jtelarkin08 04-Feb-16
Mule Power 04-Feb-16
IdyllwildArcher 04-Feb-16
BULELK1 05-Feb-16
Franzen 05-Feb-16
Mule Power 05-Feb-16
IaHawkeye 06-Feb-16
04-Feb-16
I'm specifically talking about Region G here. I would like to draw this tag within a couple years, but don't know if it is doable.

I've recently reviewed past years odds and it appeared that creep was maybe a little less than 1 point a year... maybe 0.75. Anyone keep track of this any better?

Honestly I didn't look at the Special, as I don't know how I feel about paying the higher price. I may have to consider it as I only have 3 points now. I will likely be there hunting elk in the fall and was hoping to do muleys in '17. Any other thoughts?

04-Feb-16
You have it correct. Creep is actually a hair higher in the Special draw. If you plan to hunt in 2017 you best apply for the Special with your 4 points. Only another $240 and the odds aren't a huge difference but better for sure. I wouldn't let that amount of money stand between me and any hunt I wanted to do.

DIY or outfitted? G is huge with a wide range of terrain from foothills to above timberline rocky peaks. I'll be there in 2017 myself. My partner guided there for Non Typical Outfitters for several years so I'm in good hands.

I LOVE hunting the highest of high country down there! It will be painful because the bulls will be bugling but I am not even bringing an elk tag to tempt me so I can focus on deer.

If I don't draw my elk tag this month I might put the mule deer hunt on the fast track to this year.... if I can get lucky with 4 points.

The thought of hunting an animal with giant antlers that doesn't result in packing 4 back breaking loads of meat makes me giggly! lol

04-Feb-16
I should re-phrase that a bit. Prior to looking at the odds recently I had been hoping to do the hunt in '17. Then I looked at odds and realized there was pretty much zero chance of drawing a preference point tag for me in the regular draw. Very disheartening.

This went from a hunt where demand slightly outpaced supply to a legitimate high-demand hunt where 1 point "creep" can be expected. When I first started obtaining points, the amount required to draw was fairly stagnant.

Realistically, I'm looking at early 2020s to draw if even the 0.75 point creep holds out. I'm pretty disgusted right now. I love Wyoming and consider it a home-away-from-home of sorts, but I doubt I play these kind of point games long.

This will be a DIY hunt. You are pretty set with the hunt once you can go MP. I've got pretty good knowledge of the area.

04-Feb-16
You could always put in your time up in H. There are some really nice bucks up there too. Way easier draw.

04-Feb-16
I put in with a buddy this year for G. He will have 2 points going into the special draw and I will have 4 points going into the special draw. So i am guessing we will be applying with 3 in the special draw. Does anyone know our odds?

04-Feb-16
Hey All,

I am thinking of burning my 10 Wyo deer points this year.

I have way to many for G but would Group Appl. with someone that wants to hunt G.

I hunt elk in a few units of the G overlap deer units, so I see plenty of nice muley bucks.

Just tossing an idea out---

PM's or Email are just fine.

[email protected]

Good luck, Robb

04-Feb-16
Sold if you wait until next year Robb!!! Dangit... I already have my elk app. in with 2 points.

larkin, by applying with your buddy you essentially knocked your odds down to 0% in the preference point draw.

04-Feb-16
Pm and Email Sent

04-Feb-16
PM sent Robb. I have 4 points but that doesn't guarantee anything. As long as you are willing to wait for the elk draw results to come out before applying for deer.

04-Feb-16
"larkin, by applying with your buddy you essentially knocked your odds down to 0% in the preference point draw."

Yeah, you probably would have had a shot in the PP round. Now you're down to just the random round and you'll be looking at somewhere about 1 in 12 odds.

05-Feb-16
Okay--I pretty much got all your Emails or PM's responded to!! Whewwww haha

Sorry for the confusion JT and thank you very much for the offer.

Franzen-- let us see how the 2-3 early draws play out on drawn tags before the Wyo deer appl in May---for 2017 options--fair enough?

Plus Joe could pick you up on his way thru Ill. to Wyo next year!

Good luck, Robb

05-Feb-16
Appreciate the offer Robb. With your luck drawing I might have a chance. ;^)

05-Feb-16
This thread is calming my nerves when it comes to the elk draw. The thought of living on the craggy tops for 2 weeks sounds like a dream. It's been on my bucket list for awhile now.

If I see the word "unsuccessful" for my elk app I'll just smile. :-)

06-Feb-16
Guess the people that matter know what the heck you're talking about. I and I'm sure many others clicked on creep and have no clue. When, where, what, why, who (not in that order) would explain your post, but then as I said before, the guys you were asking know what your post is saying.

• Sitka Gear