Julius K 09-Feb-16
MJH 09-Feb-16
Teeton 09-Feb-16
x-man 09-Feb-16
huntingbob 10-Feb-16
BTM 10-Feb-16
sundowner 10-Feb-16
08-Feb-16
So I am fletching 18 arrows for a friend with my Arizona EZ Fletch Mini, and I cannot get the vanes to adhere to his GT Expeditions for the life of me. The vanes you can pull right off, or come off when shot thru the bow. The shafts have been re-fletched a minimum of 3 or 4 times before. Initially thought it might have been the fusions causing the problem b/c they were over a year old, so we tried the max hunter. Zero improvement. I knew the fusions probably weren't the problem, b/c I recently put the same batch on my own shafts, with zero issues. I have tried FRESH fletchtite platinum, goat tuff, and Loctite ultra gel control. No combination worked. Again, same glue used on others shafts with no problems. I strip every bit of residue off the shafts with my zip strip, scuff them up good with a green scotchbrite pad, and wipe them down with 91% isopropyl. I've never had a problem with isopropyl, but did some research and found some don't like isopropyl b/c of the potential for oil to be left behind. Taking that into consideration, I scuffed them back up with the scotchbrite pad and cleaned with hot water and comet. Still no adhesion... I am at a loss here, b/c I have never had such issues before. I have fletched 100s of arrows with no issues what so ever, but these just do not want to cooperate with me. Any ideas? Junk shafts?

08-Feb-16
Use a wrap and you should be golden. Prefer white to see the color of the blood easily to help determine next tracking step..

Mark

08-Feb-16
+2 what Mark says a wrap and fletchtite platinum works very well.

08-Feb-16
What size Fusion vanes are you using? If you are using 3", they may be a tad too long for the EZ Fletch Mini?

I switched from Fusions back to Blazers, for this very reason. FWIW, I didn't have any adhesion issues with 3" Fusions when I used straight fletch, so maybe they don't take well to extreme helical. Good luck!

08-Feb-16
Just scrape off the old glue & that's good enough. I use super glue gel. I also had a problem with the fletchtite not holding.

08-Feb-16
I mentioned a wrap and he isn't interested in that.

Using a 2.1" Fusion

08-Feb-16
Than I'd tell my friend to help himself to the fletcher, the glue and the vanes:)

Mark

08-Feb-16
Some vanes will require cleaning the base. Is the glue sticking to the shaft or the vane after it comes off? If it is still stuck to the shaft, you have a vane problem. If it is stuck to the vane, it is a shaft problem.

I have had older Goat Tuff glue not work at all either! Fresh, it worked great. After a few months it wouldn't stick to anything!

08-Feb-16
Try Saunders NPV arrow mate cement. You cannot hardly pull the vanes off. I shoot blazers and no problems at all.

08-Feb-16
I like acetone for getting the factory film off both the bottom of the vane and the shaft. But I use wraps as well. Much easier to refletch if I trash a fletching. Supposedly storing your glue in the fridge will keep it in good condition if it's a glue issue.

08-Feb-16
Try using acetone or something similar on the foots of the vanes. The one time I had a big issue with adhesion, that was the cure.

08-Feb-16
Let your friend learn how to fletch or let him get a bow shop to do his fletching for a fee.

09-Feb-16
MAtt X2, I have had to do the same thing with different vanes over the years.

09-Feb-16
I might have to try the acetone on the vanes. I looked at the vanes I removed and they look like you could use them again. I would say the glue not sticking to the vane might be the root of the problem.

This friend is my way into a place to stay and hunt on my yearly Ohio bowhunting trip... That probably says it all right there.

09-Feb-16
I use wraps,, then I wipe my wraps with 90%+ alcohol. I then put my vane in the jig, then ruffin (blazer) vane base with 220 sand paper a little. Then wipe with 90%+ alcohol. This may not be the way theirs do it,, but it sure works for me.

09-Feb-16
That batch of vanes did not get the mold release oil removed. Acetone the base while in the clamp so they don't warp. Let dry and retry. :)

This has happened to me several times. If you call Norway and give them the batch number off the box, they'll probably already know about the problem, and send you free replacement vanes.

10-Feb-16
I tried Fusion vanes I won and I had the same problem. They never stuck to the shaft and seemed too stiff for an AZ easy fletch. Went back to the Blazers and no problem. All was the same..glue cleaning stripping etc.. good luck.

10-Feb-16
Before you do anything to the base of vanes, read the directions and/or check with the manufacturer. Some companies say to NOT swab the base with anything (alcohol, acetone, sandpaper, etc.).

10-Feb-16
Clean shafts and vanes with acetone then use Loctite 495 or 416. Vanes will not come off....ever. These are industrial CA glues not generally available to the public but you can order them on line. Not cheap but the best.

• Sitka Gear