Ironbow-cell 05-Feb-16
olebuck 05-Feb-16
Genesis 05-Feb-16
Paul@thefort 05-Feb-16
leo17 06-Feb-16
01-Feb-16
shoot aluminum and you worries are over. Forrest

01-Feb-16
Ha! The only failures I have had were aluminum.

01-Feb-16
Never had a shaft failure on game. But I make aluminum shaft footing for my FMJ shafts. It adds strength where needed, adds a bit more weight up front, and makes a better transition to the point, both BH and FP. I have had mech. BH failures on turkeys, the only time I would use one. The turkeys still ended up dead.

01-Feb-16

KJC's embedded Photo
KJC's embedded Photo
Friggin' things break all the time.

01-Feb-16
Ziek, I've had the same thing happen, but when I get to eat fried turkey breast, I don't consider it a failure......a mishap, maybe. :)

01-Feb-16
KJC. Are you just a slow learner? ;-)

01-Feb-16
The arrow on the left in the first post looks like it was in the garbage disposal.

01-Feb-16
What is/are the brand(s) of the arrows in the first photo of the thread?

01-Feb-16
I've been shooting aluminum and wood for 40 years, and have never seen a failure like that.

Some of the splintered carbon through the arm photos have convinced me to soldier on same as always...lol.

Im presently shooting 2117's out of a 52lb Whippenstick Phoenix recurve...great performance.

02-Feb-16
I used to foot Easton axis 400s w/ 1 in. of 1916s. The only way that I damaged those arrows was to hit a glancing blow w. something hard. ( Like the side of a tree) But I now use Victory arrows and replace the inserts w/ Easton CB inserts. Being longer I think helps strengthen the front. Gold tip has a 50 gr. machined insert that I think would help also. For strength 1 in. footing helped a lot!

02-Feb-16
What is considered "arrow failure"? ___ shot it into a rock and my insert bent?

Shot the same dozen Axis for 2 years; 3d rounds, tournaments, practice, etc.....and they started to get a little fuzzy on the working end?

Hit something hard and failed to flex check? ___

Are you calling those failures? I have nothing but good experiences with the axis and ling inserts....literally shooting them through a hog and burying the BH so deep in an oak tree i had to unscrew the arrow to use again and leave the BH.

02-Feb-16
I have the same questions as Bendare. I have had arrows explode after a pass through when they then hit a rock or some have snapped from being sheared off by the animals shoulder blade. Are those considered failures?

02-Feb-16
Put some full length inserts in the carbons(either 2 or 3 grains per inch), adds the much needed weight and they won't crack and splinter all over the place after impact if they break. I had one recently fail at a range, back 1/3 snapped off hit me in the hand. That one did not have an insert.

05-Feb-16
If your arrows are doing this hitting turkeys you are doing something really wrong in your arrow building. In 43 years of shooting animals I have never had a failure like that.

Shooting rocks, metal posts and the like I have had a few fail. ;-)

05-Feb-16
I think failures at the insert level have a lot to do with the overall length of the boradhead.

a long broadhead will cause more leverage at the insert putting more force on the side walls of the carbon arrow shaft. I am a firm believer in footing shafts. I shoot a .300 spine and foot it 2".

the gold tip Kenetic shafts are a prime example - the insert/outsert had the same problems and gold tip came up with the new footers ( Ballistic Collars)

also a turkey shot - is generally in the wing joint - and it is very hard Bone!

05-Feb-16
The one on the right looks like some previous shoulder shots of mine (non passthru).I wouldn't consider that failure as I assume that it happens after all forward momentum has stopped.

05-Feb-16
I have NEVER had an arrow failure with Goldtip carbon arrows for the past 15 years while big game hunting. Even 42 turkeys and no failure.

Target practice? Yea, a rock or tree, sure.

My best, Paul

06-Feb-16
I'd be curious to know how old those arrows are. and how many shots they have withstood.

• Sitka Gear