kota-man 27-Aug-15
glidingindian 29-Aug-15
BTM 29-Aug-15
bigeasygator 29-Aug-15
sticksender 29-Aug-15
glidingindian 30-Aug-15
glidingindian 30-Aug-15
25-Aug-15
Headed to BC in less than a month and I think I know the answer to this.

When I fly into Vancouver do I even need to claim my bow? I don't fill any paper work out saying I am bringing archery equipment? Is that correct?? What do you say if asked going through customs??

I will have my bow and case visually inspected in Texas and then Wtap it in duct tape after they put a tag saying it was inspected.

25-Aug-15
One of the questions on the declaration going into Canada is "do you have any weapons?" It then gives examples, but archery is not one of them. I always check "yes" just to be safe, and not be accused of lying. When going through immigration, they always ask about that box, I always answer "archery" or "bow and arrow", and then they stamp it and let me through. Never had an issue at all with it, and they've never asked to see it.

25-Aug-15
Same here. I always check my bow case as "archery equipment". And I don't have any stickers on it.

25-Aug-15
Ok thanks guys

25-Aug-15
I do Exactly what quick draw posted above. No reason to leave any room for possible issues. Absolutely never a problem for me in several trips.

--Jim

25-Aug-15
That is how to fill out the form but don't expect to be able to duck tape a case closed just because it's inspected at baggage check They will put the card on the inside of the case so that when it's opened behind the scenes if it's opened behind the scenes they will be able to see that it was already checked but you will not be allowed to seal it and then send it on its way with the assumption that no one else is going to get inside it

25-Aug-15
A clear home made plexy case , sounds good. next if its a cross bow do you claim a gun or a bow ?????

25-Aug-15
According to TSA bow and arrows are classified as "Sporting Equipment." When going thru immigrations or customs in other countries when asked what is in the case my response is "sporting Equipment." If asked what type of sporting equipment, my response is "bow(s) and arrows.

A firearm and ammunition is a "different animal". That comes under the category of "firearm."

Earlier this summer, RSA custom officials put a "firearm" label on my bow case as I was departing RSA for Namibia. When I arrived in Namibia I had to go to the firearms area. The official there told me that I did not have a firearm. I knew that, but I played the game with RSA Clowns because I know they know "what is best" and I just wanted to get thru the circus ASAP and get on Namibia to hunt. RSA officials stupidity caused me to lose time at the Windhoek airport, but the fun of the hunt overrode RSA stupidity.

Upon my departure from Namibia I routed my bow case to my final destination with no firearms label. USA Customs in ATL waived my case right on through without any problems.

25-Aug-15
Boubound. I have duct taped my case both trips to Africa. It is no different than locking it. They can still get in it just gonna see if it is worth it to them to open it. Both trips to Africa they didn't mess with it. I mainly do it just to see if they opened it again after the initial check.

25-Aug-15
Millie and I have flown from TX into Saskatoon, Calgary and Edmonton on numerous occasions heading to/from bear camp with our gear and have never had an issue. As others have said, the bow 'may' be inspected after you check in for departure - which is why they recommend using an FAA approved lock. I've never had a gate agent stick an 'inspected by sticker or tag' on any piece of checked luggage. That said, TSA will leave a card telling the owner that they've inspected the contents if they open it (I think I've had it happen once on 6 round trip flights).

When completing the custom's declaration entering Canada be sure you indicate you're carrying sporting equipment and specify it's a bow.

Safe travels

25-Aug-15
Yes check it as a weapon. I failed to do that last year in Edmonton and had a big gal give me bunch of crap that a bow is a weapon and I could go around killing people with it. First time it ever happen. Big ugly gal too and I tend to avoid those types but she was the line that was open at the time.

25-Aug-15
Just be honest with all the questions because the customs agents really like to crap in your soup if u r evasive at all.

26-Aug-15
In my experience it depends on whether or not you get a sympathetic counter agent or border agent. Their power gives them the ability to give you grief if they want and some do but in the end you get through. Usually it is a few questions and you get through. This is only because they think there could be a firearm in the case.

26-Aug-15
Youre likely to have more issues with the airline charging for a "non sporting equip" bag than going thru customs with it. Golf bags are regular checked.

26-Aug-15
Last year when entering and exiting Vancouver I was asked each time to open my bow case so they could look inside. Both times I referred to it as archery equipment prior to be asked to open the case. One gal asked, before I opened the case, if I held the bow upright or horizontal. Apparently crossbows could be a problem. The other gal only wanted to see a limb and I assumed she was verifying it wasn't a gun or crossbow. Each time I was patient and polite and the total delay was less than 10 minutes. The most important thing is to keep your attitude in check, be patient, always refer to your gear as "archery equipment" and there should rarely be a problem. I don't consider the above a problem.

I prefer TSA locks over tape or regular locks for guns and bows. I've had more than one instance traveling with my dad, who's a rifle hunter, when we got called back to unlock the case after it'd been checked. It's never happened with TSA locks and I've never had items that turned up missing over 20+ trips.

26-Aug-15
Tilz...Problem is you are actually breaking the law established by FAA if you put TSA locks on a Gun Case.

TSA locks on bow case, regular padlock on gun case.

26-Aug-15
remember

there are no airline policies only check in people policies and if you point this out to them you lose!

if you tell them they don't know their policies you will win that skirmish - maybe - but lose the war on the other end of the trip

26-Aug-15
Kota - since when does the FAA regulate airline security? Do you have a link that states what you're refer in to above?

Seriuosly not trying to start a debate but both times I was told, after I sprinted to the security area, that if we had TSA locks they could've opened the gun case, inspected it and they wouldn't have need me down there to unlock it. My real world experience differs from what your stating but that doesn't mean I'm right.

26-Aug-15
I don't think they care what kind of locks on a gun case, long as it locks. I've used TSA locks several times. But it is OK to use a non-TSA lock on a gun case as it has been inspected and "sealed" with a tag.

Lock a bow case it best be TSA locks, if they want in they will cut them off otherwise.

I hate duct tape or tape of any kind on my cases and coolers. The glue makes a sticky nasty gooey mess of residue after just trip or two. I have a couple webbing straps I use on my cooler.

Most of my stuff is unlocked anyway. In all these years and miles have never had anything stolen. But all the really valuable items I keep with me in my carry on.

26-Aug-15

kota-man's Link
Tilz...Many websites will tell you this including the TSA website which is a little more vague but fairly self explanatory.

From TSA: "You may transport ammunition and unloaded firearms in a locked, hard-sided container as checked baggage. THE CONTAINER MUST BE COMPLETELY SECURED FROM ANYONE EXCEPT THE OWNER" TSA locks are accessible by anyone with a TSA key.

The attached link is from Berretta's website and this same information can be found on ANY firearms website/blog by searching.

I was in New Mexico a couple years ago, and the gate agents correctly refused to let anyone on the plane with TSA Locks on their firearms. It sent tons of guys scrambling looking for regular padlocks and several missed their flights.

Now, the problem is most gate agents THINK everything should have to have a TSA lock on it when in fact they are dead wrong. TSA usually gets it right, but gate agents are all over the board on this one.

Take it from someone who travels internationally with firearms at least 3-4 times a year, the law says NO TSA LOCKS on firearms. I've found the actual law before and will post it up if I can find it again. I do however carry two TSA locks in case I meet up with an ignorant gate agent and tell them I'm happy to put the TSA locks on if they are willing to sign something saying I have to break the law to follow their policy. I've never had to change locks. :)

26-Aug-15
The actual law addressing this is:

14 CFR 108.203(e) STATES: "The container in which the firearms is carried is locked and only the person checking bag retains the key and or combination."

I believe the FAA makes the laws for the TSA to follow Tilz but don't quote me on that one. The TSA is the "enforcer"...

I've actually had TSA agents come out to do my firearm screening and have told the gate agents..."He's correct, NO TSA LOCKS on firearms."

Yes, TONS of people travel everyday in the fall with TSA locks on their firearms, but they are actually breaking the law.

I apologize to the orignal poster as this one got "off topic" in a hurry.

27-Aug-15
Kota,

Good to know and I don't think it's off topic at all is because my experience with one trip with a firearm was one where I was told I needed to surrender the keys so the case could be opened and inspected in Denver. I wasn't allowed to accompany the agent to the secure area. Also, I was told by TSA in three airports that TSA locks were fine on gun cases and had they been on I would've have had to come back for the case to be unlocked. These airports were Montreal, Denver and Reno. Reno doesn't surprise me but the other two should've gotten it right. That said it was about 7 or 8 years ago so maybe the laws changed but I doubt it. I believe the agents simply didn't know better. That was my dad's gun and due to his age and the fact he moves slow and was called shortly before departure I went to security both times he was called so we wouldn't miss the flight. They probably shouldn't have allowed that either...,

All that said the reason it's not off topic is the simple fact is that even if you know the rules and follow them that doesn't guarantee the various agents around the globe know the rules nor does it mean you'll have a trouble free trip. It also shows you might get away with breaking "the rules"....

I think it's good to understand that, smile, keep a good attitude and not start an argument you probably won't win even if you're right.

Sounds a lot like work or marriage!

27-Aug-15
Never did have any problems. I put a TSA lock on my bowcase.

27-Aug-15
That's why I said above that it's up to the all powerful gate agents :) who can make your life easy or miserable.

27-Aug-15
The lesson here: BE PREPARED. Print out your airlines policy on "sporting equipment". Print out the TSA rules on sporting equipment and/or firearms. For bows, TSA locks are what should be on the case. For firearms carry both types of locks. Don't be confrontational with the ignorant gate agents. Simply show them the airline rules and ask them how they want to handle it.

Lot of great advice here, especially when it comes to dealing with gate agents. Tilz is 100% correct in saying that you need to "smile, keep a good attitude, and not start an arugment you probably won't win even if you're right". Because know if you do start that argument, your bow or gun may end up in Rhode Island regardless of whether you were right or not.

29-Aug-15
Absolutely put bold letters on your bow case that say "Archery Gear" if your case has any resemblance to a gun case. Mark at Bowhu ting Safari Consultants told me of this two years ago on a goat hunt and I had no problems. The hunter following me was Pete Shepley of PSE and he had his hard sided double bow case and two bows crushed by a vehicle of some type at the Vancouver airport. Nothing subtle, they ran over it and demolished it. He did not have his case identified as archery. There are a lot of antis in Vancouver and at that time there was an uproar over a famous hockey player who killed a local well known grizzly (legally) . It was front page in Vancouver. Be careful and have great trip. Canada is a special place.

29-Aug-15
I had an easier time with a non-square case, but when I went to a rectangular Boyt "rifle looking" case everyone in Vancouver seemed to develop a Pavlovian, knee-jerk, gun-phobic panic no matter how many times I said "It's only a bow." (I even wrote "Archery equipment only" in large letters on both sides, but it didn't matter.)

Also, almost everybody kept asking me if it was a crossbow; i.e., their eyes glazed over when I tried to tell them it was compound bow. I had to keep my fingers crossed at the final destination (Whitehorse, Ft. St. John, etc.) as to whether my case would show up at the luggage turnstile.

I'd make sure you have several hours between flights because the immigration and baggage process can take a while. (One time I BARELY made the connecting flight.)

Final note: The luggage turnstile is quite close to the exit, and nobody's there to check that someone doesn't take your luggage while you're waiting in the long immigration line, so I've always crossed my fingers (and my legs if I drank too much liquid that morning!) and hoped the luggage wouldn't "sprout legs" before I got to it.

Sorry to be such a downer about Vancouver, but that's been my experience on the last few trips through there. I've even been advised by some outfitters to allow an extra day at your final destination in case your luggage gets lost/delayed before you're scheduled to fly into the bush.

Good luck on your hunt!

29-Aug-15
You are going to have to fill out a declarations form prior to going through customs in Canada. One of the boxes asks if you have any weapons and then lists a few examples (firearm, switchblade, etc). Given that they listed switchblades, I figured I'd check "yes" on the weapons box considering I was carrying knives and broad heads in addition to the bow and arrows. When ask what kind of weapon I said it is a bow and arrow and it was never inspected. It's just a lot safer to declare your bow as a weapon than not in my opinion. Once you are asked what it is and you tell them chances are they're going to send you on your way.

29-Aug-15
Probably the best type of bow case, resulting in the fewest questions/issues, is a golf bag or a non-camo roller duffle like a Badlands Terraglide.

Still when the customs guy asks you the purpose of your visit, you have to be forthright and tell him hunting. If you try to say "personal business" or "vacation" they'll ask you to be more specific. Then, if you haven't listed archery gear on your customs declaration, he most definitely will ask you what you're hunting with, because he'll notice you haven't declared a firearm.

The guy at Edmonton earlier this month informed me that "a bow is a weapon....just like a knife, it kills", and marked up my declaration accordingly. No other issues, and they waved me right in. From now on though, I'll declare archery equipment under the "weapons" category. Even though the custom form cites examples of weapons as "firearms, switchblades, explosives". Knives & bows are not mentioned. Like others have said, the agents each seem to have their own "policies".

30-Aug-15
My last trip through Vancouver used my solid black Badlands terra glide, no issues. Sometimes can get all my gear and bow into one terra glide, saves some baggage fees as well!

30-Aug-15
My last trip through Vancouver used my solid black Badlands terra glide, no issues. Sometimes can get all my gear and bow into one terra glide, saves some baggage fees as well!

• Sitka Gear