climb.on 08-Oct-15
IdyllwildArcher 09-Oct-15
Traxion 09-Oct-15
Rut Nut 09-Oct-15
Candor 10-Oct-15
dingo 18-Oct-15
DonVathome 20-Oct-15
06-Oct-15
I was just reading the Elk Shape 2016 posts - which got me to ponder the following:

Elk hunting is like a doing a 10k or half marathon EVERY day for a 5-7 days. I am sure most of you hike 6+ miles each day hunting. I know I do 3 in the morning and 3 again in the evening on an easy day - and that's with a 15#ish pack and much of it up a steep incline! To say we do 13.2 miles on some days is not a stretch. Plus some of you sleep on the ground many nights in a row.

Makes me wonder why the thought of running a 10k or half marathon sounds so intimidating! The 10k has a cheering crowd, free refreshments along the way, and an awesome food/drink tent at the end with a message table! Not to mention the view from the back is sometimes motivational.

Anyone else more initimated by the thought of participating in a 10k every day for 7 days than a week of elk hunting?

06-Oct-15
Yea for me running Is way different than hiking.

06-Oct-15
10k every day is normal for me...at least right now. Putting in about 40 miles per week for a Marathon in Nov. a 10k only takes about an hour, and I know I am after it a lot longer on a typical elk hunt day.

Running is easy compared to elk hunting.

06-Oct-15
i was on a hunt in wyoming where we covered a lot of miles per day. i am 5'10" 250 and dont run but train for climbing and strong legs. the two guys who ran marathons in camp could not keep up and did not hunt the whole week.

you dont have to be a runner to be an effective elk hunter but you do need to have power and stamina in your legs plus the one main factor that drives the whole thing: Desire. me wanting to kill an elk keeps one foot going in front of the other more than anything. be in as good a shape as you can but your desire is important too.

06-Oct-15
10K is only 6.2 miles. An hour or so of running 7 days a week shouldn't intimidate anyone.

I shoot for an hour a day of cardio when I am getting ready for a hunt in the mountains and I do that for at least a month.

06-Oct-15
Elk hunting is hard work but I don't think you can compare it to running a half marathon every day. I can't do a half marathon every day for two weeks. But I can hunt elk hard in steep mountains all day long for two weeks. They aren't the same thing

06-Oct-15
"Elk hunting is like a doing a 10k or half marathon EVERY day for a 5-7 days."

I respectfully disagree:

1. I firmly believe we rarely cover even half the distance we think we do on our hunts.

2. Running is great conditioning. Fast hiking is great conditioning. But the best conditioning is hiking trails and/or bushwhacking in the high mountains with a daypack and a bow slung over your shoulder.

3. If you can, run and/or hike all year. If you can, a month before your hunt, train the way you'll hunt: High country, trails, bushwacking, daypack, boots, and a bow.

06-Oct-15
You CAN train for a 10k, and you THINK can train for elk hunting.

Nothing will train you for elk hunting, like elk hunting.

06-Oct-15
Elk hunting is so much easier for me than running. I ran my first marathon last year, and was pretty much in marathon shape this year before the elk hunt (planning to run a half in two weeks, did an 18 mile long run 2 weeks before my elk trip).

I did two trips this year to WY for elk. The first trip was 2 half days and 6 full days, and we walked a GPS recorded 48 miles, and 11,800 feet of elevation gain.

My second trip was solo for 2 half days and 4 full days, and I walked a GPS recorded 30 miles, and 8,900 feet of elevation gain.

Honestly, I got along so much better with the elk hunting than with marathon training. It's not even comparable. Yes, some of the hills while elk hunting were killers (especially if not chasing a bugle), but I would stop, catch my breath, then keep going. No real soreness to speak about, or over-fatigue

Bake

06-Oct-15
Elk hunting might be like doing a half marathon at at 20 min/ mile pace with regular breaks and more elevation change.

06-Oct-15
elk hunting you can take breaks, stop etc

running is non-stop

06-Oct-15
elk hunting is fun. running sucks! end of arguement.

06-Oct-15
I think it is harder to hunt elk than running a half marathon if you've only been training for running a half marathon.

But it's harder to run a half marathon than hunt elk if you've only been training for elk hunting.

The daily distance might be the same but they are a different way of using the muscles. So train for what you are going to do.

06-Oct-15
How many run at altitude above 6,000 feet?

06-Oct-15
A 10k is always 10k long. Many elk have been killed less than 1k from the starting line.

06-Oct-15
DL,

Very few.

Which is just one more reason guys should watch the Sheep Shape Bowsite Feature.

Adapting to high altitude is an important part of the seminar.

Kyle

06-Oct-15
I like carrying a bow. Makes for a different attitude!

06-Oct-15
"elk hunting is fun. running sucks! end of arguement."

this^^^^ hate running, enjoy training hiking... love elk hunting!

06-Oct-15
Not intimidated by either. Each can be hard in it's own way.

In 2013 I was training for a personal best in marathon. During the heart of training, I ran 6 days a week with no run less than 10 miles over a 2 month stretch. A daily run of 12 miles was no big deal.

This year, by the end of a tough elk hunting day I was tired. I felt like I ran a marathon and then some. But that is the way it is. It took me 20 minutes of stumbling around in the morning darkness to loosen up and get moving again from being stiff and sore. But I wouldn't change anything about it.

I do everything I can on the flatlands to prepare. But as Brad stated, nothing I do is the same as elk hunting itself.

Back on topic. For me, I guess each is hard in their own unique way. Can't say one is easier than another.

06-Oct-15
If I ran around in the mountains for 10 days and then received a ribbon when I got back to my truck....not much interest.

If I knew I might have a chance for a shot at a bull at the finish line....I'll put on the shoes and shorts and pin a number on my back!

06-Oct-15
I lived in AK for a number of years and took my brothers on a sheep hunt last fall. We backpacked in 14 miles and killed two rams and packed them both out. It was grueling.

That was last year. This year (I now live in WA), we went elk hunting for two weeks in Wyoming and killed two bulls. They both told me it was the hardest hunt they've ever been on, harder than our sheep hunt in AK last year!

Point is, elk hunting is HARD work!

07-Oct-15
Running kills my knees. I can go every other day for a few days before the knees swell up.

I can get away with running once or twice a week on the beach. Much better on the knees (and the scenery not to bad...) Other than that I ride the bike and hike the mountain. Pretty much hunt every week.

Marathons..... why? =D

07-Oct-15
It is all about pacing oneself, if hunting the mountains for elk hunting or running a 10k, or what ever. Done both.

Running a race does not allow one to stop along the way so you are on the go from start to finish.

While hunting, one can gather thoughts, take a drink, as well as a pause and rest if needed. Even a nap.

I will take elk hunting over running any day. I have never had to run after an elk while hunting.

I use to run and jog with I was younger, but now I do some speed walking and leg conditioning and I do just fine.

My best, Paul

07-Oct-15
I would say elk hunting is not at all like running a 10k or a 1/2 marathon.

You're expected to run the latter!

I can elk hunt all day. I bet I could keep up with Kyle as long as he kept one foot on the ground at all times. If he started running, he'd lose me as soon as he got out of 8x42 range.

07-Oct-15
It's all about vision. When I'm climbing a steep slope after a bugling bull I am Superman! The bull bugles and I work to close the distance quickly and quietly despite the grade and the downfall.

The wind shifts. The bull spooks. His bugles are gone. The slope is treacherous. The downfall is hindering. The bull is gone. His bugling has departed. My vision of him has faded and so has my ability to sprint up the mountain and pass dead fall lumber like a track athlete jumping hurdles.

07-Oct-15
I too agree that a 10k isn't like elk hunting---

Very few 10k's if any have an elevation gain of 1000--2000ft gain, you stop and glass a lot while elk hunting not during a 10k, not much in rocks or deadfall during a 10k.....and so forth.

Although during a 10k you can get lost in thoughts about elk hunting! haha

Good luck, Robb

07-Oct-15
In the 20 years I have been elk hunting I have trained by running and cardio and and and. What works best for me is the stairs in my house with a 40# pack on. Hands down. Oh and if you slow down and hunt smarter instead of running all over every hill you can find you will kill more elk. I know I do

07-Oct-15
I live well less than 1000' above sea level. I do zero specialty training for elk hunting. No need to. I just utilize my year around training and I'm more than good to go in the mountains. I always scratch my head when I see people starting their workouts a month before season opener.

07-Oct-15
+1 Nva. Some distances I see I chuckle because if they were really hiking that much every day they weren't hunting.

07-Oct-15
It depends how competitive you want to be in the 10K. If it is a competitive 10k and you want to win it will be way harder. If you want to walk it and take all day it will probably be easier. I've seen olympic runners on their knees puking after a 5k.

Ive hunted and hauled elk out of the baddest of the bad hunting spots and never found it to be THAT bad. If it is, you need to slow down or you are in over your head.

Elk hunting isn't the over the top cardio event that some make it out to be.

07-Oct-15
I am not sure why people don't believe how much ground people are covering a day? Considering the vast majority of mountain hunters carry this little handy thing called a GPS. I looked at mine every day and it told me exactly how many miles I hiked and the the total ascent in elevation. Most of these distances are not off the cuff comments, they are supported by that same device that can get you back to within a few feet of your camp.

As far as running....I know it is good for many but it is not good for me. Arthritis doesn't like the pounding. For me...low impact cardio (a lot of it), lifting, weight control and good old weighted hikes is the key.

07-Oct-15
Running may be a good cardio exercise, but it's terrible for ankles, knees and back. Start in your 20s doing 6 miles a day, and you'll be lucky to be able to walk in your 50s or 60s. For hunting fitness nothing beats a good mixed program of hiking, preferably in the same terrain you'l be hunting with a similar pack, and strength training.

07-Oct-15
"Start in your 20s doing 6 miles a day, and you'll be lucky to be able to walk in your 50s or 60s."

True for most.

"Running may be a good cardio exercise, but it's terrible for ankles, knees and back."

Totally disagree. I worked at a running specialty store for two years and I had the opportunity to talk with literally thousands of runners. People that started off like the first quote almost always ended their running careers with an injury. Six miles doesn't sound like a lot at first, but it is. People that started slowly and slowly worked their way into more mileage and intensity did really well. I met a lot of people in their 70's and 80's that still run every day. Running can actually keep you very healthy you just have to be smart.

The simplicity of running belies how hard it is on your body. If you just started weight lifting you wouldn't (or shouldn't) go for your single rep, max weight squat on your first day. Running is no different.

07-Oct-15
We need a TBM equivalent for marathon VS elk hunt.

07-Oct-15
I kept gps on my entire hunt this season out of curiosity and we covered 56 miles and 18,100 vertical elevation gain in 10 full days. The miles stack up when packing into camp and packing a bull and camp back out. Most days we were sleeping within a mile of elk. It really is the vertical that beats you up not the miles. I definitely couldn't run a half marathon everyday. I rarely run getting in shape. Much rather hike hills with a heavy pack.

08-Oct-15
They are both challenging in different ways. The marathon I ran in June started at 10k, topped out at 12,600 and had almost 4k of gain. With all the snow this year we were climbing over snow drifts at the top. That was harder than any hunt I've been on, elk or mountain goat. I could hardly walk for a few days afterwards. Elk hunting is more of a day after day grind, not all at once, but still difficult in its own way.

I agree with a lot of the above thoughts. Running isn't the ideal exercise for elk hunting, but for me it builds endurance like nothing else. Trail running with elevation gain is even better for elk hunting.

It's not the only answer though. I mix in weight lifting, swimming and biking for overall conditioning. Once summer comes around I spend more time hiking the foothills with a loaded pack.

As far as why?? I do it to test my limits. 10 years ago I was 50lb heavier and started running, I could only do a half mile at a time before I needed to walk. I thought I could never do a 5 mile run back then, let alone a marathon. It's great heading into the mountains after you've run 26 miles and know you can push through the pain. It makes hiking 5-10 miles a day during your elk hunt much easier.

08-Oct-15
After my arches fell in my late twenties, running long distance gives me stress fractures in my shins. My feet are actually getting somewhat better in my fifties, something with not having to wear the crap government issue boots I had to wear for twenty two years in the Navy! I loved running 5&10K runs back when, if I could run them on dirt I might try again. However I don't think the two compare, and I'm seriously trying to cut down my walking while elk hunting by packing in my camp at least a little while so that I'm in elk in minutes versus closer to an hour before. If I was going to equate elk hunting to something, it would be one of the organized walks, not a run.

08-Oct-15
I don't see any prize at the end of a marathon that is nearly as good as at the end of an elk hunt. No prize, No run.

08-Oct-15
"Running may be a good cardio exercise, but it's terrible for ankles, knees and back."

Total myth and actually the opposite it true. How could running be hard on your joints but hiking on uneven terrain with a weighted pack not be? lol!

Running is not for everyone. Especially if you are overweight. Getting your weight down and a slow progression into a running program will help PREVENT all kinds of joint problems, including arthritus. If you already have joint problems, then running is most likely not for you.

"Running gets a bad rap, but running can strengthen the knee, and those who run throughout their lives have stronger knees than those who don't," according to physical therapist Michael Silverman, P.T., M.S.P.T., coordinator of the Tisch Performance Center at the Hospital for Special Surgery.

The largest study of runners ever completed, which was recently published in Medicine Science in Sports & Exercise, concluded that running does not increase the risk of osteoarthritis (cartilage breakdown), even in marathoners. And, get this: Runners had half the incidence of knee osteoarthritis compared to walkers.

The reason: "Running has been shown to thicken the cartilage in your knee," says Jason Fitzgerald, a USA Track & Field-certified coach and the founder of Strength Running. "The body adapts to running and gets stronger, after all. And since running doesn't involve excessive bending of the knee nor much twisting or turning, it's a very safe form of exercise for knees." Plus, high-impact exercises like running spur bone growth and strengthen the muscles around the knee, thereby taking pressure off the joint, Silverman says."

08-Oct-15
Running does wonders for my hiking ability. Increases stamina a ton.

Running is way harder on your body than hiking. Even if you are carrying a heavy pack.

Unless you have run a full marathon, you can't understand what the prize is. It's simply an incredible experience.

I have only done one elk hunt and I did not fill my tag. But it was an incredible experience nonetheless.

The training time required to be successful in a marathon is massive. You can't buy or draw better chances at completing a marathon.

Training for 10 mile and half marathon have far less impact on my body and has had almost the same positive effect on my hiking ability. I really like those distances.

09-Oct-15
"Unless you have run a full marathon, you can't understand what the prize is. It's simply an incredible experience."

I appreciate you describing it the best you can since I'll never experience it!

09-Oct-15
Comparing apples to oranges. I run a half marathon at 6000' at sub 1:30 pace. That's right around 6:45 per mile. It is a serious mental and physical challenge to push yourself that hard for 13.1 miles.

When hunting in the mountains do I face more challenges? Yes, elevation gains, extra weight carried, higher altitude, etc. But, you're going at a reasonable pace, can take breaks, and overall know you are in it for the long haul. I've had my pack loaded down and had to climb some big hills. I bet my max HR was even higher than my half marathon max!

Either way, the better shape you are in before you head into the mountains the better you will do. I run and mtn. bike year round. When I'm in top shape the mountain hunting is easy. And, if I'm not in good shape, the mountains hurt. I don't care how you prepare, just do something. A month ahead of time doesn't cut it for me but each to their own.

09-Oct-15
Which is harder? It depends ENTIRELY on the individual!

Not everyone has the same body type, anatomy, physiology and/or orthopedic status.

I was a runner in H.S. and college. Was a sprinter/hurdler but did a lot of distance running in the off-season and pre-season to get in shape and ran x-country in H.S.

Over the years I ran as part of my cardio training. Never had any major injuries or orthopedic issues until I hit my mid-thirties. Developed patellar tendinitis. Got so bad I pretty much gave up running after several years of trying to get back into it slowly and methodically.(tried everything- rest, ice, massage, ultra-sound etc.........) Just couldn't take the pounding of running. Could do stairmaster, walking on TM at 4mph and 15% grade, cycling, Olympic rowing etc.......just couldn't run on it.

A couple years ago I was able to start running again, but can't do more than 3 miles a couple times a week or the tendinitis flares up. I've learned to live with it and resigned myself to the fact that I will never get back to running 20-30 miles /wk.

But I can hike all day for several days with a 50 lb backpack. Seems to be the jarring that gets the patellar tendon.

Bottom line is everyone is different. I know distance runners that can't carry 30 lb packs more than a couple miles.

10-Oct-15
Cardio at an incline is important. But hip and leg strengthening, like squats, front squats, deadlifts will give you a level of endurance and muscle recovery that doing straight cardio won't.

18-Oct-15
If I ran around in the mountains for 10 days and then received a ribbon when I got back to my truck....not much interest.

If I knew I might have a chance for a shot at a bull at the finish line....I'll put on the shoes and shorts and pin a number on my back!

20-Oct-15
Covering 10-15 mikes a day elk hunting vs. running a marathon are very different. Elk hunting I have all day, marathon 2-3 hours. Huge difference.

It is like saying you can benchpress 100 pounds 10 times therefore you can also bench press 1000 pounds once.

I strongly prefer biking it is much easier on your body.

That said I think running plays a role although I still think biking is better long-term. I also think it helps with mental toughness. Getting yourself ready to go out and run 15 miles for 2 1/2 to 3 hours straight is not for the weak hearted!

• Sitka Gear