Bentstick81 02-Feb-16
CurveBow 02-Feb-16
newboy ace 55 06-Feb-16
IAHUNTER 09-Feb-16
spike78 09-Feb-16
Bentstick81 09-Feb-16
oldgoat 09-Feb-16
31-Jan-16
Due to finger problems, and having to possibly give up my recurve, need help on what type of rest i need to be able to cant my compound bow, and shoot instinctive with release aid? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

31-Jan-16
Whisker Biscuit?

01-Feb-16
Feathers or Plastic? There are several out there that would work. If you anchor real high, the Bisket might get in your line of sight. If you anchor low, no problem. A couple of flipper type rests are still available. Release aid arrows and finger released arrows do act differently so keep that in mind too. Sounds like the ol' "Where there's a will, there's a way" path ahead for you!

01-Feb-16
No biscuit you want side pressure. Lots of rests still made with a cushion plunger. I would buy a plunger and use a cavalier or spig rest. Shawn

01-Feb-16
I did it many years ago and it worked just fine with a flipper rest and a Berger button plunger with vanes. If you do use vanes, stick with lower profile parabolic. But your feathers will do fine too.

01-Feb-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
My buddy has shot compound, instinctive, release for many, many years and he cants the bow. As far as I know, he is still shooting a bodoodle rest.

02-Feb-16
Have you thought about a thumb ring? Or are the shoulders going as well as the fingers?

I'd take a look at what people are using on their ILF rigs, just to start. I'd also give serious consideration to a peep and a kisser. Maybe you don't take ALL of your shots with the bow held plumb, but when you have the option, it's not a bad choice

When I last shot a compound bare-bow, I was still using fingers, it looking through the string worked quite well. Not as well as a peep would have, of course.

And FWIW, Bow-Tech does (or at least used to) pay attention to getting the shaft close to your hand.... At that rate, a flipper might be all you really need....

02-Feb-16
Why would you need a peep to shoot instinctive?

02-Feb-16
GF, are you saying that ALL bowtechs have the setup where the arrow is close to your hand, or a certain bow? Thanks

02-Feb-16
Bentstick - you don't have to give up your recurve. Shoot the recurve using a release. Arrows with feathers won't require any rest other than what you already have.

Fingers releasing causes side to side arrow oscillation. Using a release generates up & down oscillations. I think that about any rest would work if you decide to go the compound route. The issue would be getting the arrow as close to the hand as possible to enhance the instinctive shooting.

I switched to a release with my compound many years ago when I broke a middle finger (seriously!). Once I started using the release, I shot better than I ever had in my life. I ruined a lot of 2514 aluminum shafts by Robin Hooding them that summer!

>>>>-------->

06-Feb-16

09-Feb-16
Shot a Bowdoodle when I shot fingers and it worked great. Still use it on my back up bow.

09-Feb-16
I had the opposite happen to me. I used to shoot my compound with fingers and I shot extremely well. I sold that bow and bought a shorter ATA bow and bought a release. I instantly had target panick after the change.

09-Feb-16
The only thing that i am struggling with right now is trying to find a anchoring point, with the release. I have a Winn Free Flight release, and it works pretty well. Kinda gets your hand away from your face, and allows the pointing finger knuckle, be the only knuckle, near your face. I am shooting pretty good with that knuckle, anchored to my pupil. Just feels really high, for an anchor

09-Feb-16

oldgoat's Link
Doesn't really matter to me what flavor bow you shoot, but for info sake, it's perfectly ok to use a release with your recurve. Had to set my wife up that way, also I will try and find the thread, but there is a guy on the leatherwall that just made a post about a system he came up with that may work, I'll try and find it and attach the link. I've shot my wife's setup and it actually works really well. You have to attach the d-loop a little differently than on a compound and you might have to adjust nock height a little bit nothing to bad. If you want more info, pm me and I can send you pics.

• Sitka Gear