HDE 28-Aug-15
oldgoat 28-Aug-15
WapitiBob 29-Aug-15
Tajue17 29-Aug-15
BTM 30-Aug-15
Matt 30-Aug-15
'Ike' (Phone) 30-Aug-15
28-Aug-15
I have ACC's and I just ordered the Blue low temp hot melt for carbons, I need to glue in the Easton 1/2 outs and was told by Lancaster the hot melt was the way to go.

my question is,,, do you guys heat both the carbon shaft and insert or put most of the heat on the insert and a little on the carbon,,,,,,,, then when inserting the Insert (no Pun) do you just push it in or do you also spin it a few times to spread the hot melt then air cool or dunk in cold water.

I've been doing this for years on trad arrows but my compound arrows I always used insert glue,,,, I do remember trying to remove an insert with heat and the carbon fibers all came apart on me so I'm a bit nervous.

28-Aug-15
do not heat shaft! only the insert and just enough to adhere , while removing an insert, screw a field point in, then hit that , you will need to keep steady pressure pulling it while you heat it so it comes out as soon as it can. don't use any more heat then nessesary

28-Aug-15
For many years I used hot melt but have since moved on to JB weld. I've never lost an insert pulling broadheads from targets when held by JB. I can't say the same for hot melt. JMO

Bill

28-Aug-15
I use boiling water to heat the melt glue to pull an insert. It doesn't take much heat to melt the glue onto the insert. Sometimes I think the insert gets too hot and "boils off" the glue and there isn't much left to adhere to the inner shaft when installing inserts.

28-Aug-15
My trick because I shot trad is to use a 225gr head when I'm installing inserts, I say that because most compound shooters have never seen a field tip that heavy;-) It holds the heat better than the smaller 100gr ones for example! Like the one guy mentioned though, JB Weld is hard to beat, I use it on my current heads and it's dope as my daughter says!

29-Aug-15
I use Stanley S brand low temp hot melt. Yes, I will slightly heat the carbon shaft but with everything in life, common sense goes a long way. It's warm not hot. I also hold the insert in my fingers so that will give you an idea of how much direct heat I apply.

29-Aug-15
I'm all set and thank you to everyone who posted,, good luck this season..

30-Aug-15
Another vote for JB 24-hour epoxy.

30-Aug-15
I have used nothing but hot melt for inserts in IC carbons for the better part of 15 years and have never damaged an arrow. Apply heat judciously and you will be fine.

I use an electric pot to melt the glue, dip the insert, and then spin it over a candle until the hot melt starts to bubble. I then quickly push it into the shaft spinning it a bit as it goes (1/4 turn or so), and run it under the faucet to cool it off.

Using epoxy for inserts (which are in essence a "wear part") solves one problem but creates a host of others (most notably the likelihood of ruining a $10 arrow shaft when replacing a $.25 insert).

30-Aug-15
Heat insert, apply hot melt then heat same and insert into shaft....To remove, insert a field point by a couple threads, heat same and then remove the insert...Cool shaft with water!

• Sitka Gear