Jaquomo 30-Apr-16
ElkNut1 01-May-16
Charlie Rehor 01-May-16
TurkeyTed 01-May-16
flatshooter 30-Oct-22
md5252 31-Oct-22
Jordan 31-Oct-22
20-Apr-16
Looking at a few elk hunts and it appears most hunts are 2x1. Some offer 1x1 for extra money. I will be going by myself so if I do chose a 2x1 hunt it will be with a hunter I do not know.

Has anyone on here done this? One of my concerns is if the other guy shoots an elk, there is a day of hunting lost while the guide and hunters break down the elk

Looking for pro's and cons.

Thanks

20-Apr-16
I have done a couple elk hunts this way and it is not ideal. I'd spend the extra $$$.

Your concern is valid. Also work out the who shoots first and what is the rotation for being your turn going to be. I've lucked out and had good partners, but wouldn't do one of these again.

20-Apr-16
I'm with Kota man spend the extra, 50% less stalk , if you don't like the guy your stuck,

20-Apr-16
I've done a 2x1 and been paired up with a stranger. It worked out well on that elk hunt, as he wanted to tree stand hunt and I didn't, so each morning we dropped him in a stand and went hunting, so essentially I almost had a 1-1 hunt.

It can go BAD. Screaming bull coming in, who shoots, who sets up where etc.

Typically I think 1-1 is another $50-$100/day, it would be worth it for the peace of mind.

I love 2x1 hunts when it's with my wife! Seeing her when elk bugle etc is worth the price of the trip!

20-Apr-16
Maverick940 is right on target. Too many variables can crop up and create a costly misunderstanding. Discuss what exactly your guide means by 2 on 1 .

20-Apr-16
I did this once. I was paired with a well known, high profile hunter (that I didn't know personally). He was a good guy - but more experienced than I with this approach to hunting. So, it was "his turn" when we spotted our first decent mulie buck; he declined the stalk opportunity. Being a victim of my own inexperience, when the guide then offered the stalk to me – I said “sure, I will give it a try”. Point is that the chances of success on that buck were probably poor to none given the situation. So when I tried and failed, then the other guy was in line for the next "opportunity" - which turned out to be a much more doable situation on a much better buck. Lesson learned!!!

20-Apr-16
Remember, mathematics and frustration are at play...

1x1 will double your number of stalks/setups and thus your opportunity for success doubles.

Being with a hunter you have never met will quadruple your frustration levels.

It's an investment:)!

Mark

20-Apr-16
It took me a while to learn this unfortunately, but it is much cheaper to pay more money once by upping your odds of success by hunting with a top caliber outfitter in a top area and get your animal on the first trip than it is to go on a cheaper hunt but hunting 2-1 in a possibly lesser area which may cause you to have to go back multiple times to finally get the same animal.

2-1 are good if you know the guy you will be hunting with and you want to go spend good quality time with your buddy. Taking the animal is the icing on the cake. If you are dead set that you have to get your animal, pay the extra money and go 1-1. After your hunt, if you are successful you wont regret paying the extra money but if you go 2-1 and you don't get your animal I promise you that you will be wishing you paid more the first time.

20-Apr-16
Do not book a 2 on 1 hunt with someone you don't know. If it were an antelope hunt or something where your partner's physical ability didn't have such a bearing on your daily hunts it might be different.

If you have no choice then ask for the contact info for the other guy and talk to him in person and do your best to make sure you are a good match personality wise too.

20-Apr-16
I am in agreement with several of the others...No way would I do 2x1 with a stranger, and I can count on 1 hand the guys I know that I would book a 2x1 hunt with.

22-Apr-16
Yeah. Good stuff guys. Kinda what I was thinking. Looking thru the BSC catalog shows mostly 2x1 hunts with 1x1 as an option

22-Apr-16

B N A A guy's embedded Photo
B N A A guy's embedded Photo

B N A A guy's Link
kota-man and others are spot on. Other hunts work fine for 2 on 1, Elk in my opinion is not one of them.

What type of hunt are you looking for?

Private land or horse back wilderness?

What caliber bull are you hoping to encounter and hopefully get a shot?

What type of realistic budget are you thinking about using for this hunt?

I am a Bowsite sponsor and we set up several clients for Elk hunts every year all over the West. There are still a few spots scattered around for a prime time Elk hunt. If you are interested in what we can offer you then please let me know. I have no doubt we can provide you an excellent archery Elk hunt!!

Where ever you wind up I wish you the very best of luck!!

Best regards, Scott Alberda

Bow and Arrow Adventures

(707) 260-9678

22-Apr-16
I did a two-on-one, once. It was amazing!

...wasn't a hunt tho. ;-)

22-Apr-16
take the wife... once you tag out, she can hunt if she wants too...

23-Apr-16
LOL Nick

23-Apr-16
I was on a two on one once. got paired with a nice guy who was clueless. There were 30 things he did in the week that were mnd blowing. The top two:

Had never been on a mountain or guided hunt before. Never hunted anything but deer. He brought one pair of shoes. This normal tennis shoes.

He went out on his own behind camp on day. Saw what he thought was a bedded cow elk and tried to stalk it. got closer and was about to shoot when it ran off. it was a coyote.

On the last day we were headed up the mountain. we heard a bugle, it bugled back, the guide said one of you come with me. I did not hesitate a fraction of a second even. I jumped in and went with the guide and killed the 5x6. No way that guy was going to cost me a chance at an elk. He was not a serious hunter.

I would not do a 2x1 for elk, moose, or anything where it is spot and stalk unless the I cared more about being with the other person than I did getting game. My son would be that only person.

other than that 1x1.

a 2x1 means someone is getting messed up.

23-Apr-16
Nick, I'm not as good 2x1 as I once was, but I'm as good 1x1 as I ever was.....

30-Apr-16
BNAA, Nice web site and very informative.

Looking to do a hunt next sept for my 40th b-day. Thought about doing Q/L caribou but too many horror stories. Maybe moose? Who knows. "Elk" and "September" sort of go hand-in-hand

30-Apr-16
When you consider time taken from work, home, family or whatever to hunt, money spent traveling to the hunt, having to split the hunting time with someone else, the economy of going one on one makes a lot more sense. My first was a 2 on 1 and it turned out I was the primary hunter for only 2 of the 5 days and the stranger who was the other hunter was indeed strange. I quickly figured that if I waited all year for the opportunity to elk hunt in Montana, it was much better to be the primary hunter each and every day and thus the money saved, even though higher outlay for one on one vs. two on one was was the most economical way for me to go.

30-Apr-16
I've guided both. With the 1x1 it was much more personalized, a true teaching experience where I could tailor the hunt to the physical abilities and expectations of the hunter.

With the 2x1 there are different expectations and abilities even if they've been best friends for many years.

Unless the two guys have worked out all the details of how they will conduct themselves beforehand and what each expects in terms of animal, shot selection, even fitness, I'd highly recommend paying extra for the 1x1 and getting a high quality experience.

30-Apr-16
I've guided both. With the 1x1 it was much more personalized, a true teaching experience where I could tailor the hunt to the physical abilities and expectations of the hunter.

With the 2x1 there are different expectations and abilities even if they've been best friends for many years.

Unless the two guys have worked out all the details of how they will conduct themselves beforehand and what each expects in terms of animal, shot selection, even fitness, I'd highly recommend paying extra for the 1x1 and getting a high quality experience.

30-Apr-16
The last 2x1 I did was a father and son. The son wanted to charge up the mountain and kill a trophy bull. Dad wanted to sniff the roses. I told dad we would let the son go get his trophy bull, then we would have the rest of the week to hunt at his pace. So we sent the son on up the ridge after the four bulls that were bugling.

He died on me on the mountain about 30 minutes after we decided to do that.

30-Apr-16
Who died on you

30-Apr-16
The dad. Sorry I didn't make that clear, Bou. A famous bomber pilot. One minute he told me it was the most beautiful morning he'd ever seen, the next minute he hit the dirt. I was on him instantly performing CPR but never got a pulse or a breath. He was in great shape, had just had a physical, EKG, treadmill before coming on the hunt.

His wife didn't want to do an autopsy. Said if he died like that, after all he'd been through in three wars, she was ok with it.

The last sound he heard was an elk bugle.

01-May-16
5 day hunt, 1 on 1 -- 7-10 day hunt 2 on 1 would work. I wouldn't be as concerned with a 2nd hunter as many here seem to be. I've taken over a 100 folks hunting over the years, 2 on 1 is not a big deal. But trying to get two bulls down & packed out in 5 days can be a real challenge unless there are elk everywhere? If money is no object consider the 1 on 1 if it is then go for the 2 on 1 & have a great time, it's up to your guide to know his stuff, you should both have one chance per day if 2 on 1!

Dates are important too, go after Sept 10th for best results!

ElkNut1

01-May-16
The 2 on 1's I've been on with Dan at RockingR work real well. Dan has a lot of ground blinds, aerial blinds, water holes and heavy trails set up and depending on preference one guy can set up and the other can go run and gun with the guide or both can run and gun. If you have good action on private ground it works out fine! I'm sure every opportunity is different but we had lots of options. Good luck C

01-May-16
I've been on 3 2-1 hunts with the same outfitter and always have been by myself. it could turn into a huge issue, best bet is to ask outfitter or pay up front. I can't imagine getting stuck with someone you just can't stand or holds you back, uggh

30-Oct-22
Question: is the suggested 10 percent guide tip shared by two hunters on a 2x1 hunt

31-Oct-22
I would never do a 2/1 hunt with anyone I didn’t know.

At the very least you’re paying full price to essentially hunt half the time…. Eff that!

31-Oct-22
So.........I was thinking a hunt with Lou would be pretty cool but now.........hmmmmmm... You should check with Forestbows to see how he runs his guided hunts. Flattops Adventures. Fo' Sure.

• Sitka Gear