orionsbrother 04-Feb-16
TD 05-Feb-16
TEmbry 05-Feb-16
elkstabber 05-Feb-16
huntingbob 06-Feb-16
IdyllwildArcher 06-Feb-16
orionsbrother 07-Feb-16
04-Feb-16
Who here has taken the plunge and swapped out their bag for a quilt? I have done a bit of google research and the idea seems like a good one, and a good way to free up quite a bit of room. I'd like to hear from some guys that have used one in colder temps, say down into the 20's or so. Did you find the quilt adequate?

04-Feb-16
Absolutely not. I've used a bag, sometimes 2 many times. In recent years in my old camp trailer I use sheets, blankets, and quilts down to about 15 degrees but it takes muliples and if you move around too much you find the cold spots.

I switched because I get up more than once during the night and it's just more convenient but it takes a lot more bedding.

04-Feb-16
LKH, I don't think he's talking about quilts in the traditional sense... There are these new, fancy, "all the rage" down quilts out there for hiking/back packing.

I've got too much money wrapped up in sleeping bags for me to consider buying one to try.

04-Feb-16
I'm using a quilt when I'm not in really wet or extreme cold conditions.

I have a 10* quilt and I use a silk liner to help keep my accumulated taint and oils from getting the quilt dirty. ( I have concerns that repeated washings will reduce the water resistance of the treated down ) That extra layer probably adds a few extra degrees on the low end too.

Coldest night I've been under my quilt was mid to high teens, I think. I slept just fine. I also wear a beanie and base layers.

Make sure that you have a pad with adequate r value.

I started using a quilt a couple of years ago and am very happy. The space and weight savings are very nice.

Because of my crazy work schedule, I probably only have 45-50 nights under a quilt though. And a few of those are camping with the kids, hardly what you'd call "in the field". So qualify my opinion.

04-Feb-16
I borrowed one this past fall to try on a backpack trip. I guess I move around to much for a quilt. I kept getting cold spots. For me I'll stay with my Big Agnes Mystic bag. It's is only 2 lbs 5 oz (bag) with the insulated air core sleep pad,, they work for me.

Maybe I'm missed how to really use it right. ????

Ed

04-Feb-16
At the risk of ticking off everyone on the "Hard Core" forum I think its a fad.

Hey, I sometimes use my bag as a quilt- zip it open and sleep that way in temperate conditions, works great. I can totally see using one in the summer or mild climate.

But like a couple guys said above...too drafty in cold conditions....they just aren't multi purpose enough for me in the backcountry.

04-Feb-16
I bought a down quilt prior to my BC goat hunt this past September but got nervous before the trip and also got a back packing sleeping bag. I'm glad I did as I would have froze my *** off if I didn't. Threw the quilt over top and was comfy and it was only early September n

04-Feb-16
Okay I have to find out about the quilt that's not really a quilt. Where do I look???

04-Feb-16
I only use a quilt in higher temps. Late spring, or summer. I find them too difficult to replicate a sleeping bags warmth in colder weather.

04-Feb-16
Teeton - If you're an active sleeper, using the pad straps and a wider quilt might help.

And I'm not ticked off Beendare. I'm happy with the way a quilt is working out for me in the temperatures common during my hunting seasons. I'm not really concerned with its popularity.

When the time came to replace my bags that were looking like something a homeless guy on an off ramp would be carrying, I went in two directions for different conditions; ultralight down quilt and bulky bomb-proof synthetic.

If I owned a quality lightweight down bag in good condition, I wouldn't be buying a quilt to save some ounces. I'm trying to squeeze nickels. I tend to be the guy where gear goes to die.

04-Feb-16

Teeton's Link
Here LKH You Tube link..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjsAxRNnnsE

Ed

04-Feb-16
To much of a pain in the ass for me. I end falling out of them and waking up with frozen body parts. I move around way to much. Went back to a bag.

04-Feb-16
To much of a pain in the ass for me. I end falling out of them and waking up with frozen body parts. I move around way to much. Went back to a bag.

04-Feb-16
Orionsbrother,, I can go the bed in a queen bed. In the morning I can have the pillow cases off the pillows. Almost have the sheets in a big ball. lol

I'll look into the straps you mentioned.

Ed

04-Feb-16
I hate sleeping bags...tie myself up in em...lol.

We tent camped in the Bighorns at temps to sub-zero. I still have a heavy foam pad from the 70's...I'd slip that into a sleeping bag and wrapped up in a great down comforter. Cozy and warm no matter the temps.

I'd also throw "tomorrow's" undergarments in the foot of my bedroll. Nothing better than jumping into nice warm duds in the freeze-yer-@$$-off pre dawn cold.

04-Feb-16
Im a bit of a cold sleeper, but a quilt might work if it included my hippie chick WY wilderness guide as a supplemental heat source.

04-Feb-16
Slept in the back of my pickup canopy one time south of Prince George. Down bag inside big square bag, all my clothes on, Jacket over my head. Took an hour to warm up enough to sleep. -38 degrees F.

Quilt would have been nice to throw over everything else.

04-Feb-16
Those hippie chicks do have high r values, Lou.

04-Feb-16
You got me LKH. Coldest I ever slept outside was -37* and I cheated. I had a dog.

They're even warmer than hippie chicks and better conversationalists, but lacking in other areas.

04-Feb-16
thanks for the input guys. As a former Army guy, I spent many a night in the woods of Fort Benning with nothing more than a quilted poncho liner. As an experienced backcountry hunter here in CO, I have spent many a night in a high-end mummy style sleeping bag also. What I see is a potential with the quilt, is the space savings it gives you, freeing up need room, especially for a 5-7 day hunt. Im a pretty warm sleeper anyways, and I have a bit of claustrophobia to boot, so I have several reasons to look for alternatives! I actually find that many nights I will unzip my bag and just use it as cover anyways, so I may just take the plunge this year. I've got all summer to test it out as I love to hike up to high alpine lakes and catch cuts in the summertime!

04-Feb-16
How tall are you? Are you an active sleeper tossing and turning? What's the coldest temperature that you've experienced on hunts where you'd be using a quilt?

04-Feb-16
I'm 6'1". This would really only be for backcountry hunting bow seasons, and summer time fishing trips. I've bowhunted CO for 9 years now, and I've never seen anything colder than about 20 or so during bow season.

04-Feb-16
I'd suggest looking at a 10* or a 20* quilt in a long. I would think that being in CO, if you asked around, you could find someone with a quilt that you could check out before purchasing anything.

When I decided to try a quilt, I bought one off the classifieds that was a good deal. I really liked it, but even at 6' a long was the right fit for me.

05-Feb-16
If I want a quilt I'll unzip my bag. That's also some advice to folks about to buy a bag... some of them are half zip to save weight I would guess. But cuts the versatility down a great deal.

I'm with Bruce, I think they are a summer through hiker hippy chick ultra lite fad. Not to be relied on for mid to late fall on the mountain. I'd question their "comfort" rating just on the basis of the "mummy" factor. Tight fitting mummy bags have highest ratings. They do so because there is less "dead air" to deal with in a small bag than with a bigger cut. The looser fitting the bag, the lower the comfort rating. Fact. They don't come any looser than a quilt.

My thermostat is set pretty high I admit. Might trust a quilt to summer trips, but mid to late sept in the teens.... I have a LOVE affair with that WM Badger. Recently added a Neo-air X-therm pad. Two shake down cruises with it.... I sleep great and never give a thought as to what the mountain will throw at me... don't care how many oz more I have to pack. It's a part of my backcountry foundation, don't leave home without it.

If it gets too cold I'll take the through hiker hippy chick's quilt away for myself....you know you're getting old and the mountain about has you beat when you might value a warm night over a hot night....

05-Feb-16
I've converted to Enlightened Equipment quilts instead of Sleeping bags for most of the year. When I'll be in damp or cold conditions (20s and lower) I'll switch back to a bag. But for most of bow season, and ALL of spring/summer camping my quilt is lighter, easier to temperature regulate with, and roomier.

Who would turn down a combo of lighter, cheaper, and roomier when it comes to your sleeping arrangements for camping?

05-Feb-16
I a Enlightened Equipment quilt. The cheaper down costs a lot less. I'll never go back to a mummy bag.

I toss several times in a night and haven't had any trouble. Also using it mostly in September so no harsh cold yet.

It's versatile enough that I've used it over my clothes to stay warm during early morning glassing. This is mostly because I don't carry heavy weight clothes for September hunts. Overall, a weight and space saver.

All bags from Enlightened Equipment are custom orders so you can get camo if you want.

06-Feb-16
Not sold on them. Plus too many good light bags to buy another system. I can always unzip if needed or the opposite too. I can tell you one time while scouting on the 4th of July scouting in unit 76 in Colorado it got cold enough to freeze diet coke inside the cooler ( slushy) and I was not warm inside a Forest Service Yurt at 11500 ft in my old extreme cold weather bag from the army. I will keep using my Marmot bags.

06-Feb-16
I'm pretty sure these were designed for the backpacking crowd. Their season is mostly June - August while ours is mostly August - January and more so September-October for back country so we have a much different angle to consider.

They are all crazy sticklers about wt. Many many back packers are not willing to carry more than 25 lbs because daily distance is a big part of it for people doing things like the PCT. When your goal is 20-25 miles a day up and down mountains for many weeks to months at a time, cutting a couple ounces is a big deal.

There's no way I'd ever use a quilt, but I don't have a pelt like Orionsbro. 10 degree synthetic in September for me. I use a liner if it's getting below 25 at night. It's big and heavy, but the higher weight is worth it to me to sleep good while hunting.

07-Feb-16
When it's cool, using the straps with a quilt helps keep the sides tucked so you don't get drafts. I actually found that the temp rating on the quilts that I use seems to have a much better connection to reality than most sleeping bags.

Sleeping well under a quilt, even in cooler conditions, is easy, normal.

My concerns with using a quilt are:

1. Extreme wet conditions or a mishap where gear gets soaked. One turn with hypothermia is enough for me. But that's more of a concern about the down than the quilt...I bought a quilt with water resistant / treated down.

2. Durability. Snagging, abraiding, tearing, melting the shell and pouring feathers out everywhere. Again, same sort of concern with a down bag...I leave it in the tent.

3. Maintenance. I don't know that I'm fully convinced on the treated down, but it seems to me that emulsifying soaps that will remove skin oils would probably strip the hydrophobic agents from the treated down...I use a silk liner to try to keep the quilt cleaner longer.

So, even if your hide is tanned hairless like Ike, you might be surprised that something that packs down to a little bigger than a Nalgene bottle is very comfortable. I was.

But I'm just offering my opinion and experiences. It's no hair off my furry azz if you choose a different sleep system than me.

• Sitka Gear