HerdManager 08-Oct-15
06-Oct-15

Scrappy's Link
Wrong on so many levels

06-Oct-15

Scrappy's Link

06-Oct-15

Scrappy's Link
Anybody know how too just add the video to the page?

06-Oct-15
wow, crazy. He's one lucky guy.

06-Oct-15

06-Oct-15
Thanks Brotsky

06-Oct-15
Sad how he keeps blaming the treestand.

06-Oct-15

06-Oct-15
Lucky he's OK.

Lot of leverage on those sticks from where he was standing.

06-Oct-15
The guy unhooks the strap and is leaning back and holding on to the ladder like it was still attached to the tree. 100% user failure not an equipment failure.

06-Oct-15
X2 Bowfreak. Usually works out better if you're not standing on the section that you're detaching from the tree.

06-Oct-15
I've gone up and down ladder sticks when hanging/removing stands and the thought of this has popped into my head several times. I always wear a linemans belt which would (and does) prevent this from happening. Hes fortunate.

06-Oct-15
Very fortunate

06-Oct-15
There's no way that guy did anything wrong - he's got a t-shirt that says "ProStaff" on it!

06-Oct-15
The minute I saw the Xgun and the Croc's I was out.

06-Oct-15
Really really does not need to be contributing to the human gene pool.

06-Oct-15
I just got sticks this year & used them for the first time putting up my stand. His sticks may be longer & harder to reach the strap, but I made sure I was not standing on the one I was unstrapping & also wore my lineman's belt to support my upper body. Good to see I was using the correct form in doing so.

06-Oct-15
Glad that fall didn't kill him. Looks like he should have used 2 straps per stick or been lower on the stick he was standing on when he took the strap off. I'm sure he learned from it.

I've taken many climbing sticks down and I always make sure I'm holding on to the tree when the last strap is unhooked, sometimes I use a lineman's belt but not every time.

06-Oct-15
This is the same type of person that would stand on the branch they are sawing and then be confused as to why the branch broke.

06-Oct-15
You just can't protect yourself against stupid! Agree also with carefully checking the stand he just chucked out of the tree.

06-Oct-15
Dude was definatley lucky. Bowfreak = Exactly sitO = I'll be laughing at that all evening.

06-Oct-15
LOL! He was removing the straps from the piece he was standing on...his own fault. But yes, good thing he is not hurt.

06-Oct-15
Stupidity on a couple levels. One how the idiot is still on the section he's removing the strap on and two for not wearing a lineman's belt. If your feet are off the ground you NEED to be attached by a life line or a lineman's belt. Sorry no excuses.

06-Oct-15
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

If he had: a) had a tree strap on his harness, it wouldn't have happened, b) held onto the tree, instead of leveraging his bulk against the poor stick, it wouldn't have happened, c) If he had used a top rope with a prusik knot, it wouldn't have happened (OK, I never use one either)....

110% stupidity on the part of the user....

Maybe he's looking for a Darwin Award! :)

>>>>-------->

06-Oct-15
RutNut you beat me to it. Man I was thinking about Wile E. Coyote on that one!

06-Oct-15
"learnin curb" LMAO

06-Oct-15
As funny as this clown is, the sad truth is the next generation is watching these so called pro's and TV dummies. Case in point it seems now the norm is to let all deer lay until the next morning just like on tv.

06-Oct-15
fat folks sux in trees there big fat stomachs get in the way

06-Oct-15
Yup, 100% user failure!! He should of been wearing a safety harness but he also should of not been standing on the portion he unstrapped from the tree. Thats just not being too bright! Shawn

06-Oct-15

WVarcher's embedded Photo
WVarcher's embedded Photo
Still have no idea how I fell?? Just glad he's ok..wvarcher

06-Oct-15
He made a mistake. I do agree it was his fault. Any of you ever done that? Difference in his was he was 15 feet in the air when he did it. This is a tough crowd. God Bless

06-Oct-15
I'm amazed he thought it was a good plan to show this video so we could learn from him. The bright ideas just don't stop with these guys!

07-Oct-15

07-Oct-15

SANDMAN's Link
This made me think of another video.

07-Oct-15
WV Oh I've made plenty of mistakes and none of them have been caught on camera. We are a tough crowd because with what we know now there is no excuse to be up on that ladder without a safety vest on, especially if you have a TV show.

07-Oct-15
Ok just for the record I found the link on another Web site making fun of the idiot. I do not watch these stupid shows.

07-Oct-15
Looking at the video a few things stand out.

1)He should have had straps top, mid and bottom of the sticks.....my MO

2) He put the sticks on the side of the tree leaning out IE as you are climbing up more weight and torque on the sticks. Put the sticks on the side that leans in or straight.

3) Ever heard of a rope? Having a rope to pull up, lower or hold in place your treestand gives you a free hand to grab onto something if need be without dropping the stand on yourself or someone else.

4) Linemans belt the whole way for this operation.

07-Oct-15
Because the extra 5 seconds required to carefully lower the stand is just too much work.

07-Oct-15
THe Lama,

#4, a linemans belt, exactally!

07-Oct-15
That was genius!! I wonder if I can hire this guy to take me hunting! His shirt says "pro staff"! Wow

07-Oct-15
"The minute I saw the Xgun and the Croc's I was out."

Lol!!

07-Oct-15
Did the guy on the right have a branch go through his ear when his stick broke.....? Or is that a quarter in his ear lobe?

08-Oct-15
My first thought is who videos themselves climbing down a tree??? "Always wear your Hunters Safety Suit" which if not tied off to something is as worthless as a parachute at that altitude....not gonna open....

Pretty Bubba video.

Something wrong on many levels..... expecting to see an ad on late night TV soon.... "have you ever fallen out of a tree while using climbing sticks? if so call this number...."

08-Oct-15
"Wrong on so many levels"

-Innumerable. I am going to use this video as a training aid for my kids. The challenge is, from top to bottom, the number of valuable cautionary lessons are overwhelming. I'll have to write a curriculum to get the most important material.

I will commend these fellows for falling on their swords because posting this on youtube will probably save a life or a trip to the ER.

08-Oct-15
"He made a mistake. I do agree it was his fault. Any of you ever done that? Difference in his was he was 15 feet in the air when he did it. This is a tough crowd."

In this day and age of information available at your fingertips, literally from any where any time in the world, there is no excuse for a mistake like that. 'specially an experienced hunter.

Life's tough. It's tougher when your stupid.

08-Oct-15
THUD!

08-Oct-15
Is it so hard to show a little compassion, in this world. No good deed goes unpunished. These guys whoever they are did some hunter out there a service, by sharing their mishap. What did they get in return? Criticism! By definition accidents are just that accidents, yes most are preventable. I have fallen a short distance, fortunately uninjured. Yes, it was entirely my fault. Some Friends/acquaintances weren't so lucky. The poster was indeed lucky himself not to be seriously hurt. One friend fell, broke both hips and wrists, or another fell only to ram a 6" tree stob up is keister, requiring painful surgery, worse yet a gentleman in my community found his 19 year old grandson hanging upside down, Dead. When he fell his boots tangled in his stand straps, was unable to free himself. Interesting enough at nearly the same time another friend and had become tangled, luckily he was able to free himself. It happens folks, mental capacity has little to do with. I can only hope someone wasn't at home on their computer making fun of them for being less than intelligent. When and if you fall, try telling yourself it was your own fault and if it makes the pain go away. I bet not.

08-Oct-15
You make a good point, I am glad he is ok. I use similar sticks and could see how that may happen. My Dad is 60 years old and I have watched him hang and take down numerous treestands not being tied off. It scares me to death watching him ballance on tiny dead branches. He needs a harness, I think I'll be buying him one before we head to South Dakota in a month. Be safe out there this fall everyone and good luck!

08-Oct-15
Used error.. I use these same sticks, and as with any stick, you hold onto the tree not the stick!!!!! User error, what a moron.

Josh

08-Oct-15
I agree Aftermerl, It makes me wonder about a lot of guys on here . The guy who fell from the tree in their eyes is a complete idiot and deserved what he got but the guy who fell to his death (R.I.P.) in Alaska is a hero in their eyes. Both did something wrong and it cost one man his life. I hate to wonder what they would be posting if the goat hunter in Alaska was getting all the hate like the guy that fell from the tree. IMO it is a damn shame about both of them. A lot of guys knew the goat hunter so his mistake is acceptable and it seems no one knows or cares about the tree stand hunter. I have taken down many stands through the years and most the time it has been just business as usual... but from here on out I will always think about this guys fall and I will be safer because of it.

08-Oct-15
jdee brings up an interesting point. Both are mistakes, and one becomes a sad tragedy, but because Bowsite has a tendency to be somewhat "clique-ish", one guy is celebrated, and one is criticized. Interesting.

08-Oct-15
This is like reading the PETAphile comments after a hunting related article on Yahoo.

08-Oct-15
That's a big guy- also a little rust by that bolt. Could be those sticks were out all winter. But rule number one-if your not strapped in-don't let go of the tree with both hands and the farther from the tree your body is the more danger of falling- but my guess is those sticks should have been tossed when the rust showed up near the joints.

08-Oct-15
Always buckle up

08-Oct-15
What I have found out about life is that when you spend your time being critically rude of mistakes others make, it usually comes back and bites a big piece of your pride right off. In other words for the dense crowd: It won't be long before half of the ones dogging this guy does something just as stupid.

I don't care to hear why YOU felt obligated to insinuate this guy was dumb. Because I know he did a dumb thing. He knows he did a dumb thing. We all do dumb things from time to time when we are in a hurry.

Karma is real fellas. No problems in pointing out his mistake but, you don't have to run him down. God Bless

08-Oct-15
I do not think pointing out multiple issues that he did wrong is ripping on him or calling him an idiot. Some are calling him that in his posts but I think the majority are pointing out the correct way to approach this set up.

As far as Roy it sounds like he made a mistake and paid the ultimate price. Do not know him to talk about him one way or the other.....along with this dude but if he made a mistake and people point out the correct way it is not call it criticism or lack of compassion for our fellow man.

08-Oct-15
Woodchuck.........

08-Oct-15
I'm sorry, but he did not make a "mistake". This word is the most misused word in the English language. He didn't make a mistake. A mistake is picking up 1% milk instead of 2%, or making a wrong turn while driving. What he did was make a conscious choice to climb a tree while being unattached, a very dangerous choice. Mistakes are forgivable, horrible conscious choices not so much. The word mistake is used way too much by people not willing to own up to the horrible choices they make.

• Sitka Gear