LKH 08-Jan-16
jims 08-Jan-16
Dave32 08-Jan-16
Dave32 09-Jan-16
Topgun 30-06 09-Jan-16
25-Nov-15

Dave32's embedded Photo
Dave32's embedded Photo
I hunted the general Wyoming archery season this past fall and had a great time. Id like to go back in 2016. I'm looking for someone with some points to apply with. I know it's a long shot but if someone has more points than they need to draw a general tag I would be willing to compensate you the best I can for letting me apply with you.

If anyone out there is interested please message me.

Thanks Dave

25-Nov-15
Nice bull Dave. Good luck this season. You could always spring for the special tag.

26-Nov-15
I'm planning to apply for a WY general tag, but only have one point so will go in the special ballot.

26-Nov-15
Dave, how many points does the 2nd hunter need to have to share to have a good chance at drawing your desired unit?

ElkNut1

26-Nov-15
I'd think WY would approach the same as CO. Group applications are considered using the hunter with the least amount of points, not shared or preference to the higher point count.

If hunter A has 1 point and hunter B has 4 points, the group application is only a 1 point application.

Andy

26-Nov-15
Wyoming lets you combine points for a higher success rate.

26-Nov-15
He (the OP) is talking about a general tag, not a draw unit. As I recall the gen tags were around 50/50 last year as a 2nd choice in the special draw. Might've been a little higher than that but you can't go off the draw odds report due to the way they allocate general tags to NR who applied in the special draw.

Based on the 2015 pp draw for general tags in the regular draw, it took 2 pp to guarantee draw. But also everyone in the "less than 2 points" category drew (group apps can have fractional points since WY uses the group average). But according to their draw odds report, only 40 percent of those in the "1 point" category drew. If I wanted to be sure of drawing in 2016 in the regular general, I'd be sure my group average was 2 pp or higher, based on the 2015 stats.

26-Nov-15
So ASCTLC Wyoming draw, If hunter A has 1 point and hunter B has 4 points, the group application is in the 2.5 point pool in the application process.

26-Nov-15
Huntcell, I'm not Andy but that is my understanding!

ElkNut1

26-Nov-15
It's my understanding that points get combined then averaged out.

Mule power: I will definitely apply special if I don't find someone to apply with.

Elknut: I'm looking for at least four points. It only takes two points to draw. I'm hoping to find someone who is applying anyways and rather than just wasting their extra points I would be willing to pay them to let me apply with them. It should be a win win.

26-Nov-15
Well I'll be danged. Thanks for the education guys!

Andy

26-Nov-15
So if you averaged out somebody's 4 and your 1 what's the plan? I don't think money is the issue. Does that mean we hunt together? It might be a good idea to spell out what you have in mind. Giving up 4 points for a General license doesn't sound very tempting. But killing a bull like that is tempting.

For you it means saving around $500 to be able to apply in the Regular drawing.

26-Nov-15
Mule power: I don't really expect to save any money because I plan on compensating who ever I apply with. I understand that not everyone wants to spend their points on a general tag. I'm not asking anyone to change their plans. Just simply saying if someone is planning on appling for the general tag let me know and maybe we can work something out.

26-Nov-15
Well I am out. I only have 3.

26-Nov-15
you can put 6 in a party app.

Find 6 like minded guys

1st choice swing for the fence with premium area random

2nd choice special general

everyone draws a tag, no one uses up any points.

done and done

viola

28-Nov-15
shb... That doesn't work for sure anymore and last year that strategy left lots of guys with no elk license.

After the Wyoming draw results came out there were some very disappointed people planning hunts in Montana and other places after applying for Wyoming's 2nd choice Special Gen.

29-Nov-15
Good luck with that offer.I have 3points for elk and my son has 4.No way I could imagine using them on a general tag unless the money was real good.But, with that said, there are people with more points that use them on general tags every year and you may have a chance at finding one of them I already researched a unit for my son.I may just bank another point and try in the 2nd special general for myself.Good luck, wy. definitely has some of the best general units.Mulepower is right about your minimum savings though at $500

01-Dec-15
From what I saw , if I apply general special as my first choice my odds of draw are about 46% is that correct?

01-Dec-15
PM sent.

01-Dec-15
I think you will actually have luck doing this if you play your cards right. Good luck. Great bull BTW.

02-Dec-15
I would think people would be more interested in applying with you for the knowledge of where to go based on your past experience there or which general unit you killed that bull in vs the money!

02-Dec-15
Thomas is correct.

02-Dec-15
Dave32, I have three points right now (not sure if they posted for 2015 or not, if not I would have 4.)... I might be interested in hunting with you, nice bull btw.

03-Dec-15
That was kinda my question... do you want to hunt together with the license applicant or go your separate ways?

03-Dec-15
From: HuntEasy Date: 02-Dec-15 Dave32, I have three points right now (not sure if they posted for 2015 or not, if not I would have 4.)... I might be interested in hunting with you, nice bull btw.

The G&F has not updated PPs on their website yet, so if you bought one this year you will have 4 going into the 2016 draw. That should guarantee a party of two going in with a 2PP average a General tag based on last years stats ans seeing that those with less than 2PPs all drew.

03-Dec-15
Topgun, they updated 2015 point totals on 11/18....at least the ones I can check for my son & I are updated.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/drawresults/frmsearch.aspx

03-Dec-15
Its definetly updated. I have 7 elk and 4 antelope points.

03-Dec-15
If trends hold true, you won't need 2 points to draw, you'll need 1.5, so someone with 3 points could draw with someone who had 0.

03-Dec-15
I have no idea what's going on, but when I do my PP search all that comes up is my results in the draw and nothing on my PP totals. That's why I posted what I did that they haven't been updated. I know I should be showing 0 PPs for deer because I just used my 6 PPs to hunt region G in September, but nothing even comes up when I do a search.

03-Dec-15

Dave32's embedded Photo
Dave32's embedded Photo
Thanks for all the replys. I have had lots of PMs of people wanting to know where to go with the possibility of applying together. I am hunting with a friend who is a resident in his spots So I can't really say where to go. like i stated before I'm not asking anyone to change their plans because of me. I'm just saying if you have the points and are applying anyways let's see if we can work something out.

Idllwindarcher : Does 1.5 points a piece get rounded up to 2 or down to one point each ?

03-Dec-15
Neither. You'll be in the < 2 pool.

03-Dec-15
Yep, you would be in a 1.5PP pool if any other parties have that same average, as Wyoming takes the average of a parties PPs out to four decimal places with no rounding up or down. Since the G&F doesn't show each of those pools that are between full PPs, it can be a guessing game as to what a party had to draw a tag when it's in between full PPs.

04-Dec-15
But it doesn't matter because the PP draw will dip into the 1 point pool (if trends hold) so if you go in with someone who has 3, you'll both draw as you'll have 1.5 average.

04-Dec-15
And the computer program used to format the odds reports does not have the ability to output every point break for a given hunt in those odds reports...... been there.

04-Dec-15
The only trend I care about is the one that no longer enables us to draw a general tag as a second choice so we can hunt and keep our points. Sucks!

04-Dec-15
sad if a guy needs to give up points to apply with a guy on the internet !!

04-Dec-15
Hmmm, I might give up a couple to hunt with you City? But you buy those leftover tags don't you?

04-Dec-15
City who said anything about giving up points?? That's part of what bow fight is about, meeting new people possibly even new hunting buddies. For a lot of guys that haven't hunted Wyoming it may be a win win to go with someone who has had some success, and point average. Why is that sad? Seems smart to me??

04-Dec-15
The OP made it clear he doesn't want to share points to share a hunt or hunt area info. He wants to buy the points.

So if a guy has 4 points and plans on burning them on a GEN tag, all the OP is asking is to apply as a group with him and he will compensate the point holder.

04-Dec-15
Point averaging with someone so you can draw a tag can be great depending on the particular circumstances. A guy from ID on another forum several years ago wanted to use his PPs to have a good antelope hunt and didn't know where to put in. I hunt in deer/elk in a great antelope unit, but it takes 3 or 4 PPs now to draw the NR tag, so I contacted him and asked if he wanted to apply as a party and average our PPs so we could both draw. The deal was that I knew the area well to get him a good buck and would also provide the camper for the hunt. He thought that sounded good, so we put in together, drew the tags, and we both killed bucks in the high 70s the 3rd and 4th days of the hunt. With the knowledge the OP appears to have for the elk unit he wants to hunt on the General tag, if he can party up with and help a person like I did I think it is a win win situation. If he just wants to buy PPs from a person by going in as a party like it sounds is the case in this thread, then that's a completely different situation.

04-Dec-15
Sounds like a little preference point prostitution... not that there's anything wrong with that... ;^)

04-Dec-15
Midwest +1

OP isn't sharing anything. Maybe give up a few bucks Just wants points Don't we all

04-Dec-15
It's getting to be all about playing the game the giverments have set up.

04-Dec-15
I know Dave32 he is a great guy I met him on another forum and have done 2 out of state hunts together. To me the situation seams like a win win for the right person, Dave32 gets to hunt with his friend and someone else who was going to do general anyways gets compensated for it. 4 points is not that much invested time and with 4 points one is still pretty far from drawing a top tier tag. I think this is great for someone who wants to do there homework and learn a general area that they can hunt every few years. Again seams like a win win for the right person.

04-Dec-15
"Dave32 gets to hunt with his friend and someone else who was going to do general anyways gets compensated for it."

Exactly. These days you can't draw anything as a 2nd choice. So there are some guys, and I'm one of them, who is faced with either burning my points on a general license, or picking somewhere to hunt that I know for sure I can get with my points. For sure! Meaning I want a license 100% guaranteed.

I have friends coming down from New Brunswick to hunt. They don't have the points to draw where I can. Plus I know my general elk spots well enough to know they will have a good hunt. So I have thought about saving myself about $500 by just applying in the regular draw for a General license. So if I was.... it wouldn't be any sweat off my back to help someone out... and make some money back for my investment. But I'd rather learn a new spot. :-)

07-Dec-15
I understand that most people would rather know where to go than get paid. I cant say blame you. But I was trusted with info on a general area and I won't sell out my friends spot for my benefit. I'm sure that's lots of you on here have been burned by someone you trusted or shared Info with. At least those people should see where I'm coming from.

I also see how it can rub some people wrong that I want to pay to try and improve my draw chances. But Like I said before I'm not asking anyone to changes their plans even a little on my behalf. I'm just putting it out there we might be able to work a mutually beneficial arrangement.

Dave.

07-Dec-15
I've got plenty of points and know a special district where I want to hunt. Looking for somebody who has at least 6 points to discuss a mutual hunt. Otherwise I'll 2nd choice it and pray like the rest.

07-Dec-15
Dave, I see nothing wrong with your request. Make a few bucks by partying with you but you're on your own for the hunt, which is where they were to begin with.

07-Dec-15
I have 5 William wish I could but not enough

07-Dec-15
Dave... COMPLETELY understandable and no doubt the respectable thing to do.

I can see others doing the same thing you are. Me for example! At this rate none of us will have points unless something changes or you want to skip a season. Screw that right! We could just shell out the extra $500 and be done but it doesn't hurt to ask. Good luck man.

07-Dec-15
Good luck Dave and I mean that. I have my heart set on a different unit and will chase it for a few more years! Nothing wrong with asking! The answer is guaranteed to be no unless you ask.

07-Dec-15
pay for my tag, fuel and tires and u can apply with me !!!

08-Dec-15
Wouldn't it be the same to compensate the WY fish and game for a special tag and get drawn 100% ?

08-Dec-15
808 I'm assuming that Dave32 has zero points. Even in the special draw, far from a guarantee of a GEN tag with no points.

I'm in the same boat as Mule Power. Chancing it in the special draw as a second choice GEN tag to try to save my points (4) for future LE unit.

Dave

08-Dec-15
Not a guarantee to draw a Gen tag in the special draw in 2016.

It might actually end up being 100%, but we won't know that till 2017.

At worst, it'll be very good odds to draw a Gen tag in the special draw 1st choice, but I think the OP is looking for the sure thing.

08-Dec-15
It will take 400 more 1st choice apps than last year to make it less than 100%. On the downside, there were 300 more 1st choices in 2015 than 2014.

14-Dec-15
I sure hope you guys are correct on the special odds. I fully plan on applying for that if nothing else comes up.

08-Jan-16
Dave have you got anyone to put in with you yet?

08-Jan-16
4 pts would not get you there with me Dave... Correct?

08-Jan-16
Yes Rich that will work. You'd have a party average of 2 which will get you the General license in the regular draw.

08-Jan-16
If you could find a partner with 1 point then you would both draw based on last years results. Even a zero gave 43%.

08-Jan-16
Zero had those odds in the Special draw. <1 was zero % in the regular drawing. I think his goal was to save the money.

08-Jan-16
He said he would compensate them. To me that means money so not sure how he would save much.

08-Jan-16
Just a word of warning. Agreeing to apply together as a party and taking friends hunting is ok but I would be super leery about any compensation deal. In fact, each person should be responsible for paying for their own gas, food, lodging, license, taxidermy, meat processing, beer, toilet paper, etc or you may be slapped with a ticket by the WG&F! I would suggest taking a look at the regs to make sure everything you do is legit! With that said, I've had great hunts in years past with new found friends!

08-Jan-16
Basically I plan on apply for the special general tag. But if I were able to find a guy with 4 points that was willing to apply with me I think I increase my odds of drawing. And could benefit him some as well.

If any one is interested send me a pm and we can discuss our options.

Thanks Dave

09-Jan-16
Basically I plan on apply for the special general tag. But if I were able to find a guy with 4 points that was willing to apply with me I think I increase my odds of drawing. And could benefit him some as well.

If any one is interested send me a pm and we can discuss our options.

Thanks Dave

09-Jan-16
jims---I don't think there would be anything illegal if he did what he's talking about in this particular circumstance. However, if a NR gets a resident to sign the paperwork the G&F requires for a resident to accompany a NR into the wilderness for a big game or trophy hunt it says right on it that there is no remuneration to the resident. That would mean anything of value, including TP, LOL!

• Sitka Gear