njbuck 30-Jul-15
bowcrazyJRHCO 30-Jul-15
Jaquomo 30-Jul-15
bowcrazyJRHCO 31-Jul-15
Medicinemann 01-Aug-15
Iowabowhunter 06-Aug-15
Vernon Edeler 06-Aug-15
23-Jul-15
I just purchased a mule deer doe Heads Up decoy - can't wait for the fall. Has anyone actually got a shot at a mule deer using a decoy (from the ground, not from a tree stand)? Any helpful hints are appreciated. Especially stalking tips.

23-Jul-15
bowcrazy,

Thanks for the order...I don't know anyone that has shot a mule deer from a treestand with my decoy. I would say that it's 100% at eye level. Tons of success out on the plains of Kansas and eastern Colorado. Give it a good run and you'll have some action.

Thanks again and good luck

GR, Heads Up Decoy

23-Jul-15
Thanks GR, I purchased from my local pro shop. I am excited to see it put the odds more in my favor while stalking. Hoping to get tips from the bowsiters, so I can eliminate rookie mistakes.

23-Jul-15
Jerry, After you told me about them, i had to start doing some research... this is about the only thing i found on youtube anyways......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfwdqUv33yM

GRoe.. can you please PM me with pricing on the mule deer doe decoy? Thanks!

23-Jul-15

Matt Palmquist's embedded Photo
I have had some success with the decoy. My brother and I killed two bucks within about 30 minutes from the same field. A few days later I went to Colorado and killed another good buck.

My best luck with the decoy has been with lone bucks that are cruising in search of does during the rut. Try to get in their path even if that means moving. When they see the decoy get ready. The buck I killed with my brother basically ignored us as we went at him in a crouched walk. We were within range when he acknowledged us and then he turned and came right to us. Shot him at 15 yards in a stubble field.

I have used the decoy with a buddy holding it, in the bow mount, and with a clamp.

The key to these decoys is to try things you typically wouldn't expect to work. Be aggressive. If you have other questions I will try to help.

Matt

23-Jul-15

Colorado Plains buck

23-Jul-15
OK, Matt, but as the decoy ever worked on a big mule deer buck? :-)

Wow...

23-Jul-15
I know there are a few really cool semi-live hunts from Jaquomo on here where he uses decoys and I think his own hat design maybe...

23-Jul-15
Not for me, either.

I use the Heads Up, the infamous deer hat, the Elk Mountain Slip system muley doe, and also static decoying with a pair of Montana decoys, sometimes all at the same time with the Heads Up to give some live motion. Have decoyed I many bucks with decoys, especially combined with calling.

I love decoying!

23-Jul-15
Matt- that's a solid testimonial and good advice. I'm hoping the decoy can get me within the killing range, but if they decide to charge to within 15 yards, that's OK as well - maybe I'll carry spear! Thanks for your input.

23-Jul-15
+1 Writer

I would probably say to focus on rut and you will have much better odds.

23-Jul-15

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Not sure where my photo went, but I'll try again.

I had a feature in Bowhunter last fall about this very topic.

23-Jul-15

tadpole's embedded Photo
tadpole's embedded Photo
I'm still working my way up to Matt's caliber deer. ..Used my own version of the deer hat to get this one...final shot at 10 yards.

23-Jul-15

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo

elkmtngear's Link
The SLIP Muley Doe Decoy Lou referred to above.

I consulted with Lou on the design, and the Image was provided to me graciously by...yes, you guessed it...BB (Bill Allard).

It's our newest and most photo realistic decoy to date.

Best of Luck, Jeff

23-Jul-15

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
I use a lot of tools related to decoying.

Ishi had his own version of a deer hat, similar to tadpole's with a real doe cape, and also had the first "Heads Up" decoy with a stuffed doe head on a stick. He taught Saxton Pope about the importance of the Heads Up to give life to the illusion and bring deer in. That gave me and my wife the idea to make our own deer and elk hats about 15 years ago.

23-Jul-15
In the area I typically hunt, our muley numbers are way down so I have been spending most of my time with whitetails using the buck decoy.

Matt is correct, cursing bucks looking for a doe are when you get the really close encounters.

The buck I shot in the milo field in 2009 would not come in because his doe would cut him off. I ended up walking at him and shot him at 30 yards.

23-Jul-15
Where can I find the hats for sale??

23-Jul-15
Great insight, can someone clarify for me:

1. Are you saying I should NOT use the decoy outside of the rut? Will I expect deer to run away during the non-rut? 2. Thanks for tip on walking in a zip-zag meandering fashion when approaching deer in open, any other insightful tips???

23-Jul-15
Cool video, Garrett!

I've never decoyed except within a couple weeks either side of the rut. One thing to watch when actively decoying is that sometimes the does run in first, which can pin you down and screw you up.

Ned, pm me with your email addy and I'll send instructions on how to make one simply and easily with craft foam, hot glue, an old ballcap and some paint. There is a company that sells them but they're hard plastic. Mine is soft foam, customizable to your head size when wearing a balaclava or stocking cap under it, and indestructible.

I wear a gray fleece balaclava for deer, brown head mask under the (brown) elk hat.

23-Jul-15
Great bucks Lou and Tadpole!!

You can use a decoy anytime, but it has worked best for me when hunting lone cruising bucks.

A few years ago towards the end of October we watched a couple bucks bed down in a grass draw. We were closing when the bucks repositioned where the draw met the crop field. We were pretty exposed at 150 yards so we decided to show the decoy. The smaller buck could see us and just stared at us for probably 15 minutes. We didn't have much to lose so I held the decoy and we started crawling down the edge of the grass in plain sight of the smaller buck. He stayed bedded the entire way. I think he had accepted we were another deer, but they weren't rutting yet so he stayed put. We got to 40 yards when the buck we were after stood and saw us. In hindsight I think he would have come closer to us, but when he cleared the weeds my buddy took the shot. It was a clean miss, and I think we underestimated the size of the buck:(

Point is, we didn't have a play but decided to get aggressive and it nearly paid off. I have heard of a guy using decoys in the high country while the deer are in velvet with success so they can work anytime. With that said, I think the rut is when they will work the best.

Good luck!!

Matt

24-Jul-15
Thanks for all the insight. Those hats really look goofy -can't believe they work, LOL!!

24-Jul-15
That's exactly what my former hunting partner said when I showed up at deer camp with my deer hat. He laughed and laughed, said it was the stupidest thing he'd ever seen, ahhh hahaha!

An hour later he watched as I deked three 150+ bucks into recurve range from 250 yards away.

The next weekend he had one too. Ridiculously effective, on elk too (the elk hat).

26-Jul-15
I've also had success using full size decoys while hunting from tripods. It's a lot of trouble, but does work.

26-Jul-15
Yes. This past year during the rut. Worked great. Heads up decoy and a can call. Hunt

28-Jul-15
After reading this thread I just bought a Heads Up muley doe and will try it on the AZ Strip 13B in a few weeks. Wish me luck !

28-Jul-15
I tried once but when I threw it at the buck, it took air like a mattress out of the bed of a 75 mph truck. Don't recommend it.

29-Jul-15
Not thinking of using it to lure a buck in, but if I get busted during a stalk I can pop the head up and perhaps the buck will relax. Most mulies don't bust out immediately when something catches their eye, but they will stare it down first, and if a doe pops up her head maybe it will settle him down.

29-Jul-15
lou im glad u posted the pic with the zipper closed! some dandy deer congrats guys

29-Jul-15

Mt. man's embedded Photo
Mt. man's embedded Photo
This buck taken by a friend of mine while with me in a ground blind walked right up with my Montana Decoy mule deer doe decoy out.

29-Jul-15
I have never killed a mule deer with a decoy, but have with a bow/arrow and rifle.

29-Jul-15
"Have you killed a Mule deer with decoy?"

Wouldn't a bow be easier?

29-Jul-15
"Have you killed a Mule deer with decoy? Wouldn't a bow be easier?"

Yeah, but where is the sport in that?

29-Jul-15
Louis, I'm getting better with the zipper thing in my Hero Shots! ;-)

But after killing a 218" NT muley with a longbow at 12 yards on the prairie, I'm lucky there wasn't a big wet spot there in that other photo you're referencing... !

30-Jul-15
Guys, its clear that the decoys work. I will be chasing giants mulies this November on the Eastern Plains. That said, I have a hat which I plan on using. As far as technique though, what exactly are you guys doing. For example, you glass up a buck out in a field hundreds of yards away, the buck is either alone or with does. What is your next move? Do you try to close the distance without the deer seeing you or do you try to get down wind of the buck then break out the decoy and let the deer see it and try to draw it in?

30-Jul-15
njbuck - good question and one of the purposes of my post. I have seen deer on the prairie, but get stuck at about 120 yards. Then they walk into the forested buttes and bed down. I place myself for the evening hunt, but the deer move by me on the prairie at 90+ yards. I am hoping the decoy will bring them closer when I show it, or allow me to sneak yucca to yucca for the shot.

30-Jul-15

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
You have to be careful when using the hat or the Heads-up. I always have an escape route planned, because sometimes the does will come running over before the buck gets there, and you're pinned down.

In my last live hunt on here, I made a rookie mistake and let the does see me peeking up over a dry ditch. They ran over and I was pinned down under an undercut bank for most of a morning. Took a nap, woke up, and they were still close by looking for me.

You can get their attention with movement, but I also sometimes use a little bite call. The important thing if you are doing any sort of solo active, dynamic decoying, is to have a plan so you can get downwind and off to the side whenever the buck or does start to come. Because they will. Sometimes very fast. Sometimes from behind when you're watching a buck in front, and you'll hear a foot stomp or a buck "buzz", turn around, and have one standing a few yards behind you.

31-Jul-15
Jaquomo -Now that is very useful advice. Exciting to know they come to investigate. Thanks!

01-Aug-15
Just received a heads up antelope decoy today. I tried to call them, just in case they manned the phones on a Saturday, but not only was no one answering the phone, but their phone number is not set-up for voice mail, either.

While have to wait until Monday to discuss some questions with them.....If anyone that owns a Heads up decoy has some free time this weekend, I would appreciate a PM.....then I can give you my phone number, as I would like to talk.

06-Aug-15
Anybody else? Thinking of buying the Heads Up mule deer doe decoy, would this be better served to use in the rut or would high country early season work as well?

06-Aug-15

Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
Vernon Edeler's embedded Photo
I'm trying a new version that mounts to the bow and you shoot through it. The plan is to try it this September on fuzzy horned bucks.

• Sitka Gear