bowriter 30-Sep-15
Active Shooter 30-Sep-15
stick n string 30-Sep-15
willliamtell 30-Sep-15
stick n string 09-Oct-15
29-Sep-15

PA hunter's embedded Photo
PA hunter's embedded Photo
We are finding these under white oaks, they are not wild grapes or anything else I have ever seen. They smell and taste and have same texture as an acorn (yes, I know you should not taste something that you do not know what it is). The only other trees around are jack pines. There are lots of them and deer are eating them up.

29-Sep-15
They look similar to the fruit of the Black Gum Tree.

That would be my guess.

29-Sep-15
no black gums in sight, there are oaks, jack pines and a maple here and there.

29-Sep-15
no black gums in sight, there are oaks, jack pines and a maple here and there.

29-Sep-15
If they look, smell and taste like an acorn, must be an acorn, Confucius says.

29-Sep-15
Smell and texture maybe but they don't look like any acorn I have ever seen

29-Sep-15
If they smell, taste and have the same texture as acorns they could be acorns that didn't fully develop and fell out of the caps before they matured.

29-Sep-15
Oak galls or oak apples caused by bug larvae, they are not acorns. I have seen a bunch on red oaks in Wisconsin this year.

29-Sep-15
I am finding them right now alongside fully developed white oaks, very strange

29-Sep-15
Hmmmm.....under oak that deer have been frequenting. Lots of acorns around. Taste like acorns and have same texture.

ITS A DEER TURD. .....you ate poop!

29-Sep-15
I kinda liked it :)

29-Sep-15
Wild grapes?

29-Sep-15
I'm pretty sure that one is a penny... ;^)

29-Sep-15
Looks like muscadines.

29-Sep-15
Oak galls

29-Sep-15
Mike, that was hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!

Oak galls is my guess. Break one open. If it has the same hard shell as an acorn, then that's what it could be, just different.

29-Sep-15

Teeton's Link
Like some have said,, galls.. Take ur binoculars look up at the leave of the tree and look it over. If you have acorns you will see the acorns or the cap right by where the leave come out of the branches on white oak. Galls most time I think are on leaves. Ed

29-Sep-15
Thanks, looks like they are galls.

I have seen them large, brown and dried up, but never like this, they are juicy little berry's.

29-Sep-15
Thanks, looks like they are galls.

I have seen them large, brown and dried up, but never like this, they are juicy little berry's.

29-Sep-15
When you can get Fuzzy or WV Mountaineer to post you will have the answer. Or, you could you could PM them. Both are active today. Both of those guys know the eastern forest.

29-Sep-15
Well I'll be gall darned!

29-Sep-15
When you get R.Hale to post it is guaranteed that it is nothing more than tripe.

29-Sep-15
Pa hunter, i saw a ton of those under oaks where i was huntin in maryland just under Bedford county this weekend. Never saw tyem before was wondwring what the heck they are. Just as u said, found under mature white oaks. No acorns anywhere either....

29-Sep-15

29-Sep-15
Looks like some form of Oak Gal to me. Is there a little hole in them? Cut them open if there is no hole where the larvae has matured and left. God Bless

29-Sep-15
The ones i saw did not have holes that i noticed. They were pretty soft, and when squeezed, they would split open. Kinda fuzzy on the outside, hollow on the inside

29-Sep-15
I believe it is blue cohash fruit. Deer do eat them.

30-Sep-15
Not and acorn that I have ever seen. Looks to be more in the fruit family. If deer are eating them, hunt the trail to them and find out what it is later. :)

30-Sep-15
Oak Galls. Checkout Teeton's link

30-Sep-15
They may be that, but what popped up from the link for me does not seem to be the same thing. But could be i reckon

30-Sep-15
glass the tree and see if you see any galls still on branches. The ones I notice are bigger than that, but they probably start out small like the ones you found.

09-Oct-15
Pa, my uncle that works for the Maryland DNR looked into it. Said he had quite a few, but after this last rain, his yard was covered. They had a big meeting and he had brought it up with a few if the guts and nobody knew, but they asked one of the foresters and right away she said they were a cacoon of some sort for some type of fly. They feed off that thing all winter and then pop out in the spring. He said he didnt have time to get into it further, but i told him if he gers a chance, try to find out some more. Would be interesting to see just what kind of bug is in em. He has been in the DNR down there for 40 or so years, and he said he has never noticed them.

• Sitka Gear