bghunter 01-Sep-15
Reflex 01-Sep-15
dlpassthru 01-Sep-15
JW 01-Sep-15
Bake 01-Sep-15
wild1 01-Sep-15
30-Aug-15
When it comes to hunting folks there are three distinct types:

1) Fully engaged in hunting with little interest in sports, i.e. football, baseball, basketball, hockey, NASCAR, etc., apart from maybe their "home team".

2) Loves hunting AND some organized sports or teams.

3) Is fully engaged in both.

What type of hunter are you?... and what teams do you support?

30-Aug-15
I am pretty much a #1. Don't follow a lot of organized sports, fully engaged in hunting.

I do cheer on my Auburn Tigers during football season. Down here in Alabama, college football RULES over any sport, closely followed by NASCAR.

WAR EAGLE !!!

30-Aug-15
I'm both, been in the woods and water since I was old enough to walk but started playing hockey when I was 6 and football 8. Die hard Giants fan for football and lightning for hockey. I'm a firm believer that hunting and fishing are every bit as much a sport as any other so I've never felt a need for separation . Hell prob even more so, football players don't have senses 10x stronger than a human and the ability to always have home field advantage like animals do

30-Aug-15
Spring and summer, all my time goes to my boys and coaching whatever little league they want to be in. Come Fall, it's all about hunting.

I don't play games, and never could understand sitting down to watch a grown man play a game. To each their own, that's why there is so many things out there to take up everyone's time.

30-Aug-15
Im a big fan of The Premier League and a loyal Chelsea supporter. I also enjoy watching the world's best golfers play the Majors each year. Ironically I find football, baseball and basketball to be unbelievably boring. Go figure......

30-Aug-15

Genesis's embedded Photo
Genesis's embedded Photo

One arrow in my quiver will be hunting Wolfpack,Badgers,Bulldogs and a host of other species!

Open date is middle of rut so Whitetail will be on the menu also......

Seems like yesterday that he was just gettting the wheels to turn over on his 30# bow

30-Aug-15

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
When a kid I shot Archery & Bowhunted (started in 1956), played baseball (9 years) ran track & cross country in HS. Bears, Packer fan (watch) Iowa State fan because my G-son says that's all allowed in his house. I compete in Field, Target & 3-D archery. I do 3-Ds for fun with my G-kids (10-11-16) & my adult son. I do Field & target competition for myself. My adult son is into Dirt Bikes & 4 Wheeler racing & Bowhunting. Growing up for him it was Dirt Bikes & Snowboarding, Skiing & skate boards (I had a half pipe built in the yard for him) + he & his 5 buddies all weight lifted (he still does). I attended my 10 yr. old G-sons football game today.. Archery/Bowhunting does take the majority of my free time but Wife, kids & G-kids come 1st. I now try & shoot my hunting rig & Bheads 3-4 times a week now for Oct. opener & once season starts I hunt Mon through Friday & take weekend off as that's when "working" people go (I am retired). When I worked I have NO IDEA how I did all that I did. I am blessed. Never played video games nor did my son. G-kids are another story but they shoot & do school sports (football, Basketball)..

30-Aug-15
Love hunting and the outdoors first and foremost! But man oh man I enjoy watching the chicago blackhawks year after year. I also like the green bay packers as that is and has been my team for years now.

Baseball is stupid and boring! Basketball is stupid...march madness excluded. soccer....no explanation needed! Golf, I love playing it but watching it outsdoe of highlights is stupid.

30-Aug-15
#1 love is fly fishing then it is bow hunting have no interest in watching two guys play catch for nine innings. If I had free tickets to a football game I would scalp them for pennies. Stay well.

30-Aug-15
I think there may be a 4th category: Those who are fanatical packers fans and will give up a day of hunting (or 3 hours anyway) as not to miss it.

30-Aug-15
I have zero interest in pro sports. I played a few in school but football and hunting overlap too much. We hunted most every day after school and every weekend day we could all through football season. I couldn't give that up to make practice.

Now my son (9) plays Pop Warner football and its tough to fit everything in. I hate missing a game and I watch most of his practices 3 nights a week. He loves hunting as well and he'll likely face the same dilemma I did when he hits high school.

31-Aug-15
1!

In high school I played football and rugby.

But now days I'm all bowhunting. Could care less about sports.

31-Aug-15
I bowhunt about 70 days a year and do something bowhunting-related online 365 days a year - it's what turns my clock.

But I'm an avid, die-hard Chargers fan and Raider-Hater and I really enjoy soccer. I'm a Galaxy fan and a U.S. Mens/Women's National team fan. I watch every game. I love that I can watch a game in 90 minutes, fast forwarding 1/2 time, and the action is non-stop, unlike a football game that is 1 hour of game and 2.5 hours of commercials. I'll only watch the NFL on my DVR. I also am a big fan of Stanford football, where I went to school. Go Cardinal!

I turned my back on professional baseball after the strike in the early 90s when the players turned their backs on their fans.

I used to watch every Lakers game, but it just became too much and I don't enjoy the game enough. Fouls at the end of regulation destroy the game.

31-Aug-15
My kids are grown now. When they were little, I coached most of their teams in soccer, basketball and baseball. Now, I attend my grandsons' games, and my kids are now the coaches.

I try to play tennis at least once a week... most weeks two or three times. I try to play at least one round of golf every week until it gets too cold for that particular sport... usually sometime in late October/early November.

I'm a Red Sox and Patriots fan. I've listened to many Red Sox games while sitting in a treestand. My kids and I are Patriots season ticket holders. So, when the Pats are playing in Foxboro, that's where I'll be.

And, I hunt. During the MA turkey and deer seasons, I try to hunt every day... unless I'm sick or the weather is too bad. There are always some days when I can't hunt due to something going on at work or a family commitment.

In addition to Massachusetts, I also hunt in Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, and New York. So, in the end, I get my share of days in the field along with the other things I do.

31-Aug-15
I'm in the first group! I always have to ask who won the game at work! If the broncos or the Rockies make the post season I might pay slightly more attention but I wouldn't miss a chance at hunting to watch a game! Haven't watched much baseball in several years as you might guess!

31-Aug-15
I only follow football now. Primarily a Cornhusker fan but I stay engaged in the pro game enough to carry a conversation.

Looks like I have a reason to keep an eye on Troy University, as well. Tell him we said, "happy hunting" Steve.

31-Aug-15

31-Aug-15
I am full engaged in bowhunting but I am a huge UK basketball fan and a Bengals. One of those teams is normally very fun to follow and the other is like having a root canal.

31-Aug-15
#1 for me, when the season is over and winter sets in I live out on the ice

31-Aug-15
Coming from a family who's been around pro sports all my life I used to sit down a watch every Lions, Tigers, or Wings game I could (freaking hate basketball would rather watch womens bowling) I've met tons of players as a kid my father used to work for Wings and the Tigers my uncle was being scouted by the Wings until his accident and I've even had the opportunity to meet Mr. Mike Illitch. But I bought a bow a few months back cancelled my MLB.TV package and haven't watched a game since. Just been out practicing. I want to fill one of my 6 whitetail tags this year as my first bowhunt ever. And I don't intend to watch anyone play a game until theres meat in that freezer. (Although I do have a very tiny freezer)

31-Aug-15
Huge jock in high school. Still love football. Easy choice in school for me to play sports and worry about hunting later. Glad I did.

31-Aug-15
Both. But I'm pretty single-minded the first two weeks of November. I have three boys that are athletic. Football, hockey then baseball. I don't watch a ton of sports on tv until hunting is done. But I'm traveling all over for kids sports.

31-Aug-15
1!

In high school I played football and rugby.

But now days I'm all bowhunting. Could care less about sports.

31-Aug-15
I was a #1.

But the last few years I've been a fairly serious KC Royals fan. I grew up a fan, and even worked at the stadium while I was in college in KC, and worked 82 home games.

I have really enjoyed watching them the last few years. Have been to several games this year too.

I'm also a casual Chiefs fan. And a Missouri Tiger fan by default, as I'm dyed in the wool, and my wife is a huge Tigers football and basketball fan as she's an alum.

But I'll never be as into organized sports as I am into hunting. But the last few years, watching organized sports has been a good way to spend time with my wife, and a good way to make up for all the time I'm not home :)

Bake

31-Aug-15
I played football, basketball and baseball up through 7th grade. Then settled on baseball through high school. We won the Oklahoma State 5A championship my junior yr. and lost in the semi-finals my senior year. During my high-school years I lived baseball. I did find time to hunt and fish with my Dad though. I was a starter and solid player but didn't get any interest at the college level. In hindsight I should have walked on at Oklahoma just to know for myself. Since graduating college in 1989 I have been an avid hunter and fisherman. I compete in local bass tournaments, have a couple of small sponsorships and usually win enough to cover expenses. I love my Sooners and watch the games on TV as long as they are not on during hunting hours. BOOMER SOONER!

31-Aug-15
I am a 3 season guy.

Bowhunting Season Packers Season Waiting for Bowhunting/Packers Season

31-Aug-15
Probably a #2 but becoming more of a #1 as time goes by.

I grew up in MN so I follow the Vikings, Wild, Gopher hockey and will keep an eye on the Twins if they are doing well. Now living in Colorado I have adopted the Broncos and Avalanche as well.

None of those get in the way of hunting in the fall though. If we are in camp and the Broncos are on the radio we'll listen. I usually DVR games when I'm gone on trips and watch them while I'm unpacking after I get back.

Once the snow flies and meat is in the freezer I will watch a little more sports, but it's not something I spend a lot of effort on.

31-Aug-15
Fully engaged in hunting, but casual sports fan. I like watching various basketball and football games, but wont really go out of my way to do it.

Of course I still prefer to play basketball, and I'm sure I can rearrange my schedule a bit to fit a game or two in!

31-Aug-15
I would be a 3. I am dedicated to bowhunting and bowfishing year round but I am also a high school basketball coach and still love playing the game. Also a huge college football (Huskers) fan and love college basketball but also watch a ton of other sports as well. I think the drive and desire I learned through sports has increased my success with bowhunting.

31-Aug-15
#3 SC Gamecocks, Atlanta Braves, and the Packers . Thinking and dreaming about hunting when no doing it.

31-Aug-15
1. Faith and family

2. Work and make money

3. Hunting/fishing

4. Florida Gator football

Pretty much in that order. The way we hunt in Florida works out well for watching a lot of college football.

31-Aug-15
I'm checking threads during my mid-day break while hunting Mulies in Colorado! I guess that makes me a 1:)

31-Aug-15
Atta boy Charlie! Good luck!

31-Aug-15
#1 all the way. I don't get watching other people play games.

31-Aug-15
None of the above. I've never had the slightest interest in any such sporting event, never been to a game or race of any kind... you couldn't PAY me to go... and actually find others' interest in it and much of the associated behavior rather bizarre. If guys turn a game on the radio at work or talk about sports for more than a minute or two, I get up and leave the room. I don't know why, but I dislike it to the point that it's repulsive. Just not my thing I guess.

I'd rather DO things I enjoy, than sit around cheering, watching, or talking about others doing what THEY enjoy.

I'm a bow weilding hunter/gatherer, bowyer, trapper, fisherman, woodsman, etc. I make as much of my own gear and do for myself as much as my skills allow, and always try to learn and do more... and I'm learning and doing nothing here so....

31-Aug-15
All I've ever done since school age is work, hunt and fish, in that order. No sports for me since baseball as a kid.

31-Aug-15
I have started a weird swing.

I am more into NFL and always have been into ufc and boxing.

Kind of putting hunting on the middle burner per say

01-Sep-15
I'm a #2 - Royals, Chiefs, K-State football and, of course, KU basketball.

Can't recall missing many hunts to watch or listen to a game, though.

(Sorry about your wife, Bake, man.) :-)

01-Sep-15
I started playing ice hockey about 4 years ago, and it is only recently that bowhunting has been able to compete for my interest. Being on a team is more fun than I remember.

01-Sep-15
I started a post about lost desire. I think between college football, packer football and blackhawks hockey might be a reason I lost desire to hunt. Something about pro sports and hanging out with famliy and Friends. Now mind you I am the only one that hunts or likes to hunt, but everyone loves sports

01-Sep-15
I'm a #3. I'm a performance coach by trade, so sports literally are my business... But I'm also a fairly rabid Patriot's fan (Like Jimbo). Outside NFL, I follow hockey and baseball... but I'm more interested in the sports I coach: cycling, triathlon, ultra running etc.

01-Sep-15
I don't watch professional sports of any kind. However, I love to bowhunt and watch college football. I like college basketball too. But, college football is my thing as far as organized sports go. I have been known to get out of the stand and go back to the truck to listen to the game while I eat lunch in early season. I am a WVU alumni and fan. And, a day spent in the brisk October air, followed by a nap in the sun, while listening to the game during the midday, is hard to beat. Come November, I just get text updates from the wife as I don't leave the woods. God Bless

01-Sep-15
I Think this might be part of the reason I have lost my desire to hunt. No one in my family hunts, but when it comes to badger packer and the best sport and team ever blackhawks hockey everyone gets together.

01-Sep-15
Definitely #3. I play basketball and shoot my bow year round. I love working out, which is why I probably grew to love Western hunting as it is a lot more physical. I watch a lot of football when I can, but not so much the other sports (difficult without cable). I grew up in Iowa and have always loved the Packers and Iowa football and basketball.

01-Sep-15
play in two Ice Hockey leagues, bow hunt, and am a Penn State football junkie. Otherwise, don't watch any other sports, or TV for that matter.

01-Sep-15
#2 for me. Bowhunting is far and away #1 in my life but I'm a huge college football fan. Growing up in central Ohio, I've been an Ohio State Buckeyes fan since day 1. I also follow Cincinnati Reds baseball and enjoy watching / playing golf as well.

01-Sep-15

Bake's MOBILE embedded Photo
Bake's MOBILE embedded Photo

Writer. . . My wife will always be a tiger. And she's trying damn hard to make my daughter one too :)

01-Sep-15
I've always been a sports fan, but I've always preferred to be a participant, rather than a spectator.

Played multiple sports throughout my life, now it's all about bowhunting, with the exception of coaching my little boy (soccer and baseball) and watching some sports on TV, but mostly post-season stuff.

Love the World Series, Stanley Cup, playoff football and the college football playoff. Final Four is fun, but basketball isn't where it's at for me…

….aside from my little boy (family first), bowhunting is where it's at for me.

• Sitka Gear