Trial153 22-Jul-15
BOWNUT@WORK 22-Jul-15
Z Barebow 22-Jul-15
Darrell 22-Jul-15
NM bowman 22-Jul-15
thalltdkm 25-Jul-15
Mule Power 26-Jul-15
19-Jul-15
Looking for a big tent for 2 guys and all their gear for a base camp from the truck. Not looking to break the bank on a wall tent. But need room and need to keep two 6ft guys dry with head room. I like the look of the coleman's cabin style tents, but all the bad reviews talk about leaks.

19-Jul-15
Before I purchased a alaknak tent I used a large cheap cabin tent. I covered it with a huge tarp so it was essentially waterproof. Stake the tent, then stake the tarp and you will be good to go. Some of these tents are less than 150.00

19-Jul-15
Look for a used Cabelas Alaskan Guide 6 man. Check the classifieds here and elsewhere. Best all around base camp tent I've ever used that's not a wall tent, and I've used a lot.

19-Jul-15
Kodak 10-14 one guy can set it up easily as long as your not in solid rock and can sink all the stakes in the ground. After that it pops right up. And it is canvass. They make a 10 x 10 also but this one is too small. Mr buddy heater and your good to go. Cabelas has them still I think. Read the reviews. Mine is 8 yrs old and still waterproof. Just don't store it damp

19-Jul-15
X2 on the Alaskan Guide tents. Used one for 20 years and stayed dry. Finally gave it to my daughter and she uses it a lot.

Now I have the 12x12 XWT from Cabelas. Great tent.

19-Jul-15
Sorry I meant Kodiak. It's like the old spring bar tents. Heavy with the canvass and rubber floor. 88lbs I think.

19-Jul-15
I have an Alaskan Guide 6 man too. It's great in high winds and it keeps you warm when it's real cold out. I have the large vestibule which I don't think that they offer anymore. With the large vestibule you can set up a kitchen and have a couple of chairs to relax in while cooking dinner. I use an indoor/outdoor carpet for the vestibule floor that keeps the inner tent free of mud.

I know that they have a smaller vestibule that you can put your bows, boots and a few other things in but that one would be a bit small for my needs. Three of us spent a week in the six man with no trouble. Just remember, when they say 8 or 6 or 4 they mean the number of people that can lay on the floor next to each other.

20-Jul-15
Once in a terrible windstorm the other three tents in our group were flattened and ripped apart. The Alaskan was like the Rock of Gibraltar. We ended up sleeping 8 in it that night out of desperation.

Cabelas sold three more tents the next week.

20-Jul-15
Kifaru tipi. 8 man size

20-Jul-15
Cabela's Alaknak. Plenty of room for two guys...great tent!

20-Jul-15

LaGriz's embedded Photo
LaGriz's embedded Photo
+1 one on the Alaknak with Vestibule.

Add a wood stove like a 3-dog and you won't look back. The vestibule adds living space and gives you a place to shuck boots, rain gear, exc.

I have a friend that has a 6-man Alaskan Guide dome tent. Has served him well for 10+ years. Rock solid in the wind as reported by others. I would opt for the 8-man model as you are not going to pack this thing far. Only setting it up near the truck so why not have the extra hight and room to spread out.

Good Luck with your choice. LaGriz

20-Jul-15
+2 on Kodiak. I have a 10x14 and I love it. They also have a vestibule add on option. (Which I do not have). I also use a buddy heater in it. I set up a small food table, hang my clothes, and I would have plenty of room for a couple of cots.

I have set it up by myself in the headlights and put all of my gear into it in less than 1 hour. (And I had to carry my gear ~ 100 yards)

20-Jul-15

Tony Phillips's embedded Photo
Tony Phillips's embedded Photo
A 14x14 Pyramid tent will do the trick.

20-Jul-15
if you plan on doing this regularly- buy the canvas wall tent- you will be glad you did.

Sure there are other workable options- but the canvas wall is the best

20-Jul-15
Ebay is your friend- We picked up a nice REI 6 man dome last year for $300 after getting our cheap family tent flattened in a wind storm in RMNP last year. other option is to keep your eye out for a used wall tent. every now and then you see one for $600 or so.

21-Jul-15
Alaskan guide 8 man tent. Ive had one for several years and endured 12 days of rain in it before. never once leaked. It holds up to high winds and is extremely well made. Im 6'3 and can stand up straight in it. I would say its the next step down from a outfitter canvas wall tent in my opinion

21-Jul-15
Another alaskan guide. We use a 6 man. Takes a masters degree to set up though...lol. No wonder it does so well in the wind. Perfect for 2 people.

21-Jul-15
Lots of expensive options in here.

The Kifaru teepee is definitely the way to go if coin isn't much of a concern.

You said you don't want to break the bank and that could mean a lot of things.

Guide gear makes a teepee with a vestibule that I got on sale for like $180. It's huge inside and the vestibule is great for boots/bags.

I've spent over a month in it total now and been rained on during 3 different trips. So long as the windows are closed and the top rain cover is turned down properly, it won't leak.

The price practically makes it disposable.

Make sure, as with any tent, to air it out good when you get home.

21-Jul-15

IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
IdyllwildArcher's embedded Photo
Here's base camp in WY last year.

You can fit two double size air mattresses in it.

21-Jul-15
I love the Cabelas Outback Lodge tent. It sets up quick and easy and the 12 X 12 size works great for my buddy and me. We set up cots on each side with a table in between us at the head of the beds to put junk on. I have been in a couple nasty mountain storms and never had any issues with it. The only problem with it is they don't make a vestibule for it. I always make one with a tarp so that I can get in and out in the rain without getting water inside and for the shade.

I actually own two now because the zipper was giving me trouble on my first one (I had paid $129 for it in Cabelas bargain barn many, many years ago). I got the second one by calling to different Cabelas til I found a couple in their bargain barns. I think I paid $225 for the second one. Since buying it, I figured out how to fix the zipper but I'm not sorry I bought another. The newer version has a straight center zipper door instead of the half circle door of the original. Much simpler and better design. No stove capability in it so if you need heat, I would look at other options though we have used propane heat in ours most years. A little condensation, but not horrendous.

22-Jul-15
Ditto on the Cabelas Outback Lodge 12x12....I am with Darrell on this topic. Best thing is that unlike every other big tent, the Outback is easy for one person to set up!! The only drawback is that the zipper door gets fouled up if not done carefully...Darrell what is your discovery about the zipper?? I had the outback up in Arizona in 2009 when it rained the 1st 6 days of elk season with big winds also.....safe and dry the entire time!!

Joe

22-Jul-15
Alaskan Guide 6 Man... I have one brand new in the box for sale actually haha.

I ended up having to buy a second one for my move to Alaska as the first didn't arrive in time, so now the first one is sitting in Kentucky and I have no receipt to return the stupid thing.

As far as the tent goes though, I absolutely love this thing! Super sturdy and roomy for a 26 lb tent that is easy to setup.

22-Jul-15
I use a pop up camper - that has been lifted up about 4". It works well, but its pretty beat up from 10+ years through he mountains.....

22-Jul-15
Kifaru tipi or Seek Outside tipi

22-Jul-15

BOWNUT@WORK's embedded Photo
BOWNUT@WORK's embedded Photo
Kodiak Canvas 10 x 14. I chose this because I wanted to use a propane heater instead of wood. Less condensation with canvas. I set it up by my self in less then thirty minutes the first time. Lots of room for two cots and gear.

22-Jul-15

Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Z Barebow's embedded Photo
Here is my setup per earlier post, like BOWNUT's. I use a Big Buddy Heater with a 20 lb propane tank (outside) for heat.

22-Jul-15
Joe,

Here are some things I have learned about the zipper: First if you have the one like mine, take a knife and cut away the flap that always gets snagged in the zipper. I cut mine away the first time I used it because it always got caught.

2nd. Just use plyers and pinch the pull a little to help it offset the wear that has occurred.

3rd. if desperate, you can snag an extra zipper pull from one of the side windows as they each have two. You will still be able to open the side window but just from one direction instead of both. (I haven't done that yet but it is my plan if the zipper fails at camp this year as some friends are using it.)

22-Jul-15
We have 2 of the Alaknak tents the 12x20 and 12x12 They work really well and are easier to manage than canvas especially if weight is an issue.

25-Jul-15
Mule Freak,

I don't know where you live but I'm in OH. I'm not going West this season. I have a 10 x 14 wall tent and frame you can use. That will save you some money and give you an idea what you like. PM me.

26-Jul-15
Steveo has a good point. Just buy any 6 man tent that you like and suits your budget. Go look on Campmor.com and search by price and size.

Then do a good job stringing up a plastic tarp. Fully waterproof and unlike any other setup it makes shade for your tent so it's cooler inside on warmer days.

• Sitka Gear