Paul@thefort 09-Feb-16
Heat 09-Feb-16
Amoebus 09-Feb-16
Heat 09-Feb-16
smarba 09-Feb-16
Two Feathers 09-Feb-16
Lone Wolf 10-Feb-16
02-Feb-16
I drew a tag for a bison hunt in Arizona this summer. The hunt will take place on the Kaibab Plateau. Ambush hunting around salt or water is the most successful approach to get a bison so I am going to need a ground blind. People with experience hunting these critters suggest sitting all day. The season is 14 days and the days will be approximately 14 hours long so a treestand is pretty much out of the question especially considering the anatomy of a bison with the heart so low in the chest and the big hump on top.

I have no experience with these but I think I want one that has the highest quality of materials and design and big enough for two people to sit comfortable for a long time.

Please let me know what brand and model you recommend.

Thanks!

02-Feb-16
Bought 10 Cabela's Predator Den models 3 years ago for whitetail and bear outfitting. They have been great, easy and quick to set up and takedown. I always make sure they are completely dry before storing them and they still look and perform like new.

02-Feb-16
I am a big fan of Double Bull blinds. After using a bunch by other makers over the years I've been impressed with their materials and durability the most. Even after they were purchased by Primos they still seem a cut above the others IMO.

02-Feb-16
If you want lots of room, great windows, and solid construction take a look at Double Bull Double Wide. I had problems with my poles when I first got them but they sent new hubs that have worked perfect ever since. They are a solid blind and I'm pretty sure a lifetime warrantee that they stand behind. If you can find a Double Bull Dark Horse somewhere I've heard they are even better.

02-Feb-16
I just bought a reaper blind from ASAT camo for 100 dollars, goes up in seconds and comes down just as quick. IMO you can't beat the ASAT pattern, deer don't mind it at all.

02-Feb-16
I'll second both thr Predator Den and the Primos blinds. I have both. The Primos is better quality, but costs twice as much. If I were buying one for a certain hunt, I'd go the Predator Den route.

03-Feb-16
I used a Primos Club XL on the Kaibab. It's got enough room so that I could effectively shoot a 60" recurve. Putting a second person in there would have been TIGHT. The second person would have to always be careful to stay out of the shooter's way.

Besides just for camouflage you'll want to make sure that the blind is in the shade during the middle of the day. Also, this blind has vents on the top. You'll want to make sure the top vents are open. I prop them open with sticks when needed.

Good luck.

03-Feb-16
I prefer the Hay Bale Blinds although they are not as fast to set up and you need to be able to drive close to where you want to set one up. They are very comfortable and plenty of room for 2 hunters. there is no need to brush them in either.

06-Feb-16
Double Bull hands down first choice for me for a portable blind but you can buy a couple Club XL for the price of a Double Bull.

Best overall value in my opinion is Club XL. Club XXL is actually a little too big. I have them both. If you are really tall you may want it. They really should have named it Club XLT.

I've owned various brands that were whatever happened to have the lowest price sales. Some were worth the sale price. Some were junk. All were noisy to get in and out as well as opening/closing the windows. Slide up windows like the double bull are nice. Botton up and down like the club isn't quite as nice but beats having to us the zippers.

There a net style cover for ground blinds to help hold brush. Brushing in well makes a huge difference. They also make bale bling type wraps for some blinds.

09-Feb-16
I love the ASAT pattern and bought an ASAT reaper blind. It started falling apart the first time I used it. Zippers tearing out, fabric ripping etc... total junk.

My next blind was a Rhino. I love the blind and the fabric has been solid but the pole connections break regularly. Called the company and was sent a bag full of the connections to keep replacing as they break but disappointing that I need to do that.

When I buy my next one, I'm going to bite bullet and try a double bull - hopefully that one holds up.

09-Feb-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Pictured is my Double Bull Dark Horse blind set up for pronghorn and it was in this position for over two weeks on the eastern prairie of Colorado.

If one anchors it down properly and also with outrigger lines and heavy 12 inch spike nails, it can stand up to heavy winds.

I would expect, if left unattended, like cattle, the bison might destroy it as they love to rub on stuff.

my best, Paul

09-Feb-16
This is a very unique bison hunt that will take place on the Kaibab Plateau at just short of 9,000 Feet ASL in Spruce/Fir and Aspen forest. Not sure if the haybale approach is going to work unless I want to sit out in the big meadow all day staring at the cars going by on the Highway. If they are hanging around long enough to be rubbing on my blind tearing it up, wherever it is, that is indeed a good thing! These are free ranging wild animals that are accustomed to life on the Grand Canyon National Park. They know exactly where the fenceline is and only come across for water, salt, and good grass when conditions are right. They react negatively to the slightest human pressure when away from the Highway in and out of the Park. With the deep snows and generally wet conditions forecast for this spring, I will be praying for dry weather during May, June, and early July to get them coming to the Forest side where I might have a crack at them. This is going to be one of, if not the hardest hunt I will experience in Arizona.

Here is the disclaimer that AZGFD puts in the Regulations about this hunt:

HOUSE ROCK BISON HUNT SPECIAL NOTE: During the House Rock herd hunts, a significant portion of the herd has moved to the Grand Canyon National Park where hunting is not allowed. Hunters are advised that their ability to successfully harvest a bison may be significantly impacted. As with any hunt, circumstances beyond the control of the Arizona Game and Fish Department may prevent the permit holder from being successful. The Arizona Game and Fish Department and Commission disclaims any responsibility to reissue or replace a permit, to reinstate bonus points, to refund any fees, or to provide any other form of relief. The House Rock bison hunt is considered to be one of the most difficult hunts in the state. Bison can be difficult to locate. Plan on spending the entire season hunting, as an abbreviated hunt will lower your chances of success. Bison hunters must dress and care for their own animals; the Department will not assist. Take time to improve your physical condition. Hunters are often required to walk considerable distances (up to 8 miles) every day over rugged terrain. House Rock hunters should be prepared for remote and primitive conditions. High clearance or four-wheel drive vehicles are recommended.

Some portions of House Rock herd area are included in the U.S. Forest Service wilderness system that does not preclude hunter access but does limit their means of transportation and equipment usage. Hunts occurring later in the fall may be affected by snow, making access more difficult. Hunters should be prepared for severe winter conditions and low availability of bison. For more information, call the Flagstaff Regional Office at 928-774-5045.

09-Feb-16
No way that you can make a blind out of natural materials? It sounds like you are going to be hiking a lot and carrying around a 50 lb blind doesn't seem like the best approach. Maybe a ghillie suit/jacket would be better?

Or, do you have an ambush spot in mind? If so, can you borrow a blind for the week (if you don't use one the rest of the year)?

09-Feb-16
I might hike once the cabin fever of sitting in the blind for 14 hours a day sets in after a week or so but mostly I will be sitting. I think that hiking comment was more applicable when the herd was actually down on the House Rock Ranch Wildlife Area, which is much more like what you expect for open range bison country. Poor conditions on that range along with hunting pressure pushed these animals onto the Grand Canyon National Park which is now a giant refuge, since there is no hunting allowed on the park. As I mentioned above they wander off the Park to meet their needs occasionally and I hope to be where they do come across, when they do.

A natural blind would work but the pop up blind is better for staying out of the elements and concealing scent and movement maybe a little bit better than a natural blind. Trying to be at the right place at the right time while out hiking is pure luck at best. By far my best approach for this hunt will be to ambush at a salt lick or waterhole where they can show up at at anytime. The other way I know a few guys got theirs in recent years was by getting lucky and shooting one out of the big herd that sometimes congregates out along Highway 67 in the big open meadow. I would rather not have an audience and have to shoot one there, but I will do what it takes to be successful within ethical, legal, and other reasonable bounds.

I have had some generous offers to borrow a blind but I would prefer to practice shooting out of one before I hunt, and would rather just have my own and not have to worry about screwing up someone else's stuff or having some a-hole steal it while I have it set out somewhere.

09-Feb-16
While a pop-up can block scent better than a natural blind, I find it typically not worth the effort to haul one in very far. Some paracord and a cheap camouflage tarp for the roof can be used in conjunction with poles, logs, brush and other natural materials that one doesn't have to haul in on one's back to create a relatively weathertight blind for hunting over water/salt. Also has the advantage of being able to be constructed to fit between odd-sized locations between trees/brush for maximum ability to blend in.

That said, ASAT Reaper is awesome camouflage (best IMO), relatively inexpensive, and yes, not the quality of other brand mentioned here. But it's what I use.

09-Feb-16

Two Feathers's Link
If it were me I would get one of these...

10-Feb-16
Have you looked at Rhino ground blinds. They are a quality product at a good price.

• Sitka Gear