Mossyhorn 08-Oct-15
midwest 08-Oct-15
Mossyhorn 08-Oct-15
Ucsdryder 09-Oct-15
WapitiBob 09-Oct-15
jims 10-Oct-15
Bownarrow 10-Oct-15
04-Oct-15
Looking for a daypack for next year and really want two things out of it.

1. I want it to be waterproof with taped zippers

2. I want it to be somewhat compact, yet can haul at least an elk front quarter.

I used a badlands daypack this year and when it rained, it got soaked and very heavy. We killed an elk this year and the pack frames were back at the truck 2 miles away and about 1500 feet down. So it meant an extra trip out for one person to get the frames.

We all three want a pack that is going to cut at least one trip out of the equation and serve a dual purpose.

It does not have to be camo nor does it need to be a hunting brand. Any thoughts???

04-Oct-15
I quit using day packs this year, I bought a Kifaru Duplex with Nomad pack and camp bag. It doesn't feel any heavier than the Badlands 2800 I used last couple of years and it will carry a hind quarter out the first trip. Proof of sex quarter is what you should carry out first anyways so a critter doesn't get ahold of it and get you in a bind with the game warden! I've bought a few day packs over the years, they were getting bigger and bigger and I finally said enough and worked the overtime, sold excess gear and budgeted and went to the top rope for gear for me and the wife both! We back packed in just a half mile but that got us out of a 500ft climb every morning and into elk just a few hundred yards from camp. It was so nice to come home from camping, carry our packs and bows in the house and we were done versus unloading the truck, backing the trailer into the back yard etc etc etc. A real game changer for us and we are both over fifty and we were able to do it!

04-Oct-15
I would have to agree with oldgoat. It's tough to beat Kifaru. The nice thing about Kifaru is it's possible to use the same frame and switch out bags. I have a duplex frame and a EMRII bag for super heavy/bulky loads and a Timberline 2 for daypack type hunting. I used the EMRII this year on a dall sheep hunt and it worked out great for hauling a lifesized cape, meat, and camp. The duplex frame is designed for 100+ lb loads.

You will find it's pretty tough to haul an elk quarter with just about any "daypack". They just aren't designed for 60 to 100 lb loads. Kifaru and possibly Stone Glacier are about the only ones out there that are fairly light weight and designed for 100 lb loads. Kuiu makes one but I saw lots of complaints in the reviews when guys were hauling hefty loads.

Take a look at the youtube videos on the Kifaru website and you'll find a bag designed for your specific hunting. I bought my almost new duplex frame and 2 bags for a fraction of the price of new ones. Take a look on Craigslist, Ebay, Rokslide, Kifaru forums, or elsewhere for a used one. You will be amazed how much more you can pack and how much easier it is on your body with a pack designed for hauling hefty loads!

04-Oct-15
I bought my first Kifaru (Duplex w/Mountain Warrior)last spring. Took it to Wyoming on an elk hunt last month. Also took my lightweight Badlands Diablo daypack that I've used for years.

First day of hunting, I wore the Kifaru in daypack mode. Just wanted to get a feel for the new pack while hunting. Switched over to the Diablo on day two. When I got back to camp, switched back to the Kifaru for the remainder of the hunt. No comparison....the Kifaru weighs twice as much as the Diablo...but rides much better. Also, best meat hauler I've ever used by far.

Did I mention I like my Kifaru?...LOL!

04-Oct-15

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
Day Pack/Meat hauler all in one. Kifaru Bikini frame, 750 cube light long side zip on the btm and a Gen II meat bag upper. My 90% jacket is in the Gen II in the pic but I normally lash it at the top of the long pocket. Weighs 12# with 2L of water and has everything I need for day hunt, working up an animal and packing it out as well as first aid, hygiene, and extras kits. I hauled out 4 Antelope last week with it.

04-Oct-15
I also quit using day packs. If you get a really nice full size pack, it will carry at least as well as a day pack plus you will have all the available space you need. If you're looking for a day pack big enough to carry a quarter, you are looking for a pretty big day pack. Save your money on the incremental size difference and simplify with one big, nice pack.

04-Oct-15
Bikini /nomad combo here. Could not find a better day pack. It's awesome.

04-Oct-15
I'm an outcast here I guess. I love my Kifaru Duplex when it comes time to haul a really big multi day load. There's nothing better! Or if I need to carry 100lbs of meat. But when it comes to day hunting I find that frame a little too big, stiff, and cumbersome. It's just overkill for me. Mind you, my day hunting often involves a lot of crawling through very thick brush, bending over, hands and knees, up and down type stuff. For Day hunting, I really prefer my Stone Glacier Krux frame and either Solo or Approach bag. The frame is a little more sleek and compact, flexes enough to be maneuverable, and can still haul a real load. It's a lot lighter than the Duplex system too.

04-Oct-15
Sdhuntr, that's exactly why I went with he bikini. The shoulder straps have built in rotation. The pack isn't stiff at all. Actually way more comfortable than my old day pack and I can tighten it down and there is zero wobble or movement. Drawing a bow is a non issue as well.

04-Oct-15
Not a bikini fan here unless we're talking on young females. Put a big wad of hot, bloody, boned out meat in a bag and it will be riding right on your back.

04-Oct-15
If it's boned out and in a meat bag it's a none issue for me. You do have to be careful when loading the pack to make sure there isn't something hard between the shoulder pads because it will poke you in the back. I usually put my packable rain gear against my back. Never an issue.

04-Oct-15
Kifaru late season makes a great day pack.

Small and light Yet carried elk quarters nicely

04-Oct-15

"Not a bikini fan here unless we're talking on young females. Put a big wad of hot, bloody, boned out meat in a bag and it will be riding right on your back."

Easy fix. Leave the mesh slightly loose and a 3L bladder will nestle in between the stays and not get squished by a load of meat and will still be off your back.

04-Oct-15
Would love to get a Kifaru but man are they pricey!!! I like the idea of a load sling like the kuiu 3000 but have not been impressed with the quality in their packs. I owned a icon 7200 and was not happy with the durability of it. Maybe the icon pros have been beefed up??? Also, their zippers aren't taped and I've heard guys complain of them leaking.

Do the kifaru packs need a rain cover?

05-Oct-15
New Bikini frame on rokslide classifieds for 200. Add a bag or cargo panel and you're set.

05-Oct-15
Yea buy kifsru used. Seriously the best pack out there. Buy once and cry once. Have it for the rest of your hunting career.

05-Oct-15
Buy once, cry once, my a$$, they are like crack dealers! I just ordered an upgrade stove and liner for my Sawtooth that i bought this summer and want a Lost Park Parka something fierce! Buying from them is like breaking the seal on the first pi$$ when drinking beer! It doesn't stop!

05-Oct-15
Tried a couple of other packs people liked, then spent the cash and bought Kifaru, GREAT pack! Not cheap but worth it

05-Oct-15
I have kifaru T3 and it fits the bill well. Maybe not completely waterproof but I've yet to soak it through. I keep some stuff in waterproof bags.

05-Oct-15
I upgraded to the Sitka Flash 32. I was using the Sitka Flash 20 prior to this year. As an outfitter, I pack out a lot of meat. I wanted a daypack that was able to grab one load and head down the mountain. Then, grab a meat hauling pack and go back for more loads. I felt the Flash 20 wasn't quite big enough to get a good load comfortably strapped onto the pack. The Flash 32 is a nice upgrade with a lot more space. I find that it accomplishes these goals. Plus, its really comfortable as just a daypack.

Good luck with your search.

05-Oct-15

Dgogert's embedded Photo
Dgogert's embedded Photo
I love my horn hunter full curl! Check it out, you won't be sorry.

05-Oct-15
Kifaru T2 on a bikini frame for me. I've used that as my day pack and meat carrier the last two years and it has worked very well.

I kinda like WB's setup for a true day pack though... Looks a little smaller and lighter.

05-Oct-15
There are lots of good packs out there. I never had an animal complain when getting packed out on my old M R crew cab or my really old aluminum freighter for that matter. Back in the "old days" we used real fanny packs and had the freighter sitting in the back of the truck. The first load out went over our shoulder.

05-Oct-15
I'd get at least a pack that is a frame. The Kuiu 1850 with meat hauler would be a great ad..

05-Oct-15
Any good pack will cost some high end dinero. Spend your time and do some research, up to and including other forums. From time to time I hear about other products on other forums that I've never heard of before that appear to be just as good as some "tried and true" products.

05-Oct-15
Kuiu Icon Pro 1850 or 3200 would be outstanding. The new version of the Kuiu packs are a far cry better than the original version. A good choice for less money that the Kifaru although not nearly the same in quality, etc. Depends on your budget I guess.

05-Oct-15
Dgogert... the horn hunter is a great concept but poorly executed. IMO you will be sorry if you get one, esp if you're considering a high end pack... As the HH is far far from high end, it is guide gear brand quality.

05-Oct-15
Been using a Black Diamond Mercury 55L pack for two years now. Built for climbing, it has a dynamic belt and harness system, it's the same they use up to 75L packs. IMO worth a look, especially if you find one on sale like I did. The Eblestock was sold immediately.

05-Oct-15
On the Sitka flash 32, how does a quarter fit to the bag? Is it put in the main compartment or lashed on the back?

I've already got a Barneys frame and bag that I don't want to part with but that is for hauling loads. Not sure I can justify spending $600+ on another bag. Used is definitely an option. The stone glacier is another good looking system similar to kuiu but would have to find a used one at those prices.

Thanks for the advice so far! I'm seeing some things here I didn't otherwise know about.

05-Oct-15
I started using the Eberlstock X1 pack, and I love it. The ability to carry heavy loads put me in bad spots this year, it carries more then I can. Small and compact, with the ability to open up and expand. I was very impressed with it. Another pack that got used a lot this year was the Tenzing 4000, and after hearing all the horror stories, I saw none of them. Guys were carrying roughly 80 plus pounds in them with no problems at all. Some many lash straps made it easy to secure horns and capes.

05-Oct-15
I'm not sure any pack is waterproof. Most just come with a raincover, which you could buy for your badlands and save a ton of money over a new pack.

I have used the Eberlestock X-1 for several years and a framepack. I carry the first lighter load(50ish pounds) down to truck and get framepack. Is the X-1 built for your big loads, definiley no but your question was for a daypack able to haul first load. I also bone out the meat, so the front quarter you refer to is lighter.

Some of the packs listed above could be replacements for your daypack AND your framepack. This is a lower price option that might work for you.

05-Oct-15
You're right in the waterproof thing. I know that even with my badlands a rain cover would only help to an extent, the traps, back and waist belt pulled up so much water, like a sponge.

So I'm definitely stepping away there, it also would not carry a load of meat.

05-Oct-15
Wow! 80 lbs! That's two complete boned out hind quarters from a very large cow or medium size bull (minus the "T-Bone" section of backstraps).

Heavy load indeed.

05-Oct-15
I love my Kifaru Late Season for a day pack. Also have a Duplex that I run with a Longhunter Lid and a Cargo Panel or Grab It and a small pod. Use the stuff sack from my sleeping bag as added storage with the Duplex. Both are around 4 lbs empty and very comfortable to carry more than I care to. Buy once, cry once...go Kifaru!

05-Oct-15

Dgogert's embedded Photo
Dgogert's embedded Photo
Ohiohunter, I have been using the HH pack guiding Nevada deer hunts with it for three years. One of the most comfortable packs I have ever owned. I talked to the sales department at sitka gear and they told me their packs would not hold up to the abuse. I had a badlands pack that the zippers kept ripping out. I can put a whole mule deer in that horn hunter with the head and horns strapped in and walk for miles comfortably. Had no problems with the HH so far. Here is a pic of a whole antelope buck that I just packed out for a client. (Scored 81" was 16" tall)

06-Oct-15
I lash the quarter on the back of the Flash 32. Not enough room in the main compartment to fit a quarter. It allows me to take one load off the mountain lashed to the back of the pack. Not the best meat hauler but it certainly does the job since the daypack function is really comfortable the rest of the time.

I think it really depends what you are looking for. If hauling meat is a primary concern, having a frame will really help. If its just a once in a while concern, you may consider something like the Flash 32 due to the everyday comfort while hunting. That's how I made my decision.

06-Oct-15
I want a daypack that can get a quarter back to the truck and then I will get my frame pack and go back in.

This year, one personae t back to the truck and brought three frames back. Then we had to pack our day packs out on the frames with meat. I need something with a load sling or some external lashing system that will haul a quarter. Can't put it inside the bag cause I'll have my day gear in it.

06-Oct-15
Lots of folks suggesting, given today's pack designs, you don't need both a day pack and a meat hauler. You can bet most of us thought otherwise in the past. Just sayin'....

I bone everything out on the mountain, so I don't have experience hauling bone in quarters. The way I get around my day gear on the first load is to carry a sea to summit bag for hauling game bags full of boneless meat. It is washable...and keeps the inside of the pack clean.

Best of luck with your decision.

06-Oct-15
I like the rigidity of an external frame for heavy loads. Me personally, I like how they carry on my back. But that's just me, I know everyone has their preferences. I get the argument for one pack that does it all. It makes sense. But I feel like if I'm gonna go to the truck anyway, I'm going to grab my external frame pack and head back in with it regardless.

06-Oct-15
I like the rigidity of an external frame for heavy loads. Me personally, I like how they carry on my back. But that's just me, I know everyone has their preferences. I get the argument for one pack that does it all. It makes sense. But I feel like if I'm gonna go to the truck anyway, I'm going to grab my external frame pack and head back in with it regardless.

06-Oct-15
I have one and the belt absolutely sucks, on top of that the 600 pockets on the belt will rub your forearms raw. Furthermore the shoulder straps will rub your neck raw too. Tried wearing it for shed hunting and couldn't take it off quick enough. I should add due to its rigidity it feels better under a load vs empty.

Don't get me wrong, I like the pack as a hauler (certainly not a day pack) I just think the harness system doesn't hold a candle to others. With a little more thought this could be a fabulous pack, but its not. That would also explain why the hh is fraction of the cost, the cut corners are obvious.

06-Oct-15
Mossyhorn,

I also use a stuff sack and the Grab It with my Late Season. I've done this before and it works great. If kill a deer or elk, take all the contents from your pack and put them in your stuff sack. Put the quarter or boned meat in the main bag of the pack and cinch everything down tight. Then put the stuff sack in the Grab It and you are ready to go. Heaviest items are in the main bag snug against your back and the lighter items are in a stuff sack in the Grab It on the exterior of the pack. This is an extremely versatile set up, as is any of the Duplex/Bikini options.

This pack has the option of the lighter composite stays or aluminum stays. This is an internal frame pack but ready to carry heavy loads. The suspension of the pack with functional load lifters is what is going to make it good to carry heavy loads. The Late Season is one of the few "Daypack" size packs that has stays long enough to have functional load lift off the shoulders. I have the 22" stays and get good lift. They have a 24" stay option now I believe so even better shoulder lift for a taller guy in the current model. The Pointman is the same pack on their Military side with heavier cordura and PALs attachments. This pack is one of the few that has survived since the first generation of Kifaru packs. It has a few refinements but still mostly the same pack. It really is a great pack for a someone who mostly hunts from the truck or basecamp but also good for some overnights in good weather with light, compact gear. I have seen multiple posts where a person has packed out an entire boned out mule deer or antelope with a Late Season with one trip. I have personally done it in two trips with a mature deer with the bone in the quarters. It really is an excellent pack. I would at least take a look.

06-Oct-15
The EXO mountain gear 3500 worked flawless this fall. Excellent as a daypack and will carry as much meat as your legs will. Very well built, solid and stable with a heavy load, and very comfortable.

06-Oct-15
Thanks for all the info Heat. I've looked at the kifaru options and there's so many that it's downright confusing. So the late season bag is like $488 and then I have to by a frame too right? $800 is out of my price range no matter how I try to justify it. Used doesn't get that much better as they seem to hold value very well.

06-Oct-15
I used my KUIU icon 5200 (had the 1850 bag last year) and it was great. Sure is nice to not have to stuff every little nook and cranny to make it all fit. Only issue i have with it is it rubs my hip bones just a bit. I had about 65 lbs in it at its heaviest and it performed just fine.

06-Oct-15
The frame is integral to the Kifaru Late Season.

06-Oct-15
X2 Midwest

A frame is part of and comes with the Late Season. The only option I recommend for it is a Grab It. Keep an eye out on the Kifaru Trading Post. Someone sold an olive drab Late Season for $300 in August and another not long ago in Multicam sold for $350. If you don't need the pack right away you should be able to find a good deal.

06-Oct-15
Following this thread with interest. Changing my entire system for '16 and need one pack that is capable of hauling meat, yet svelte enough to carry a bivy style camp while hunting. We hunt the jungles of North Idaho and some of the packs and frames suggested simply seem too large and the material choice too loud. Know there is a solution, just need to figure it out.

06-Oct-15
Ok, that is much more manageable. The pics on the kifaru site dont show shoulder straps that I can see. So it was deceiving.

07-Oct-15
Used the exo mountain 3500 and it was great.when I got my bull we used my pack to haul the meat away from kill site.it was good as a day pack has a meat shelf and is water resistant.On the pack out I carried the head and extra gear for a total of 58 lbs 8 miles to the ruck with no issues. I am 56 and the pack did great old guy not so much!

07-Oct-15
I'm following this intently as well. I've had an older internal frame 3400 for a daypack and overnight pack. I'm looking for the ultimate as well. The one that cinches down small, expands huge for a couple day trip, and can haul quarters. Anyone have experience with erbelestock 'just one' line? Those have caught my eye due to the modular system. Thoughts?

07-Oct-15
Used the exo mountain 3500 and it was great.when I got my bull we used my pack to haul the meat away from kill site.it was good as a day pack has a meat shelf and is water resistant.On the pack out I carried the head and extra gear for a total of 58 lbs 8 miles to the ruck with no issues. I am 56 and the pack did great old guy not so much!

07-Oct-15
Which one of these premium packs is a sturdy, durable and comfortable meat hauler, but is also the smallest/sleekest/lightest out-of-the-way, shoot while wearing it, day pack....?

07-Oct-15
Has anyone used the kifaru late season paired with the cargo panel and used the cargo panel to put a quarter into? It's further from your back as opposed to against the frame. I guess it depends on how full the main bag is. Can you even fit a bone in quarter into the late season bag? If so I suppose I could drop a garbage bag in and then but the quarter in. Not really a fan of bloodying up a bag inside when I want to stuff clothes and food in the next day when I continue hunting whether I'm helping partners fill tags or filling my own.

07-Oct-15
I really like my Mystery Ranch Metcalf 2.

07-Oct-15
With cow elk, a bone in quarter fits in the Late Season bad, for all except the very biggest ones. I've got a sample size of about 20, the hind quarters of one didn't fit. But she was a monster....2nd biggest one I've ever gotten.

07-Oct-15
Cargo Panel works a lot better with a frame like a Duplex or Bikini but can be done on a pack bag like a Late Season or any other. I like the Grab It better for hanging stuff on the outside of the bag. You definitely want the meat on the INSIDE of the pack unless you go with a Duplex frame and a detachable pack bag with meat shelf, then you can sandwich the meat in between the frame and pack bag, and not mess with the contents inside your bag or worry about getting it bloody inside.

07-Oct-15
So what frame bag combo would you recommend??? As it stands right now, I like the look and functionality of the mystery ranch crew cab, Exo 3500 and the kuiu icon pro 1850/3000.

07-Oct-15
Not sure if you like a bunch of pockets and compartments or a more simple design with less but I'm the less is more kind of guy. If I didn't have a Kifaru pack today and wanted to get started I would get the new ultralight platform frame, a High Camp 4800 with the Guide lid (which is currently on sale by the way, which almost never happens!), and the Meat Shelf kit. If you like more compartments check out the Nomad or Mountain Rambler.

Don't know much about the EXO 3500 but that pack looks like it has some nice features. I would be suspect of the functional load lift the suspension would give you compared to Kifaru. Load Lift on the Crew Cab is basically non-existent unless they have significantly changed their suspension recently on that pack.

With the Kifaru I believe you will have better options to dial in the proper fitting pack for your needs.

07-Oct-15
I will echo what some of the others have said, I run a bikini/nomad set up for day hunts. I do find it a little large for whitetail hints mostly because I just don't carry enough to even come close to filling it up for deer. However it packs down to nothing. I recently bought a spike camp with 22 inch stays. I love it for deer hunting. It's the perfect size. I planned to run a grab it for my bow but ended up pulling the bow hauler off my badlands superday and used a lash to anchor to the top. I even swap my composite stays out for arrows, 2 fmj 340. I'm not sure how much weight you can carry-50-60 lbs max. I recently packed a entire doe in Missouri earlier this year with no problems whatsoever. Had I not got a killer deal I would go with the late season but I'm perfectly happy with the spike camp

07-Oct-15
I like having multiple pockets so I don't have to empty my back to get to one thing. I carry a kill kit ( game bags, lives, sharpener, gloves) I have my jacket or extra shirt if it gets cold, fire starters, my food and water for the day. A lot of that stuff I don't access while other stuff I'm in and out of. I like my GPS in my side waist belt pocket for quick access.

So that's what I see as being attractive features to some of the other brands, as well as the load sling between the frame and the bag. All the while not being too big. I'm trying to find a kifaru option but it's harder to see and visualize.

07-Oct-15
To me that's one of the best things about Kifaru, you can pick what pockets you want and where. For example my nomad, I've got two med pockets on the belt for quick stuff, 2 large pockets between the wings, a back pouch 500cc and I've got a long pocket at the bottom. I don't run all of them all the time. When packing meat, I move to the sides so the weight is close to my back.

On my spike camp I pull the pockets from my nomad, 2 med pockets on the sides and a small on the top. So my 2300 or what ever it is can easily become 300 or 3500 with the right pockets. It's a lot to take in at first but after the first one you will want more lol.

I just watched a new duplex old style sell on eBay for 220 bucks. If I wast remodeling my house I would have took it to the house. Look for deals!

07-Oct-15
Wild1, I own Kifaru, Exo and Stone Glacier. They all have their plusses and minuses. What you describe is important to me too, and for that the best is a Stone Glacier Krux frame with an Approach bag. Big enough bag to carry some day gear, but not bigger than necessary, you can add pockets if you want more space, and then when its time to haul meat, fold out the meat shelf and sandwich the load in between the bag and frame. It will carry as much as you can bear. Flexes where you want it to to make it maneuverable, but stiff in the right direction to carry a load.

08-Oct-15

Surfbow's embedded Photo
Surfbow's embedded Photo
Mossyhorn, here's a pic of my Kuiu Ultra 3000 with a rifle buck I shot. It's got all quarters, neck, loins, in the load sling and hide strapped on the back. Worked out pretty well. I put the head on top later too...

08-Oct-15
I'm 5'7 and 165 with a 32 inch waist. Should I be looking at the 24 or 26" model? Size belt? Other considerations?

What's different about this new model duplex that just came out?

08-Oct-15
You could probably get by with 24 inch stays but with heavier weight the 26 will give you more lift. I'm 5'10 and the 26 is great for me, but I also get a small amount of lift from the 22 in stays in my spike camp, but I wouldn't haul more than 50 or so lbs in it

08-Oct-15
The new duplex is suppose to have better padding and shoulder straps and you can also adjust the lifter positions. That's about as much as I know off the top of my head. Need someone else to come in there. You would probably be a small belt. I run med but waist is usually 34. clamped down I think I still have a couple of inches

08-Oct-15
SDHNTR, thanks for the input, appreciate it!

All these packs are winners, but the one thing is FIT. Does anyone recall any outdoor/hunting convention/show that Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch and EXO are all at.

I want to put my hand on these packs and try them on (!), plus it's a good excuse to go to another show/convention.

08-Oct-15
Pretty sure Kifaru has participated in the SHOT show in the past. For reference I'm 5'9" tall and 150 #s or so. 32 inch waist, Medium everything but TShirts (large Tshirt) and wear the Small waist belt and use 24 inch stays for plenty of shoulder lift on my Duplex Frame. 26" stays are usually recommended for guys 6' and up or regularly packing really heavy loads.

Pretty sure the newer Ultralite platform frame from Kifaru has carbon arrows instead of the Composite Carbon/Wood stays in the frame.

08-Oct-15
Here's a video showing the Kifaru Meat Shelf in use on a High Camp bag. This meat shelf option would work the same with any of the detachable pack bags and frames from Kifaru.

https://vimeo.com/61975714

08-Oct-15
Wild1, probably the Sheep Show would be the best chance at getting those together in the same place. That's my guess anyway.

08-Oct-15
Only the ultralight duplex has the arrows for stays, composite and aluminum stays still come in the standard duplex. Order the regular one with with composite stays and you have buy the arrow kit or just cut some of your old arrows. No special ones needed, just stiff. The kit has 200 spined kinetics.

08-Oct-15

SwiftShot's Link
I have been using the ALPS big bear.

The big bear is a super fanny with a fold out meat pouch.

08-Oct-15
Heat's video above is the old style meat shelf. This is how the new Duplex system works.

08-Oct-15
That 22 mag/duplex combo actually looks about perfect. Would the 22" frame be too small for me? I'm 5'7 165lbs

08-Oct-15
I would think the 22 mag would be a great day pack and just fine for first load out. I'm 5'8" and have the 26" frame. It's an amazing frame and carries heavy loads better than anything I've ever used. Definitely lives up to all the hype.

As you can tell in the video above, Aron is not a fan of the meat between the frame and bag concept.

08-Oct-15
I couldn't tell if he wasn't a fan of that or not a fan of having an actual shelf in the bottom? I can't understand why you wouldn't want your meat between the frame and bag.

09-Oct-15
Watch rokslide or AT classifieds and pick up a used bikini for under 300 and then find a bag you want. Rambler or nomad are good cheap choices. I bought all the components and put it together for about half of a new bag. I think I have 4 different colors but I couldn't care less.

09-Oct-15
Because the pack contents are then hanging off the back. Personal preference like most all of our gear. There isn't a right or wrong.

There was a brand new Bikini on RS last week for 200.

10-Oct-15
I did the same thing a bought 2 Kifaru bags and a Duplex off Rokslide/Craigslist.Ebay. I got them almost new for a fraction of what they usually cost. I am on a tight budget so it worked out great for me! Just be careful about buying stuff online, etc. Mark my word it is nice paying a little more for Kifaru! As mentioned above, you can go basic or with as many pockets and accesories as you want with Kifaru. Also nice having camo and the option of switching out bags depending upon what hunt you are going on! If you don't go Kifaru...my 2nd choice would be Stone Glacier...I don't believe SG is camo which is very important to me!

10-Oct-15
I have the Stone Glacier solo. Lighter than Kifaru, although you can see from these posts Kifaru makes a great pack. I'll never know though, because the SG is too good to ever leave as a day pack that you can haul heavy loads with (I hauled out my bull this year with it and it carried as advertised. If you want simple, durable and very dependable, I'd look at Stone Glacier.

• Sitka Gear