bobinbend 11-Feb-16
jingalls 11-Feb-16
Ziek 11-Feb-16
bowhunter 14-Feb-16
tradmt 15-Feb-16
GF 15-Feb-16
IdyllwildArcher 16-Feb-16
05-Feb-16
What's everyone's experience with elk shot in the shoulder blade and what was your equipment?

Was the elk recovered?

What was the bow, the arrow wt, and the BH?

Maybe include moose experiences as well.

05-Feb-16
Well you know my vote! I've never hit an elk in the shoulder but have seen it done a couple of times. Even lost a bull hit in the shoulder with a rifle!

05-Feb-16
First shot was square in the shoulder. Few setups of any configuration are going to push that through from longer range.

Second shot was poorly placed. I arrowed a Montana cow last September in nearly the exact same location. I had to finish her off the next morning.

Neither shot was good, only the second shot was mortal (obviously). There's always a little luck involved in hunting.

I think the only really poor decision the hunter made was to tuck his ears inside his ball cap.

05-Feb-16
I watched my buddy shoot a cow in the back thinner part of the shoulder blade one year. She went about 100 yards and crashed.

He was shooting a Mathews Switchback or OUtback, with 125 grain G5 Montecs, and his bow was set to 60 lbs or so. Shot was about 19 yards

My only experience with blade hit elk

05-Feb-16
I shot a bull couple years ago to finish him off in a thicket at about 5 yards. His leg was tucked back and my arrow was a 490 (total) grain Carbon Express Piledriver with a slick trick vipertrick. Bow was 26.5" at #70.

Arrow went in 1"............

The next shot I simply aimed back 6" and finished the bull. Put their toughness in perspective to me.

05-Feb-16
Killed one though the mid-part of the blade on a downhill shot with a 2219 aluminum, 68# recurve, and a 4-blade Muzzy 125. He ran about 100 yards and died.

Over the years I've hit a couple others where the broadhead stuck, the arrow broke off, and the bull went on. Once I saw him two weeks later, with a slight limp.

I hit a big muley in the shoulder blade once, and he ran off with the arrow bobbing. Saw him again two weeks later in full rut, running a herd of does with a slight limp. A rifle hunter shot him the next season and recovered the broadhead, which had come unscrewed from the ferrule. It was healed up in a wad of scar tissue.

05-Feb-16
Sent ya a pm, Ike. I'll post something on this exact topic in my 2015 elk recap that was hard to believe even after seeing it. Hoyt Nitrum 34, 490 gr arrow, Shuttle T 125. Edit, Conclusion: Nothing can stop this settup

05-Feb-16
I hit a small bull square in the shoulder 2 years ago. Less than 20 yards.

Equipment Hoyt Spyder 35 about 65 pounds Arrow weight around 425 BH was a slick trick 100 grain magnum

Called it in to about 10 yds but just as I was about to release it spooked and turned around and ran 10 yards. I shot and thought the hit was good. After discussing with my buddy who was sitting 25 yards away and watched it all he said not much penetration. Waited an hour and went to look for blood. Even though we could follow his track never found the arrow and no blood for 150 yards where we finally found a few drops here and there. Never found him.

Not sure it would have helped but this year I went to a 125 grain BH, added a weighted insert, and switched BH to something that I though would penetrate better....Magnus Black Hornet. Added weight didn't do anything to my accuracy and gave me more confidence. Good thing I didn't get to see if it worked better on a shoulder this year but it did kill a bull at 35 yards.

05-Feb-16
If I remember right I have hit 5 bulls in the front leg bone area. 2 broadheads didn't have any blood on them and the other 3 only a trace. I don't know why I seemed to lock on a spot too far forward but finally made mayself shoot back and I've done much better since.

Bow's were recurve or longbow at about 63 pounds.

Twice the bull ran out to about 50 yards and bugled at me.

05-Feb-16
No experience with shoulder shot elk, but any big game animal such as a large Midwest WT or larger is going to give you issues if you hit the shoulder. I'm talking shoulder, not straight up the leg, non bone, but right on that big paddle.

You'll hear of the occasional "one off" but I'm taking the house bet against you.

05-Feb-16
32 yds slight quartering to. Hit left Scapula arrow stopped 2/3 inches in the right tenderloin. Strother's rush xt 68 lbs arrow 410gr 100gr rocket steel head. 80yds recover

54 yds broadside hit right behind right shoulder. Arrow went thru ribs and hit off side humerus, shattering it into many many pieces and stopping arrow. Arrow total weight was same as above 410gr, head was again 100 gr rocket steelhead. Bow was a Mathews Switchback 68lb. Recovery was about 150 yds, like a 40 degrees slope. I think he did it in like 4 seconds.

These are the only ones I hint shoulder on.

ED

05-Feb-16
One rag bull. Bedded, 32 yards. Went through both scapula in the thin paddle area, stuck in the tree he was leaning against. Went maybe 20 yards, he was stumbling just trying to get to his feet out of his bed. Stinger 125, 70lb Old Glory with a 460 grain arrow.

Joints and major bone on elk.... not good, have been lucky so far. Have a theory on scapula though. Heavy near the joint and on the tee is serious bone. Out into the paddle and I think much depends on if they have their weight on that leg or not. Those shoulders aren't anchored real solid and can give a great deal when hit, really sucks the energy out of the arrow. If they have weight on it things are much more solid and you have a better chance at good penetration.

Mostly observation on deer, I would imagine much the same on elk.... but worse....

05-Feb-16
Hit a bull broadside at 17 yards, only got a 2inches of penetration. 65# Mathews Switchback, 480 grain arrow. No recovery, but don't think he was hurt much.

05-Feb-16
Saddest story of my hunting career so far:

Hit a monster (360+ class) - high and forward in the shoulder, quartering away - 45 yds - (2013). 20 mph crosswind that I didn't take into account. Also hugged the shoulder too tight, especially for a hard quartering away angle. It probably didn't help that he caught me off guard, and he was by far the biggest animal I have ever shot at. Arrow penetrated about 3", and I watched in horror as he ran up the hill with most of my 30" arroaw hanging out. Followed blood for 800 yds before running out. No doubt that bull lived to tell the tale.

Hoyt Vector - 82 lbs - 510 grain arrow (including B head)- 100 grain QAD exodus.

I'm quite positive with the spot I hit him, unless I was using a rifle no amount of force from an arrow would have killed him. I think given the angle I would have missed the goods no matter what. Still, it gave me pause to realize how tough heavily boned areas on an elk can be.

Now shooting a Hoyt Nitrum @ 30.5" draw, 82 lbs, 545 grain arrow (including broadhead), I've now switched to a 125 grain Viper Trick. Had good success so far....

05-Feb-16
I hit a real nice bull in the shoulder in Utah on a L.E. unit. high in shoulder right where gusset provides the most strength..... bowtech invasion 65lb 28 inch easton axis, muzzy 3 blade Maybe 2" penetration at best. Weak blood trail for maybe 75yards No recovery. The Bull was shot by rifle hunter three days later. still carrying a couple inches of shaft and broadhead. Will haunt me to the grave!!!

05-Feb-16
I hit a real nice bull in the shoulder in Utah on a L.E. unit. high in shoulder right where gusset provides the most strength..... bowtech invasion 65lb 28 inch easton axis, muzzy 3 blade Maybe 2" penetration at best. Weak blood trail for maybe 75yards No recovery. The Bull was shot by rifle hunter three days later. still carrying a couple inches of shaft and broadhead. Will haunt me to the grave!!!

05-Feb-16
Read Dr Ed Ashby's report on his single bevel broadhead studies.

I'm a believer.

05-Feb-16
Toby, what BH were you using?

05-Feb-16

Beendare's embedded Photo
Well the shoulder is a tricky spot as you can have scapula as in this shot [bone 5/8" thick] and a much heavier ridge of bone or the main leg bone which is substantial.

I've seen 2 other bulls shot in the shoulder besides this one...the other 2 were 70# bow, 380gr and 400gr arrows, both were mech heads- lost both of those so of course no way to tell what happened.

I shot this dink on the last day of a Co 76 hunt. My buddy calling, this satellite came in fast. He was downhill at about 12 yds and the arrow went through him so fast and off into the woods below us so far we never found it. The bull just stood there looking around confused...then at about the 7 or 8 second mark he lunged forward and just fell over.

70# bow, 450gr arrow tapered coc head, love those tapered coc heads

05-Feb-16

I like to show guys that think a 'big hole' is more important than good penetration with a strong head this picture as no mech head or thin replaceable blade head can do this.

So my buddy had this bull frontal at 6 steps...and instead of shooting that frontal...he waited for the bull to turn. Bad idea as they always turn faster than you think...[as he knows now!] so as this bull is whipping around he fires and catches the bull in the spine.... drops the bull right there...except for some squirming of course.

Worth noting, this bull was getting out of dodge moving very fast when the arrow struck and it didn't seem to inhibit penetration like with a mech head....65# bow, 430ish arrow with 125gr Fixed 2 blade [Phathead] that severed his spine.

So YES, I do think BH design matters...and a head that doesn't have to scissor [thin blades] open but enters effortlessly has proven to me many times its advantages.

05-Feb-16
Beendare, I have the same pix scenario. Frontal, hit in neck. But it's with a expendable.. I'll try to find it and post it. May need a day or two heading to the NRA show in Harrisburg Pa tomorrow.

05-Feb-16
Beendare...I shoot 2117's tipped with 165 grain Grizzly single bevels for total 560 arrow weight out of a 52lb recurve.

The penetration is amazing, and the "S" cut and bone shattering capabilities of the single bevel dynamics have to be seen to be believed.

Seriously, check out Ed Ashby's reports...amazing stuff. That "little" 1-1/8" wide 2 blade does some serious damage. Oh yeah, flies like a dream too.

05-Feb-16
Beendare, why would you call a bull a dink? They aren't small.

Teeton, you shoot "expendables"? Is that like diapers?

Back in the mid 90's I shot a bull in the shoulder with a 65# longbow, Easton PC carbons and a Magnus 1 two blade. Watched him run across a meadow and cross a crick for about a hundred yards, into thick timber and swamp land. Found him, but it was three years later. He fell into a sinkhole of sorts and wasn't too far from where I'd last seen him last, maybe 300 yards. Had to be within a couple feet and looking down into the hole to see him. The scapula had a clean two blade hole through it next to the ridge on the bone. The shot was probably a little over twenty yards, no blood was ever found.

05-Feb-16
Bull elk. About 22-25 yard. 520 grain arrow. 71 pound Browning compound. Hit about midway up dead center of the shoulder. Arrow busted at the ferrule, just behind the broadhead. Two spots of blood. Did not recover him.

05-Feb-16
20 yards - dead center on the big shoulder bone - 70# bow with 125 grain muzzy - 3 inches of penetration (in other words, all the arrow did was basically go through the hide) - couple drops of blood - did not recover.

05-Feb-16
I've hit two in the bottom edge of the scapula (paddle) and had 2" of penetration. Both elk were spotted months later perfectly fine. this was with 64 and 60 lbs bows at 60 ft lbs of KE.

That lower edge of the paddle is over 3/4" thick on an elk. It doesn't matter what poundage you shoot it's not going through.

2 - 3" inches higher and the bone is only 1/8" thick and with higher poundage setups, it's possible to get an arrow through it and the ribs to the lung.

I filmed an elk hunt this year and my buddies kid hit a nice 6x6 bull in the knuckle of the humerous. While both the end of the scapula and the head of the humerous were totally shattered, not one spec of bone or bullet entered the chest cavity. This was with a 7mm Mag and Hornady Super Performance bullets.

Elk bones up in the V are tough as nails and there ain't no arrow going through there no matter the poundage or arrow weight IMHO.

Cheers, Pete

05-Feb-16
After switching BHs to a more cut on contact two bladeish design(slick trick razor trick two blade with 2 small bleeders) I have a whole new outlook on certain shots. I would never choose to shoot a bull in the shoulder, but I shot one of my bulls this year at 58 yards. Straight in the scap. Blew a 1.5 inch hole thru the scap and was a full pass thru with the arrow laying 5 yards behind the bull. I watched him go down right in front of me after taking 10 steps. I've shot 4 bulls the last two years with these BHs, 64, 45, 55 and 58 yards with 3 being pass thrus and the other lodging in the offside shoulder. All have died in sight.

70# 28" Gold tip 340s 125gr BH total weight around 335gr absolutly lethal

06-Feb-16

elkocd's embedded Photo
elkocd's embedded Photo
Arrow after the scap pass thru this year.

06-Feb-16
I meant 435 gr total weight not 335 :)

06-Feb-16
Hit on in the shoulder at 35 yards with 30" draw, 70# full metal jacket with g5 head. penetrated about 2 inches and bounce and elk jumped and shook it out then jogged away

06-Feb-16
C3 hit in on the head. Scapula has different locations of different thickness and strength. Just like any Broadhead will penetrate a 1/8" thick piece of paneling. But, hit the thick part and no dice.

06-Feb-16
357gr arrow 285fps, three bladed Broadhead with trocar tip, slightly quartering away,arrow fell out offside paunch as she was running off, she fell over in 50yds max, fastest an animals ever gone down for me. Think it deflected the arrow path because she was just barely quartering away. Pretty sure I hit both lungs, liver and diaphragm.

06-Feb-16
Moose shoulder hit = no good!! It doesn't matter if it's an expandable or COC broad head. There are many other factors to penetration than just broad head choice. And I'm not defending expandable, I've been shooting the same model COC for 10+ years!!

DJ

06-Feb-16
MarcU, It was a dink...for U76 in Co...we had passed a few bigger bulls earlier in the week.

The rest of the story; I shot that bull after calling in a bull for my buddy on the same setup. There was probably 6 bulls bugling with the herd bull bedded not 70 yds from us in dark timber but he just wouldn't come in. My buddy shot a satellite [70# bow, 400gr arrow, rocket steelhead] then we switched places and he called for me and I shot that bull.

My bull died right there. We lost his which was a much bigger bull; zero blood so once we lost the track 1/2 mile away there was nothing we could do. He said 1/2 the arrow was sticking out on the shot.

He also lost another good bull on a 20yd shot on that hunt. We were following that bulls trail and spotted him limping away 1/2 mi across a meadow. We sprinted across [at 11,000'- arrgg] and then lost him in the timber though searched the rest of the day.

These kinds of experiences [and I've seen a few more] are why I say HOGWASH...to the guys shooting light setups with mech heads on elk.

06-Feb-16
First of all, if you hit the shoulder BLADE on a dead broadside standing elk, you're way too high and/or too far forward. (Except from an elevated position), you'd be lucky to be in the chest cavity at all. Quartering away, a hit in the blade will miss the lungs all together.

I just did a necropsy on a mule deer that I hit too high and forward. It was from a tree stand, but the deer was up hill and just about level with me. He was standing broadside with both front legs about even. The BH cut the lower part (very lowest part of the scapula) near the joint and cut the "hook" part off (where it cradles the humerus) on entry. It hit the same place on the opposite shoulder blade on exit, but just left a nick. The wound channel was BARELY in the lung cavity. About 1" from the top and 1" from the front. Right up in the very top, front corner. Most of the shoulder blade is ABOVE that point. Obviously I recovered the deer. But not 'til after shooting it again in it's fourth bed after about a half hour. And no, I didn't push him. He would bed, then get up and walk a ways, then bed again. I watched him quietly from the tree stand for the first 3 beds.

If you hit any more than just the very bottom edge of the scapula, you go above the lungs (into the spine or "the void" ;-) ), unless the arrow deflects, or it's a downward, quartering to shot. An elk can go a long way with a high lung shot.

I have to mention Beendare's second photo. Not that I have anything against 2 blade BHs, but that was as much luck as BH choice. If that had hit that spot rotated 90 degrees, the results would most likely have been much different.

06-Feb-16

elkocd's embedded Photo
elkocd's embedded Photo
Ziek

Here's a pic of the shot from this years bull. Exit was right behind the off side shoulder. He was straight broadside on the shot.

Yes, this was too far forward, but it was a double lung pass thru and he died within seconds in a few steps. Actually the fastest I've had a bull go down. You should absolutely stay away from the shoulder, but a well tuned bow matched with a good arrow and BH can go thru a lot.

06-Feb-16
I shot an Alaskan moose in the shoulder blade (thinner part if that's possible) trying to finish him off. He was about 10 yards broadside but in very tall grass. I couldn't see his vitals. The arrow penetrated about 12'' and actually got into 1 lung.

Bow was a Mathews Switchback XT set at 70lbs. Arrow was a Wasp Boss 100grain on a Carbon Express Maxima Red 350 Total arrow weight was around 420grains

06-Feb-16

Ziek's embedded Photo
Ziek's embedded Photo
elkocd

It's really hard to tell from photos like yours what the arrow actually penetrated. I'm not saying it didn't hit the shoulder blade, just that you can't tell what it did hit from the photo. And if it did exit BEHIND the offside shoulder, it wasn't broadside WHEN the arrow got there, or it deflected off something when it hit.

With all the anecdotal evidence in this thread, (including mine, but I KNOW that one is correct), I see no photos of penetrated shoulder blades. Maybe for good reason? What may look like a shoulder blade hit from the furry side, often isn't. For instance, this hit looks like it should have hit some shoulder structure (humerus). But that bull went only about 10 yards, and was down in about 5 seconds. Fastest elk kill I've ever seen. The arrow exited the off side.

06-Feb-16
Hey Ziek, I agree with you on both counts;

Maybe I didn't explain it well but we were on a steep side hill and that bull came in about 8' below me--- the arrow exited dead center on the other side.

And yes, my buddy was incredibly lucky....it could have been a lot worse. BTW, that was a 2 blade with bleeders and its the thin bleeders that kept that BH from a complete pass through as the whole vertebrae was cracked.

06-Feb-16
Bighurt. My bad. You did post one. But like I said, unless it's quartering to, and/or at a downward angle, if it does go through, there is only a very small portion of vitals behind it. I also agree that with the right setup, the scapula is no big issue to penetrate.

06-Feb-16
I have hit the scapula solid 2 times. Broadside shots 17 yards and 26 yards! Both using a Mathews switchback and 125 muzzy 3 blades. Neither bull went past 30 yards from impact! On first bull arrow broke through both shoulders and was hanging with about 6 inches exposed on far side!

Both heads got new blades and put back in quiver.

06-Feb-16
I clipped some pine needles and got into the front of a bulls shoulder blade with poor results. The shot was 33 yds with a 70 lb. parker hunter mag, shooting a 145gr snuffer on 2315 shaft about a 530 gr arrow. Got poor penetration the hit was more toward the knuckle where the bone is heavier. Didn't recover the elk but when I went to look for him the next morning ran into a herd which had a bull with a fresh wound in his shoulder. I watched them from across the coulee for several minutes and am convinced it was the bull I had shot the evening before.

06-Feb-16

Hit him midline in the chest just as he twisted broadside...my only explanation is the shoulder blade dropped as he twisted. I did not recover him. I am guessing I got around 12 inches of penetration (about half the arrow). I'm pretty sure you can hear the shoulder blade "crack".

I was shooting a 65# Elite Pure, with Easton Aluminum 400 arrow, with a 125 Anarchy 2-blade head (single bevel).

Best of Luck, Jeff

07-Feb-16
I've killed two elk with a bow and shot both through the scapula.

The first was a 6x6 I killed in NM in 2008. I was shooting a 70 pound bow with 430-ish grain arrows and trophy taker shuttle-T broadheads. I arrowed the bull at 35 yards and he fell to the ground where he stood. I immediately put a second arrow through the heart.

The second bull was a 6x7 Tule I shot in CA in 2009. 70 pound bow and again with a shuttle-T broadhead. This bull was arrowed high in the shoulder at 11 yards and ran about 30 yards before going down.

I shot both of these bulls higher and slightly forward of where I would have preferred, obviously did the trick though. The penetration on both shots was enough to get the job done but the heavy bone slowed the arrow enough that I did not get a pass through.

07-Feb-16
Scapula is not a static, always in one spot anatomy. It's dynamic, moves up and down when the leg moves back and forth.... or in my case, bedded. I hit a bedded bull exactly where I wanted and got both scaps...

Check out the movement with your birddog at home... just don't let em know you're sizing em up.... if done right he'll think you're petting him...

07-Feb-16
Funny. I'm watching Steve Chappel's Extreme Bulls 7 right now. Two Bulls shot in the shoulder. At least one was a fixed blade. No recovery. At least not until another hunter found one of the Bulls a month later.

07-Feb-16
During my first ever experience elk hunting in AZ in 1990/91, I was with a AZ resident who called in a nice 6x6, which he shot square in the shoulder blade at 25 yards. The arrow made a loud crack on impact and the fixed head arrow penetrated about 2-3 inches and literally bounced off the bull. After experiencing that first hand on my first ever hunt for elk, try to avoid this area at all cost. Interesting enough, just recently had a friend tell my about a muzzy hunt last year where his hunting partner shot a nice bull square in the blade at 100 yards with a muzzy, he followed his friends shot as the bull did not go down (both had tags. Follow up shot in the boiler room behind the shoulder, upon taking down the bull, the first shot only penetrated the shoulder blade a short distance which he concluded the bull would have gotten away without the follow up shot due to very poor penetration of the first shot. Just a couple of my experiences, obviously lots of variables come into play at the end of the day.

07-Feb-16
Never hit a scapula, hope I never do, and if it does happen I hope the arrow bounces off.

07-Feb-16
Ziek

I can assure you there was a 1 1/2" hole right through the shoulder blade. I boned out the meat. Hunted there for many more weeks thru my son taking his bull and got to look at the shoulder bone every time I walked by it. I should have taken a pic. I wouldn't state it had if it hadn't. It literally blew a hole thru the scap.

FYI this bull was raking a tree broadside when I shot him so his exact leg/body positioning could have been moving slightly thus the exit position.

07-Feb-16
I agree with Zieks evaluation! The scapula area is nothing to fool with. Been there done that, didn't like it!

ElkNut1

07-Feb-16
First bull I ever shot. 40 yard shot. I still remember the arrow flight to this day as arrow cleared oakbrush and laid in there. (It was 1998). Not exactly where I was aiming, but that is where it hit. Watched him barrel down the hill with only 2-3" of penetration. Tracked him by tracks for the first 100 yards. Specks of blood for 200 yards and then he was gone.

Yes I felt bad. But not for the bull. I was happy for him. If I am going to not execute, the shoulder blade is better than too far back.

1990 Hoyt Pro Vantage Fast Flight. E Wheels. 66 lbs. 2315 arrows with Cabelas Pro Hunter Broadhead (125G)

07-Feb-16
"Scapula is not a static, always in one spot anatomy. It's dynamic..."

That's true. That's why I qualified my statement with a standing animal.

"I arrowed the bull at 35 yards and he fell to the ground where he stood."

No doubt the BH penetrated the scapula and hit the spine ABOVE the lungs, stunning him. Dropping an elk with that shot is pretty much just luck. Without the quick follow up shot, he would probably would have recovered shortly and been long gone.

"...square in the blade at 100 yards with a muzzy..."

I hope he learns how to bow hunt.

elkocd: I believe you. I never said you can't kill an elk through the shoulder blade. It really depends on his posture, and your shot angle. Just that with a standing, broadside to quartering away shot, if you do hit it, you've screwed up the shot. Most scapula hits that don't seem to penetrate, and the elk is lost, is not always because they didn't get through the scapula. It's because there was nothing but bone (or meat) behind it. It just doesn't cover that much of the lungs, and then only high and forward.

07-Feb-16
Hey Jeff,

The vid you posted; Something didn't sound right on that shot to me....sounded like you nicked a branch or something on the shot.

It looked like your arrow hit way up in the withers of that bull...

07-Feb-16
Bruce, If you freeze the frame exactly at the 47 second mark, you can see the arrow mid chest. To my knowledge, there were no limbs between me and the bull.

I attributed the "crack" to the scapula...however, I just looked at the video again, and you can clearly see his left rear hoof snap a branch after impact, that's what made the crack sound.

Best Wishes, Jeff

07-Feb-16
Pretty sure we knew the results of this poll going in. Couple on offs.

Shoulder shot on anything bigger than a Midwest WT is pretty predictable and elementary.

07-Feb-16
Include deer, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out big bones and arrows don't mix.

The guy who posted this knew that.

08-Feb-16
Me and four buddies went on a first time elk hunt in colorado otc this year. Hunted hard for a week and half before I finally got a shot. 50 yards broadside hit him forward for some reason got maybe 2 to 4 inches of penatration. Some decent blood right at first then nothing after bout 50 yards. Worst day of my hunting life. Think about it darn near every day. Was shooting a hoyt vector 32 68# 28in. draw 412grain arrow with slick trick head.

08-Feb-16
Ziek, the first bull I shot through the shoulder was definitely and obviously spine shot. I did follow up with another shot (actually 2 more arrows) immediately but that bull wasn't going anywhere either way.

I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread already at some point, it's getting pretty long, but there is a huge variation in penetration potential depending on exactly where you hit the bull in the scapula. Parts of the paddle are relatively thin while others will stop any arrow/BH combination.

08-Feb-16
Props to TD on mentioning the issues around hitting a floating object.

You pin the scap against the ribs on a broadside, and it's go no place to go. Hit a heavy portion of that bone at a quartering angle and about half of the impact goes into pushing a LARGE, heavy object sideways. Full weight on that leg, not so much an issue. No weight on the leg..... issues get compounded quickly.

Quartering-to, you can add in whether the shoulder blade is moving towards you (less bad) or away (worse). Quartering away, if you hit the near-side scap, you've already screwed the pooch.

But for that matter, you're better off making a double-lung hit at the bottom of an exhalation than when the lungs are fully inflated. There's an awful lot here that matters enough to make every hit unique, but generally not much we can do about it, other than training ourselves to back away from the shoulder. JMO, 3D targets are marked in a way that does bowhunters a HUGE disservice, but I'll save that rant for another thread....

One other thought...

PLEASE, can we stop talking about The Void as if it actually exists? Forward and high is a meat hit that missed the spine, which dips low into the chest cavity. Period. Even the 3D target manufacturers go that much right..

08-Feb-16
For the record, I'm not trying to propose that scapula shots are a good thing or a sure thing. I just wanted to see people's experiences.

Sure looks to me like some people have killed with a scapula shot and some have not.

It just seems to me that if you have a chance at getting through it, that you're lowering your odds with a mechanical.

08-Feb-16
Exactly, no one plans on a shot like that....but if it happens its nice to know you have the capability to turn it into a killing shot

09-Feb-16
Since this thread has turned a little toward deer I'll pass on my experience.

I shoot a 55# recurve with 420 grain arrow. The arrow is very well tuned and with a solid 200 grain VPA COC broadhead. Total of 620 grains.

I've shot two bull elk and one wild buffalo within the last couple of years with great penetration (not in the shoulder). I got cocky and decided that my setup would have to be good enough to penetrate a whitetail's shoulder.

So I intentionally shot a small whitetail at a distance of about 15 yards right in the center of the shoulder blade. Apparently it must have hit the spine of the scapula because the arrow turned on impact. The arrow was covered full length in blood but landed below the deer. The blood trail was sparse. Never found the deer.

But I learned an important lesson. My cockiness with having killed truly big game caused me to think that my setup would be effective on a little whitetail's shoulder. NEVER SHOOT ANY BIG GAME ANIMAL IN THE SHOULDER!!!

09-Feb-16
"I like to show guys that think a 'big hole' is more important than good penetration with a strong head this picture as no mech head or thin replaceable blade head can do this."

I Have to disagree because I miss judged the distance and put a rocky mountain snyper (3 blade mech head) in the spine a of a bull I shot several years ago. Put him down on the spot.

09-Feb-16
I've shot two whitetails in the shoulder. One 2.5 year old buck from a treestand quartering away. Arrow was around 600 grain 2317 with a three blade Bear broadhead. I was young and dumb and hit high nailing the scapula. Got maybe broadhead penetration and that is it. Never found. Next one was many years later on a quarter to shot on another 2.5-3.5 year old buck that my buddy rattled in out of a ravine. Hit shoulder again with around 600 grain arrow and no penetration. No deer found. I will avoid the shoulder at all costs now on any animal I hunt.

09-Feb-16

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Found it. Here a pix of that neck vertebrae with that mechanical head thru the spinal cord.

Ed

09-Feb-16

BRI's embedded Photo
BRI's embedded Photo
misjudged the distance and hit a bull right there. Hoyt Maxxis 31, Beman ICS400, Slick Trick. Arrow went in 3". A few drops of blood is all. He lived.

09-Feb-16

bobinbend's embedded Photo

09-Feb-16
Ed - there's no point in comparing notes on spine hits, because you could have gotten the same result with a field point. And possibly a steel blunt.

The relevant question is whether a big mechanical can fight clear through some meaningful amount of bone with all of its blades sufficiently sharp and intact to inflict immediately lethal damage inside the rib cage.

I don't know.... and I have no intention of doing any testing on live animals. I will stand by my earlier thought experiment (in which no animals were harmed!) and say that the odds of recovering an animal because that of that last 1/8" or 1/16" of reach by a single blade are unacceptably slim compared to the probability of losing one due to inadequate penetration and/or a structural failure.

09-Feb-16

I screwed up and hit this bull exactly where I didn't want to. Got extremely lucky just moments later when he was very into a hot cow.

Hitting the scapula in or close to the center of the blade is a lot different than being close to the edge.

09-Feb-16
Teeton, That vertebrae looks awfully small for an elk...you sure thats not a deer?

09-Feb-16
Beendare,, That is a deer..

GF,, Only stated that I have a vertebrae with a mech head that went thru. Like the pix that Beendare posted.

Ed

09-Feb-16
I just read thru all the above posts..

MarkU,, you posted "Teeton, you shoot "expendables"? Is that like diapers?"

Can you explain that comment to me??

Thanks Ed

09-Feb-16
I think they're called expandables. I've never owned one, though.

09-Feb-16
I just read what I wrote in my second post. I get it now. :) lol..

Ed

09-Feb-16
Bobinbend -

Just curious as to the set-up there..... And is that a Snuffer? Maybe a Woodsman?

The COC Loyal will be surprised to see a head like that get stopped, but if you don't shatter the bone, then there is meaningful friction on the blades.... And a three-blade is going to have 50% more blade getting squeezed than an otherwise identical two.

That strikes me as just a REALLY tough hit. High and well forward of most of what you'd prefer to hit. One more reason for me to post a rant about 3D scoring rings...

09-Feb-16

JJJ's embedded Photo
JJJ's embedded Photo
This is the exit wound on my 2015 bull. Entrance was in the armpit on the opposite side, so I assumed it went through the thinner part of the blade.

10-Feb-16
"JMO, 3D targets are marked in a way that does bowhunters a HUGE disservice, but I'll save that rant for another thread...."

Agree 100%, which is why I long ago stopped shooting 3D tournaments for score and started using tournaments for realistic hunting practice by aiming where I would in the field. My "score" consisted of the number of kills vs. wounds. To heck with the circles cast in at the Delta or McKenzie factory (especially for quartering or uphill/downhill shots).

10-Feb-16
Back in 1992 or 1993 I was shooting a 92 pound Hoyt Super Slam Supreme with a 650 grain arrow with a 125 grain Satellite Titan and I blew threw the scapula on a 5 point Bull and watched the bull crash in 50 yard dash. It is possible, but I wouldn't recommend it...

10-Feb-16
I have no doubt on both my scapula shots that the arrow when clean through both scapula. I have had it happen twice. Like mentioned they were both further forward than I wanted but both killed fast. Each arrow ended up break at the scapula as the bull ran and brok the arrow on the rib. The one arrow broke the scapula on entry broke a rib in 1/2 knicked a far side rib and was embedded in the far scapula with about 3/4 of the head stick through bone.

The other arrow as mention went through both scapula and had around 6 inches out on the far side at the shot.

It is possible, but not intended at all...

10-Feb-16
How nice it must be to always hit here you are aiming.....no one here is claiming ,"Shoot for the shoulder!!"

i think a thread like this is a help to everyone....a study on ,"What if" and worth contemplating.

A lot of guys I know setup their equipment for the possibility of a poor shot location (remote chance of course- grin) and a successful outcome in that event. ...that is what an arrow on the heavier side and an efficient strong BH does for you...it gives you a better chance in a 'worst case' scenario.

My apologies to those that drank the "Throw an axe through them" advertising Kool Aid.

10-Feb-16
Beendare.

That is exactly what I have been advocating forever. A heavier, slower arrow that has more penetration potential gives a greater chance of a good outcome than a lighter, faster one. Also, there is very little, if any, advantage to a cutting diameter larger than about 1 1/4". There are two dimensions to every wound; cutting width, and length. Length is far more important. On a perfect hit, almost any BH will work. It's when something goes wrong that your equipment choices can make a real difference in the outcome. So if anything works when the shot goes well, why would't you try to increase good outcomes for when the shot doesn't go well?

Other advantage to a heavier slower arrow, is less bow and arrow noise. It also increases your confidence on those shots (steep downward, as when hunting from a tree stand) where you have to crowd the shoulder blade - or pass on the shot opportunity. In other words, most that shoot light and fast, do so to increase shot opportunities. When in reality, a heavy slower setup can actually increase shot opportunities in many situations.

bobinbend. Can you show us the point side of that BH?

10-Feb-16
I agree 100% Beendare and Ziek.

Boy, there have been some real knock down drag outs over on Leatherwall on this subject.

Even though it's probably perceived as more towards trad setups, Ed Ashby's arrow lethality study has a ton of good info in it for all bowhunters. Most would be completely amazed at the results of some low poundage draw weights.

......probably energy levels substantially less than half of what most compounds deliver and yet can achieve greater penetration due to arrow/broadhead design.

10-Feb-16
"Also, there is very little, if any, advantage to a cutting diameter larger than about 1 1/4"."

I'm curious what your thinking or evidence is to back up that claim?

10-Feb-16
Agreed Ziek.

As to the 1 1/4" question....of course it will depend on the design. To the guys thinking wider is better; why not a 6" wide BH? That will be like throwing an axe through them right? grin

Well of course I'm being facetious as in BH design there is a tradeoff where blade angle plows vs sliding in...essentially the resistance causes a shallower wound. I think we see some of that now with guys using a light arrow and big mech head...its not enough inertia to make the BH work effectively.

Lots of tradeoffs in BH design...and when you are trying to collapse the lungs- our goal- a 1" cut will do the same as a 2" cut but with a higher likelihood of more depth or complete pass thru.

10-Feb-16
If I were looking to back off the shoulder and make my living with liver/diaphragm/marginal lung shots, yeah, the bigger cut the better. Lots of folks do that on whitetails, hold well back of the big bones with large cut mechs. And kill a lot of deer as well. Give em some time as they say....

Elk are not deer, they don't live in a 40 acre woodlot. And will carry a liver/diaphragm/marginal lung shot a long long ways. They too die from those hits I know, but recovery becomes the issue.

I'm a disciple of the BB Church of the Golden V. Straight up the leg on dead broadside, maybe a touch back of centerline, but not much. I like the V in that when you hit it, things go down fast, often in sight, usually in hearing. But that also means you flirt with the bigger bones more.

On a two blade kick right now... the whole reason is, at least in my anecdotal experience, they perform noticeably better when bones do get hit. 3 blades tend to "stick" unless they can actually shatter the bone. Two blades seem to split better and not stick as much. I've busted through a fair number of deer bones and killed them, on the joints, etc. not so much.

Elk are certainly another matter, everything not just a little bigger or even twice as big, but on the order of 3 or 4 times as big. "Stay back from the shoulder".... well, "the shoulder" is a pretty big area and covers alot.... I do get the spirit of the advise.

But OTOH.... that Golden spot on elk is bigger too. So I'll still keep shooting there and just try and make sure that's where it goes.

Next thread might be "Who has hit farther back than they would like, was the elk recovered and what was the equipment used..." =D

10-Feb-16
Well my thinking is that if people can consistently kill animals up to and including elephant with heads less than 1 1/4" nobody needs to throw an axe through anything and you would in fact be introducing undesirable possibilities into the scenario by doing so.

10-Feb-16
TD, 2 blade kick here too- as you put it

Good post. As to your new thread idea you can just cut and paste my response, "I have not seen a shot on an animal where I wouldn't take 2 holes over bigger hole on just one side"

10-Feb-16
It's the same thing that Rifle Cranks argue about with bullet designs -Expansion vs. Penetration. You can have more of one if you are willing to give up some of the other. But if you go big enough bore, you DON' NEED NO STEENKING 'SPANSION!!!

Going bigger than 1 1/4" ( let's say 1 1/4" vs. 2") makes sense only if you buy into the proposition that (absolute best case scenario) your marginal hit on a target about the size of a basketball would have been a killer if your shot had been just 3/8" less crappy.

It's the same mindset that was behind those enormous aluminum line-cutter shafts that were fat enough to store your cigars in them. Don't see them so much these days. Might even be a reason for that!

So you just have to ask yourself.... Does it make more sense to buy your insurance against tagging shoulder blade at 35 yards, or against a liver/paunch hit at 70?

10-Feb-16
"Does it make more sense to buy your insurance against tagging shoulder blade at 35 yards, or against a liver/paunch hit at 70?"

Actually, that big bag of wet grass is about as good at stopping BHs as the scapula and it's a LOT bigger.

10-Feb-16
I think you can sum up Broadhead use the same as arrow weight with the age old adage "everything in moderation". It's not rocket science! A good compromise between a large cut and a strong, sharp blade.

10-Feb-16
Just don't forget about accuracy and good flight with your broadheads in this discussion. They are the most important factors in my view, not to take away from all the other factors listed above. If the arrow doesn't go where you aim it you have little chance of a favorable outcome.

10-Feb-16
"I'm a disciple of the BB Church of the Golden V."

Lol, I like that term! I'm also a disciple. I had a string of 6 animals in a row drop in sight taking that shot and that included 2 elk.

Knock on wood, I've never had to deal with a scapula shot, but I'm willing to lose that animal with him living to see another day taking the forward shot in exchange for the fantastic results I've had with it. And it's apparent to me that you might get lucky and blast through the middle of it anyways.

Worst case scenario of BB's shot is the animal lives.

Worst case scenario of a shot farther back is the animal jumps the string, you hit guts, it takes off, you fret and worry for 8 hours, losing a day of hunting, then track an animal that you never find that ended up dying a terrible death somewhere it was never recovered.

11-Feb-16
Never hit an elk there but I hit a bighorn on the last day of the season quartering away but head turned sharp towards me.... The shot looked great! But as we all know looked isn't always great.... 57# longbow 200 grain grizzly total arrow weight about 560 grns.... I think about it all the time and I think with it turned the way it was the scapula was covering exactly where I hit. 22-25 yard shot and maybe 3" of penetration? I have however shot straight through scapula and shoulder bone on whitetail and muleys. Just one of those things I guess? Bugs me still and that was 7 years ago......

11-Feb-16

A little background may help...

This was a mature bull, probably 5 years old. He came in really hot...the kind you dream about all year long. Screaming and tearing the place up.

The scapula on a older bull is much larger, thicker than on a spike or raghorn.

It was a "gimmie" that I simply screwed up, 18 yards or so. What do I say, intimidating bull!

Shooting a 60 lb recurve, 560 grain arrow, WW BH, that I had filed off that skinny point.

On the 3 blade/2 blade thing. Think a bit out of the box here. YES, in the scapula situation the two blade will perform a little better, you may get an additional 2-3" of penetration, perhaps taking out one lung.

BUT that does not equate into a dead elk that you will ever recover. As we know they can go "forever" on one lung and may or may not die. By being a high hit, in that much bone, the blood trail, if any will be minimal. You won't find him.

And if you can't recover the animal, the world is pretty bleak.

On my scapula shot, I am confident the bull would have survived quite nicely. On ribs I have had no trouble getting full penetration and pass throughs.

I realize that I have defiled the god of more penetration is always better.

Fire Away! bob

11-Feb-16
Hit a nice 6x6 high and in the scapula, he went 80 yards and piled up. QAD exodus broadheads, 68 pound bow tech at 27 inches draw.

11-Feb-16
Thanks Bob. I was curious about whether the point bent at all, which would indicate BH failure effecting penetration.

Thanks for the additional info, also I shoot about the same weight arrow with a VPA 150 unvented 3 blade out of a 65# Hoyt CE. Seeing what you experienced gives me even more confidence that if I hit that spot, I would have no problem getting through it.

14-Feb-16
Elk are very tough animals, this year I drew 2nd smoke pole tag in NM unit 15, I hit a 300 class bull in the shoulder twice with a 300 grain PT Gold Scorpion behind 110 grain of BH powder at 200 yards and again at 293, both times around the shoulder area. The bull buckled down but never dropped, only found 3-5 small drops of light blood. Tracked him for and and half days never found him..

15-Feb-16
LOL, and yet I know a guy that killed about 15 from that range with an AR-15 5.56, one right after the other!

15-Feb-16
Bowhunter - you do realize, don't you, that a full-bore lead conical would most likely have anchored him on the first go?

I never will understand why so many people believe that a .50 cal or larger bullet needs to expand AT ALL, let alone to the degree that the heavily hyped bullets do..... But I'm wrong-headed enough to be very happy shooting .54 roundball, so what do I know?

Not that I would shoot an Elk in the shoulder with one.

Or with a bow. Not intentionally, anyway. On the 3D targets, I usually hold right at 9:00 on the 10-ring or just a shade ahead of that when the target is set up just a bit quartering-to. Shooting single-string, I have no delusions about blasting through a blade like that - especially not on a big one. Volume increases as the cube of length, which means (as Bob mentioned) the mass you're thinking to shoot through on a big herd bull is exponentially greater than on his young nephew, the satellite.

I'm not yet completely sold on single-bevels, but they certainly can't hurt.

16-Feb-16
"Elk are very tough animals, this year I drew 2nd smoke pole tag in NM unit 15, I hit a 300 class bull in the shoulder twice with a 300 grain PT Gold Scorpion behind 110 grain of BH powder at 200 yards and again at 293, both times around the shoulder area. The bull buckled down but never dropped, only found 3-5 small drops of light blood. Tracked him for and and half days never found him.."

Moral of the story?

COC BHs have better penetration than mechanicals and muzzle loaders.

:)

• Sitka Gear