jstephens61 02-May-16
Jon Simoneau 05-May-16
md5252 05-May-16
redheadlvr 06-May-16
Treeline 06-May-16
Highcountrystykbow 10-May-16
Matt 10-May-16
19-Apr-16
The best hunter I knew exemplified the traits I admire most. Nobody here has heard of him. He worked hard feeding his family all year but took the time to hunt hard and took nice bucks. He never bragged about his kill but if you were interested he would show you some of the antlers he collected. He used all the meat he could legally get. Few are as skilled and as humble.

19-Apr-16
My dad was an amazing deer hunter. He was one of those that always got his animals. He taught me so much about hunting. Grandpa and dad owned a fishing resort in Canada and even used to stock lakes with brook trout using backpacks. That would have been in the late 1940's. He is the reason I love the outdoors. That would be George Roy!

19-Apr-16
Here's a post I made about mine a few years ago on L/W.....

My mentor died today. Thankfully it was a quick heart attack, and not altogether unexpected, as he had just had a pacemaker put in a few weeks ago.

He was 15 years my senior. He and my father were lifelong good friends, and because I came from a non-hunting family my father in his wisdom introduced me to him when he saw that I had a natural born passion for things of the wild. You could say that he was my second father in a lot of ways. My father instilled in me my core beliefs and character, and my mentor instilled in me my passion for the woods.

He taught me how to hunt, fish, trap, shoot a bow and gun, took me on my first bowhunt, and was with me when I shot my first deer. We trout fished in the spring, and then fished for smallmouths and bluefish in the summers. When I moved to Wyoming he came out there to visit and we had some great hunts.

His livelihood was in the outdoors, and I worked for him for four summers learning all I could about trees, plants, and other facets of outdoor construction. It eventually became my livelihood also.

He was THE best all around woodsman I've ever known. The last time I was able to deer hunt with him was in 2006, and although it was the first time he'd ever been on the ground I'd been hunting for the past 12 years, he showed me things I'd overlooked. His main thought was to observe EVERYTHING in the woods. Everything has a reason for being where it is, and there's a reason why any animal does what it does. A lot of that has rubbed off on me.

I last saw him when I went back to New Jersey to bury my father in 2010. We had a VERY lovely last evening together with our families and that of my best friend and his family. I will never forget that.

I know his physical being is gone from this earth, but as long as I have the capacity to go into the woods, he WILL be there with me.

In the wind, Fred Walter, save me a spot at the campfire. I will be along in a bit....

19-Apr-16
Best hunter is relative to quarry, weapon, and style unless you mean all-around hunter.

Best raccoon hunter was my dad. Best bowhunter a frind of mine named Danny R (he's never been on Bowsite, doesn't do the online thing)

"Best" deer hunter period depends on whether you measure by skills, or kills.

Skills? Danny R, kills, me :) I like venison.

Most famous (and maybe the best)

Probably the best all around hunter/outdoorsman I ever knew is a fella from Newfoundland, named Dave Evans.

19-Apr-16
Roy Roth, hands down by a mile.

19-Apr-16
I know several guys that kill deer every year and are good hunters. I don't know anyone in the places I've lived that get big bucks every year. I guess none really stand out to me.

19-Apr-16
I had talked to Roy several times on the phone and via e-mail but never got to hunt with him.

My inspiration was an old guy named Larry Palluh (not sure if that is how you spell his last name), but he ran a sporting goods store off of Colorado and 112th in Thornton back in the late 80's. He was a super guy and just really got me into archery, fishing, and things (other than my dad).

He was the one who pursuaded me to get into trying for a sheep tag, among other things.

19-Apr-16
My dad will always be the best hunter I ever knew. It's not because he shoots big bucks or takes lots of animals, or even is that good in the woods. A lot of you guys will understand. I just hope someday I'll be the best hunter my kids ever knew.

19-Apr-16
X2 Brotsky that's exactly the what I would of said about my Dad!! Funny cuz I was just thinking about this the other day when I was turkey hunting. My Dad was the most patient man I ever met! Miss him everyday!!

19-Apr-16
Brotsky X3!

I have an 18 month old little partner in crime running around trying to copy my every move and it amazes me how what I used to think was important or a priority now pale in comparison to what my little buddy has taught me. I pray that when he is older he still thinks its "cool" to hang out with his old man.

19-Apr-16
Mathewsman, I second Larry Paluh at Lazy Js! If you hung out in the store, then you knew me since I was there all the time. I do miss Larry, Zach and Jake! Thanks for the memories.

19-Apr-16
My dad. He gets it done regardless of weapon. Regardless of weather. Regardless of population. Regardless. He has always got it done. On every animal he hunts. Just about every imaginable situation he has faced. He just gets it done. Even at 65. God Bless men

19-Apr-16
I gotta put Big Dan in the top group too.

19-Apr-16
I have never had a "mentor", but a buddy of mine named Rob Partovi, who is not on bowsite or social media any longer, is a pretty damn good hunter. He's a great tracker and tactician of the woods of Oklahoma and can pound the mountains as well. Doesn't matter the animal either, he's good at adaptation. I like folks like that.

A guy I've yet to meet, but have had numerous conversations with and that is well rounded on North American game animals, Is Eddie Claypool. From all I've heard, read or seen, he's top notch and someone I look up to. We live a few miles from one another and are going to meet up soon and "chew the fat". I look forward to that and will be all ears.

19-Apr-16
My dad, hands down! He doesn't hunt for glory or recognition, and the last thing he worries about is how many "inches" a buck will score. I'm not saying he doesn't dream about big bucks like we all do, but he views a big rack as a bonus, not a necessity.

Growing up, the majority of our meals included rabbit, squirrel, pheasant, trout, and venison. He taught me to value the life of every single creature, and that they had a place in the ecosystem just as we do. Most importantly, he taught me that unless I was going to eat it (or it was going to eat me!), I had no reason to take the life of any animal.

He taught me the skills and patience needed to become a successful hunter, even when I was not so patient or skillful. Now that I have a 13 year son of my own, I'm realizing the agony I probably put my father through, all those cold days when I wanted to go back to a warm house... or, after 10 minutes in the stand, I was POSITIVE no deer were coming. He would just hand me a turkey sandwich and a thermos of hot chocolate, and tell me to be patient. It turns out, that he was right most of the time.

My biggest hope is that 20 years from now, my son still wants to go hunting with his dad, just like I do. It won't even bother me if I'm not the best hunter he ever knew...that honor belongs to his grandfather.

19-Apr-16
TBM, obviously.

19-Apr-16
Duh... TMB.

19-Apr-16
Bob, that was a great and touching tribute you wrote about Roy this month in Bowhunter. Nice work.

19-Apr-16
Contrary to popular belief, its a good chance the best hunter known doesnt even post here on Bowsite....

Just saying

19-Apr-16
One of the best is in my opinion Tim Wells . I was pretty damb good 20 yrs ago , not so good now . Got old and lazy and forgetful .

19-Apr-16
Best I know personally is a deer hunter(Nelson Harrington) and only with a bow. He is 79 now and has killed 8 or 9 P&Y bucks in the last 10 years and many before that. He once told me he has killed a couple hundred deer and still shoots small bucks as well as big bucks. I asked him why he shoots the small 1.5 and 2.5 year olds and his simple answer was I like to hunt and kill deer. I cannot say he has taught me a lot but I am chasing him!! He is still going strong so I may never catch up. Shawn

20-Apr-16
Although I never met him, I know several guys who knew Paul Schafer. His drive and ability with a stick bow puts him at the top of the heap as a all around great bowhunter. Not to mention a outstanding bowyer.

20-Apr-16
I'll add a lil cold water....

The best hunter I know is usually the best guy I know that hunts....

How they treat the endeavor,their quarry and ultimately their hunting buddies carries the day for me.

20-Apr-16
Kinda off the board a bit, but I got to hunt with the kalahari bushmen in Namibia. Those guys hunting skills are ridiculous. It's like they are using magic. I'd rather have a pack of bloodhounds after me than one bushman with a stick.

20-Apr-16
I watched a documentary about the Kalahari bushmen 46 years ago in high school. You're right, they are almost superhuman with their hunting abilities. Sport hunters, regardless of how good they are, aren't even in the same league as those people. But then again, if they are awake, they are hunting. It's that or die.

I think what amazed me the most about them, was how this one hunting party took off into the bush for a week, WITH NOTHING MORE THAN THEIR WEAPONS, A WATER GOURD AND THE CLOTHES THE HAD ON!!! No problem. They knew where to find food, water, shelter, whatever. Modern day sport hunters carry more in their fanny pack for a hunt 200 yards from the road than what the Bushmen's entire village owns.

And then there's their tracking skills....OMG! They tracked a wounded giraffe OVER ROCKS!

22-Apr-16
Brotsky....couldn't have said it better myself!!

22-Apr-16
I have a friend in Co. that nobody has ever heard of. He and his son get it done no matter what.

Pete Buist, aka Pete in Fairbanks. Great hunter and great person.

Big Dan. I will get to hunt with him for elk this September.

Straight Shooter here on Bs. Great guy who knows how to get it done.

My brother in law who will never give up. Great attitude in camp regardless of weather and game.

I would love to share a camp with Randy Bomars, Jake Ensign and Randy Newburg. All on Bs. They have all been great contacts and great people.

I have been blessed. Can't pick just one.

24-Apr-16
I know Frank Noska pretty well and Frank has been the most successful Bowhunter of North American big game as it relates to record keeping anyway.

24-Apr-16
Wade Kelly of Alagash, Me. Tracking wounded game with him is almost a spiritual experience. He got a friend of mine a 60" moose in Maine also.

TBB

24-Apr-16

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Here is a recent picture of how Frank Noska hunts! This is DIY Alaska!

25-Apr-16
Blacktail Bob is right about Frank and such a nice guy. I'll bet he would be smiling just as big with or without the caribou on the ground.

25-Apr-16

Genesis's embedded Photo
Genesis's embedded Photo
All he does is smile cuz all he does is shoot big.

He ain't too good to shoot a Big 8 etter....

26-Apr-16
Whitetails - Larry Benoit RIP

26-Apr-16
Frank x2

26-Apr-16
Have spent some time with Frank in Colorado, up in Alaska and at P&Y. He took my son and I out fishing in that yellow plane last time we were up there. Great guy to hang out with and lots of fun in camp. He is definitely driven to get whatever he is after! Keep trying to get him to shoot something with a longbow, though...

26-Apr-16
Frank is a hell of a Bowhunter. Glad I was able to share a hunt with him this past spring.

26-Apr-16
Hands down Steve Garcia.

26-Apr-16
my Dad.

26-Apr-16
You guys are going to give Noska a big head :)

John

27-Apr-16
For me its Blacktail Bob who actually hunted when I was hunting the other is Jake Ensign but I never hunted with him was just in camp when he came for a late season hunt. They are both are some of the finest men I have ever met in my life!

27-Apr-16
I've got to vote for my old man! I sure do miss him, as humble as they come but one hell of a woodsman and had the racks to prove it!

01-May-16

kellyharris's Link
Well I stand corrected by all the post on every damn possible hunting website there is in the universe this guy has posted every kill he has ever had!

I guess the little guy needs to prove how (BIG) of a hunter he actually is to everyone out there!

How does that song go (I want to be like Nick)

01-May-16
Surprised nobody has mentioned Paul Shafer. A heck of a hunter and pretty low key about his success.

Lots of the ones mentioned are big well known names along with some old time legends. If I had to pick someone I personally know..... a regular guy who is an all around great hunter who always gets the job done and is good person to share a camp with it would be Hunter Andrews aka Hunt Man. Puts a lot of other people on game beside himself too. Top shelf guy.

01-May-16
Myles Keller, he was getting it done before trail cameras and all the other gadgets of today.

01-May-16
Hunt man has sent me a PM or two before, he is truly a class act!

01-May-16
I'd hunt with the Hunt Man.

02-May-16
I'll mention Paul Schafer, I had the privilege of hunting with him as a teenager on several occasions and believe it or not along with Gene and Barry Wensel on some of the same trips. I have come to appreciate him more in his passing as I look back. As a teenager, I was laser focused on whitetails and he didn't have as many big whitetails as the Wensel brothers or Paul Brunner or Dick Idol.....so I didn't think he was "as good." Now, as I've branched out into hunting different animals, he stands out more and more.

Paul was such a good all around hunter and could shoot under fatigue, pressure and stress which is one of the main tests for truly great bow hunters. Paul loved to hunt all different types of animals and really didn't hunt just one species as some with more notoriety have done. He was also an athlete which isn't a make or break skill set but as a former wrestler and football great, he would go to extremes and never give up or be discouraged. Montana seems to be a great proving ground for many of the best bow hunters we've had simply because of opportunity for so many animals and different hunting styles. You have guys and gals here that are well versed in stand hunting, stalking, run and gun and calling and still hunting from prairies in the east to mountains in the western part of the state.

Nowadays, it's hard to measure purely from animals taken since many now are hunting unpressured animals on leased ground or managed land of their own. There has always been some of that going on but it's a growing segment now combined with better equipment and technology.

I can think of 3 or 4 guys that are really high caliber bow hunters in Montana right now that are fairly young. They are very successful and sacrifice nearly everything to be out there each fall. They exist in every state but like I said before, a state like ours gives someone the opportunity to be experienced in varied hunting styles and conditions.

I hadn't heard of some of the previous mentioned guys nominated earlier in the thread, but I would bet they'd be a blast to share hunting camp with.

02-May-16
The best hunter/archer I've ever know is Jim Waggoner. He lives in southern Illinois and has taken more P&Y bucks than most of the TV hunters out there. He had his left arm replanted (blew it off) back in the 70s. He can still out shoot 90% of the archers around. Dry as dirt, full of wisdom but you better pay attention cause he'll only say it once. I consider myself blessed to know him and call him my friend.

05-May-16
I know a guy from MN whose top 6 bucks net over 1000 inches. All were taken by him with a recurve bow in wolf country. The guy is barely 40 some years old I believe.

05-May-16
Didn't know him but Paul Schafer is probably the best hunter ever. Gene and Barry Wensel are the best whitetail hunters I know of. Roger Rothaar too

No disrespect to some of the TV hunters today but they aren't even in the same league as the guys above.

06-May-16
Monty Browning. A great humble man that knows how to hunt and is very ethical in his methods.

06-May-16
Nah, Frank's already got a big head, John!

Not sure I could name the "best hunter" I know or knew. Have known and know a lot of guys that are or have been excellent hunters in their time. Some big names and some that stay under the radar.

10-May-16
Peter Iacavazzi is a great hunter and should be in this group. He's a good all around guy and the guy who introduced me to Mike Mitten that's an absolute great hunter and just plain solid outdoorsman.... Mikey is just a good guy! You've taught me a lot about those whiteys buddy! Cheers!

10-May-16
Richard Eriksen

• Sitka Gear