Bowboy 30-Aug-15
elktrax 30-Aug-15
elktrax 30-Aug-15
buff 30-Aug-15
Mike Vines 30-Aug-15
Bou'bound 30-Aug-15
Fisher 31-Aug-15
29-Aug-15
I'm in the hunt for a new pair of binos and wondering what might be the best all around power/obj for use. I mainly hunt deer and turkey here in Wisconsin, mostly in wooded settings however I do plan to make it out west in the coming years to try my hand at chasing some elk. Not looking for brand recommendations as I think it is to each their own but more curious on what you think is best; 8x32, 8x42, 10x42 ect.

29-Aug-15
I use 8X32s in the deer woods. Out west I use 10X42s.

29-Aug-15
I prefer 10x42.

29-Aug-15
If could have only one pair of binoculars they would be 10x42's.

29-Aug-15
If I'm only gonna get one pair for all around use, it'd be 10x42s.

29-Aug-15
For one pair I chose 10X42 also. I would rather have 8X42 here in Ohio. I doubt the 8 power would hurt you much out west either. I guess it is a toss up depending on your preference.

Man I am no real help am I?

29-Aug-15
10x42. Buy the best and buy once.

29-Aug-15
"10x42. Buy the best and buy once." Ditto

Buy the best you can afford even if it means a well taken care of pre-owned set.

29-Aug-15
I too have a pair of 10x42s, though my honest favorites are a pair of 7x36's. Have used them everywhere with great results.

29-Aug-15
8's

30-Aug-15
I was in the same boat as you a little over a year ago. Mostly hunt in the woods in MN, but went out west for my first Elk hunt last fall and going for muley's in SD this fall. I went with 8 x 42's. Some people suggest you can't get quite as clear an image at 10x without stabilization (tripod etc) and therefore negates the extra magnification over a 8x. I carry a spotting scope out west anyway so I wan't to worried about the extra magnification in my binos. Also, if you are looking at used gear, the 8x's seems to go for a little less than their 10x counterparts.

30-Aug-15
double post

30-Aug-15
double post

30-Aug-15
I would choose the 8x42s as well, that said I just bought a compact size 10x50 for my deer hunt in Kansas. They are roughly the size of a set of 8x42s and I like the little extra light the 50's allow at first and last light. Shawn

30-Aug-15
I bought a pair of Swarovski's years ago before the prices got completely out of hand. Had the choice of 8.5x42 or 10x42, and price was not the deciding factor. I went with the 8.5s and have no regrets at all. I've been out west a lot and they do everything I need of them, yet I feel are a bit better for back here at home in WI. That being said, the past few years around home have found me carrying a pair of 6x32s more than the bigger pair.

30-Aug-15
10x work great but you may find yourself sitting down to glass a lot. They are fairly tough to hold steady when windy and if you have a loaded pack. Most of the time I find myself using binocs for spotting game and a spotting scope for sizing them up/trophy judging.

30-Aug-15
I have both 8X30 and 10X42 Swarovskis. The 10 power are my primary glass for everything. The 8 power hardly ever get used.

30-Aug-15
10x42 for me.

30-Aug-15
10x42

30-Aug-15
10x42

30-Aug-15
8x42 the higher the power the more steady you need to hold The difference between free holding 8 and 10 power is pretty Surprising, for me anyway, but the magnification difference, Didn't seem such a big thing to me, if you'll have a rest all the time Then maybe 10 power

30-Aug-15
10x42 here. I have two inexpensive pair, that I let my "Pre" teen sons use to get familiar with, and a set of Zeiss FL T, that travel with me everywhere.

The difference between inexpensive and the Zeiss are night and day (pardon the Pun).

Just like when buying tools (I'm a Carpenter by trade), you by nice, or you're gonna be buying twice.

30-Aug-15
10x42s.

31-Aug-15
Here are tips and info based upon what i have learned and what i use. Ultimately all of mine will go to my grandkids who are quite active in the outdoors.

If you only have one set of binos - Go with 8x42 roof prism. Most of the time enough power. Easier to hold steady. Lighter. Better in the east. Buy a good brand that YOU like. If buying in person, ask the salesman if he will go outside with you and take your final few choices outside to compare in real light.

If in the future you want more magnification, look at 10 power roof prism or a spotting scope. If you buy 10x, get one with a tripod mount so you can use it for long range extended observation.

Or, depending on your age, if you are a younger guy, you might end up with more than one bino which is not a bad thing. I gave an older set to my son and upgraded. I have found Leupold to be top quality in each class - import, USA made, rifle scopes, and spotting scopes.

I have bought these over many years for different uses. 8x42 Leupold roof prism imports that are excellent quality and live in my hunting backpack or daypack because i dont want to ever forget to pack them. Another set of 8x42 Leupold roof prism imports that live in my drybag carry bag of gear that goes everywhere with me from house to truck cab to boat to cabin to 4-wheeler to tractor to everywhere. Also have a set of 10x50 roof prism Leupold Gold Ring Hi-definition with their best glass and coatings which are made in USA that I found on clearance directly from Leupold for an unbelievable price that I couldn't refuse. They are top quality - I have never seen better. Also have a Leupold Gold Ring variable power spotting scope with a good tripod - I have never seen better.

I would really like to have Leupold Gold Ring compact size Binos which are shirt pocket size. They are good quality but have limited field of view and limited light transmission. Very good quality.

My wife has difficulty holding steady any Binos. She has a set with an image stabilization feature. Once you find what to focus on, just push the button and the image is very stable - no wiggle.

For light transmission efficiency and field of view stay with 8x40 or 10x50. As magnification power increases, so must the lense size.

Remember, Binos are like a camera in that the best Binos are the ones you have with you when you need them. The finest Binos at home in a desk drawer won't do you any good.

Happy shopping and best wishes.

• Sitka Gear