gobbler 02-Sep-15
Shiras 02-Sep-15
TMA1010 02-Sep-15
Shiras 02-Sep-15
Coyote 65 02-Sep-15
Greg Kush 02-Sep-15
willliamtell 02-Sep-15
30-Aug-15
My new $13.00 bee smoker came today and I must say....its awesome! The smoke it puts out is insane. I used spruce and pine and smoked all my hunting clothes tonight. I am going to do it one more time maybe 1 or 2 days before Oct 1st. I am going to try son oak shavings mixed with dead leafs and throw in some dried apples.

Those of u that have smoked your clothes.. what do u think about it? From the looks of it and heavy natural odor I would say it is solid!

Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

31-Aug-15
I use a bee smoker and leaves I pick up around the yard. Put the clothes I want to smoke in old 48qt. cooler and smoke through the drain hole, then close the hole and let sit til I get dressed the morning of hunt.

Keep the clothes I'm hunting with in the cooler when I take them off.

I've definitely had many to none..can't remember one blowing at me..smell me since I started smoking up my clothes. Killed one that walked right up to me from down wind. I know it works.

31-Aug-15
I use Hickory chips for smoking food. Smell is powerful but doesn't smell like garbage. Makes me hungry for a steak..

31-Aug-15
where do you get your smoker at?

31-Aug-15
You don't necessarily need a bee hive smoker, you can use a small metal can and punch holes in it.

31-Aug-15
The title of this thread got my attention immediately. I definitely have bee smokers hanging around and will have to try this.

31-Aug-15
So basically when you're backpack hunting instead of keeping your hunting clothes away from the fire you should be sitting downwind right in the smoke? ?Addresses the skeeter problem at the same time. What the heck are the animals processing when they smell your stinky clothes - just a little forest fire somewhere?

31-Aug-15
walks with a gimp - "you can use a small metal can and punch holes in it"

Having problems picturing that in my mind... You have pix?

31-Aug-15
Got mine on amazon. I could have made one but for the price i got mine for....forget it.

All I know is that human odor versus heavy campfire smoke....I take the ladder. I will for sure bring this topic up in November with an update. I have been bow hunting for 8 years so I know whats normal and whats not in terms of being winded and busted.

01-Sep-15
I know a little about this subject, and anyone that uses a can with holes punched in it vs a smoker is just foolish. You will not get the volume of smoke, harder to light, etc. Spend 15 bucks or find one in a barn... save yourself the irritation.

Also, hardwood(s) is the way to go, hickory has always been my favorite, though any common hardwood has the same chemical make-up to make it work.

01-Sep-15
I light my bee smoker with a propane torch. I'm sure I could do the same thing with a can.. Holes in the sides of the can will allow air for combustion of the chips. If I didn't have a smoker I'm sure I could get similar results with a can and not feel foolish. A used one pound propane cylinder with the top cut off will work and I actually experimented with one and opted to just get a smoker. I was actually experimenting with the can to use in the tree where I could have a smoke source near me without going to the trouble of just doing my clothing and then dressing in them. My set up is all in my unattached garage and it's where I dress before I go hunting on my own property. Someone that lives in the city might want to come up with a different plan and a smoke source in the tree or blind might be a better alternative method. There, I just invented another outdoor product someone will make $millions off of..

02-Sep-15
we used dry corncobs for smoking bees

02-Sep-15
I use my bee smoker when I'm working with bee hives. When I'm deer hunting I try to be scent free.

02-Sep-15

Shiras's embedded Photo
Shiras's embedded Photo
I'm a huge skeptic of most things. Started experimenting with this last year with surprising success. My thoughts might be a little different though. If you hunt in areas like I do where all the farmers have a burn barrel going then why would it matter what you burn? The deer are used to whatever smell is coming from the barrel. If you are elk hunting then maybe you only want to use wood for the smoking since there are always wildfires.

I do like the idea of the bee smoker though. I get weird looks form the neighbors when I open the garage door. I also like to stand in the smoke so it gets into my skin.

02-Sep-15
I'm with gobbler - I always try to be scent free. I thought this was a joke when I first opened the tread. I guess whatever works for you!

02-Sep-15

Shiras's embedded Photo
Shiras's embedded Photo
With some creative photoshopping my friend made me into "Cheech" Dowse which is probably actually what the neighbors are thinking.

Edit: Believe it or not the guy that photoshopped this has the last name Kush.

02-Sep-15
When I worked for a beekeeper we used cow dung in the smokers. It would add another element to your cover scent.

Terry

02-Sep-15
Yep, Shiras, when I first started teaching 27 years ago, telling students my name was "Mr. Kush" never made a student bat an eye. Now, it is common to hear a few chuckles and comments. Why did that have to become the common term for pot the past few years? My daughter just started teaching in Omaha and being Miss Kush has caused her some of the same grief. Luckily, she is getting married next summer so she only has to deal with it for one year. My son is also in his first year teaching in Elkhorn, so he'll have to deal with it for a LONG time.

By the way, it was fun going through your FB photos to find one where you had the right look on your face so it looked like you were enjoying yourself in the "Cheech Hunting Blind." Ha!

02-Sep-15
Colorado hunters - looks like you could kill two birds with one 'stone' (or stone two birds with one...nevermind. Where's Spicolli's VW bus when you need it?

• Sitka Gear