Yellowjacket 06-Feb-16
cyrille 06-Feb-16
easeup 06-Feb-16
Dooner 07-Feb-16
Jaquomo 07-Feb-16
Bob H in NH 08-Feb-16
IaHawkeye 08-Feb-16
02-Feb-16
My article on senior fitness for mountain hunters will be in Bowhunter magazine in early summer.

02-Feb-16
I walk at 4.5 paces on varied inclines, (on machine)2.5-4miles, four times a week. Do arms and chest with the stretchy rubber bands and legs on a machine 3X/wk.

Dune to nad knees and shoulders, I find the machines and bands much better than walking outside and every bit as effective. I am 71 and can still handle a rough hike as long as it is not above 3,500-4,000 feet.

Oh, I supplent that with a of fishing-great workout on the arms.

02-Feb-16
The older I get (I'll be 58 this year) the more critical my diet has become to maintain a high level of fitness.

02-Feb-16
Good advice above.

The defining feature of age, though, more than any other, IMO, is loss of muscle mass. Luckily, it's reversible.

Do what you like, but as you get older, I recommend increasing resistance training as a percentage of your exercise. Nature abhors "stable" ... you will get weaker if you don't resist it.

02-Feb-16
At 62 I have learned enough about myself to train the best way for me for the current hunts I want to do. No reason to train way past what I want to do. Everyone is different with different past injuries and genetics. Additionally, I have three hard core bow hunting friends that are each about 10 years older than me that I learn from.

I remember at 30 years old reading Fred Bear stories where he went on many of his trips in his 50's and 60's and thinking that was incredible! Silly me:)

02-Feb-16
At 59 I hit the gym 3 times a week, try to do some extra cardio on the off days, and eat better I found this year after my elk trip I went downhill while chasing whitetails and its taking longer to get back in shape. Like some have said on here before I think its better to try and stay in shape then get back in shape!

02-Feb-16
61 and retired, I bought a body craft rowing machine a few months back--that pretty much works most muscles in your body--good cardio too-- I use it 5 days a week-- six pack abs hasn't appeared yet but working on it :)-- with a knee replacement and the other knee needing one, the rowing machine isn't hard on my knees-- I also do plenty of yard work with weed eaters and mowing on my properties--I try to stay busy outside-- I'm not a indoor person--

02-Feb-16
I'm 63. I exercise everyday. My main piece of equipment is a concept 2 rower. I'll do 4 miles (30 minutes) and quite often I'll add 8 miles on the stationery bike. I like the rowing machine because its easy on my joints and works out many muscle groups. I also climb a steep staircase at work from 3-8 times (69 step staircase) before work every morning(Mon-Fri). I stay in shape because diabetes runs in my family, all siblings have it, but I don't and I'm sure the exercising is one of the reasons. Also my wife wants to go to Hawaii, but she told me a number of years ago that since my son and I love to hunt together that as long as I physically can hunt the mountains with him, I should, Hawaii can wait. She is regretting making that statement.

Good Luck to everybody trying to stay in shape!

Dan

02-Feb-16
How old do you have to be to have an old guy workout?

02-Feb-16
sfiremedic: Good point! When your age peer hunting buddies you've hung with for many years start dropping off you will know. Many of my buds from the prime years have faded either physically or mentally.

02-Feb-16
Awesome wife Dan, I have a concept 2 at the gym and really like it. Christie Brinkley is 62 today maybe watching her videos would help.

02-Feb-16
Some of you guys are amazing! Good job. I try to work out too as I want to bowhunt as long as I can. I try to work out regularly but kid's schedules often get in the way. I try to walk on the treadmill in the winter 2 to 3 days a week and try to do weights a couple times a week also. In the summer I will run 3 miles 2 to 3 times a week. But I'm only 53. I do weights on chest, arms, legs and back muscles. I focus on my shoulders with therabands. I have bad shoulders and I do several things with the bands for my shoulders. I also stretch weekday mornings before work to avoid the hell I went through in 2009-2010 with sciatica and for my shoulders. I honestly can pull my bow better now than I could 10 years ago.

02-Feb-16
Mentally envision yourself as Dwight Schuh...

Mark

02-Feb-16
I go to the gym 4-5 days a week. I do about 50 minutes to an hour of weights, but since I am 55 and sort of beat up, I don't lift near as heavy as I did when I was young and in great shape. I usually do more reps, lower weight and less time between sets. I also tried to walk at least a couple miles a day but I have been having some issues with my knees since Nov. I like to walk outside just to get some fresh air. I tried to hit some hills and walk as fast as I can up but going down, I have to go slow. That actually hurts my knees more than anything. I guess that's the price you pay for 26 years of jumping out of airplanes. LOL Jay

02-Feb-16
At 68 I find that recovery and sleep are important. I run 3 days a week but never back to back. I lift on the off days and never push for the one extra rep that might cause me to have to lay off. I cycle 2 days a week to use a different muscle group. I cut back from time to time but never stop completely as it's too hard to rebuild fitness after you age. Barring injury I will do the Bataan Death March Marathon in March. Running and walking.

03-Feb-16
I added 25 and 35 lb kettlebells to my workout this winter at the urging of my senior bowhunter/personal trainer friend. Sorry I waited until age 61+ to incorporate them. What a wonderful, versatile, low impact workout tool for us older guys!

My lifelong hunting buddy went to a "boot camp" for older guys and returned as a kettle bell aficionado too.

03-Feb-16
There is no doubt that physical workouts are important and I do them with moderation 4-5 times a week at the gym.

This morning with 10-12 in of new snow on the ground I cranked up the snow blower. I did mine and three of my senior neighbors driveways also. Five hours later I was home in the hot shower. Boy, did that feel good.

Keeping active is so important but so is the MENTAL aspect of keeping fit and also to continue to bow hunt.

Mentally, YOU HAVE GOT TO WANT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

my best, Paul PS, will be 76 next month.

03-Feb-16
Who you callin' old, Willis....

Alot, well, in my life anyway, can be done by simply not doing everything possible to avoid extra work. Use the stairs ya lazy bugger...

Carry those bags of groceries across the parking lot instead of loading in the cart... In fact just go park in the corner of the lot and not spend 10 minutes circling it like a vulture for a parking spot.... Walk the golf course and carry your clubs... carts are for sissies.... Wash you own damn car....

I know folks that hire a yard guy to mow the lawn and dig up the garden, then go to the gym and walk on a treadmill for the next hour..... Guys in our club take two trucks, park one at the bottom of the mountain, (think chukar hunt) drive to the top and hunt down to the lower truck. Why not just use one truck? Or better yet, park low and walk up? The birds don't run as much, don't wild flush as much and when they do flush give you a better shot. Win win.

Wish I had more time to actually even "work out". But it is what it is. You can do a lot just during the course of everyday life.

03-Feb-16
There are so many ways to work out because of one thing: The Novice Effect.

The Novice Effect is noticed when a person who is sedentary decides to "do something". A "do something" he does. He picks this, that, or the other of current "exercises" and he quickly notices improvement.

Improvement (in any measure you pick -- strength, distance, time, flexibility) comes quickly with ANY exercise that a sedentary person does. IMPROVEMENT is created by asking your body to do something beyond what it usually does and forces the body to ADAPT.

But ... ADAPT is exactly what the body does. And soon, a larger stress is needed to stimulate ADAPTATION.

This effect occurs with any "exercise" for a while, but "exercise", as most of us use the term, is not for adaptation, but maintenance. It's the SAME stress over and over -- the usual prescription "30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise 4x a week". To continue to make improvements, you need to continue to add stress.

In other words, if you're thinking that running 3 miles 3x a week will result in continued weight loss, you'll be disappointed. Your body ADAPTS to that stress long before your goal of weight loss is met.

This is usually where I would make the distinction between "training" and "exercise". Training involves increasing the stress in a measured way to continue the process of adaptation. Exercise is just ... pointless calorie burning. (I shouldn't say "pointless" as there are other reasons to exercise, like the good feeling you get, or better sleep, etc.)

So pick what you like ... yoga, kettle bells, jogging ... but realize the Novice Effect will soon give you a body that has adapted to that stress, and there will be no more improvement -- just a long plateau.

If you like your level of fitness, then exercise is great. But if you have a goal, exercise won't get you there; training will.

03-Feb-16
Want low impact (bad knee club member here), good cardio and leg strength?

One word: spinning

you push as hard (or not) as your body can handle that day. A good spinning workout will leave your cardio pushed hard and your legs burning.

03-Feb-16
At what age does a guy reply to a thread called "Work Outs for Old Guys".

Not sure what the qualifiers are? :)

03-Feb-16
"At what age does a guy reply to a thread called "Work Outs for Old Guys". Not sure what the qualifiers are? :) "

I say it's anyone over 30. LOL. I'm 55, on HP pill, borderline diabetic, overweight, along with a couple of other things. I've been trying to correct it on my own for a couple of years without much success. last December the motor on my treadmill burned up. it actually smoked. Jan 1st, I joined a gym that helped me set up an exercise routine instead of replacing that treadmill. so far it's been the best thing I've done. the trainer at the gym slowed me down, I was going to do too much too fast and strain some muscles. that would have set me back instead of making progress. I did that last summer, pushed myself, got muscle strain then gained the weight back during the recovery.

03-Feb-16
I think you're in the club as of today, Cnelk. Or maybe it was last year.

03-Feb-16
I'm 50 so can I chime in??

You guy's just need to find a girl friend that's 20 years younger than you. :) \ Xcrossfit for me each year starting in April. I do it 2 days a week and then hike a ski resort a few miles from my house twice to 3 times a week. Many of times with a head light on my head. With work sometimes I can't get there till 8pm. I'm not a little guy, not tall but stocky. I seem to loose 25 lbs by elk season. I hope that's fat. :) I'm also pretty sure I put some muscle on too.

Last year I didn't do my traditional 2 week elk hunt. but did pronghorn instead, which was a little easier. :)

I seem to be the old guy on the elk hunts and get ask by the young one's to slow down. I hope that keeps happening. :)

Ed

03-Feb-16
John, good points about exercise vs training. I think a lot depends on the age and physical condition of the person since we're all different, and the individual goals.

With a few exceptions, an experienced mountain hunter in his 60s and beyond is happy to maintain a high-level plateau unless training for something especially grueling, like a sheep hunt, for instance.

But a Midwest whitetail hunter who maintains a general fitness plateau suitable for his outdoor activities would need "training" to prepare for an elk hunt in the mountains.

I've been to the gym with Paul. Don't let him fool you, he goes for the girls. "Hi Paul! Paul's here! There's Paul!" I noticed his treadmill is always behind a couple bunnies for some reason...

03-Feb-16
Between 50 & 59 you're older, at 60+ you can now officially be using the term old! (grin)

I'm in the 60+ but refuse to go down without a fight! (grin) With a year around fitness routine it's much easier to stay in reasonable shape. I like mixing things up every couple of months to keep things interesting & exciting for myself & my muscle groups. Just started the Wave training on bench presses & I really like the injection of this, feels great!

Weights, cardio & core are the three main focuses for me, it's a complete body workout & has served me well through many a hunting seasons. Can't stress enough a 20 minute stretching routine in the mornings 7 days a week as well. I'll do whatever it takes to stay in elk shape! It helps to be retired to have the time too! (grin)

ElkNut1

03-Feb-16
"You guy's just need to find a girl friend that's 20 years younger than you. :) "

I have enough trouble maintaining the wife I have, I don't need any more problems. LOL

03-Feb-16
Teeton, My gf is 17 years younger so I'm close....lol!

03-Feb-16
I married one 9 years younger and all was well and good until a couple realities set in. When I'm old enough for Medicare we'll still have to pay for very expensive Obamacare for her for 9 more years.

Haven't looked at the cost of an individual plan, but our joint plan, which is a mid-level with high deductible and high copays, costs $1,600 a month. That's a heck of a jolt to a fixed retirement income, especially with minimal investment gains in the market and having to draw money out when it's dropping.

Don't think I could afford one 17 years younger. That's a luxury for rock stars and movie stars...

03-Feb-16
Wow! I've never been to a gym, maybe I should start?? (grin)

ElkNut1

03-Feb-16
Its a comprehensive thing for me with a constant battle of;

Staying in shape

Stretching and maintaining flexibility

I mix in high intensity longer workouts- which are what really make the difference if you want to hunt in the mtns

And I like the low impact Cycling and hiking hills for cardio

03-Feb-16
I'll be 60 in April and so far so good. I've had issues with my shoulder and back for years but have also exercised routinely, which has made the difference. I'll be elk hunting in 2017 which has me a little concerned. These flatlander lungs might give me trouble. I was at 8K feet last season in CO and I could really feel it.

03-Feb-16
First thing, dump processed food and sugar. Even beer. I can exercise until I'm wrung out like a dry sponge but if my nutrition isn't good, I will pack on fat and weight.

03-Feb-16
"Even beer."

Whaaaa?????

I agree on the processed food and sugar. I have cut way back on any kind of bread or pasta....even whole grain. Think Paleo. It's working out very well for me BUT I will always have a cheat meal or two per week. Moderation is key!

Lou, why ruin a good thing with marriage? ;-)

03-Feb-16
razerhead,

Would like to here more on the Tai Chi, I could use the flexibility. I too have an older hunting buddy that is in amazing shape. He gives me both hope and inspiration to continue my obsession with elk hunting.

My best news in a while is that my heart rhythm has finally been corrected with an "Ablation Procedure" Getting rid of the A-fib or A-flutter will go a long way toward making this hunter more effective. peace-of-mind for my Lady and the family too. They have been worried too often as I refuse to pass up a September in elk country. Two more weeks of Whitetail season and I too will start my workout program. Will be looking for more on this subject. Great thread! LaGriz

03-Feb-16
How is working out with a kettle bell different from free weights?

03-Feb-16
I'm 68 and a diabetic- therefore, proper diet and exercise are mandatory. I work out cardio and sensible weight lifting/resistance 5-6 days a week.

Also some of the keys I have learned to weight loss and stabilization are:

1. Keep the exercise program scrambled to lose body 2. Reframe from carbs after 2 PM

Always remember what Dirty Harry said, "A man has got to know his limitations."

03-Feb-16
Lou. Girls? Yoga pants are in. My God are they!

My best, Paul

03-Feb-16
midwest, I believe cheat meals need to be indexed to insulin sensitivity/ resistance. Some folks can do it. Some can't.

The beer thing kills me - and I do cheat occasionally - but I don't drink 5% of what I used to. If it is a staple of a Sumo wrestler's diet, it isn't a staple of mine. :)

03-Feb-16
BC, take a look at some beginner kettlebell videos on YouTube and you'll see why there's a huge difference. For instance, a five minute series of only one or two kettlebell swing will work out multiple parts of your body, including core, hips, knees, arms, shoulders, and major cardio with low impact on all.

I thought I was in really good shape with the free weights and band resistance until I started with them. Then I discovered I wasn't in as good of shape as I believed. I still do free weights and resistance, but now add-in several swings and lifts to my routine.

True, a few of the kettlebell exercises like shoulder presses and lunges can be done with free weights, but you can't do most of the kettlebell exercises with dumbbells because they are too bulky and don't have a handle to work with.

03-Feb-16

Jaquomo's Link
Here's a good video of a basic kettlebell beginner workout. The Amazon blonde is smiling throughout. I guarantee I wasn't smiling after about a minute of this when I first started! :-)

03-Feb-16

ahunter55's embedded Photo
I'm like Elknut, never been in a Gym or did an exercise program. Well, uhh, I did serve in the Military 5 years Navy/Marines & 3 Army. My knees are shot from running track/cross country as a kid & humping hills with full gear. Done tons of walking younger years with 35 or heavier packs ect. Lot's of our older years will be determined by our younger years physical abuse & what our body decides to do health wise & many times we have no control over it. What do I do now? I shoot Field tournaments 28 target & 112 arrows, I shoot 900 & 600 round Target (90 & 60 arrows 40-50-60 yds) & a lot of other shooting. 60# Compound & 50# Longbow. I "KNOW" what I am capable of physically & just use common sense. 2016 starts 60 years in the sport & I'm 74+. One reason my knees are shot. The photo (Mule Deer Buck at 10,000 feet) was back when I was around 40 & young & dumb. Oh, I put in 32 years in a Steel Mill too, no light work there.

03-Feb-16
I'm 54 and now retired (at least until my kids are through school) from mountain hunting but fitness is still very important to me. Been doing various forms of cardio including lots of hiking, and have lifted weights most of my life. But I do CrossFit 2-4 times a week now and I've never looked forward to my workouts like I do now. It's the best all around training method I've ever experienced.

03-Feb-16
Bodies in motion stay in motion. Never let go and never give up. As we get older, life throws more curveballs at us. By keeping active, you can assess normal aches and differentiate them from developing situations.

You have to get smarter about everything. Progressive overload is one thing (with careful self-monitoring on reaction, recovery rates, etc.). Plunking on a really heavy pack at altitude in uneven terrain is just plain stupid. Nothing has to be a big (almost always unpleasant)surprise if you keep at it and work into it.

Walking is something that god willing most of us will be able to do well for a long time. Hiking hills at speed, particularly carrying weight, will keep you honest about your fitness and recovery, and slots directly into hunting activity.

Stretching is something that keeps the downtime down. I stretch daily and it really helps to keep the muscles limber.

Smart core exercises are key to keeping your back ok and make you a heck of lot more stable on uneven terrain.

Weight, diet, booze, all factor into what you can or can't do. You're not 10 feet tall and bulletproof anymore. Set your priorities and act accordingly.

03-Feb-16
I guess I can reply to this thread since Im 52 today. Im a single dad of 2 college kids, Im in decent shape. I can do most things guys 20 years younger. I dont have any trouble staying physically and mentally active. I dont 'work out' per se but I just may start now that I have more time.

I also 'live'! I enjoy a cocktail or beer after work. And I work hard and play hard.

Three years from today is my retirement date.

03-Feb-16
the difference between kettle bell and dumbbell is the balance of it. Kettle bell never really balances that well so the weight load is always shifting. The handle makes it easier to do things like the swings etc, but you could do them with barbells, but it's not the same.

03-Feb-16
I worked out once. Didn't like it.

03-Feb-16

Gazi's embedded Photo
Gazi's embedded Photo

03-Feb-16
Thanks Jaquomo, have to try that.

03-Feb-16
50 yo and find P90x to be a great all around fitness routine. Great combination of strength and flexibility. Follow the diet as well and you will lose significant weight.

03-Feb-16
P90X and all the iterations are great if you need to buy a canned program to do what you need to do. The huge majority of people who buy the program abandon it pretty quickly. Lots of free YouTube videos that will accomplish the same thing.

As I've learned, maintaining fitness for a hard-core mountain hunter over 60 is a different process than a DVD provides, since everybody is different and nobody is "Tony". Tony isn't a mountain bowhunter in his 7th decade with 60 years of wear and tear on the body.

But if it works for you, that's great! Check in with us in 10 or 15 years and let us know how you're doing.

04-Feb-16

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
At 56 I got a Fitbit. Best piece of fitness equipment I ever purchased. Pushes you without saying a word. My typical week.

04-Feb-16
I wasn't going to have another beer till I read this thread. Now I'm thinking that my arm could use the exercise.

Thank you Bowsite. For motivating me to exercise.

04-Feb-16
The biggest issue I have with any of the video is you have to really REALLY watch your form.

things like P90X and Insanity (I've done that one) are good and do work, BUT as you get tired (and older) form is key. I forgot this last week doing an insanity workout and my back has been making me pay since. Lots of squats and jumps and you have to have good form or it hurts.

Doing the same workout in a class with a good instructor has peer pressure PLUS they watch your form.

Bottom line: any of this is better than sitting on the couch.

04-Feb-16
Good discussion on helping many realize that a balanced stretching & work out routine can lead to a better & healthier lifstyle. This can carry over into our hunting adventures & overall good health.

We all have to start somewhere & hopefully grow from there as we see benefits in our endurance & that just feel better attitude! Lots of benefits there.

Doesn't matter if we're new & start with short walks & a few jumping jacks, let's do anything to start the motor, no need to put the pedal to the floor right off the bat, ease into a workout & add things to keep it fresh, or as you feel the need to challenge yourself further. It's all about conditioning your mind & body, seeing & feeling positive results will motivate us to continue to press on.

ArrowOne, the P90X program is a great start, perform to your level & advance as your body craves more. You can always up your intensity or move on to other forms of work outs, nothing written in stone here! Sites like this can help fuel our motivation & desire to push on when we hit those "I'm tired" barriers. Good luck, you will do well!

ElkNut1

04-Feb-16
Note to self: Make sure my arms are long enough to swing that kettle ball between my legs!

04-Feb-16
When I was younger I didn't need a reason to workout. Now I need a reason. It's easy to train in spring and summer with the goal of being in top condition for chasing elk by Sept. Much more difficult to train the other half of the year.

12yds... if your arms aren't long enough you probably don't have much to worry about. :)

05-Feb-16
I'm not a fan of machines, but if you have the chance to pick up a Nordic Rider cheap (they resell for really cheap) it's a great multi-purpose body weight tool. Sitting in one spot you can do rowing, chest press, curls, and leg press, plus serious cardio.

It a nice diversion from other routine exercises, you can watch TV doing it. I've had mine for at least 15 years and it's still going strong. Good for keeping those large back muscles strong and in shooting shape, too.

05-Feb-16

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Don't have time. Roofing my house.

05-Feb-16
I'm going to turn 60 this year. I swim a couple of miles most days...sprint the last 3/4 of a mile in 100 yard increments with 10 seconds rest. I feel like if I don't feel like I'm going to puke or die every single workout I'm not doing it right.

I'm lucky...my lower leg is mostly titanium and stainless steel now from a skiing accident and I can't run anymore or bike......but where I live there are pools everywhere. It don't do much to help you get ready for the mountains though.....

I just did 3500 yards in 47 minutes on my lunch break...plus there was good looking chicks at the pool today!

06-Feb-16
"I feel like if I don't feel like I'm going to puke or die every single workout I'm not doing it right."

Haha...I have the same affliction....if I'm not totally gassed, I feel like I wasted my time!

Swimming is tough and one heck of a great workout. The last time I did a swimming workout, we had to leave the pool to make room for the water aerobics class. Unfortunately, the scenery wasn't quite as good as what yours was....mostly large blue hairs. :-(

06-Feb-16
the first muscle you get in shape is your heart, do some lite aerobics and keep track of your heart rate. then when your heart is in reasonable shape go for the hard stuff

06-Feb-16

sbschindler's embedded Photo
sbschindler's embedded Photo
at 64 I haul logs but I don't use a truck.

06-Feb-16

Oh, I have 11 Grand kids & 1 great. We see them lots. I get exercise, lots..

06-Feb-16
At 58 I guess I might qualify for this thread.

Another kettlebell fan here. I do a kb class once or twice a week at the gym. About 40-45 minutes in a HIIT format.

If I miss a class I'll do a half of a Viking Warrior workout, 40 rounds / 20 minutes (full workout is 80 rounds / 40 minutes) Each round is 15 second on, 15 second off of snatches. Warm up and cool down with a couple of TABATA rounds of swings. Big plus for me is it's super efficient time wise. I'll also mention I'm doing this after doing some personal training with a certified KB trainer to learn proper form.

06-Feb-16
I'm very, very close to becoming seventy-five in earth years. In my profession as a "mail-man" after military service of six years I walked approximately 7 miles a day. Which I have found to be very helpful after I retired twenty years ago this April. After retirement I would cycle about the same amount of miles that I walked while working and do archery on alternate days. I quite cycling last year 2015. but still shoot my 50# LB as often as I can, weather and health permitting. (Some years I catch cold.)[ I tried the "gym" thing shortly after I retired but except for swimming I found it rather boring. ]

06-Feb-16
OK guys I am with what is posted here. but what do you guys do routinely for the pain? I am also a lifelong athlete and still exercise daily. Joint pain can still leave a lot of guys back. Like I still wake up at night with hip joint pain. I am sure others have aches and pain also. what do you say?

07-Feb-16
At 64, I do a combination of p90X and hiking with weighted packs in the mountains where I live. I also live for skiing every winter. I don't like gyms; it took me years to get over athletes foot caught in a gym.

07-Feb-16
I used to suffer from hip joint pain. Couldn't sleep, couldn't find a comfortable position to sit or lie down. I tried all sorts of home treatments and therapies. Finally went to an ortho, got a new hip, and now have no more pain.

My only discomfort comes if I'm doing too much hiking and not enough work on the quads, etc, which leads to "runner's knee" syndrome. But getting back on the bikes and doing some specific exercises for that will imbalance send it away pretty quickly.

08-Feb-16
step 1 with joint pain, find out why!

step 2: alter the program to alleviate step 1!

Me, main issue was/is knees. Ortho pretty much told me "you shouldn't run anymore". So I pretty much don't. I do bike, do HIIT classes, you can "low impact" many things to reduce stress on the joints.

step 1 is key cause if it's something structural, you want it fixed.

08-Feb-16
I'm 77. My knees need replacing but can't do it yet. My wife and I do 3 one hour non-stop sessions of water aerobics a week plus 2 days of low weight nautalis exercises Water aerobics is great for my joints, lots of movement with resistance, etc. I had to give up walking outside or mall walking.

• Sitka Gear