TD 02-Dec-15
XMan 03-Dec-15
XMan 03-Dec-15
Charlie Rehor 03-Dec-15
Bushbow 03-Dec-15
SILVERADO 03-Dec-15
deerman406 05-Dec-15
28-Nov-15
After reading the recent feature on treestand failures, I could use some help directing me to replacement cables for Comfort Zone Hunter & Magnum Hang-On Treestands (24"x 20" and 29" x 22"). I have googled and searched for these replacement cables in the past to no avail. Does anyone have any info or a link they can share?

Many thanks in advance.

28-Nov-15

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Let's crack the code on this one guys. I bet there's one company out there that makes the majority of the side cables for the majority of the Hang-on tree stand companies. Who is that company? I will order 50 set of cables if we can track them down! Any help appreciated. C

28-Nov-15
Boat supply shops and rental companies often will sell you swaged cables cut to length. They probably will not take responsibility for how you use them.

28-Nov-15
I am lucky to have cables available to me at work. Even they will sell me the materials and let me use the equipment but will not sell completed cables.

28-Nov-15
Do you mean Swaged Cables??

28-Nov-15
You can buy the cable and the tool needed to crimp the cables at Lowes. make them yourself and save quite a bit of money. Shawn

28-Nov-15
Charlie, was that a stand left out all year, or just neglect? I've heard you mention a few times Gorilla going out of business due to this, or something along those lines.

29-Nov-15
Deerman, would you know the approximate gauge(?)/diameter cable to purchase from Lowes for say 300lb (thats what Comfort Zone lists as max weight) pressure/strength? I'm claiming ignorance here... I know absolutely nothing about cable strength/grade/pressure/resistance, etc.

29-Nov-15
I'm sure they can tell you what it's rated for at lowes... Just buy one erring on the side of caution as far was weight rating..

Josh

29-Nov-15

SILVERADO's embedded Photo
SILVERADO's embedded Photo
Why not completely replace the cable all together with galvanized steel chain as I do. No need to worry about anything after.

29-Nov-15
Lexco cable manufactures will build cables to your specs. Havent bought any from them yet but plan to , they look like good quality.

29-Nov-15
You guys are crazy. Throw them in the trash and get a new, quality stand.

You can't put a price on safety. Would you put your kids in a patched up stand? I would not.

29-Nov-15
My brother and I have the Sam problem. I believe im going to replace the cables with chains, like someone posted above. We are also thinking about changing all the critical bolts out as well. No need to throw them out, 90% of it he stand is still good. If you replace parts intelligently there is nothing to be worried about.

29-Nov-15
What's the common shelf life again for most hang-on stand cables, regardless if you leave in field or not - is it 5yrs?

29-Nov-15
5 yrs for lone wolf

u can get replacement cables from them but not sure if the size would be correct for these other manufacturers.

29-Nov-15

Charlie Rehor's Link
This company is based in Illinois and could be an option!

29-Nov-15
I have used 3/16ths coated cable for the ones I have had to replace and that is overkill. Shawn

29-Nov-15
I've seen clear, vinyl coated cable get cut and slip when crimped. I would guess not all coated cable is equal, but be careful never the less with what your using.

Like straps, figure on a safety factor of 3. 300lb rating, use 900lb cable.

29-Nov-15
To further Grunt-N-Gobble's advice. Just because you weigh 150 pounds don't forget your gear and shock loading. A excited man can put an awful lot of load on a stand when he humps to his feet or loads the very edge of the platform. Buy stronger than you think you need.

30-Nov-15
Many years ago, I built over a dozen stands patterned after "Screaming Eagle Stands" over a few year period. Formerly sold by Paul Brunners Screaming Eagle company.

I bought uncoated SS 3/16 cable and used cable clamps available at hardware stores. They bolted on and worked well. Later, I used purchased swage devices and a tool for crimping them on. I redid the original cables using the swages. To test them, I placed a stand low on a tree in my backyard and both my son & I stood on the platform together and bounced o it as well. There was no cable slippage at all (plus the welds held together too!)

They have lasted well and have not had any issues. But, I will state that with few exceptions, the stands are taken down each fall when the season closes. Steps, sticks & stands all live in the garage until the following fall.

By the way, these stands are the most comfortable chain on stands of any I own!

>>>>-------->

02-Dec-15
I posted above about replacing the stock cables on these stand, I also replace all bolts with brand new grade 8 galvanized steel bolts and then locktite all nuts, and spray paint all metal on the stand.

02-Dec-15
I posted above about replacing the stock cables on these stand, I also replace all bolts with brand new grade 8 galvanized steel bolts and then locktite all nuts, and spray paint all metal on the stand.

02-Dec-15
Buy a new stand?

Exactly, that's what I do when the brakes wear out on my truck, buy a new truck.... OK, maybe not, my truck is a 76... but the brakes work great....

If a person had any skills/common sense they could replace these things with commonly available parts, chain or cable, bolts etc. two or three times the strength of the OEM if they were worried about it.

It snot rocket science. If I repaired it I'd put two of my family up in it and not give it a second thought.... I just get to choose the family....

03-Dec-15

XMan's Link
How funny is this, I just stumbled on this website, replacement cables, seats, and straps!

I plan on buying a bunch for all my stands. I wonder if they will do a bulk order?

03-Dec-15
Silverado,

How much does it cost you to do one stand for chains, nuts and bolts? Also are you changing out the strap?

Curious what is more cost effective?

03-Dec-15
X Man: Your link is Just what I was hoping for. Thanks! C

03-Dec-15
I make my own and trust them way more than the factory or the skinny things on that website that offers them pre-fabbed. It is really simple to make them and even stronger to go with chain.

I have friends that would take the "replace-it" route like mentioned above - by throwing perfectly good stuff in the trash and getting new. Big things like appliances, Quads, hell, even cars. Light goes out in the frig ya buy a new one and let your cheap buddy have the old.

I don't care what others do with their money but geesh - use your noodle. Do you think the 9$ and hour(hopefully US made) employee making up those cables cares as much about your family as you do??

More likely the 9$ a day Asian made - starts to get really scary.

03-Dec-15
My stands are out year round. I replace ratchet straps every other year and check the status of my chains and bolts after replacing with galvanized bolts and chain. I have never found an issue. It cost somewhere in the ballpark of $15.00 for parts replacement. I also add galvanized flat washers to the inside and outside of the holes that the bolts go through and add lock washers prior to the nuts.

05-Dec-15
18 bucks for a new set of cables seem like a lot to me. DICKS puts some of their $40 stand on sale, for buy one get one free a lot of time. I would just do that if I had to pay 18 for a set of cables. I also leave my stands out year round(60 of them) and although I check ratchet straps every year, I do not replace many at all. I have some out for 5 or 6 years before I have had to replace them. Shawn

• Sitka Gear