Bauda180 27-Jul-15
Bauda180 27-Jul-15
drycreek 27-Jul-15
Bauda180 27-Jul-15
r-man 28-Jul-15
Bauda180 28-Jul-15
r-man 28-Jul-15
27-Jul-15
I should have done this post from the very beginning but here goes. I am in a lease in Southern Alabama with 5000 acres approximately. Land is mostly planted pine with hundreds of acres of hardwood bottom and some cutover in range of growth from 1 to 5 years old. Soil type is mostly a sandy red clay. The older members have limed before I came on board approximately 4 years ago. Me and a buddy have really looked into this food plot thing and have committed to try and start growing a healthier herd.

Equipment we have is a 50 hp John Deere tractor with a 7' bush hog and 6' disc harrow and rake. I do believe we have access to a cultipacker as well.

We have taken soil samples in April of 2015 and they have come back ranging from 6.7 down to 5.2. So the lime in some areas seems to still be effective. N-P-K recommendations are 40-60-120 for all of the plots we tested. Current plan is to plant the higher pH soils as is this year and focus on fixing the lower ones beginning next year, since we decided to do this about a week before samples were taken.

Deer density in this area would be classified as high in my opinion. Our plots range in size from one acre to 1/3 with most being about 1/2 acre in size. We used to plant fall plots in September with mix of oat, wheat and rye. It came up okay but some plots had sparse areas between the plants.

We have planted cowpeas as noted in an earlier post but have since been demolished by the herd. We are looking into a good fall plot mix that can stand early grazing pressure but at the same time produce from early bow (Oct. 25) start date until late January/February at end of year. From reading posts on here clover overseeded with brassicas and grains sounds like a good start.

This can get really overwhelming with all the options but I am just trying to get an idea of where to start and maybe a few things to try as test plots this year.

I know this was a long post but they have plenty of details that I know are needed by some of the pros on here!!

27-Jul-15
In your area you should be able to acquirer collards , turnip, mustrd and a grass, like wheat, trit, or even oats as oats may be spared frost till Jan in your area. those fert recommendations are the highest I have ever seen , you cant go wrong using any of the crops discussed earlier in other threads, clover you may want to try in each plot, as it may work better in different locals. lime is a reality in most areas and you should apply in each plot to some degree . have fun and keep us in some pic rich follow ups of your efforts

27-Jul-15
R-man I think the fertilizer numbers were high as well.

27-Jul-15

Bauda180's DeerBuilder embedded Photo
Bauda180's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

27-Jul-15
I will agree with the clovers and grains, but I have had zero luck with brassicas. I make good crops, but the deer don't touch them. Maybe it doesn't get cold enough, long enough here. Tried Winter Greens and had a beautiful stand......untouched. Tried turnips.....no dice. I'm done with brassicas, hope your luck is better.

27-Jul-15
R-man I am unable to message you privately. I get some kind of server error.

28-Jul-15
got your meessage

28-Jul-15
Thanks Pat I hope to have plots like you guys one day

28-Jul-15
sand down here will not hold potassium , you need to add lime, rock lime and carbon, oil dry for the gypsum , these will change your soil. I can grow anything here if it ever rains. I even added steel shavings from metal shop. clay from a pi not far. I have grown a 125-150lb watermellon with out fertilizer . just have be inventive and under stand soil types.

• Sitka Gear