SteveB 26-Jul-15
Stekewood 26-Jul-15
Stekewood 26-Jul-15
nutritionist 26-Jul-15
GhostBird 26-Jul-15
Keadog 27-Jul-15
SteveB 27-Jul-15
26-Jul-15
Anyone have experience with this? Seems like it may be good, but I haven't heard of it. And are they hard to grow/maintain?

26-Jul-15
I have grown sunflowers exclusively for a deer plot. Easy to plant and no maintenance required. I simply broadcasted a 50 lb bag of black oil sunflower seed bought from Lenard's.

Deer love sunflowers but the problem is so does everything else. Deer went nuts for the emerging shoots. Once mature thousands of birds came in and wiped out the seeds. By the time deer season opened all that was left were dead stalks. Unless you plan on planting several acres I wouldn't bother.

I have thought about a late planting in August though as deer went nuts over the new shoots.

26-Jul-15
YEa, they are best to use as a cover for deer to feel safe in the food plot, if there is tall weeds or oats around they plot they are more likely to venture out during day light. I have a weed that grows 5-10' tall, very common around me, my deer would come out at any time of day and feel safe , till I mowed them down. About 3yrs ago I found some going to seed and recovered them spread them that winter, and bingo , the deer feel relaxed enough to venture out in the light. I have to get some more as I may have cut them down to early last yr and they are to thin this yr. The weed germinates mid summer here about june 15-30, its a legume of some type resembling a mimosa . so if used as a security blanket yes.

26-Jul-15

bnt40's embedded Photo
bnt40's embedded Photo
The deer did feel comfortable in the tall stalks like rman stated.

26-Jul-15

bnt40's embedded Photo
bnt40's embedded Photo
Sunflowers and sorghum,

26-Jul-15
sunflowers sure sign of summer!

26-Jul-15

bnt40's embedded Photo
bnt40's embedded Photo
They do create a nice edge that deer like to follow.

26-Jul-15
Thanks everyone. I have about 4 acres to plot in one field. It is tucked in already so comfort isn't an issue. I was concerned about the birds getting all the seeds.... Sounds like a valid concern. But an August planting for the shoots might not be a bad idea. I did peas in August a few years ago and had good success.

26-Jul-15
I grow sunflowers as a commercial cut flower crop in an area that is loaded with deer. Without a fence, they will eat them to the ground long before they'll flower. The late August planting would undoubtedly be an attractant but there are likely better choices that would provide more forage over a longer period.

26-Jul-15

Stekewood's MOBILE embedded Photo
Stekewood's MOBILE embedded Photo

26-Jul-15
Sunflowers in places can be like soybeans, in that the deer in some areas will pound them when in the early vegetation stage. They work wonderful in buck and bird cover mixes as the people above stated.

26-Jul-15
Steve,

We plant a lot of sunflowers, mainly for dove fields. The deer will devour the young sprouts unless you have enough acreage. Makes a good mix with climbing beans.

27-Jul-15
I planted an acre in black oil seeds ($23). Nothing left but stalks. Didn't get a single plant to live long enough to flower. They must be very tasty.

27-Jul-15
Thanks Everyone! I may just give this a try......the price sure is right. The goal isn't mature plants I guess, but rather something that the deer cant resist.

Stekewood: Beautiful Planting!

• Sitka Gear