Mule Power 27-Nov-15
Straight Shooter 27-Nov-15
Rick M 28-Nov-15
Two Feathers 30-Nov-15
Wayniac 02-Dec-15
Bob H in NH 02-Dec-15
APauls 03-Dec-15
24-Nov-15
If it's just about sitting in the stand and staying warm as an observer, there is no difference. If he's hunting and needs to free his arms and take a shot, there is a huge difference. A HBS is made to do that. A sleeping bag is not.

24-Nov-15
I have a couple older military mummy bags - been using them in the stands for better than 30 years - they work great. Been busted couple times, but better than having to go home due to cold. I have poor circulation so I get cold pretty easy.

24-Nov-15
Agree, if you are not worried about making a shot, you could get away with other options that you could pick up for way less $$. I've been using the HBS for 10+ years. Some years I never need to use it, but when I'm not "tagged out" and hunting late season it allows me to stay in the stand all day. Good luck

DJ

24-Nov-15
I do the sleeping bag. I have back-pack style straps sewn in the back, and that does the trick. Yup has cost me an opportunity on rare occasion, but nothing's perfect.

I never go hunting without it if its under 35f., been doing this for maybe 10 years? More? I fergit. With the bag, one layer of light fleece over long johns and I'm GTG down to 15f. Colder than that, an extra layer of wool. Beats freezing and going home by a hundred miles. I'm sure a HBS is even better.

I use a regular rectangular bag, having premium insulation, polar guard 3D. Wind proof cover sewn over the top. Those 2 things are a big deal. I have the head-opening permanently cinched up like a collar, that's gets more important the colder it gets, and when the snow is falling on you.

24-Nov-15

HerdManager's MOBILE embedded Photo
HerdManager's MOBILE embedded Photo

HBS is amazing. This pic is my (then) 12 yr old son asleep in his. I have them for both kids. They can't deal with the cold. The day I took this pic it was 14 degrees. That'll tell you how warm they are. When you can nod off in temps like that, you are warm.

24-Nov-15
Oh yeah, all 3 deer my daughter killed with a bow, she was wearing the HBS.

24-Nov-15
I agree it is all about the design. Easy to make that prayer motion and it slips down out of the way. I can stay warm normally but my feet have always been a problem, with the HBS they had a deal where you got the boot blankets with the suit for free. I now never get cold feet, the HBS is worth every penny if you hunt where the temp gets below 20 degrees. Shawn

24-Nov-15
I own one, an it is one of the best piece of equipment I ever owned. Get one an stay warm.

25-Nov-15
I was thinking it might be time to buy one so I googled heater body suit..... The pictures had nothing to do with bow hunting!

25-Nov-15
If you search images, yes heater body suits show up. If you search web, then the pics aren't of the heater body suit per se, but I'm guessing they would keep me warm in the stand..... :)

26-Nov-15
Very warm indeed! I see they are running a sale right now. I wish hbs would offer a lighter camo option. Predator, open country or something like that. I was talking to a buddy about it and he offered me the use of his. Going to try it out this weekend before pulling the trigger.

26-Nov-15
After trying on one a friend had I was going to order an HBS because I hate being cold. Then, like others here, I thought it was a lot like hunting in a sleeping bag. Being cheap and one who likes to make things I decided to make my own. I ordered a large sleeping bag from Sportsmans Guide, some windstop fabric from Predator and bought some camo fabric on eBay. It turned out great and I only have about $80 or so into it. Like others I suspect I would also be very happy with the actual HBS. I would be sure to get one roomy enough. My first attempt I had my homemade one too snug and I couldn't get my hands into my jacket or pants pockets!

I have read where people worry about the movement to get out of it. I Actually think there is less visible movement with an HBS. The zipper is pulled down from the inside. I then slide my left arm out to get the bow from the bow hook. After getting the bow I go ahead and draw with my right elbow outside - my suit barely moves as the it slides just off the right shoulder. It sounds more awkward than it really is!

27-Nov-15
another advantage to HBS is wearing lighter layers underneath suit makes it easier to draw your bow. Another advantage is the fact my whole body is warm, joints , muscles etc... and this makes a huge difference when drawing your bow in cold temps. This helps my accuracy as well.

27-Nov-15
As far as movement goes I think using the suit is better because any time you move your arms or legs around it's concealed. If you are unzipping the suit to shoot you've already seen the deer so you have the advantage. In a way it's like being in a blind.

Find 2 other people that want one and call HBS. They will give you a really good discount. I did that. Me and a friend and one other hunter I found here on Bowsite.

27-Nov-15
Mule, I did the same thing ordered 3 made the purchase a little easier.

DJ

28-Nov-15
I didn't think the IWOM would keep me as warm. Let us know how it works. HBS works great, little clumsy to get into.

30-Nov-15
I have an HBS and it's too scary for me to try and put it on while in my Lone Wolf tree stand. I don't get a lot of use out of it.

I can get it on when I use my Tree Lounge climber but the Tree Lounge makes too much noise when it's that cold out.

Occasionally, in Dec and Jan frigid I'll wear it in a ground blind and I'm happy I have it.

02-Dec-15
I've had one sit with my IWOM so far - I was VERY comfortable in it. Almost too warm, but it got into the 40's that morning.

Drawback is that even though it folds into a sleeping bag type configuration, it is still bulky to carry in and can't be worn around the waist as they advertise. Besides that - I like it so far.. guess we'll see in Jan or late Dec.

I got mine in predator.

02-Dec-15
I have warm bag, as does my wife. I wore mine last weekend in two different tree stands, one with a large platform, one small. It was much easier to get into with the large one.

It was 23 degrees in the morning. I dressed like I did when it was 50-60, I got chilled walking in. Was toasty warm in the bag, well except my nose.

Wife had hers "on" when she came out at the end of the day, she figured it was easier than rolling it up and putting it in the bag, she unzipped the bottom, pulled it up and used the strap to keep it waist high, unzipped the arm holes and stuck her arms out.

Unfortunately neither of us got to "field test" getting the arms unzipped with a deer in the area.

03-Dec-15
You just need to keep in mind what you are purchasing. It is a limited use item. I have one and love it. When I need it, there is nothing else that would take it's place. It is for severe cold, it is an extra hassle to carry in, but when you have it on and you're snuggled in is one of the best feelings ever lol. It is also not for short sits. If you're only sitting up to 3hrs, I would never carry it in. At regular temps down to 0, -5F without wind chill, I haven't found a need for it if I am sitting roughly 2.5 hrs. Over 3hrs is where it starts getting critical I find. Last couple years I have been wearing good base layers and Sitka Fanatic on the outside.

This year being an El Nino in Manitoba I never even found the need to pull it out. Our night time lows were just hitting 10F temp not wind chill. At those temps, rising to highs of 25F thoughout the day an all day sit can be comfy in the Sitka Fanatic or equivalent layering I find.

So I just want to sum up where it becomes a need: Long sits, and extreme cold, and worst case, a combination of the two (shudder). I had some days in the rut where I tried to pull all day sits in wind chills of -15 to -25F where I just wasn't tough enough to stay all day. Pick your favorite 5 hours and bring some tea and run with it. Maybe other guys are tougher but those legit temps to me it just seems like no matter how much layering etc you just can't keep that kind of cold out forever. Wind is the worst. A bad wind sucks heat out worse than just a bad cold. It is quite a dance to try putting one on in a Lone Wolf 20 feet in the air while wearing cabelas Saskatchewan PAC boots. I can tell you that. Also - I can barely fit my boots inside the HBS feet. It is crazy snug and takes minutes per foot. Keep boot sizes in mind when purchasing. I own some Cabelas POLAR base layers that are honestly the biggest game changer for cold temps. They are light and thick, but honestly make about a 10F degree difference in the temps I can sit in with or without them. They make a bigger difference than the outerwear I find.

• Sitka Gear