Mule Power 26-Nov-15
AndyJ 27-Nov-15
Mule Power 28-Nov-15
Bowdoc 28-Nov-15
Charlie Rehor 28-Nov-15
ElkNut1 28-Nov-15
Bowdoc 28-Nov-15
25-Nov-15
My trip this year to the Rocking R has me dreaming about the Rocky Mts. I'm giving serious thought to buying a place in the west. I live in the east and my kids and family will always be in the east so I'm looking into fractional ownership. 6 weeks a year (2 for trout, 2 for elk and other critters, and 2 for skiing) would satisfy my western itch. I have to take my wife into consideration so I can't just camp out in the far out wilderness. I was wondering what everyone thought of Big Sky. I'm familiar with the fishing there and I know the skiing is great.....but its the elk that really gets my blood boiling. Can an elk newbie hike into Gallatin/Metcalf range and have a reasonable chance (and get back for dinner to keep the wife happy)? I was also looking at Red Lodge, looks to be less expensive area but I know nothing about it. Any other thoughts where I might want to look? Appreciate it.

26-Nov-15
Over 50% of my clients would leave the Bitterroot with a real estate brochure in their hands. Take your time and choose carefully.

Also... have you been other places to compare? If I were you I'd take a drive down around Jackson Hole and south to Alpine and Afton and then cruise other areas like the Wind River range. It has everything you are looking for and I think the family would like the area a lot.

27-Nov-15
Big Sky/Bozeman-Where super rich Coloradoans move so they can call themselves cowboys. I used to spend a decent amount of time in Bozeman and Big Sky and IMO it has changed fast and not for the better. The Yellowstone Club gave Big Sky an Aspen-esque feel. Big Sky and Moonlight have AWESOME skiing. When it is good, it is amazing and it is beautiful. Still, if I had the money I would go elsewhere like Whitefish or Red Lodge or Driggs, ID. Even CO still has some great options where you will get way more bang for your buck.

Are you looking for a time share? Please say no, but if that is the case you are probably going to have limited options unless you move to a more populated area. PM me if you are interested in a few other suggestions.

28-Nov-15
If I was looking for a time share it would be in Jackson Hole. Hunt, fish, ski, etc etc. Also for the family... shop, sight see and more.

28-Nov-15

Bowdoc's embedded Photo
Bowdoc's embedded Photo
Thanks guys for the input. Mule I was in Jackson this summer. Thought it was great although very pricey. Alpine was something, made me think about getting a pilots license. Andy, Fractional ownership looks interesting. Time share....no way. Next summer when I'm out west I'm going to make a point to get to Red Lodge. I think there might be a decent herd of lopes just to the east. That just sweetens the pot. For now I have Jersey Stripers to keep things interesting (not strippers!!)

28-Nov-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
These are stripers, Narragansett Bay, RI :)

Good luck with your search! For many years I would come home from my hunt trips and tell my wife we had to move there or get a place. In the beginning she would point out the absurdity of my ideas then eventually she would just not worry as my mind would usually let it go until the next hunt:)

Keep us updated as to what you find!

28-Nov-15
Nothing I can add to this thread other than, Charlie, WOW!!

ElkNut1

28-Nov-15
Charlie you're a show off! Let us know if you did as well this year with the WTs. I filled the freezer with a couple of does.

• Sitka Gear