CurveBow 30-Nov-15
bill brown 30-Nov-15
Cheesehead Mike 03-Dec-15
Cheesehead Mike 03-Dec-15
tacklebox 03-Dec-15
dapper 03-Dec-15
deerman406 03-Dec-15
25-Nov-15
What do you use for your tree stand haul line?

25-Nov-15
Poly or nylon paracord.

I do prefer something with a little diameter to it, because I'm usually hauling my daypack and bow up at the same time.

Cuts into your hands with a heavy load otherwise.

Best of Luck, Jeff

25-Nov-15
3/16 polypropylene green or brown rope. It has a 30# working load and will not rot. It's made by Atwood Rope Mfg. in the U.S. I get it in 100' lengths.

25-Nov-15

cnelk's Link
So using a small rope, do you clip one end on your arm/belt as you go up?

I know guys that use these [see link]

25-Nov-15
Sometimes I use my lifeline....if I haven't tied it off atbthr bottom.....other times....paracord.

25-Nov-15
Hmmm, I usually just tie it off on a belt loop. Or, just hold it in my teeth lol.

Best of Luck, Jeff

25-Nov-15
Lewis & Lewis Strapper Gear Retriever. Works great been using one for years.

25-Nov-15
I use the Strapper Retriever. 30 feet, which is how high I normally hunt from, and never a tangle.

25-Nov-15
Strapper Retriever for me, too.

25-Nov-15
Parachute cord, two lines at every stand site. One to pull up bow and one to pull up pack and if need be my HBS. It lasts forever and I have never had one break. Shawn

26-Nov-15
Strapper Retriever here to, one of the greatest inventions for treestanders...

I now own 3, just in case of loosing... I've lost one or two over the years, hopefully these three will get me through the rest of my treestanding years...8^)

Before they were invented I used a cord reeled up in a fly fishing reel... I knew I should have marketed it...8^)

26-Nov-15
I use my lifeline to pull my pack up and paracord for my bow.

26-Nov-15
Paracord also. I use a Summit Viper with the auxiliary pouches on the side rails...the pull cord is tied on the seat rail and kept rolled up in the end zipper pocket when not in use. Works slick.

Before that, I had a cord on my belt and kept it in my pocket.

26-Nov-15
25' of 1/4" braided nylon with a keychain size carabiner tied to each end. One clipped to the bow and the other clipped to me. Or my climber, if that's what I'm using.

26-Nov-15
I like 1/4'' braided nylon chord like they use for trotlines. I think the the strength is somewhere around 200-300 lbs. The squirrels here seem to like to chew on parachord more than they do this stuff. I also attach a metal clip like on a dog leash to clip on my bow's top cam. I set the height of this rope so that my bow is suspended off the ground a couple of feet so it doesn't get hung up in the brush on the ground when I get ready to pull it up once I get in the tree.

I'm fortunate to hunt quite a bit of land that we own, so I have a bunch of permanent stands & hang ons set prior to the season so the pull up rope is already there when I get to the tree, but I also have a couple of Lone Wolf hang ons that have the pull up rope attached to them.

26-Nov-15
Nylon cord or paracord with small carabiners at each end.

Just another thought... I never leave it permanently hanging at my stand sites and bring it in and out each time. Several successful outfitters in the Midwest told me the same due to the fact that over the course of its use it essentially becomes a big human scent wick. If you never touch it with your bare hands that might not be the case but I just play it safe and take it with me

26-Nov-15
I understand that most are using permanent stand or ladder sticks, the rope is already attached up high. I am more interested in the logistics of what haul line for climber.

Something I wont be using the same tree morning and night, as I intend to be very mobile with a tree stand.

Is the Strapper Retriever what I want?

26-Nov-15
cnelk - Yep

26-Nov-15
Rubber coated chain

26-Nov-15
I use black paracord for my climber. I just tie to the upper portion of my climber. I cut to 25' this way I never exceed that height.

26-Nov-15
I do same as WBowhunt. Been doing for years with climber.

26-Nov-15
Paracord

26-Nov-15
I like the strapper and have it attached to my pack. Works great as it unwinds as I climb and I don't have to worry about any tangles.

26-Nov-15
After years of fighting with pull up ropes.

I just use my bow sling. I notice no different when I am climbing up into my stands.

26-Nov-15
parachute cord

26-Nov-15
"Strapper Retriever here to, one of the greatest inventions for treestanders.."

Definitely, never tangles and awesome tool.

26-Nov-15
I climb with my bow attached to the climber & my backpack in my back. Nothing left to pull up.

26-Nov-15

26-Nov-15
Have a 25' green paracord attached to the upper half of my climber. Knots in it at 15', 17.5', and 20' so I know my height as I go up. I like to be above 17' with the platform. Bow is attached to the line prior to ascending the tree.

27-Nov-15
I use a retractable dog lead works great the auto recoil keeps it untangled and feeds/retracts as you ascend or descend!! All hands free.

27-Nov-15
Strapper!

Can haul up my pack, bow, and Heater Body Suit and not cut into my hands.

30-Nov-15
1/4" camo rope with two small carabiners one for my pack one for my bow with a knot every 2' had the same rope for 15 years or so now big enough not to tangle, won't cut into your hands and strong enough to lift more then I can.

30-Nov-15
I have the stand on my back. Why do you need to pull it up with a rope?

30-Nov-15
About 35 years ago, I took about an 8" piece of thin hardwood, maybe 2.5" wide and 3/8" thick. I cut notches in a "V" shape into each end and drilled a 1/4" hole into it anywhere. I tie about a 30 foot piece of parachute cord to it (can go a bit heavier if you want), make some fancy knot in the end so it doesn't pull through. Wind the cord onto the ends. Each wrap is about a foot. The loose end has a cheap carabiner on it which is tied in place.

I then undid the rope little by little & measured it. I tie a knot a 5 ft, a bigger loop knot at 10 ft., another knot at 15 ft. and a last one at 20 ft.

I keep it in a side pocket of my bowhunting backpack. I clip the carabiner to the top wheel of my compound (bottom wheel when lowering - so arrows don't snag in limbs or brush), undo about the footage I need to get to the stand and put the wood holder in a pocket.

I have used the same piece of wood for 35+ years and have replaced the cord only once that I can recall.

It beats having a cord at every stand and covers too when using a climbing stand.

>>>>--------> holder >====<

30-Nov-15
I just use cheap aluminum spring clips on a loop of 1/4 or 3/16 polypropolene camo or brown rope. Cheap at Harbor Freight. I keep a couple extra spring clips attached to my backpack. As said earlier, the heavier diameter rope is easier to pull up. Paracord is great but tends to slip in my gloves, especially with a heavier load. I usually have a cord at every stand and another in my backpack just in case.

03-Dec-15

Cheesehead Mike's Link
I bought one of these at Walmart a couple years ago and it is the best haul rope I have ever used. I was tired of noisy carbiners and the rubber wire on this rope is silent.

Also the flat ribbon-rope is very easy to hang onto and resists tangling.

BTW, do you know that if you wrap your rope over your pinky and thumb in a figure-8 fashion it won't tangle? You can just hang on to one end and drop the rope and it will uncoil tangle free...

03-Dec-15

Cheesehead Mike's Link
When the rubber wire on the end of the haul rope wears out you can replace it with this. In fact I added rubber wire to both ends of my haul rope which makes attaching either end both easy and silent.

03-Dec-15
I keep 25' of climbing rope to use as my pull rope with a carabineer tied to one end. I don't like hauling expensive gear by thin lines. Also it doesn't get tangled up like para or others tend to. Comes in handy other times as well, dragging and the like.

03-Dec-15
The strapper for me as well. It has a plastic clip on both ends. I have a loop of parachute cord on the end of my climber, I clip it to that and the other end to my bow/pack. I reel out all the strap before climbing(makes it quieter) and I know when I hit 30 feet.

03-Dec-15
For stands that do not have pull up ropes already there. I use an old Allen pull up rope with a metal clip at one end. It is 25 feet and I have had it in my fanny pack for over 20 years. It has made things easier for me more than once over the years. Shawn

• Sitka Gear