SteveB 28-Jul-15
Sage Buffalo 28-Jul-15
Hawkeye 28-Jul-15
Elkhuntr 28-Jul-15
Bou'bound 28-Jul-15
R. Hale 28-Jul-15
deerman406 28-Jul-15
27-Jul-15
2 1/2 years ago I booked a hunt with a Sask. outfitter for last fall. Last summer he called regarding the upcoming hunt and said everything was in place but the deer herd took a real nose-dive the previous winter. He wasn't seeing any big bucks, or hardly any bucks for that matter. He said I could still come but the trophy quality was not there (I had seen pics of deer that his clients had taken, and talked to some of them also to confirm the info). He gave me 3 options: 1)come up anyway, 2)he'd hold the deposit and I could go up in a year or two when the trophy quality was back, 3)refund the deposit. I opted for the refund. But I haven't received it yet. It's been 6 months, 3-4 phone calls wondering where it is, with promises each time that he'll send it, or is waiting for a check to clear, or may have to make payments. It's only a grand, but it is a grand; money that could be used for another hunt somewhere else.

What are my options besides waiting and hoping?

27-Jul-15
DO you have his options in writing via email, etc?

27-Jul-15
Patience has been extended. Promises have been broken. Sum too small to do much about. Possession is ten temrjs of the law in this case. You have nothing to lose by politely letifnh know if no money back in 14 days you are going public in many forums with his name and the story. Is he still in business. Is he deer only. Stop being nice

27-Jul-15
What Bou said, but if he doesn't voluntarily cough up the $1K there's not much you can do since he's up in Canada.

27-Jul-15
tell him to make payments....

27-Jul-15
Tell him you'll accept a $1000 a month until it's paid in full, first payment due yesterday.

27-Jul-15
While the population story is true, the fact that you asked for your money back and have not gotten it in 6 months is a major red flag to me. I agree with the line of thinking that you have waited to long and demands are in order. Don't forget to give him a google review if he has a website.

Please tell me he at least has a website. In today's day and age I would never do business with someone who doesn't have a website. That's like giving a deposit to a contractor with a truck and a cell phone.

27-Jul-15
whats your agreement say, about refunds? or is there one. some contracts say you decline to come and you forfeit deposit, he may just be having difficulty getting it. I would go as planned, if he would give you chance to

28-Jul-15
There is no way in hell I would go as planned at this point He's obviously demonstrated what kind of character he is. offering you options and not honoring the option you chose

So instead of getting my money back as he promised I'm going to drive to Saskatchewan and hope I get a quality hunt from this jackass?????

no I don't think so......... I'd lose the thousand dollars before I'd risk time and more money running up to hunt and investing more in his sham operation

28-Jul-15
if he is in Canada and resides there you wont recover your money if he does not want to pay.

28-Jul-15
I'd give him 1 week to fedex it to you or you will go VERY PUBLIC. This is the best place to start. Send this thread to him and that should help.

28-Jul-15
If he doesn't have the money, he doesn't have the money.

You can get as mad as you want and post as much as a teenage girl during prom - it's likely not going to change the outcome and only make it more frustrating for you.

There is very little repercussion for him. You can file a complaint, make us aware but it sounds like he's probably on his way out.

Is it a bummer - absolutely. However, sometimes it's good to know when to cut your losses and move on.

28-Jul-15
+1 Sage

I'd never go now regardless

$ likely gone but miracles do happen

Cut losses and move to next adventure

Up to you how much time AND energy to spend on hunting it down but I'd post a report online and move on. Really a bummer I know but at least it's only $1000 vs a paid in full hunt. If $ not returned in 4-6 weeks I'd say it's a loss. I don't know any reputable business that could go longer than that AND survive.

28-Jul-15
I would not give up on getting the money back. $1K is a lot, to me.

Is there an outfitters board he belongs to, that you could write? Any publication or site that he advertises with, I would write them as well.

Many years ago I had a $250 deposit down on a custom recurve. To make a long story short, the guy took me for a ride and offered a solution but never followed through.

I wrote a polite letter to the local better business bureau and a major magazine he advertised in, asking for their help. the magazine staff called him, and I got my money back along with a nasty return call from him, which was a good laugh.

28-Jul-15
If he outfits for multiple species you may have leverage. If he just doea deer and that is not working for him he is likely insolvent Don't go quietly regardless

28-Jul-15
Bou is correct again. On all three statements.

28-Jul-15
Contact the officials(police or magistrate) in his area. Believe it or not if you have proof of the deposit and did not receive what was promised they may make an official visit for you and ask him to pay up. Its all in the proof you have. I had the same issue with a bow I had made and put a deposit of $500 on it. I did as described and recieved my money less than 3 weeks later. Shawn

• Sitka Gear