bow_dude 01-Aug-15
shedhead 01-Aug-15
BULELK1 02-Aug-15
shedhead 02-Aug-15
shedhead 02-Aug-15
ghost stalker 05-Aug-15
Cheesehead Mike 05-Aug-15
25-Jul-15
The family and myself are traveling from Wisconsin on a 3 week trip out west and are going to be starting from grand jct on Monday morning and taking the 128 rd to moab to go through arches. When were done we are going to head down to Bryce and Zion. Over the years I have seen the threads on the uppermountain summer fishing/ camping trips and was looking for an area closer to Bryce that we could tent camp for a night. The kids like to trout fish and any other advice on sights would be awesome!! We are heading to St. George and then to Yosemite afterwards.

Thanks for any help in advance!!!!

25-Jul-15
I would do Moab Capital reef then go down highway 12 to Bryce then over to Zion

25-Jul-15
Bigdan we will be over in kalispell in a couple weeks looking to raft the flathead. Is it still dry thier?

25-Jul-15
That's what I here. I'm over at my place in Landusky if your driving east from Kalispell I'm here if you want a place to spend the night. My wife and I did the trip on highway 12 in Utah. Coming back from P&Y in Arizona In my younger days if I had ever did that trip I may have ended up in Utah and not Montana. cool area

26-Jul-15
Pine lake is about 25 minutes from Bryce. Good fishing, great views, lot's of wildlife. Easy to find.

26-Jul-15
+ 1 on Pine Lake

Travel safe and enjoy your trip.

Good luck, Robb

26-Jul-15
Big fire in Glacier right now.

26-Jul-15
Did that same trip in May early June from Vegas, St George, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef then Arches. Enjoyed the hike to Angels Landing in Zion ( go as early as possible to avoid crowds). If weather permits you can do the Narrows in Zion. The hike up to Delicate Arch in ANP is well worth the time. Sorry can't help with campsites around Bryce.

27-Jul-15

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Don't know much about the trout fishing but I did southern Utah a few years ago. We loved the scenic pullout off highway 12 that loops around from Escalante to Boulder(Hells Backbone Road). A few miles northwest of Boulder we saw a bull that in early May had to turn his head to get through the trees. He was well on his way to being a special bull. I'll attach a few pictures of that drive.

27-Jul-15

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
We started to hike into calf creek falls until my daughter(4) fell onto a patch of prickly pair cactus. We didn't see the falls but spent the next several hours pulling quills out. I think she is tougher than I am.

27-Jul-15

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo

27-Jul-15

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo

LINK's Link
Turn south at Cannonville and go past Kodachrome basin to get to Escalante.

27-Jul-15

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
My daughter the evening after getting almost all the quills out. It took the last quill 6 months to work its way out of her leg.

27-Jul-15

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
We didn't make it to Zion and we thought Bryce was overrated. Pine lake was cool and I watched a guy from a tube catch a few rainbows.

27-Jul-15
I would never do Bryce again. 18 mile waist of time.

28-Jul-15
We made it to fishlake and ran out of daylight. Damn nice elk country. Nice campsite and the kids got to fish. We did Bryce today and hiked down below sunrise point which was nice. The Sinclair station going into the park had some awesome mulies in it. One nt that was big as beer cans at the base. Drove down to Zion and hwy 9 from the north is awesome. Took the shuttle to emerald pools. In St George tonight and on to mammoth lakes tomorrow and Yosemite Thur and Fri. Then to San Fran Cisco. Trying to get our kids hooked on the west so we have a reason to visit more some day!

01-Aug-15
Bryce has some nice hikes. You drop down inside the canyon. I suppose it all depends on ones point of view. Just outside of Bryce is the Paunsaugunt which is a premium hunting area. It has some nice scenery, great deer and elk and places to camp. If you have ATV's or UTV availability, there is some great riding also.

01-Aug-15
Thanks for the help guys. Just left from 2 days at Yosemite heading to Frisco. Yosemite was incredible except for all the tree huggers but that's where they hang I guess!!!!

02-Aug-15
Glad you are having an enjoyable trip.

You certainly are covering some country!

Stay safe

Good luck, Robb

02-Aug-15
Tomorrow heading to my aunts vineyard for the night. Then to crater lake Oregon. The kids want to stop in Eugene and I'll probably stop at endicots bowshop in Springfield. Then Seattle for a couple nights. Well regroup from thier. Probably only have a week to get home but will probably stop in kalispell to visit family. We been on the the rd for 16 days! The kids are getting a real education. Just turned 4k on the trip odometer!!!

02-Aug-15
Thinking about running up the 101 rd part of the way to Seattle maybe out of Eugene. Is it worth the extra time? The kids really like the ocean stuff and this seems to b ideal. Thanks!!!!

05-Aug-15
I live in Medford which is about 70 miles from Crater Lake. Crater Lake is awesome. Just to let you know we have two really big wildfires going on right now and its very smoky here and will probably be up at Crater Lake too. I would head to the coast after crater lake. You could take the kids up to Newport, Pacific City or Seaside. Seaside is right before you hit the Oregon Washington border.

05-Aug-15
Wow, small world! My girlfriend and I are flying out to CO next week to visit her dad who lives in Grand Junction. We also plan to do some fishing and go to Moab and the Arches.

• Sitka Gear