

20-Jul-15
I spent a career in the personnel arena. I was responsible for ensureung that people I hired met the job reqiements and specs.

I can't tell you how many people I have interviewed who claimed to have s college degree or a certain required certification but in actuality didn't possess what they professed.

My point it if you claim it - prove it- let's see the paperwork and proof.

I agree with many - it is about the fun and the memories. A "trophy" is in the mind of the hunter. But don't claim something to be something it isn't. Some of my greatest trophies are animals taken on hunts that aren't even eligible for any type of record book scoring.

The purpose of names by entries is for recording purposes. It intent is not about bragging ( which is an ego mindset).

20-Jul-15
"I was there when our famous Jack Harris had his first buck scored," to clarify - my first P&Y buck :) And please don't elevate me to TBM status just yet... Pretty sure you had a much bigger Iowa buck and an elk for Shug to score than my puny NJ buck :) And you guys need to kiss and make up at some point...

20-Jul-15
I guess I don't kill enough "trophies" as I am always proud to enter my animals that make P&Y. Of course, I am proud of my animals that don't make "book" too. I'm glad P&Y is around to speak for bowhunters and I am very happy to support them and hopefully keep them around for a long time.

I even joined as slide member recently so I don't forget and have any lapses.

20-Jul-15
Pav, My bad on the "Opened thread" Curiosity. Thanks for correcting me Idyllwild.

20-Jul-15
Excellent topic for July and can't believe it's never been discussed before!

20-Jul-15
"Excellent topic for July and can't believe it's never been discussed before! "

LOL - Go swim in the bay Charlie! Wish I was up by you striper fishing right now...

20-Jul-15
!!!Lou i have nothing but respect for you and your bowhunting skills ,I consider myself lucky to talk with you at times . Thanks for all the help thru the years .

Ike the record keeping was started why !!! lou dont help him lol

Ps trivia the first whitetail in the PY book is from NY Westchester county i think 150 or so i forget the date .

20-Jul-15
Jack, is swim in the bay Ct. Speak for jump in the lake Charlie?

All this talk makes me realize I have 4-5 racks I still need to get scored. I have been within an inch on every DIY score vs official but I have an elk that I come up with 343 and a BC scorer has at 350 and change.

You passing through Ohio Charlie? 3 hots and a cot. All you need is a measurers kit??

I know a handful of guys that if they say it is x inches class they are close. Regardless of whether it is official or not. Then there are those that aren't even close. To me it is just a reference. I guess a picture helps as well.

20-Jul-15
You are all hypocrits. Can't use the B&C scoring method to describe a harvested buck, but nobody mentioned not using it to guess scores of trail cam photo deer.

20-Jul-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
City: My father shot this deer in Westchester County, NY in 1957. Guess the score? Ha!

People came from miles around to see this deer in 1957. There were very few deer killed those days with archery equipment.

We sure have many wonderful opportunities today and many of these opportunities are because of the P&Y Club getting seasons approved many years ago!

Life is short! Train hard and hunt hard!

Rick M: 3 hits and a cot??? PM me your location if you're serious and I'll see if I can measure your animals!

20-Jul-15
I recently did a couple of "guess the score" threads on another forum. Used before and after photos of both bulls from different angles, field and trail cam pics along with hero shots of both. I have had them both officially scored.

Most experienced elk hunters were guessing 20-30" too high. Elk are difficult to estimate from photos anyhow.

20-Jul-15
Mad Trapper, are those the replica bucks? If so, they have all been officially scored. My good friend does all the replica work and most of the taxidermy work. Even if it wasn't one of his pieces he'd know if a buck was off by 20". If you make it back there, please PM me a photo of the mount and score.

20-Jul-15
Charlie excellent picture u are lucky to have A dad that was into archery . Thats why they started the record keeping to help prove archery hunting could be a effective tool in management .

20-Jul-15
Louis: That was his one and only archery killed buck and yes I was very fortunate to have him show me how to be a hunter.

I put this picture up on this thread to add a little perspective about the history of modern archery hunting in North America and the importance the P&Y Club played in getting seasons approved! We are now bow hunting in great times thanks to those founders and conservation efforts by trained biologists (the Morth American model). Now we should be concerned about the "next" generation! How do we do that? For me it's little things I can do locally to get people involved and Nationally it's to be a part of the P&Y Club!

20-Jul-15
I only have a few animals that will make pipe and young. I am not really a trophy hunter but I am like most in that I love big antlers and horns. For those of you oppose to someone referring to am animal as a p&y class deer, is it simply the fact that most add about 20% to the actual score or the fact that they have never had it officially scored?

I have never had any animal officially scored but I have measured quite a few of mine. I am confident that afew of my animals are p&y class but they have never been officially scored. I am also confident that I have a few wheelbarrow loads of racks that are good for knife handles. :)

20-Jul-15
Charlie,

PM sent.

Like Louis said, you and everyone else that had a father as a mentor are lucky. I came from a fishing family, nobody hunted. I learned by making mistakes, a lot of them:) I was fortunate that my parents put up with my passion.

Rick

20-Jul-15
I can remember just in the early 70's telling folks I was going bowhunting for blacktails in those N CA mountains and having them laugh at me. Kidding right?

My hunting partner and I have a phrase we use now.... we use it because so many times actually putting a tape on things doesn't add up the way you thought it would and you have to back trail your words.... so we quit guessing.... Now when asked how big you thought something was we say "Don't know, sure like to put a tape on him....." big smiles.....means a shooter for sure.

Speaking of tapes and measuring.... Did you know bear outfitter's scales all start at 300? heheheheh....

20-Jul-15
Bowfreak, for me it's not so much referring to something as "P&Y class" as claiming it to be a "P&Y" buck or bull when it can't be a Pope and Young animal unless it is officially scored and entered. Otherwise it's just an animal with antlers or horns that the owner wants to impress people with by using a designation for which it doesn't qualify.

I used to date a hot fashion model (for real). Spectacular. She was Miss Colorado. Well not really, but she "would've been" Miss Colorado if she'd entered the pageant. She was featured in Playboy magazine. Well, not really, but she "could've been".

20-Jul-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Jaquomo is this her? I thought she was miss Wyoming but Co&Wy samo samo

21-Jul-15
That gal won Miss Wyoming and Miss Montana in the same year!

21-Jul-15
I'll do you all a favor and not post a picture of CAs version of Bigdan's pic.

The Velcro gloves will still work. I'll leave it at that.

21-Jul-15
Dear Lord,

Please let the hunting season begin. Amen.

21-Jul-15
To me when someone says "I killed a buck that scored x P&Y the P&Y part just emphasizes the fact that it was killed with a bow. I also assume it means gross score, not net unless otherwise stated. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with registering the animal in the book.

21-Jul-15
The B&C scoring system has been adopted by many entities including state agencies and conservation organizations including Pope & Young. B&C measures and records all animals including hunter kills, road kills, pick-ups, poached etc. The difference between a 140" buck and a 140" P&Y buck is the P&Y buck is dead and was killed according to fair chase guidelines with club approved equipment, measured and recorded by a P&Y measurer. Same deer, different circumstances.

21-Jul-15
I am a member and supporter of P&Y.

I've still never entered an animal. I used to not enter critters because I thought it represented something I didn't want to represent.... My attitude towards it has changed now, even though I still don't enter animals. I use the scoring system as a reference for people to understand the size of an animal I'm talking about.

One day I may enter a few or all of my animals, but I just don't see much of a point for entering them currently.

And City many people join P&Y because it represents the largest group representing bowhunters and our rights nationwide. Doesn't mean if we sign up we can't have an opinion about the future of the club. I was one of the few people who actually WOULDN'T join until some of the recent changes were made because I felt P&Y was purposefully segregating groups of bowhunters.

22-Jul-15
Dan, can I pick her up in the Breaks on my way through? I promise to drop her off on the way back.

22-Jul-15
Horn porn is a horn porn is a horn porn is a horn porn.

22-Jul-15
Rick she's on loan to City right now. But he mite bring her back by the time you get to Montana.

22-Jul-15
Looks and virtue are clearly inversely proportional. :)

22-Jul-15
By the time she gets back from New York she'll be a changed ewe... May never want to leave the Big City!

22-Jul-15
There Charlie.....now isn't that better?..... LOL!

23-Jul-15
There is a great story in the Fall issue of DEER & DEER HUNTING magazine. Article is entitled "New Face of P&Y". The article (pp 10-12) elaborates that P&Y is more than jut being about record book. Jim Willems, P&Y President & fellow Bowsiter, had some very good comments in the article. Encourage everyone to get a copy and read article.

23-Jul-15
"By the time she gets back from New York she'll be a changed ewe... May never want to leave the Big City!"

Why am I seeing her do the time warp again....

23-Jul-15

Buffalo1's MOBILE embedded Photo
Buffalo1's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here she is in Times Square have the time of her life!!

24-Jul-15
How about we just say its a 140 buck and drop the P&Y Part.

24-Jul-15

24-Jul-15
Sorry,I didn't catch that....

I have NY emblazoned on the back of my eyes..... poor lil sheep....

24-Jul-15
Matt, U ok?

24-Jul-15
Life is grand, thanks. But a post showed up on the wrong thread so I deleted it and re-posted where it belonged.

24-Jul-15
Bigdan said it perfectly! Mentioning the score for reference is great but don't say P & Y unless you have an accepted Critter! Pretty simple! David

25-Jul-15
Dan im in Iowa with Trump this week :>

25-Jul-15
Got you 44 mag with you?

• Sitka Gear