Owl 29-Nov-15
BC 29-Nov-15
snapcrackpop 29-Nov-15
SteveB 29-Nov-15
jdee 29-Nov-15
BR Stinger 01-Dec-15
Dwayne 01-Dec-15
25-Nov-15
Well after 33 years of hunting out of trees I fell 15 feet while putting treesteps in on Halloween. A branch broke that I had grabbed with my hand. I landed on my heels, resulting in two compression fractures in my back.

I am always tied off while I am on the stand. I am tied off 100% of the time when I am using my climber. I am not tied off 100% of the time when I am setting up my hang ons. I hunt mostly public and am very mobile. I rarely hunt the same tree more than 3 times in a season so lifelines are not the best for me as a lot of my stands are sat once and I am carrying the sticks and stand in with me each time. That being said, it looks like 2 linemens belts will be the way to go (needing 2 in case I need to detach one to go around a limb and attach the other so I am always tied off). Is this how some of you are doing it and any suggestions on the best approach is much appreciated.

Thank You

25-Nov-15
Exactly how I do it. Two life lines. Simply secure one above the limb then detach the bottom one. I use different color ropes so I can be sure which is which. Always secured ground to ground.

25-Nov-15

snapcrackpop's Link
Get well soon.!

This video should explain it. https://youtu.be/uPHkbZrw4aw

25-Nov-15
the linesman belt isnt really fall protection. it is for hands free. should go up while moving the overhead rope as well

25-Nov-15
Based on what I've seen and witnessed first hand this year alone I can't believe how lucky I was the last 35 years. Situational awareness can help but we much be attached 100% of the time. Best wishes for a full recovery. C

25-Nov-15
Not only for going over branches, but for the transition from linemans/stick to safety rope/treestand.

25-Nov-15
Yes I am. Unlike many bowhunters I use Birmingham climbing irons (no not the cheap knock offs). These are foot to knee with offset spurs. I use the multi-fiber straps and attach to my stand when not in use, carrying in. I use a double lineman (6,000# rated rope and 4 carabiners) attached to a full body harness. Once I set the stand I attach the overhead lanyard (while the line mans are still attached). Spurs stay on in case I need to exit stand in a hurry. (ever have a nearby tree fall or bear want to share your tree?, I have!)

Been using this almost exclusively since 2000.

I have fallen from strap on steps occasionally (again just this season) as they are often required for special hunts. I don't like the idea of looking downwards and seeing 10-12 steel impalements looking back up at me. The climbing sticks are a little better but they can shift, are noisy (even when filled with foam) and some brands are known to break. As with my climbers I use the dual linemans rope( going around branches, etc.).

When I fell off a step this year (the strap on shifted) I ended up with a stab in the groin, I was only about 4 ft off the ground at the time. While hanging there by my harness could get off the step and it probably saved me from being nutered.

In addition I watched my hunting partner fall asleep on stand , waking up only when his harness caught him. In almost 40 years of hunting he hadn't done that before. Ouch, a little embarassed we hunted the rest of the season without further incident.

As far as a haul line I use two Strappers (one for the stand which I set up fresh every time, and one for the bow/pack). Attached on the end are barbless Musky hooks, clip to load bow, pack, etc.

To go with out some type of fall protection , strapped in 100% of the time is dangerous and really ridiculous give all the equipment out there now.

P.S. If you don't like fall protection OK to hunt from ground, I have shot plenty of deer out of natural blinds.

25-Nov-15
charlie i wonder if it is talked about more today than in the past? i feel fortunate to never have fallen with the chest strap harness, stupidest thing ever... lol...

i try to be as safe as possible. i want to drive my own car home after each and every hunt.

ben

25-Nov-15
you are lucky and I am glad your alive. get a ladder stand or a climber or a blind. I don't even carry a safty harness , unless I'm in a lock on , or built wooden stand. I never use dead wood for support. Buy a set of good pole steps,

26-Nov-15
100% all the time...I didn't get this old only to fall from a tree and end up paralysed or killed.

Like many of us my cousin bowhunted all over the US and Canada. At age 66, when one would think he was wiser, he fell from a treestand. Spent four months paralyzed then died four months later from complications.

If you don't hook up because it is convenient try a wheelchair. If you don't hook up for yourself do so for those who would have to take care of you or mourn for you.

Now off my stump, continue...

26-Nov-15
100% of the time. 2 lineman's belts.

I climbed with Buckingham gaffs for years, but the last 10 years been using Lone Wolf sticks.

No matter how you climb, you must be tied off. If not, sooner or later you will fall.

26-Nov-15
Always we have safety ropes with prussic knots on every stand stay safe Lewis

26-Nov-15
Of note, in regards to snackcrackpops referenced video, is that your climbing steps/sticks/ etc, should be higher than your hang on stand.

You should always step down onto your hang on stand platform, and never up onto it.

The guy in the video showed an unsafe method of transferring into the stand. He stepped up into it, and he was very unbalanced when doing so.

His stand was also not very snug on the tree, and should have never been wabbly, even if mounting it from below.

26-Nov-15
Nope not even when I am in the stand. I know I should but after being an iron worker for half my career I have no fear of heights. The highest I have worked is 400'.

26-Nov-15
I use a linemans belt while hanging sets. When hunting I usually climb without security and attach myself to my tree rope prior to stepping onto my stand. If I'm hunting with my daughter or wife, they are tied in from the ground.

27-Nov-15
Have to say no. As a kid a climbed trees ALL THE TIME. Never had heard of a safety harness back then, and if I had, I still wouldn't have used one. Not saying you shouldn't, but some things can be taken too far. Climb in and out slowly, deliberately, and carefully. Three points of contact all the time and clip in while in the stand. I've also fallen on stairs a few times, but I'm not about to rig lines all over my house. Again the culprit has always been being in too much of a hurry.

27-Nov-15
This is such an easy thing to do, please everyone do this.

27-Nov-15
Fulldraw, weekender & Ziek, thanks for being honest. Even if you are careful, what if your equipment fails/breaks? Do you think you can bounce or roll to prevent a fracture? Or are you okay with lying there waiting to die? Just curious about your thought process.

27-Nov-15
My point was, there are a LOT of other things many of us do that are more dangerous. Eating or using any feature of a smart phone while driving. Getting in any vehicle without using a seat belt (I still can't believe some larger vans and buses don't even require them). Exceeding the speed limit. Intentionally inhaling any kind of smoke. Being overweight. Being too out of shape to be climbing a tree to begin with. Drinking to excess. Operating a chain saw without full protective gear. Etc., etc., etc. Some guys that do clip in full time have convinced themselves that a climbing type harness is just as safe as a real harness for tree stand use (not true).

I don't leave my equipment out for more than a week or two at a time and I check it regularly. Unlike many of you I don't hunt from tree stands day in and day out so my exposer is less. When I do climb, I'm careful and deliberate. Sure, something could go wrong, but that's true everyday with everything we do as soon as we get out of bed.

Do you guys even let your kids climb trees, or is that taboo these days also?

27-Nov-15
I use a Summit Goliath climber and I never do. I'm a big guy and climb to about 25+ feet. If I have equipment problems I don't want to die hanging from some harness. Nobody would be looking for me, and I'd probably would be found by another Hunter days or weeks later.

27-Nov-15
I just looked at the video to confirm what I thought the technique was. That would never work for most of the trees I climb. They are simply too big around, or have so many branches, that I climb the tree not steps. The only thing that would work would be a top rope. That requires climbing the tree first.

28-Nov-15
Snapcrackpop, It's not possible to be tied in 100% of the time. You will take some level of risk just hanging sets and attaching your "lifeline" style safety. I hunted hogs with my daughter tonight. I climbed the double ladder stand, attached the lifeline, and climbed down again. At that point my daughter and I both tied in from the ground and remained tied in for the entire hunt. It's about being deliberate and mitigating as much risk as possible.

I had an 18" ladder step section pop off in my hand about 18' up a few years ago. I wasn't wearing a harness or using a line-mans belt. I got cocky and was in a hurry hanging a set in a soaking wet jungle. That was the last time I hung a set without safety equipment.

I will use full length "lifelines" when the situation calls for it but they don't work with every set and aren't always necessary in my opinion.

Regardless of the stand style, Ladder, hang on, or climber, I'm always wearing a harness during the hunt. That's a lot more than some...

28-Nov-15
Everyone of us take risks on a daily basis.

You get in your vehicle and drive down the road, you could end up a splattered bug on a windshield, many folks do.

We go into the woods alone, we climb trees, we seek out the places where nobody else is going, we walk around where predatory animals like lions and bears could easily rip us apart if they so chose.

I live my life without fear, guilt, or shame. I measure risks and mitigate the ones where the mitigation doesn't interfere with who I am and what I love doing. Maybe someday I'll die in the woods. I'm ok with that. I don't fear it. If that's how I go, then I died doing what I love.

The most important thing in my life is living my life on my terms and that includes dying on my terms. So I don't fear it.

I do, though, take a pragmatic view of this sort of thing and I feel it's a good idea to tie in. Lots of folks die or are injured for life each year from falling out of stands/ladders. I'll admit, I'm not tied in 100% of the time if I'm not using my climber. Risk vs reward. I've drawn my line and I'm tied in almost all of the time.

Mike, you really should use a harness. You never know when you're going to have an equipment failure.

28-Nov-15
I agree with you guys that the first time up a ladder stand is pretty difficult to be attached. I don't either. Climbers & hang-ons I'm at 100%. I also use the climber thhe majority of the time.

28-Nov-15
Big Woods, God Bless you, as one fall victim to another I hope your recovery goes as well as mine has. Very few are as blessed as I've been. Anybody who has hunted with me the last 10 years will tell you I preach wearing and using their safety gear. 95+% of the time I'm tied off ground to height. For no good reason on the morning of November 10th I wasn't. The 2015/2016 hunting season ended that morning for me, from 15ft. I'm still recouping and will be back at for the 2016 season. Anybody who claims and are honest about it, about being 100% tied off, good for them, 100% is a big number though. So is 95%, I wish I had been 100%. I'd still be Hunting this season.

28-Nov-15
Fulldraw, like you I've too spent my entire career above ground, seldom a day went by I haven't been on a ladder or scaffold, anywhere from 4' to 40' and a few times in the 100+ area. I've never feared Heights much either. Even on a couple of occasions I've had ladders or scaffolds throw me, with no real injuries. Not having the fear of falling isn't enough to save any of us from that fate. It is that we are tied off when and if the event occurs. That sudden stop at the bottom of our tree, hurts, and sometimes kills, whether or not were fearless ironwork worker like yourself or a Construction worker like me. I get a second chance, far to many haven't. Please reconsider, at least for your families sake.

28-Nov-15
It is so easy to be connected 100% of the time. I'm floored by all those who choose not to be.

You all should talk with your loved ones about this choice and see what they say. Maybe for their sake you'll reconsider. Think about what their lives would be like with you in a wheelchair, or a quadriplegic, or dead and buried.

28-Nov-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
I appreciate everyone's concern. But the goal is unrealistic.

"It is so easy to be connected 100% of the time."

That simply is not true. If you climb trees that look more like power poles - sure. But they are not very good for hunting. A bow hunter may as well put neon lights on they are so visible in such trees. I usually use trees that look like this. It may be possible to be tied in 100% when setting a stand in this tree, but it sure wouldn't be easy. And it would be way more problematic than it's worth - unless you fall, of course. The goal is NOT to fall, and to that end I'm very careful. I also hunt and hike in the mountains, sometimes in situations where climbing gear would be safer to use. If you want to be close to 100% safe every day, you should stay in bed. Otherwise, the best you can do is be observant, identify risks, mitigate them the best you can, and proceed cautiously.

I really am way more safe than I once was. Back when I first started hunting from trees, I often just climbed one and stood on a likely branch. One of my favorite trees was a multi trunked cottonwood. One trunk started out at about a 45 degree angle and arched into a fairly level section about 15' above the ground with a vertical limb sticking up. I used to shimmy up there and just stand on the trunk leaning against the limb. When a deer came by I would just stand up, and take the shot. Sounds pretty stupid in this day and age, even to me. But there was no "gear" to fail, I have excellent balance, and back then, little fear to mess with my head.

28-Nov-15
I'm not tied in 100%...but I try to be. I rationalize it by always climbing with 3 points connected...and the fact I can hang by one arm if needed.

It IS possible to be tied in 100%...it just takes more time to do that.

A guy can use a throw line to set his HSS line first...or set up a temp line....

28-Nov-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Beendare makes a good point. What is safe is different for different people. If doing a few pull-ups or supporting your weight by one arm (I used to be able to do one arm pull-ups as little as 15 years ago in my mid 40s) is a challenge, maybe you shouldn't be climbing trees to begin with.

If I was overly concerned with safety I would never have enjoyed experiences like this. Rowing Lava Falls, Grand Canyon in my 13' raft.

28-Nov-15

28-Nov-15

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
Or this. Near Beaver Falls, Havasu Creek, Grand Canyon.

28-Nov-15
I can't believe I just herd its not practicle 100% tied in. I guess until you fall and get really hurt you will have the _all's of a Bison?

Any way you can secure yourself to a tree going up is more practicle than nothing especially to hold yourself in place while your pulling a stand up to set or putting in steps of any kind. You never know when a fall will occurr no matter how big you think your _all's are? One step broke on me just about up to the stand at 17 feet and down I went hitting a number of steps and cutting open my KOM cloths jacket and pants. If I hadn't had these heavy wools on I could have been cut open like a can. I did get cut and was able to get my cloths repaired. When I hit the bottom I was sitting and felt myself and said I lucked out I'm ok. I must have breifly passed out from shock though. I called my wife and told her what happened and she came an got me. She asked me what happened when she first saw me all my cloths were torn bad straight on up from my boots up my leg and my jacket. I was lucky. Tie in no matter how much a pain it is might just save your life.

28-Nov-15
Ziek has a point too. While, yes, tied in 100% of the time is possible and the safest, the risk mitigated is different for different people.

If you're 100 lbs over weight and your stand breaks and you fall, was it more dangerous for you to be in a tree than someone who's 160 lbs? Absolutely. My equipment is not put under the same stress and I'm not going to fall as hard. Additionally, my ability to mitigate my own fall by the nature of the agility that someone that is 160 lbs vs someone that's 300 lbs puts the idea of a fall in a whole new light.

I trip and fall frequently in the mountains and I'm fine. I've seen people that are 100 lbs over weight trip and fall and bust their shit up and that's from ground level.

I don't want to sound rude or stuck up, but at 300 lbs, your risk of dying of heart disease is far higher my risk of dying from a fal during the 5 minutes a year I spend not tied in to my tree stand.

28-Nov-15
First of all, I never said I NEVER tie in. It's just impractical 100% of the time. It depends on circumstances. Second, I'm almost never alone when setting a stand. My wife usually assists me, since she also hunts. At least there's someone there to pick up the pieces.

I also go into the mountains alone frequently, without, OMG, a cell phone, sat phone, or SPOT.

If you're more comfortable using more safety precautions, by all means do. But if you come out of the woods and climb on a motorcycle, EVER, you have no valid argument. ;-)

28-Nov-15
Well, maybe I do, but we're being counseled by a guy who is 300 lbs and fell out of a tree when his stand broke.

IMO, if you're 100 lbs over weight, you have no business getting in a tree. It's your choice, but telling people they should be tied in because you fell is kinda like the doctor who smokes and tells his patients to quit because it's bad for them.

And I'm not busting on fat guys, I'm just telling it like it is. Sometimes the truth is offensive and there's no nice way to say it.

And yes, I think there's a line where a kid is too fat to get in a tree stand. IMO, it's somewhere around 100 lbs overweight, just like an adult.

EDIT: You have a point with the kids, but they shouldn't be given the choice, because they're kids. If a kid is hunting, they're being supervised, so it's up to the supervisor to make sure they're tied in properly.

29-Nov-15
Body size is somewhat less irrelevant to the discussion of falling from treestands than, say, functional agility and dexterity. Some of the clumsiest and most spasmodic people I know are skinny as a rail.

29-Nov-15
I am not tied in 100% from ground to stand. I"m tie in while hunting. I realize the risk and do what I can to be aware, cautious and safe. How about work at home? Do you rig up fall protection when your cleaning the gutters or painting the house? What if you're moving the ladder every 20 minutes to paint the next section? What about changing light bulbs from a six foot ladder? Not criticizing anyone for their own practice just pointing out, as others have, the risk management we all take when going aloft for any reason.

29-Nov-15
The goal should be 100% when possible and reconsider when it's not. The first time up a ladder stand, for example. Hanging sticks & transitioning to the stand from sticks is possible.

Not wearing a harness "because it's uncomfortable" or "I don't want to" is not a good answer. Good luck & stay safe guys.

29-Nov-15
Friend of mine died climbing into the same tree the same way he had for years when the last branch he used to crawl into his stand gave way. He had time to call his son and died before he got to him. He was 44. Be as careful as possible and take nothing for granted.

29-Nov-15
When I was a kid if I was doing something stupid like grabbing the rear bumper of a car on a snowy road and let the car drag me down the road until it got up to speed or jumping out of the boat at 45 mph my dad would get mad at me and tell me ....everyone is going to die at some point but I really hate to see you die stupid.

I never forgot that and think about those words every time I do something dangerous with out taking all the safety precautions I should. Dear old dad is long gone now but I guarantee you if I fell out of a tree and died when a harness would have prevented it he would consider that as... dying stupid.

01-Dec-15
I am very mobile and hate sitting the same stands over and over, so I use Lone Wolf sticks along with a light hang on. I use the lineman's belt all the way up but unstrap it and bear hug the tree to get into my stand, then I attach my harness. The last couple years I have found myself using my climber probably 70% of the time because I'm attached 100% of the time and I can get up really high.

I do have several pre set stands that I'm going to use lifelines with next year. I never thought about the double linemans belt. I may try that when setting hang ons.

01-Dec-15
Sometimes I think the Bowsite needs a safe area... :)

NOT

• Sitka Gear