jims 06-Feb-16
Beendare 06-Feb-16
Beendare 06-Feb-16
Jaquomo 06-Feb-16
Two Feathers 22-Feb-16
Tdiesel 22-Feb-16
06-Feb-16

Beendare's Link
I'm thinking it might be nice to have one of those long rain jackets like Shockey wears a lot for Alaska trips and such. I'm not real happy with the way those Kuiu jackets are so short on me. Any thoughts on the subject?

I see Barneys has this HH 3/4 length- above link....Shocky's is longer with a slit [probably for horsebacking]

06-Feb-16
I have a HH and it's pretty long. The only bad thing is you sweat like crazy when hiking and distance.

River west will keep you dry but soaks up water like a sponge.

I prefer my Kuiu jacket & rain pants. They always keep me dry.

06-Feb-16
I have that 3/4 length jacket. I love it. If I am wearing a pair of Lacrosse boots and that I can skip the pants sometimes.

I have the regular length too depending on what I'm doing but for some things the longer one is priceless.

06-Feb-16
I have what you are talking about and I think it's called the Guide Coat.

I sweat just as bad in goretex as I do in the guide coat if hiking hard. The big difference is when it's not raining the guide coat can be turned inside-out and dried in minutes.

06-Feb-16
The Swazi Tahr Anorak is very nice if it fits your budget.

06-Feb-16
Where are you planning on using the rain jacket and what kind of use? If you plan on backpack type hunts it is a lot lighter weight and less bulky with rain jackets/pants similar to kuiu or sitka. For those that sweat in rain jackets when hiking...I don't buy rain jackets any more unless they have pitzips. HH rubberized gear is super nice when in a downpour on a boat in Alaska. If I'm doing much hiking I grab my Sitka or Marmot Precip raingear. I also do quite a bit of fishing in Alaska. Chest waders and a trench coat wouldn't work very well for that. I believe Shockey wear's his trench coat a bunch while on horseback..but I may be mistaken? As mentioned earlier it really depends upon your use.

06-Feb-16
Shockeys has a split down the middle low in front and back, like a Drover...so a guy can walk...or maybe ride a horse with it- not sure.

The HH guide looks decent...and I suppose I could modify if necessary.

Grunden doesn't have it.

The Swazi stuff looks tight around your legs.

I've looked at the horse outfitters. They have some big billowy ones.... and the Drover style but most seem to be waxed cotton/ Australian outback type stuff. That Drover in Nylon would be perfect.

I have a GoLite poncho in long....but walking in those sucks.

06-Feb-16

Beendare's Link
Closest I've found.....I guess its called a Duster

06-Feb-16
Don't know if they have a US distributor but Ridgeline from NZ has some great foul weather gear in long lengths and interesting camo patterns. I have some, am 6'4" and love it, but its not made for backpacking (at least not what I have)

22-Feb-16
I like long length jackets for on the ground but not in a tree. In a tree I like a poncho.

22-Feb-16
oil skin duster they aren't exactly light but I have them for when rounding up cattle they are very effective at keeping you dry in rain all day if you have a brimmed hat. you can treat them with mink oil or anything else but they will hold up to rough riding through timber and as said all day in the rain no problems. not gonna breath extremely well if Hiking though.

• Sitka Gear