Tracker12 17-Dec-15
smarba 17-Dec-15
kscowboy 17-Dec-15
habu john 18-Dec-15
ridgerunnerron 19-Dec-15
21-Nov-15

webfoot's embedded Photo
webfoot's embedded Photo
went on my first aoudad last week, great hunt and value!!! in the sheep world... do many people, locals hunt these guys? how is the meat?...your thoughts on aoudad?

21-Nov-15
A beautiful ram there.

I ate mine without any issues. It has a flavor all of its own. Secret is "slow cooking".

22-Nov-15
Awesome ram there! Congratulations! That will make a great mount. West Texas?

The rams can be a bit on the tough side. Flavor is generally good, though.

They are a blast to hunt. I have hunted them in North Texas, West Texas and Northern and Southern New Mexico. I really need to get some time set aside to go after them again. Hopefully, next year. Will put in for the draws in NM and TX and may look at going in West Texas on private land if I can find something reasonable. Love the mountains of West Texas - not what most people expect from Texas!

22-Nov-15
ia there and crown/goverment land in Texas were one can hunt for aoudad?

22-Nov-15
Nice ram! Anyone know anyone who's taken an Aoudad, spot and stalk, free range, in West TX, NM or Palo Duro, with a bow? That would be really impressive!

23-Nov-15
Congrats on a great ram, this hunt is on my radar for sure.

23-Nov-15
Got on a ranch between Valentine and alpine west TX. in the 80s there were a lot of sheep and very few outfitters. killed a 30 inch ram on the 8 day of the hunt. tried to give the meat to a couple of Mexican cowboys on the ranch, they did take it but said if you eat that you will break your teeth. There were a lot of sheep but not many in a good place to stalk. Did find 4 rams under a rim rock late in the day and got a good one. Biggest problem was sheep in big open basins with no contour ,or breaks to make a move on them.

23-Nov-15
Webfoot ,that is a outstanding trophy . I know several very good bow hunters who have gone to west Texas and come home with there boots full of cactus and no ram. If Henry Mackentire is still around Valentine Texas he would be a great help getting on the right ranch. He was a great hound man and lion hunter. Have not talked to him in Years.

24-Nov-15
Webfoot,

Yes, there are a number of public hunting opportunities in Texas for aoudad. They are typically very short seasons and you have some additional requirements when hunting (camping restrictions, must wear orange, must check in and out, and have to hunt in assigned compartments). You have to apply on the TPW web page. Lots of other options for hunting public land for about everything under the sun in Texas. Cheap to apply and you get a points that will help over time for drawing. Typically low hunter success on these hunts.

New Mexico has much better drawing odds for public land hunting. New Mexico also has aoudad (Barbary sheep) licenses over the counter for a large portion of the state. A lot more opportunity in NM for public land hunting, but can get crowded. Private land is better in NM for the most part. A 26-28" ram on public land in NM is a very good ram. 30" is almost unheard of.

24-Nov-15
What broad head/arrow combo did you use?

24-Nov-15
I'm heading to west TX in two weeks for an Archery Aoudad hunt. Can't wait. Would be very happy to take a trophy like that one. Congrats.

24-Nov-15
"ia there and crown/goverment land in Texas were one can hunt for aoudad?"

Nope, no "crown" land in Texas:)

Great ram.

25-Nov-15
For that matter, no "Crown Land" in the USA. It's a Canada (and possibly New Zealand/Australia) thing. Remember we had a little tiff between the Brit's a few years back that kind of got rid of the Crown's claim to any land here...

Texas has very little public land in comparison to other western states. Has to do with how it was settled.

Elkman - aoudad are pretty tough critters, but about anything you would use for elk would be plenty good for a bow-arrow-broadhead combo.

Tracker - if you are going to far west Texas for spot and stalk, you better be in shape! I know there are some places that you can get them coming to feeders and possibly a water hole, but the west edge of the Edwards Plateau (north of Del Rio) is probably the best bet for archery. GOOD LUCK!!

26-Nov-15
great trophy and great pic too!

01-Dec-15

No Mercy Hunting's embedded Photo
No Mercy Hunting's embedded Photo

No Mercy Hunting's Link
We offer both fair chase and fenced aoudad hunts here in SW Oklahoma if anyone is interested.

08-Dec-15

No Mercy Hunting's Link
We offer both fair chase and fenced aoudad hunts here in SW Oklahoma if anyone is interested.

09-Dec-15

Tracker12's embedded Photo
Tracker12's embedded Photo
First evening of the first day had 13 come in. After drawing four times finally got clean shot.

09-Dec-15
Tony that is a dandy. Where were you hunting? Was it outfitted and was it free range? CONGRATS on a great ram!

09-Dec-15
Its a free Range hunt. Non Guided. It's a private ranch and the guy shows you around the different stands then you are on your own. Cabin that comes with the hunt is awesome also. He taped out at 29".

16-Dec-15
Congratulations, Tracker! Great ram! That is a very tough trophy with a bow for sure! He will look great on the wall. Worthy of a life-size mount since you got it with your bow or look into a 1/2 mount including the front legs to show off those chaps.

16-Dec-15
I am getting a pedestal mount that comes down the legs to a degree and will show the chaps. My hunting partner took an equally nice ram with his longbow after four days of not seeing a single aoudad.

16-Dec-15
Tracker, I just picked my pedestal wall hanging mount up on Monday and it looks awesome. Definitely the way to do it and it isn't extremely expensive like the 1/2 body mount.

Mine is similar to this and the way to go, in my opinion. My friends are all now wanting an Aoudad after seeing my mount.

http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg567/TheArtistryofWildlife/Auodad_1.jpg

17-Dec-15
Very Nice!

17-Dec-15
KS That is an awesome job. That is the exact pose I am getting. Hopefully it will come out as well. Who did the work I really like the form that shows the creases in the neck.

17-Dec-15
Agree that Wall Pedestal shows just enough without expense and wall space of 1/2 body.

I'm fairly certain that muscle detail or wrinkles are all part of custom clay work by the taxidermist and not part of any form.

17-Dec-15
Tracker, that isn't my mount. But looks the same. Send me a cell number in a PM and I'll text you some pics.

My taxidermist in OK does great work on whitetails and best bang for your buck on elk. I challenge you to find a better $500 mount in the country. He does great work but this was the best piece he's ever done for us.

They had it in their office/showroom and got many compliments. The two taxidermists who work there are planning to hunt Aoudad in the near future.

I kind of want another one now!

18-Dec-15
Great ram and super mount. I have been looking for the past two years for the right hunt. I would use my longbow like your friend did.

19-Dec-15
Real nice rams here guys! Congrats! Def aoudad are an affordable wild sheep hunt in North America. And any mount should include showing off the neat long chaps.

• Sitka Gear