ilandhunter 24-Jul-15
JohnB 24-Jul-15
WV Mountaineer 24-Jul-15
BackStraps 24-Jul-15
Start My Hunt 25-Jul-15
BULELK1 25-Jul-15
writer 25-Jul-15
22-Jul-15
My Dad has Alzheimer's disease and will not be going hunting with us for the first time in nearly 35 years. We will be checking him into a full time home tomorrow. I cannot begin to tell you how much he has taught me over the years, and he will be missed around the fires at night.

My point for posting this is that each of you should live life and experience as well as share your great hunting experiences. My Dad loved hunting and the experiences we had in the hills will probably be the last things he remembers.

Mike

22-Jul-15
You did good man!

22-Jul-15
It's been several years since my dad could hunt, i still remember the last spot we pushed for pheasants, i tear up a little whenever i pass it! Remember the good stuff when times are tough!

22-Jul-15
Been there, done that! My ah ha moment was when he could no longer thread the line through his fishing pole or tie on a hook! It's called the "long goodbye"!

You are doing the right thing by getting him in that care facility especially if your mom is alive. It's hardest on the spouse! Thanks for sharing but don't worry he'll be there in spirit much stronger! C

22-Jul-15
Funny I should see this today. Just last night I was watching Mossy Oak "Hunting the Country". Cuz Strickland was hunting Wisonsin and had some very nice things to say about family and friends and the culture of hunting. I sat there and started thinking about how bad I miss my Dad. He passed 21 years ago and hunting has never been the same for me. No one gets excited like he did when I was successful. My wife and Mom try but its not the same. He had unbridled joy for me and me for him when things went well and if they didn't we still had a great time together. Nobody shared the passion like him and I did. I made a lot of excuses when I was younger to friends that wanted me to go with them but I knew then that my time with my Dad was precious and I had to get every minute with him because there would never be enough. Despite health issues, he hunted almost to the end but my biggest regret was that his last deer season the Docs told him he shouldn't go. He told me to go and he would be better for next year. I went alone. It was doe season and I shot a doe early and while dragging it out watched 42 deer walk by his tree. Four months later he was gone and I so wish I had taken him on that last hunt. To young to go at 67. The first year he was gone, we shot three buck from his tree on the first day. My older brother first, my nephew (first grandchild)second, and me third. I think he was there. After I shot, I looked down and between my feet was a tarnished 30/06 casing. One of his. I have it still and wear it on every hunt. SMH, I'm sorry for your troubles but take solace in the fact that you had him with you for so long. Many never get the chance. I'm glad I did but still miss him every day.

22-Jul-15
This thread hits home with me. My Dad suffered a stroke about 8 yrs ago and it effectively ended his hunting. Even though he tried to hunt a few times afterwards it just wasn't the same for him. I let him know that all he had to do was say the word that he wanted to hunt and I would make it happen. Ultimately, it was his decision to hang it up. Though I miss hunting with him I am fine with his decision. We truly learned to hunt deer together and those memories will last forever. One thing we did was we kept a daily journal of our hunts. He has those and can go back and relive those hunts. I send him "field notes" on my hunts and he enjoys reading those and hearing my stories.

Mike, sorry to hear about this. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease. However, I believe those hunting memories will stay with him because memories as strong as those will never go away. His spirit will endure. God Bless you, your Father and your family.

Rob

22-Jul-15
Hits home here as well. My dad had advanced Parkinson's disease. He drew a bull tag last year and we just couldn't get him in a position to have a good chance. He can't draw his bow this year, but we are going to try a crossbow that can be cranked back. He drew a November tag and we are hoping the rains hold off so I can sit him in a blind on a tank. That's probably our only option short of having a real stupid bull stand in the side of the road looking at us (he can shoot from a vehicle with his license). I know this will probably be the last hoorah. I'm not sure if it's hardest on him or on me!

22-Jul-15
I'm glad for you guys that had these experiences with your Dads. Mine died when I was twenty. We hunted squirrels a few times when I was small, but he only killed to eat, so he really wasn't a hunter. Don't know where I got the hunting gene, but I'm glad I did.

22-Jul-15
I'm sorry to hear about that, my dad got me started small game hunting but he wasn't a deer hunter but when I wanted to start deer hunting he tried to get into it and got me everything I needed, sadly I lost him a little over a year later to cancer when I was 14, it's amazing how much our dads do for us, I only hope I do as much for my little girl

22-Jul-15
Remember the good times with your dad. You are fortunate to have those memories. I lost my father last November at 78. He was not a hunter but we did get out some when I was young and did a fair amount of fishing together.

This season may be different for you but dad will always be there in spirit.

22-Jul-15
Sorry about your dad that's not fun to watch. You will always have your fond memories to keep of your hunts together. Be thankfull for having a great mentor.

22-Jul-15
Mike, applies to me as well. My father went too quickly but I still have all the memories of what he taught me.

Sometime I'll tell you the story of the war hero I was guiding who was on his first ever elk hunt with his adult son. His last words were to me as he died in my arms on the mountain, about how he'd finally gotten to hunt elk with his son.

Cherish the memories and dedicate the season to him. Hunt honorably.

22-Jul-15
Also funny that I should see this today because it's my dad's birthday; he would have been 81 today. He passed away a year ago last November on opening morning of Wisconsin's gun deer season. I got the message while I was sitting in my treestand.

I wish I had a great story and great memories of all the hunts my dad and I shared together but my dad wasn't much of a hunter. We hunted ducks and grouse a little together but he never had the passion for deer hunting. I remember as a 16 year old kid taking my dad out deer hunting during gun season and putting him on a stand, kind of a role reversal I guess. He saw deer but chose not to shoot.

I have good friends who have great relationships with their dads and who hunted and did a lot of other things with them. I envy that. It's something I missed out on and I wish I would have had it...

Those of you who have or had great relationships with your dads and were able to share hunts with them and make great memories should appreciate it and not take it for granted. There are no do-overs...

Mike, take pleasure in your memories...

22-Jul-15
Your memories are how they live on in you. My dad died 4 1/2 years ago. He was my best friend and hunting partner- always ready to go. I have good hunting partners but none even close to what my dad was.

Thoughts are with you.

22-Jul-15
My story is similar to drycreek's, lost my dad in my mid-20's and he never really hunted. He was a competitive pistol shooter and a great one at that. He often came with us as our chef in camp, so he was around while my brother and I hunted. Wish he was still here to see my wife and kids, but no regrets for the relatively short time we had together. My memories are strong of all the good times in camp and fishing together.

22-Jul-15
To all above and those that will follow, I appreciate the support. This will definitely be a different hunting season without Pops showing me what to look for and how I should approach each situation.

Not bragging, but he has taken 30 elk in his lifetime by his recollection, but I count 33.. Master hunter in my book.

I have been fortunate to have a Dad like him who has taught me both ethics about hunting and life as well as the fundamental basics of just finding the critters.

Mike

22-Jul-15
Sorry to hear about your Dad. That is a very tough thing to face.

22-Jul-15
Sorry to hear it. My Dad gave up hunting about 10 years ago and gave me all his firearms about 5 years ago. The last hunt we went on is when I drew a ML elk tag and he tagged along to stay in camp. I killed a bull opening morning so it was bitter sweet. He has COPD and can't do the mountains anymore as he has to be on O2 all the time. It is hard to go without him but I still get to tell him about the hunts. The good thing for me now is my daughters are old enough to hunt and I take them. I just hope I can be half the man my father was.

23-Jul-15
Sorry to all that are, or have, gone through it. I feel your pain, my Dad and hunting mentor/partner/buddy died from a heart attack when he was 48 years old, I was 22. I still get emotional every year during hunting season......and he's been gone for 20 years now.

23-Jul-15
WOW- this thread really puts things into perspective. Kinda makes all the broadhead, Governor tag, and gun vs bow debates seem kinda silly now! ;-) THIS stuff is what REALLY matters!

Michael- take him on every hunt that you go on from now until you last.

My father was a great outdoorsman(or so I am told). He passed when I was just a toddler. I never grew up hunting but took it up when I got married(wife's family were hunters). I think of him every time I harvest an animal and often feel he is up there watching me and smiling! :)

23-Jul-15
They can't take our memories....

I also lost my dad and mentor to that dreadful disease...a brilliant man, terrific dad, loving husband, and my hunting partner and teacher. A true member of The Greatest Generation.

Even when dad was forced to give up hunting, he revelled in my successes...and later, those of his grandson.

Take solace of the time you had...take nothing for granted...LIVE, don't just "be alive".

23-Jul-15
I lost my dad on Oct15 2014 to kidney failure. I have so many stories about hunting and fishing with him I wouldn't know where to begin. But there are so many things that we never got to do together. I think I'm gonna go pour a Scotch and reminisce, thanks for the thread

23-Jul-15
The hardest part, was not being able to call my Dad an tell him that I shot a nice buck. My Dad passed in 2010. It still hurts to this day.

23-Jul-15
After reading more, I had to say this. On April 28, I had emergency surgery in Pittsburgh,Pa. After surgery, the Docs asked my wife how in the hell he is alive? They told her that I should have been in cardiac or resp. arrest months ago. When the Docs told me the next day, I laughed an said that I was too mean to die. The next few days, I had time to think. I thought about my son. He is 19, an I thought about how he would feel about hunting without me. Have worked for over 21 years in the ICU's. Seen it all. I don't scare to easy, but this scared the hell out of me.

23-Jul-15
Sorry to hear this. Life is short. Embrace it and enjoy it to the fullest.

My mom and dad both died way too young. There isn't always tomorrow to do the things you want to do. May you cherish your remaining time with him.

God bless.

23-Jul-15
We say prayers for you Mike, your dad and the family. That disease is so very tough on all involved. Courage patience and understanding please come to you so you may stand strong for the family.

24-Jul-15
My best wishes to you and your Dad

24-Jul-15
My dad was never a hunter or fisherman but lucky for me a world war II vet friend of his turned him on to quail hunting (back when we had quail), and we got too spend 2 yrs hunting with dad before the cancer took him from us at 45 yrs young. Those memories are still there 36 yrs. later...prayers be with you and your family. JohnB

24-Jul-15
My dad is 65 years old and introduced me to hunting. We've spent a lot of time sharing camps, drag ropes, etc... I cherish it all. Due to circumstances involving his much younger wife and her "friend", he faces the very real possibility of freedom lost and hunting rights gone for the rest of his life. He has no health issues as physical labor has kept him strong and evidently, more than one 34 year old men can hope to square off with and hold his own.

We will know how the chips will fall middle of next month. We are wishing and praying for the best. However, facing the possibility that he may spend a while in a place he doesn't deserve and lose what was such a major part of his/our life has brought somber tones to our outlook of our special times together.

I hate to hear the lose you men have faced and, the lack of relationship others have been apart of. All I can say is what others have and reinforce the fact that life is short and things can change quickly. Enjoy it while you can. God Bless

24-Jul-15
I can't imagine a season without Dad. Cherish the memories. I feel for you.

25-Jul-15
There are truly a great group of people on this site, and for that I commend you all. But I must say my heart goes out to all above who lost a loved one to young. At least I got to spend time in the the forest with my Dad. I will always cherish those moments. All I can say, is that he will be with me on every hunt and he will still be guiding throughout my life.

I wish all the best,

Mike

25-Jul-15
Same boat as me---

Mine turned 85 in April.

He still does some tractor work on his place and still rides his horse but he just doesn't have the desire to hunt anymore.

If I am hunting close to home and get a harvest he sure likes to come up on the mountain with his horse and pack horse and get my harvest off the mountain...

Good luck, Robb

25-Jul-15
My parents are long gone, and I got Dad out on a great mule deer hunt before he died. But from the time we're old enough to know about life, we realize we'll someday bury our parents.

A good buddy is going into this second season without being able to hunt with his son/best friend, who died in his upper 20s.

I don't know how he keeps going, after such a loss.

• Sitka Gear