rooni79 07-Feb-16
IdyllwildArcher 07-Feb-16
rooni79 09-Feb-16
x-man 09-Feb-16
Hawkeye 10-Feb-16
rooni79 11-Feb-16
Barty1970 11-Feb-16
30-Dec-15
G'Day guys, I have been shooting a recurve and longbow for 2.5 years now, and I have also had a compound bow for the last 6 months or so. I have just put a new string on it, and am keen to get it shooting as sweet as possible for the fallow rut in April. A little about me and my bow: I am in rural Australia, with the nearest bow shop 3hrs away. I am LEFT HANDED, DL of 29.5, and the bow is a 2012 Hoyt CRX 35 currently set at approx 65#. Arrows are Gold Tip Hunter Expedition Hunters 75/95 .340 spine, cut to 29.5". The rest is a QAD HDX drop away. I have a bowmaster bowpress. I walk back tuned to check my rest set up and it seemed fine as is. I then did a little bare shaft tuning at 15 yards, and the BS was hitting about 9" to the left (indicating weak.). I put a twist in the right yoke and the BS is now hitting 1.5" to the left. What now? Adjust the rest? Or try another yoke twist? Any help would be great, Mark

30-Dec-15
Shoot it through paper and see what kind of tear you get. Bare shaft tuning really amplifies grip imperfections. Once you are good through paper you can move to BS tuning. If you still get poor bs tuning results you can play with your grip to see if that helps.

30-Dec-15
Really pay attention to starting your grip placement exactly where it is when comfortable at full draw. Once you get "consistent" results each shot, then proceed tuning. You seem to be going about it the correct way.

Get good paper tears at 10 feet and 15 feet. Then walk back tune again. Then fine tune with either bare shaft or broad head tuning.

30-Dec-15
If you are getting bare shafts to hit that close with a compound you have a pretty good setup. One thing thou is if your bare shaft is hitting left the shaft would be considered stiff. Right impact is weak.

30-Dec-15

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
With Hoyts I set the center shot and forget about the rest. I yoke tune from there. You want the arrow running through the Berger hole.

Also Make sure the bow is in time. You want the top cam to be kissing the cable and the bottom cam to be a hair away from touching.

If it's hitting left I would take out a twist or half twist out of the left yoke and add a twist or half twist to the right yoke.

I just tuned my bow after I put a new string on. In my opinion you want the bareshaft and fletched tk fly the exact same. Bareshaft hitting the target strait and not at an angle.

Here is a pic of what I'm looking for when I tune.

30-Dec-15
Thanks heaps guys. I will shoot through some paper and report back.

30-Dec-15
As has been said grip is important. I would also try and increase point weight say 25 grains or so and see if that helps with hitting left but drop away rests make it tough to shoot to stiff but you could be a tad stiff. Shawn

30-Dec-15
It's not a spine issue it is a yoke tuning or grip issue.

30-Dec-15
My Quad HD rest problem was the drop-away was falling too soon.

A whisker biscuit is easier.......

31-Dec-15
Just got back from the shed where I sweated up a storm for 40mins. It's close to 40C out there!!

I took half a twist out of the left yoke, added half into the right and it was hitting bang on at 15m. Thanks Ermine!

When it cools down a little I will see how I am at 20m, then 30m, and then I will see how my BH's are flying.

Now onto silencers, what is the best location? I have two bowjax on the string, but have some cat whiskers I can install also.

Thanks heaps for all the help so far, it is really appreciated :)

31-Dec-15
When you start shooting broadheads. If they are off just play around more with the yoke.

As far as string silencers...I don't use them. I have speed nocks on the string.

Then I have a monkey tail silencer on each cable.

31-Dec-15
I have zero clue what a speed nock is, but I'll google it now :P Coming from the trad side, I am really enjoying this process which is surprising!!

07-Feb-16
G'Day guys, Just thought I would give you an update. I've finally got around to trying to fine tune this bow and I am pretty close! My slick tricks are hitting an inch to the right at 30m. Do I call it good or continue tweaking?

If I was to continue tweaking what do you recommend? Adjust the draw weight to fine tune the arrow spine?

Cheers, Mark

07-Feb-16
Have you shot any other BHs or different weight BHs?

With the work you've done, I doubt you'll get the inch with arrow spine or draw weight based on your current equipment. If someone disagrees, please correct me.

That said, you can hunt with your current setup and you'll be better tuned than 90% of bowhunters and it'll work.

But you can get it shooting better.

I assume moving your rest doesn't get you closer? Have you tried a different spine arrow? I don't suppose you have an arrow that you could cut an inch shorter to try or one that's uncut that you could cut an inch longer to try? Are you doing your testing with a single BH? Have you spin tested it? Have you tried a different BH of the same type?

09-Feb-16
Sorry for the slow reply! I tried some heavier points but saw minimal movement. I bumped the rest a fraction and the BH is hitting nicely. I have only done a few shots, but will confirm over the next few days.

Thanks for you help everyone. Deer season opens in 20 days or so. those fallow bucks are in trouble :)

09-Feb-16
Definitely NOT a spine issue.

10-Feb-16
Good advice in thread and you did what I'd suggest in manipulating the rest ever so slightly once you have the yolks dialed in. Yolks first then "micro" tune broadheads with the rest by group tuning.

11-Feb-16
Yep, she's dialled in. Shot three types of BH's and they are all hitting bang on. Stoked. :) Thanks team!!

11-Feb-16
Good luck and good hunting

• Sitka Gear