sticksender 28-Jul-15
elkmtngear 28-Jul-15
Royboy 02-Aug-15
Butcher 02-Aug-15
Ermine 02-Aug-15
Rcarter 02-Aug-15
drycreek 02-Aug-15
27-Jul-15
I would like to extend my range with a large target. These cost between $500 - $900 in stores or on line. Has anyone made these themselves? I searched for this topic but could not find anything. Looking at building something around 5 foot X 5 foot. Thanks

27-Jul-15
Don't need to.....just get a buddy with a tractor to make a pile of dirt...remove as many rocks as you can.

Then get a buck target (Glendales are good) and put a chartreuse fletch straight up the front leg, 1/3 of the way up from the brisket. That way you are used to shooting at a critter, not a bullseye.

Someone once said, "aim small, miss small."

You will have $250 invested instead of $600......with the savings, take your family out to a nice meal once a week for a month.

Good luck,

Mark

27-Jul-15

Ed's embedded Photo
Ed's embedded Photo
I made one from a 36" bulk seed bag. I filled it with foam blocks and grocery bags. The seed bag cost ~$28 and I get the foam blocks for free from Lowes/Tractor Supply. They are used for packing trailers and most of the stores throw them out. I printed a 36" photo of a coues on some waterproof paper and taped it to the front. The whole thing weighs about 30 lbs, and you can place a different target on 4 sides. The whole thing cost me less than $40. Can't shoot broadheads at it though.

27-Jul-15

Ed's embedded Photo
Ed's embedded Photo

27-Jul-15

Ed's embedded Photo
Ed's embedded Photo
I filled in the excess space with more plastic grocery bags after this and the arrows only penetrate half as much.

27-Jul-15

Ed's embedded Photo
Ed's embedded Photo

27-Jul-15

Ed's embedded Photo
Ed's embedded Photo

27-Jul-15
Cheesehead Mike made a nice one. He should chime in.

27-Jul-15

midwest's Link
Here ya go....

27-Jul-15
I made one. It's 4' x 4'. I used 2x10 for the bottom and 2 sides. For the top I used 2 2x4's lined up with outside edges of 2x10 leaving a space on the middle to fill it. Then I put chicken wire over front and back then black landscape fabric. Once this was done I filled it with old clothes with all buttons and zippers and anything hard removed. As I filled I used a short pole to pack the clothes in. It works great. I flip shooting sides maybe once a year. I also yup a piece of tin on the top about 2' wider then the 2x10 and that keeps it pretty dry. Haven't had an issue with it getting wet and moldy yet. This is the 3rd summer and I haven't needed to add any filling yet.

28-Jul-15

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I shoot at this long range. Good practice

28-Jul-15
build a wood frame box. using 2x2 or 2x4's. buy a roll of geo mesh from a landscaper or menards or lowes. this mesh is used for building retaining walls. It is like rubber coated canvas mesh with about 1 inch holes. Wrap your box with this and staple it on. Fill the box with visquene or plastic sheathing, crumple it up, don't pack it tightly. Then to finish it off I go to the lumber yard and get the plastic they wrap bunks of plywood with. I cut it to the appropriate size and staple it on. Arrows pull out easy and this target will last forever. Only maintenance is to replace plywood rap occasionally, and schuffle the visquene around once in awhile.

28-Jul-15
Tractor Supply sells horse stall mats for about $36 or so. On the moose forum, somebody made a cut out moose target, life size using one. Buy a mat, build a frame to hang it and either shoot into it, or use it as a backstop behind a 3D target, just in case you m.. m... mi.... mis... miss.... You know, the whole Coriolis effect and all that involved in long range shooting! :)

Locally, there is a company that makes foam and sometimes through an employee, you can get a sheet that's about 4x5 feet or so. Problem is that the foam density varies; some stop arrows fine, others take 2 - 4 sheets. I have 3 sheets or partial sheets stacked up behind a bag target and sometimes shoot out to 100 yards at my house. Fun practice!

>>>>-------->

28-Jul-15
If you can't hit a conventional size target 10-10 times it's probably too far to be shooting but I'll second the rubber mat idea. When my kids start shooting there will be an 8x8 rubber square behind my target. Lol. I'm going to try the carpet thing like cheesehead mikes this winter. Has anyone tried the same principle but with horsemat cut up instead of carpet?

28-Jul-15

beckerbulldog's Link
If you search on flea bay you can find 3'x3' bulldog targets for under $200 with a lifetime guarantee. I have one and love it. We do 100 yard shooting with it.

28-Jul-15
There are targets, and then there are back stops. Unless you're shooting way past 100 yards, a 3x3 target should be sufficient. Your backstop of straw bales or other cheap material can handle the rare flyer. The 30-inch Morrell Eternity target pictured here is what I use for 100-yard shooting, and it cost only 85.00. It's only good for field point use however. Just a suggestion, and good luck....long range shooting is a lot of fun.

28-Jul-15

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
Got this idea from Cheesehead Mike.

It is 4 foot square, and cost me around 40 dollars to make.

Walk up, 90 80 70 60 50 yds. No sights, fingertab.

Best of Luck, Jeff

02-Aug-15
I use a spa cover as you can get a free one from the local spa shop (used). Good fun set at 100 yards and shoot at night with a lighted nock!

02-Aug-15
I made one like cheesehead mike using foamular. Works great. I've got a couple of soft spots from broadheads but no pass thurs yet. Looks just like the one elkmtn has above. I use I nylon deer target face. I also bought a couple of morell bag target replacement covers and fill with Wal mart bags. Also easy and cheap.

02-Aug-15
You can also take a big card board box and fill it with old clothes or trash bags and foam etc. Cheap and work good.

02-Aug-15
I made a formular target like the one shown above. We put a couple thousand arrows through it this summer--- mostly competitive target shooting with carbon arrows off of a scoped Pro Comp thus beating the crap out of spots... Also shot ALOT of broadheads into it with my Carbon Knight set at 65 lbs from distances from 10-65 yards. When a spot gets worn I'd get a can of foam window sealer from Walmart (@$2.50 a chance) and spray it in the blown out areas. Let it sit over night and it would actually hold the arrows better than with just the formular. With the carbon arrows, I'd have to take my fletch scraper to em to remove the formular from the carbon after a half dozen ends because of the build up. Also if you use a spray paint to put dots on the face of the formular- it will melt the formular so a big sharpie might do a better job. Overall, it is the best all-around target for the money that a guy can have... Not even close to anything that you can get from a store. A blob is better quality for sure but not for the weight and especially for the price. I won't ever buy another outdoor target again for broadheads.

02-Aug-15
Sticksender, evidently you haven't seen me shoot !

Jokes aside, I use a 3D target up to 60 yd. with a bag target tucked up underneath it. I find I usually miss low and the bag mostly catches the errant arrows. I did have to split an old gum stump last year though to rescue one arrow ! :)

• Sitka Gear