Zbone 11-Feb-16
Cheque 11-Feb-16
Buck Watcher 11-Feb-16
Buck Watcher 11-Feb-16
Ziek 11-Feb-16
shortstop 11-Feb-16
bowfinatic 11-Feb-16
04-Feb-16
I have noticed that whitetails generally will have their left antler larger than their right antler. This is not universal but certainly more than random. I have lots of statistical data to back this up. Well, maybe I have none of that. But I have observed this.

I have heard that this is because they bed on their left side more often. But I don't believe that.

04-Feb-16
I'm looking at my deer on the wall right now and the right antler is bigger.

04-Feb-16
Like women's ummmm... "Racks". Sometimes the left side, sometimes the right. My extensive study of women and deer confirm this.

04-Feb-16
Lou, maybe you have one hand smaller?

04-Feb-16
Like sheep brooming the dominant eye side the most?

I guess a buck could stunt the dominant eye side by sleeping on same side or turning head to eat or walk thru brush

Don't buy the concept but it beats a thread about broadheads.

05-Feb-16
Jaquomo,

Can you post a link to this study, complete with illustrations & photos?

05-Feb-16
My city house is in a college town. A trip to the Wal Mart around the end of August when students return is all the evidence I need now that I'm married and my "hands-on" research has been halted...

05-Feb-16
Well thats fine for you......but what about the rest of us!!

05-Feb-16
My left antler is a bit bigger... never thought about what side I sleep on though....

It's a shame because my contract says that's the one I have to give up when that 380 bull hits the ground....

05-Feb-16
Symmetry is NOT common. I looked around my living room. The antlers are random enough so I can not draw a conclusion. My right hand is a bit larger than my left. I am right handed.

05-Feb-16
I don't doubt you at all - it's probably a genetic trait common to the area you hunt... Genetics are a very powerful thing.

05-Feb-16
Roger rothharrar says it is how the deer sleeps while in velvet and the blood flow going to the antler that is tilted lower.

05-Feb-16
Jaquomo, how did enhancement effect your research? Or did you focus on natural specimens?

05-Feb-16
Could be because some women favor sleeping on one side vs the other?

Enhancement tends to even-out these anomalies. I wonder if a perceptive deer with a lopsided rack might decide to shift sides and level the playing field, so to speak?

05-Feb-16
Thread is now tied with a broadhead thread......:)

07-Feb-16
Like hawkeyegolfpro150+, remember reading in one of Rothhaar's books about the way they lay during velvet and wind direction, but kinda thought that was reaching although it could make sense in flatland areas he hunted with stable prevailing winds...

08-Feb-16
When I saw this thread I figured I'd look in the P&Y record book and just opened to one page near the top of the ranking and one page down in the ranking.

These two pages had 192 entries:

94 had the right antler longer

88 had the left antler longer

10 were even

In almost EVERY case the side by side differences were under 6/8's of one inch. My conclusion: No correlation favoring one side or the other!

08-Feb-16
"Symmetry is NOT common."

Really? First define symmetry. EXACTLY the same, or just very close. As I look around my living room 4 out of 5 whitetails are very even. Only one is a 4 X 5 (with an extra, small kicker on the 5 (left) side, actually making it 6). It scores 128 0/8 with 9 5/8 asymmetry. The largest, a very even 10 point, scores 148 5/8 with only 5 asymmetric deductions. I have an even mule deer that scores 169 5/8 with 6 7/8 in deductions. Except for a missing left brow, it's hard to see any asymmetry there. The 3 six point bull elk ranging from 291 4/8 to 328 6/8 have 6 1/8, 4 3/8, and 5 6/8 of deductions.

I think, just like most bilateral characteristics in mammals, symmetry is normal and desirable, except for very minor differences. Non-typicals are just that - non-typical. While interesting, and often sought after, they are not normal.

08-Feb-16
LOL @ BearTrack!!

08-Feb-16

Bear Track's embedded Photo
Bear Track's embedded Photo
Now I'm thinking my 2010 buck did a lot of sleeping on his left side.

09-Feb-16
Ha! That's funny Ron. Lazy Canadian deer.

10-Feb-16
Studies done in enclosures show that the rack on whatever side the deer lays on has a tendency to have more of a curl to it. When the deer is in velvet and pressure is applied due to laying on or resting it against their backs makes it bend more. I read that recently in Deer and Deer Hunting. Shawn

11-Feb-16
Shawn - So it's determined if they're right or left handed (hooved...8^)))

11-Feb-16
And the dominant side of their body (right or left hooved) will be more developed than the other side so if you see a buck with a weak left side you can assume that he is right hooved and it will be safe to take a quartering-to shot at his left shoulder but not his right one. Wow science is a wonderful tool indeed!

11-Feb-16

Buck Watcher's embedded Photo
Hogwash. Ever see a deer sleep? They do not sleep on their side. Nose is down, neither antler touches the ground. Quick Google search: sleeping deer

11-Feb-16

Another.

11-Feb-16
Not one of any of the animals I have hanging show ANY difference in curvature, curl, or angle of their antlers on one side or the other.

11-Feb-16
Wow, you guys should know why the antlers are different.................cause they grow different. Kinda like why a flock of geese have one string longer than the other.....cause there's more geese in it! Sorry, couldn't resist. Must be down time for hunting or something!

11-Feb-16

bowfinatic's embedded Photo
bowfinatic's embedded Photo
Must be true in the extensive study i did in this area 100% of deer showed this characteristic =)

• Sitka Gear