IdyllwildArcher 26-Jul-15
Brotsky 26-Jul-15
TD 26-Jul-15
deerman406 27-Jul-15
R. Hale 27-Jul-15
Russ Koon 27-Jul-15
Don 27-Jul-15
24-Jul-15
I bought a new Elite 35 this year. Shoots great, but I have had to change the altitude on my sight several times. I've shot some 4" groups at 60 yards. It seems to shoot spot on for a while, then I'll come out & everything is 3" low, or high. I'll move the bracket, & be spot on for a while, then I'll come out and and everything will be off again. I've marked everything I can think of on the bow. It has the factory string. Could this be a stretch issue? If so, could the string stretch then retract if not shot for 2-3 days?

24-Jul-15
My guess is it is a shooter issue. No offense, it happens...

--Jim

24-Jul-15
It is probably something along the lines of a difference in lighting which is changing how you are sighting, a change in hand position, or something subtle along those lines. Stretch (temporary elongation) happens ever shot and is not noticeable whereas creep (permanent elongation) usually happens over time and does not reverse itself. You can exclude that from the equation.

25-Jul-15
I think it's the shooter as well. Something different in your mechanics is my guess.

25-Jul-15
Next time this happens take it in to 20 yards and see how it goes!

25-Jul-15
I don't disagree but I cant't figure out what I'm doing differently. Would have to be my anchor point or bow hand. I'll keep experimenting.

25-Jul-15
Could be grip. Are you using a peep? Make sure you are aligning the sight in the mkde of the peep. I had similar issues. I was right on the edge of too weak and went to a heavier, stiffer arrow. It made a HUGE difference. My setup that was so finicky for grip and torque is much more forgiving.

25-Jul-15
Make sure your nocking point also is not migrating.

Three things will effect your shooting more than anything, after the bow is set up properly.

1. Proper Grip

2 consistent Anchor point

3. smooth release and follow through.

Change any of these, one, two or all three, and shot consistency decreases.

You will figure it out. Paul

25-Jul-15
I suspect you have a large hole peep and your centering is not repeating. A mechanical issue won't cause the issue you have where it's low and high.

26-Jul-15
If you have marked everything and all screws are tight then it almost has to be your alignment. If you ever watched what happens when you release an arrow in slow motion you a lot of stuff flexes around. Check everything mechanical one more time then look at your form.

26-Jul-15
Grip pressure will cause this. I was having the same problem and figured out that adding heel pressure would cause my groups to move up as much as 6".

26-Jul-15
Possibly the cat whiskers are moving. 1/2" farther from the cams will noticeably slow the arrow.

-Joe

26-Jul-15
I used to teach kids archery. They had problems with their bows. I explained to them

"You have a precision manufactured and finely tuned machine, which is controlled by a human being. Do you think the problem is the bow or you?"

Odds are the problem is you.

26-Jul-15
It's peep creep.

Take a very fine tipped sharpy and mark your string top/bottom on both sides.

If it creeps that easily, it'll continue to be a problem.

You need one of the servings to be tied a little closer to center and then site in again.

Edit: are you using tubing attached to your peep? If the tubing is too short, it'll drag the peep up and your shots will migrate up. If your peep is loose, it'll eventually ease back down by the lateral tamponade pressure that is applied by the peep to the strings on each side of the peep and your shot will go down.

You can chase your shots high and low forever, moving your forward site up and down to compensate.

Peep needs to be held tighter.

Also, a tubeless peep is superior. Consider changing.

26-Jul-15
+1 for Ike and Spike Bull, sounds like a creeping peep to me. The vertical variation is the key indicator in a creeping peep. Ike gave the perfect solution, check it out and eliminate the simple stuff.

26-Jul-15
Sure could be.... I've been called a creeping peep before..... er, never mind....

27-Jul-15
I believe it could be a peep issue. If you have a very large peep site your eye may not be centering the pin the same way everytime. Shawn

27-Jul-15
Could be string stretching causing peep to move. Doubt it.

The exact thing happened to me last year and my D loop was slipping as it was not properly served in. POI would climb. I would guess that is the problem.

Some guys always want to blame the shooter. Doubt it.

27-Jul-15
OTOH, I suspect the shooter since the mechanical malfunctions mentioned would tend to cause variation in one direction only.

I would suggest concentrating on your follow-through.

I know my bow arm has a tendency to drop slightly quicker if I am tired, or the day is hot and humid. This can happen quite consistently and give the impression that the sight has changed, when it is actually a form flaw that is happening that day and may or may not happen on the next session. I'm sure I have made a few sight adjustments before checking follow-through in past years, and it still sneaks in occasionally. When I shot big 3D shoots and was shooting my personal best, I had to be especially aware of low shots creeping in after about twenty targets in a day. I still felt fine and didn't feel fatigued, but the bow arm would begin to drop just that fraction of a second quicker that would affect the impact point slightly.

Grip pressure can also do the same thing, but is usually more easily noticed since it tends to "re-set" after each round of arrows when the bow is out of your hands for a minute or two.

Any time we change anything in our equipment or routine, the odds of a problem sneaking in with the change is increased. Our familiar "feel" that subconsciously checks the details is dealing with a different grip, or a different draw cycle, or whatever, and we may not notice a slight variation in our shot routine quite as quickly.

27-Jul-15
Went back out the yesterday, and pins were spot on. I think I've narrowed it down to the shooter:-) I actually served my peep in & put a nock above and below it. If the strings not stretching & the loop isn't moving, it must be me. I've moved my anchor up & down to try & change pins. Couldn't see any difference. I'm leaning toward grip.

• Sitka Gear