jdee 14-Sep-15
Amoebus 14-Sep-15
loopmtz 14-Sep-15
coonazz 14-Sep-15
Amoebus 14-Sep-15
climb.on 14-Sep-15
Kevin Dill 14-Sep-15
10-Sep-15
Well - Shouldn't come as a big surprise, but it is still disappointing.

I'm a big Kuiu clothing fan. Not too big on their hats, tents, or packs, but love their clothes. Wanted to try out their new Peloton line of clothing (knitted Toray), so I ordered some back in July. Well - just had to cancel my order because it's September now and I'm about to hit the mountains and this stuff is still on backorder.

I already jumped to First Lite for rain gear because of this.

10-Sep-15
Not surprised at all. Almost always the case, as much as I like KUIU gear.

10-Sep-15
When isn't KUIU on back-order?

10-Sep-15
I love there clothing but I think they should spend more time on having stuff in stock instead of coming out with more shit that you can't get.

10-Sep-15

Bou'bound's embedded Photo
Bou'bound's embedded Photo
What? KUIU on back-order? Not having what you want when you want it?

Let me show you my surprised face!!!!!!!!!

Seriously their products are extraordinary and solid value, but that inventory model is a mess.

10-Sep-15
Last year I posted about not having what I order back in late June. A few guys jumped all over me for posting that. Well September came and my hunt came and still didn't have all my stuff I ordered from June..

Did I see something posted that they said it was because of the strikes at the ports? I think they have been over for a long time now?

10-Sep-15
I ordered 3 pieces of Peloton in early July. One was in stock and showed up less than a week later. The 2 backordered items arrived about a month later. It's great stuff.

10-Sep-15
Best gear available. Worth the wait and never been more comfortable in the elk woods..

10-Sep-15
I waited three months after ordering a DCS Guide Jacket. The problem is not knowing if you'll get your gear before you leave to go on a trip.

When you order, customer service has no idea when back-ordered gear will be received. Can't complain about the quality, but they need to improve on fulfilling orders.

10-Sep-15
Good clothes, I know, but say what you want - it's a very frustrating company. Period.

10-Sep-15
Yes it's good and great and what have you but nothing is any good or great if you can't get it. They have small med and large so why does it take so long? I could understand if you where ordering them with your own measurements.

10-Sep-15
So you ordered a BACKORDERED item in July and are upset because it didn't come before the end of August? Really?

10-Sep-15
Surfbow, I know you've seen many of guys post about it taking along time to get gear. You don't think that all the posts about not getting gear in time for there hunt is not good for Kuiu. Don't you think waiting 2 or 3 months is a long time to get stuff. And some not getting it in time for there hunts is bad? As a business owner I know that back orders often are very bad for a business.

How many months in advance should I order, to make sure get my gear in time for my hunt??

11-Sep-15
I bought some KUIU "one time" and ended up waiting on it for about 3 months, when it showed up I had to think what the heck it was I had ordered . Thank god no other companies I have done internet buying with run their business like KUIU does. I do own a lot of Sitka gear now because of that.

11-Sep-15
I made an order about 3 weeks ago - they told me it was backordered and I asked when they expected to have the item in stock. The employee told me "next week." Well . . . still waiting . .

11-Sep-15
When isn't EVERYTHING at Kuiu on back order? I don't know how their still in business...

11-Sep-15
I was aware of the Peloton line before it was available to ship. I ordered and received a 200 and 240 Peloton within a couple weeks this summer. I liked the 240 so well that I ordered another which remains on backorder. I suspect I'll see it in 2016, but not worried.

11-Sep-15
Simple for me, I am just not using in anymore. Too many other great products out there with the annoyance and hassle. In fact I have the last of my stuff for sale right now in rockslide and AT.... So long KUIU

11-Sep-15
Kuiu has the crack addict business model. They give you a little taste and you're hooked. Then they give you just enough to keep you coming back but not enough to the point where you have everything you need/want...and you always want more.

11-Sep-15
Seeing every hunting show wearing that stuff, makes me not want to buy any. What does everyone like about it so much? serious question.

11-Sep-15
Come on really who thinks 2 months isn't enough time to order clothes really a 90 dollar shirt haha it's not a Harley it's a polyester shirt. You can have a house built in 60 days! The shipping at kuiu has cost them plenty of customers.

11-Sep-15
"What does everyone like about it so much? serious question."

Quite simply, it's some of the best active hunting clothing on the market at the best price.

11-Sep-15
coonazz - What do you think of the First Lite rain gear? I was going to get some but thought it was really noisy! You?

11-Sep-15
There's a marketing phrase that goes like, "Scarcity breeds desire" or something like that. Basically means people want what they can't have. So maybe that's their strategy or they just suck at demand forecasting and planning. I'm not on marketing but I do have 25 years of forecasting and inventory planning experience and if I did my job as bad as KUIU in this area I would've been fired a long time ago... I do own a bunch of their stuff and I've learned to order when its first released, during the early spring and only when it's in stock.

11-Sep-15
I'm pretty impressed with the FL rain gear. I used my buddy's FL gear when I was on my Canadian spring bear hunt and I loved it so much, I jumped brands and bought some. I don't find it any noisier than Kuiu's Chugach stuff.

11-Sep-15
Interesting, thank you. Have you used while active? How does it breath?

11-Sep-15
Teeton, you can go back read my post again. Kuiu very clearly tells you what is backordered in red print on their website. I'm just continually shocked by people these days. Everyone KNOWS you should order something farther ahead of time because KUIU operates on a different business model (thanks to these whiny threads that pop up every 3 months). Of course nobody cares that Jason is happy with the way he runs his business and that they make excellent stuff that's worth waiting for or ordering early, because that's not the point, right?

11-Sep-15
I snort Sitka now due to the calamity of waiting....

11-Sep-15
PrAna Zion from REI.

11-Sep-15
Surfbow, I do understand what ur saying about them stating that it's on backorder. But for me I was told that it would be in and then it was not. I believe other posters have said the same. As you said Jason maybe happy with how he is running his business, but I don't understand how a business owner can be happy with getting his products at such a slow pace..

For me I know that if I want something (say a shirt) not to look into Kuiu if I need that shirt in a month or less. That's a lost sale for kuiu. Is it not?

As for the quality of the 6 or 8 pieces of Kuiu I have, I do like it and believe they make good stuff.. I also see other companies making good stuff and I will pay 10 or 15 more for it to have it,, I did that last year so I could have what I wanted to have for my 2 week elk trip. If I did not order some place else I won't of have it for my trip. Fun thing the stuff I got from Kuiu after my trip is still in the bag not even open up yet from last year. Ed

11-Sep-15
I'm seeing some of the same guys slamming "canned" hunts now being strong supporters of "canned" shopping.....

where is your sense of adventure and fair chase? heheheheh....

Honestly have never had a problem getting what I wanted from them, but then I'll wait for months for perfect deal on the perfect deal on ebay to come up and snipe it. Usually another few months studying the gear before that. Planning right now for what I want for next year.

Everything they've had in stock on the website was at my door inside a week, usually a couple days. Couple times I changed the camo/color to one they had in stock, no problem. I've had stuff on backorder, sometimes took several weeks but I got it.... and knew at the time I ordered it would be backordered. No surprises at all. And I have PRE-ORDERED several things, on sale, and those came in as soon as available.

I think they make the best clothing/gear for the active hunting styles available, certainly for the best price. I have and like some of the first lite stuff as well, think their merino is best of breed. But it's more money too. KUIU value can't be beat. I will get more gear in the future, but will plan for it. Heck, I have to budget the money for it anyway....

11-Sep-15
Simple for me, I am just not using in anymore. Too many other great products out there with the annoyance and hassle. In fact I have the last of my stuff for sale right now in rockslide and AT.... So long KUIU

11-Sep-15
Good to be XL. A lot of stuff available in those sizes. Learned never to order the backorder stuff.

Downside of their inventory is there is almost never anything good in the Clearance link.

11-Sep-15
The problem is not that you have to order early or wait for your gear to come in. You just don't know if you'll get your gear in time no matter how early you order it. The people in customer service are reassuring, but they don't have once in a lifetime hunts lined up. Great quality, poor service.

12-Sep-15
I did the same as trial153

12-Sep-15
It seems to me that Jason actually has a very sustainable buisness model. Cater to a very limited quantity of active mountain hunters, supply them with what is arguably the best clothing at the best price, and do this by keeping inventory at a minimum. I would imagine that the smaller quantities ordered at one time allows KUIU to easily keep improving quality of products by limiting the number of suppliers they use. It's always refreshing to see someone start a successful business with a model different than the mainstream, it usually results in superior quality products.

12-Sep-15
I always buy after hunting season finishes... Mid winter is a perfect time to catch sales (after reading all the reviews from the fall on how the new gear actually holds up in the field). Sure it won't be the new model coming out the following summer that is the latest greatest, but its usually in stock, discounted even more, and if its not in stock there is literally 9 months until hunting season again.

I can't imagine having a once in a lifetime hunt lined up and waiting until July to order my gear for it?

13-Sep-15
Their inventory is always back ordered or on clearance. Not sure why Jason has the inventory problem but had bad stuff said to me asking what you did a few years ago. Someone even went as far as to say I ordered everything on my credit card like I can't pay cash or debit?? You get weird stuff on here from time to time. Bob.

13-Sep-15
The straw that broke the camels back for me and Kuiu was the pope and young coupon code. I think it was like 10% off maybe? In any event I booked a moose hunt for me and my father for next fall, since its a first for him and we are flying in with the typical weight restrictions...I would buy him all new gear. I figured I had the time and the coupon code so I went and tried to place the order on KUIU ...and I am not talking little order either it was pushing 2k ...anyway the order wouldn't go through. I called and emailed and the response I received was that the code could only be used for in stock purchases....really WTF? In stock from KUIU? The total for the in stock portion of the order was like 500... I cancelled everything. He will enjoy the Sitka gear I got him instead.

13-Sep-15
The straw that broke the camels back for me and Kuiu was the pope and young coupon code. I think it was like 10% off maybe? In any event I booked a moose hunt for me and my father for next fall, since its a first for him and we are flying in with the typical weight restrictions...I would buy him all new gear. I figured I had the time and the coupon code so I went and tried to place the order on KUIU ...and I am not talking little order either it was pushing 2k ...anyway the order wouldn't go through. I called and emailed and the response I received was that the code could only be used for in stock purchases....really WTF? In stock from KUIU? The total for the in stock portion of the order was like 500... I cancelled everything. He will enjoy the Sitka gear I got him instead.

13-Sep-15
I'm sure glad everybody is canceling their orders. Mine will get filled quicker! I think they have a business model that works great for them. They can sell virtually all they can produce, and don't have much tied up in inventory. Pay twice as much for an inferior Sitka product if you want, and you can have it any time you like. At least KUIU isn't raising prices to slow demand.

I plan ahead so it isn't a problem for me.... Bill

14-Sep-15
I'd say most companies would be simultaneously...

1. Happy that their product is so in-demand they can't keep it in stock.

2. Stressed-out that they can't fill orders in a timely manner.

I am 100% not certain...and I don't know a single person from KUIU personally...but my guess is that KUIU is operating from a plan and it's going pretty well on their end. I think limited supply and inventory is part of it.

Over the years I've gotten 100% of everything I wanted, even if a wait was involved. Maybe I'm just too patient these days...I don't sweat the things which used to make me crazy.

14-Sep-15
Yes th fact they only honor ales on in stock items is another point of frustration in addition to the pit of stocks. That policy especially in light of the fact their model is predicated on out of stocks is crazy.

14-Sep-15
I guess the question is - Can Kuiu's reputation sustain through all the negative impacts the chronic back order issues create?

For the record - I do plan ahead. The Peloton items I attempted to purchase were really not needed. I got the email from Kuiu advertising a discount on July 4th, and I put in an order hoping I would get the clothes by mid-September. Having to cancel my order isn't a life-ending problem, but it is a big annoyance to me. And this is coming from a pretty big Kuiu fan.

14-Sep-15
Sitka is a inferior product? Really? Not!

I don't care for there business model either. It very well could be great gear. However it is old news that you can't get stuff when you want it. You would think people would realize sooner then later that ordering there stuff is a hassle.

14-Sep-15
I'm sure glad KUIU is the only company I know of that does business like they do. Could you imagine having to go through the same thing in normal everyday shopping? Not worth it. Crazy changes are always happening in America any more I guess this is just another one. Hope it never becomes normal. Sitka inferior ?..... That's funny.

14-Sep-15
" Crazy changes are always happening in America "

One of the biggest changes in this country is the need for instant gratification. Immediately just doesn't seem soon enough.

Kuiu , in my experience , is short on inventory with their new releases. If I see some piece of clothing recently offered by them that I'd like to own I always wait for their second wave . The advantage is it is often, then , available in the solid colors I prefer and sometimes updated with an improvement , such as an added pocket.

In the meantime , I use the clothing I have. I've been hunting successfully for decades with Cabela's gear and Merino from Sears. I waited my whole life for a clothing company like Kuiu.....a few more months of waiting makes little difference to me.

14-Sep-15
No Bill, I'm just not used to waiting 2 - 3 - 4 months for something I want/need now. If you like it that's great .I don't and no one is putting a gun to my head to buy KUIU so I choose not to. Just happy there isn't another product I like that operates the same way. Guess I'm from the old school group that always understood that the customer was always #1 not the company trying for your hard earned money.

14-Sep-15
"The advantage is it is often, then , available in the solid colors I prefer"

I hadn't noticed that before, but I hope that it is true. I only order the solid colors and was disappointed when seeing only the camo patterns on the new stuff.

14-Sep-15
KUIU rules!

14-Sep-15
Seems to me that the marketplace is ripe for a competitor that can match the quality and that has a better manufacturer to consumer delivery plan.

14-Sep-15
"Seems to me that the marketplace is ripe for a competitor that can match the quality and that has a better manufacturer to consumer delivery plan."

It would have to incorporate cost in that equation.

14-Sep-15
Don't own any Kuiu and unless it's clear they change their supply practices I won't bother. Their "business model" doesn't my "buying model" I'd go flippin crazy waiting for that stuff.

The only thing this thread kind of makes me want to do is buy a bunch (if that's even possible) in the offseason and resell it on eBay in the fall! I bet people would go nuts bidding on it. Hmmmm.

14-Sep-15
Amazing. I just opened an email from KUIU and my Peloton 200 is on the way today.

• Sitka Gear