Vids 09-Oct-15
DonVathome 10-Oct-15
DonVathome 10-Oct-15
Jaquomo 10-Oct-15
ElkNut1 10-Oct-15
kyrob 10-Oct-15
SwiftShot 10-Oct-15
09-Oct-15
What do elk do when there's heavy fog everywhere? It just happened where I'm at yesterday they were bugling like crazy nothing today after fog rolled in. In the morning before the fog kids they were buggling. It is impossible to see past hundred yards anywhere

09-Oct-15
Where I used to hunt fog was a regular occurrence in the mornings after a big rain the night before. IMO, they seem to bugle less (or not much at all) but follow the same movement patterns they did before. Just quieter. They can't see either, and since bugling attracts cows, other bulls, and hunters, it's a problem for them too.

09-Oct-15

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I loved to hunt in the fog and I love to photograph in the fog.

09-Oct-15

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

09-Oct-15

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
And through the years I have done both, I really haven't noticed any difference.

Have a great bow hunt. BB

And hi Lou and Hi Don! Best to both of you. BB

09-Oct-15

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Sorry I meant this one. BB

09-Oct-15
One of my best hunts ever was a very foggy/drizzly day. Bugling and movement everywhere through the morning into the afternoon. I'll take a cool foggy day anytime over clear and hot.

10-Oct-15
Keep in mind this is not ordinary fog. It is so thick you cannot see anything 200 yards away even in the middle the day nothing not even blaze orange

10-Oct-15

DonVathome's embedded Photo
DonVathome's embedded Photo
Like this everywhere from the bottom of the mountain to the peak

10-Oct-15
The kind of fog I'm talking about is where you can't see much beyond 70 yards. Light fog/mist is great.

BB, that isn't fog, that's just "special effects"! :-)

10-Oct-15
Hmm, interesting!I've hunted foggy days for years in Idaho & have not noticed it to be an affect on bulls bugling during rutting phases. When cows are in heat it would generally take an act of God to shut them up. Of course when thick fog hits & it's more of a pre-rut phase I can see partial blame being putting on the fog! (grin) All in all the rut will trump foggy days plus I can slip in unnoticed much easier! (grin)

It's possible the cow/cows that were in heat/estrus in your area are now out of it? They are in 12-15 hours & done. Too, did the elk move out of the area or are you certain they were still there? I've never noticed that fog would be the reason for them to shut right down? Heck, I've been surprised before though! (grin)

ElkNut1

10-Oct-15
That appears to be unique fog DonV. That is the kind that is so thick that U nique up on them and shoot them before they know you're around.

10-Oct-15
In my neck of the woods they act as normal or hang out in the field longer with fog.

• Sitka Gear