Cheesehead Mike 01-Dec-15
Elkaddict 01-Dec-15
Langbow 01-Dec-15
Mad Trapper 02-Dec-15
Fuzzy 02-Dec-15
Fuzzy 02-Dec-15
r-man 05-Dec-15
30-Nov-15
Guys I have a small 1/2 acre hunting plot of clover. The clover is still very green 8" high or so. It was warm here in Connecticut from mid September thru even now. I had hoped most of the leaves would have blown off the field but the long clover has locked them in. Should the leaves be blown out? I could mow the clover and mulch up the leaves as an option (less time to do that). Is leaving the leaves ok until next spring? Remove then or mow then? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

30-Nov-15
The clover is dormant now. I don't see any reason to worry about the leaves now. They aren't hurting anything. The deer can easily get to the clover. If you mow it now, you will eliminate any forage for the deer this winter.

01-Dec-15
We blow the leaves off food plots late winter/early spring, just prior to frost seeding.

01-Dec-15
Am I the only person out there that thinks this food plot stuff and questions like this is getting a little crazy? Blowing the leaves off the deers food like they never had to eat around a leaf before?

Maybe a some soft music in the back ground, candle light and wine during the rut too?

01-Dec-15
Haven't you ever seen them eat leaves? They do it all the time.

01-Dec-15
Call me crazy, but if I'm going to drop the $$$ for seed and fertilizer, I'm going to give it every opportunity to make contact with soil...rather than waste my money on piles of matted leaves.

Some say music is good for plant growth, but I'm not sure about candle light and wine?

01-Dec-15
Oak leaves are tough as leather. I have no food plots but if they are left in the yard, the grass is gone by spring.

01-Dec-15
I get what the OP is asking, however killinstuff made me lol.

01-Dec-15
Yep, I've blown the oak leaves off of my small clover plot while listening to soft music in my ear protector/radio phones. No wine but a beer now and then ;^)

01-Dec-15
I've never heard of blowing leaves out of the food plot. However I do make sure she keeps the bush trimmed out nice and clean around the food plot. It does make for a more enjoyable grazing experience!

01-Dec-15
Will likely put the kids on the mission of blowing off the leaves. Yes Pat red oaks surround the field. Thinking about I will not mow it as it still is an attraction for deer at this time.

02-Dec-15
Two words - leaf blower. Get em off. I have tried leaving them on and in one to two seasons, the clover is shot.

02-Dec-15
I am with the don't blow crowd.

02-Dec-15
I am with the don't blow crowd.

05-Dec-15
blow them off ! a mower can break them up when dry . the dead leaves will leave dead spots in the patch.

• Sitka Gear